Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: compubox punchstats
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
flazi
was it me or was the compubox punchstats way off for the khan maidana fight? i think khan was given way too much credit for his flashy punches that didnt land as much as they recorded them. i know its hard to track punches from speedsters like khan. i only think you can really count what he throws cause if you look to see what he lands you miss the next 2 punches he throws. if you look at maidana's face, he barely had a scratch on him. i don't care who it is, even if my 10 year old son, anyone hits you that many times in the face you are gonna have marks.
AussieLad
Wasnt the option of force sensors on the gloves being discussed? A tool that would let you measure the power of a punch would surely let you count punch volume more accurately as well. It only weighs an ounce, which may seem like a lot given the relative weight of the gloves, but surely they can shave a few grams off the glove itself to compensate?
thehype
When are the compubox numbers NOT off?

dntknw.gif

LOL.

Have any of you actually seen the compubox guys hard at work trying to count punches? It's like playing a video game...you gotta have some really good hand-eye coordination.
Snoop
They were underrating Maidana's punches all night. I remember seeing something like 38 punches landed through round 4, and then went on to show a 7 punch combo landed by Maidana in slow motion. Just felt off when you show a replay landing 1/5 of the recorded punches in a span of 3 seconds.
gravytrain
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Dec 13 2010, 03:16 PM) *
Wasnt the option of force sensors on the gloves being discussed? A tool that would let you measure the power of a punch would surely let you count punch volume more accurately as well. It only weighs an ounce, which may seem like a lot given the relative weight of the gloves, but surely they can shave a few grams off the glove itself to compensate?

they're not going to remove padding for the sensors.

they discussed it but they didn't want it. i guess that added 1.5 oz would be too much for them.
Jack 1000
Kill Compubox. It's little more than a childish toy, and is rarely accurate anyway.

Jack
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Dec 13 2010, 05:34 PM) *
Kill Compubox. It's little more than a childish toy, and is rarely accurate anyway.

Jack

some aspects of it i like, some i don't. but to be honest i don't need to know some dude landed 2/20 jabs, i can just watch the fight and see he's not landing them lol.
Fitz
The only thing I like compubox for is to measure the punch output. I don't put much stock into it, for punches landed, just to gauge the work rate of a fighter.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 13 2010, 06:17 PM) *
The only thing I like compubox for is to measure the punch output. I don't put much stock into it, for punches landed, just to gauge the work rate of a fighter.

same here,...

but often I see a fight totally different than compubox......

its kinda like the new "punch zone"....I think that was introduced just to ease the casual fan
flazi
yeah the compubox guys work really hard so i can't knock them, especially in any fight where dudes are throwing bunches of punches like in the khan maidana fight. the punch zone if i am correct uses compubox stats right?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (thehype @ Dec 13 2010, 04:20 PM) *

dntknw.gif

LOL.

Have any of you actually seen the compubox guys hard at work trying to count punches? It's like playing a video game...you gotta have some really good hand-eye coordination.

What would be hard for me is staying focused while doing that job. It's like you have to just focus on one guy only and his punches and not really "watch" the fight. I would be terrible at that job. I could see me for 15-30 seconds just sitting there during heated exchanges enjoying a fight not pressing shit.

Crazy I do not think I ever saw how they operate their system. I also wonder if they ever go back to replay and maybe slo-mo and just see how accurate they are live on fight night? Check and see if most of these stats are close to legit.
stateofthegame
QUOTE (thehype @ Dec 14 2010, 03:20 AM) *

dntknw.gif

LOL.

Watching the compubox guys is funny. I have seen them looking at things in the crowd or at women walking by still pressing the buttons. You can never count on them.
BrutalBodyShots
I agree with Fitz, I like them for THROWN punches. Landed punches are subjective; 3 different people watching from 3 different angles will produce 3 different #'s of landed punches while their tallies of thrown punches will be equal or at least nearly equal.

kingknockout
the compu box stats can stop an argument in this forum about who "went" to work in the ring and who "didn't" we take that away and we'll see people in here giving credit to a boxer than indeed did less in a fight when people thought he did more......it has happened more than once.......only for the compu stats to show up at the end of the fight to let people know that THAT FIGHTER INDEED did less...no matter how "busy" he looked.

keep it, it's been here for years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.