Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins vs. Pascal: Preview and Predictions
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
SmartyBeardo
BHop needs a KO, IMO, and I don't think he gets it.
Method
Let the mind games begin...

...and Pascal out of his element...talking about Hopkins taking blood tests b/c he shares the same coach as Mosley...ahahaha...

Pascal just seems so in over his head, mentally.

Snoop
Pascal being led by his emotions. Never goes anywhere good in the fight game.
caneman
It is easy to see Pascal has never been on a stage this big and we know X has. It's hard to say how this fight goes IMO. I just hope X lets his hands go & puts on a good fight from start to finish, he might like being the underdog but he will have to WIN this fight & win it big to get the nod! It should be interesting!
Lil-lightsout
I know I am in the minority here, but I like Pascal in this one. I have liked what I have seen in his last few outings, and again I guess it's just me. I really am looking forward to this fight. If Hopkins would win this one impressively, that would just be freaking amazing to me at his age.

I for one just hope we get a concrete winner either way, no BS controversial decision. Just fair scoring. Also wondered who the ref for this fight? Local guy or neutral ref could make a big difference.
stateofthegame
I am going with Hopkins, I am still not sold on Pascal. If Dawson would have just fought I think he would have won, but he allowed Pascal to fight his fight in his hometown. Hopkins will not do that. People always talk about Hopkins not being able to fight the whole round anymore but to me Pascal does the exact same thing and I think that plays into Hopkins favor.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 15 2010, 05:15 PM) *
I know I am in the minority here, but I like Pascal in this one. I have liked what I have seen in his last few outings, and again I guess it's just me. I really am looking forward to this fight. If Hopkins would win this one impressively, that would just be freaking amazing to me at his age.

I for one just hope we get a concrete winner either way, no BS controversial decision. Just fair scoring. Also wondered who the ref for this fight? Local guy or neutral ref could make a big difference.

referee: Michael Griffin | judge: Claude Paquette | judge: Daniel Van de Wiele | judge: Steve Morrow

Local ref, Paquette is local, and Morrow is probably going to be the only objective judge.

i think the Jones rematch wasn't a good showing of what Hopkins is capable of but he's going to get no breaks fighting over there with a local judge and ref. I'm a little tempted to throw $50 down on a draw just because of the payout LOL. I think Pascal probably wins by MD though.

BoxingStill#1

though Ill obviously be pulling for my man B-hop

pascal in a ugly decision.....
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 15 2010, 03:34 PM) *

...and Pascal out of his element...talking about Hopkins taking blood tests b/c he shares the same coach as Mosley...ahahaha...

I just watched this with the sound down being at work, and it was interesting to watch the body language and eye contact. Pascal just got owned in this exchange. Reminds me alot of the Traver weigh-in. You gotta hand it to Nard that was some crafty veteran stuff right there.
caneman
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 15 2010, 05:15 PM) *

It will be amazing if X could win impressively @ his age! Nothing would shock me when it comes old BHop though. I will say this, Pascal did a great job in the Dawson fight to beat a guy people thought was the future of the P4P list. X will have to fight well to win this one...there is so much stacked against him with the judges and ref.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Dec 15 2010, 05:53 PM) *
I just watched this with the sound down being at work, and it was interesting to watch the body language and eye contact. Pascal just got owned in this exchange. Reminds me alot of the Traver weigh-in. You gotta hand it to Nard that was some crafty veteran stuff right there.

I know I thought the same thing,...It kinda got me thinking Pascals excitement might due him in....

QUOTE (caneman @ Dec 15 2010, 05:59 PM) *
It will be amazing if X could win impressively @ his age! Nothing would shock me when it comes old BHop though. I will say this, Pascal did a great job in the Dawson fight to beat a guy people thought was the future of the P4P list. X will have to fight well to win this one...there is so much stacked against him with the judges and ref.

Agreed,....it has to be a decisive win,....
D-MARV
I hope Hopkins knocks his ass out!!! Pascal has become so overrated it's not even funny. Hops definitely BITCHED his ass at the stare down.
Fitz
Don't know that Pascal is overrated. The messages I am getting from most have been summed up in this thread and past discussions, and that is "they aren't sold on Pascal".
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 15 2010, 06:33 PM) *
Don't know that Pascal is overrated. The messages I am getting from most have been summed up in this thread and past discussions, and that is "they aren't sold on Pascal".

I'm not talking about anybody in this thread... just around the boxing world in general.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Dec 15 2010, 10:53 PM) *

I did the same as im also at work, wish I knew what was being said, but for sure Pascal was out of his element there
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 16 2010, 10:37 AM) *
I'm not talking about anybody in this thread... just around the boxing world in general.

Yeah, I wasn't just talking about this thread, I mentioned past discussions as well. Sure some people are impressed with Pascal, but I think most aren't sold on him yet. Just look at the discussion of the Dawson-Pascal thread. All of it was based on Dawson being a disappointment, and not much on the good work Pascal done. If it was someone that was impressive and people enjoyed, the discussion would have taken a different path and been about Pascal, but it wasn't. It was never about Pascal winning, it was all about Dawson losing, and most of the times, that says something on the opinion of someone.
I think Pascal has gained recognition and impressed some people, but as a whole, I don't think he is overrated because I don't think he is rated as highly to begin with. Look at Ward-Kessler, Ward wins and rightfully so, it's all about Ward, he enters p4p lists and such. Pascal beats Dawson, and not looked at it in the same way. Despite Pascal being the favourite, I don't think he is very overrated, but that's my take on it.
caneman
Pascal is a solid favorite! I seen most are about +250 -195 anyone actually betting on this one?
Method
I got $ on Ex at +220 and $ on Ex at +190. I dont see ANYWHERE where he is +250. He was +260 about 3-4 weeks ago, but those odds have since narrowed, and I suspect they will continue to narrow. Pascal is way out of his league here.
Fitz
I put money on Hopkins by decision. I will also put some more money on Hopkins on the weekend probably. I also put $20 on a draw.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 15 2010, 06:56 PM) *
I put money on Hopkins by decision. I will also put some more money on Hopkins on the weekend probably. I also put $20 on a draw.

smart man, I put $50 on a draw and will probably bump it up to $100. i want to put some money on BHop but i'm wary of the ref and judges.
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 15 2010, 06:54 PM) *
Pascal is way out of his league here.

I'm seeing this a lot in this thread, but I don't see it as such........

Pascal is going to present Hopkins with some problems...

Young, hungry, fast, explosive,.....

idk though really...
BrutalBodyShots
I have not seen all too much of Pascal, but from what I have seen he seems like a bit of a front runner. I have not seen his entire fight with Dawson, but from what I did see it looked like Dawson was coming on late before the cut stopped it. Without question Dawson takes the 12th then we have a near even fight with Pascal probably winning by a round. Pretty typical of Dawson lately... his fights with Tarver and Johnson were also like 1 round fights and I don't think Tarver or Johnson are better than B fighters.

Anyway Pascal is going to throw that flashy shit at Hopkins, especially in close... I expect Hopkins to block/evade 99% of it, however the judges will score these "exchanges" for Hopkins so I see him getting behind on the cards. The only question is whether or not Hopkins has enough at this stage in his career to turn it up late and in the final third of the fight get Pascal out of there. You've gotta dig back to Hopkins' prime to fights like Echols, Trinidad, Daniels etc where he was getting guys out of there late. Not sure he has enough to do it at this point. Regardless I think he takes the last third of the fight and the score comes out around 115-113 or so... it would just be nice to see Hopkins stop this dude.

JD
I like Pascal by decision.

I think he has underrated toughness and was coming off his longest inactive streak against Dawson because of shoulder surgery. 46 is a month away and I just think that you could see some age on Ex against Roy and even Ornelas, at some point it has to sneak up on him...and against an athletic dude in his own backyard, I am hard pressed to see Hopkins doing enough to win.

I wanted to see Hop ride off after the Pavlik fight...but he wanted some more scalps, and eventually a dude like that hangs out too long and loses to a fighter they would have handled with little problem at their peak.
caneman
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 15 2010, 06:54 PM) *
I got $ on Ex at +220 and $ on Ex at +190. I dont see ANYWHERE where he is +250. He was +260 about 3-4 weeks ago, but those odds have since narrowed, and I suspect they will continue to narrow. Pascal is way out of his league here.

http://www.docsports.com/boxing/boxing-odds.html most are lower though! I wrote it backwards too! duh
kidbazooka1
I hope Hopkins takes this final one and ends it at that.
JLUVBABY
woe... that was great stuff by bernard. i know i always bring this up when talking bout staredown but tyson always said you can see through a mans soul straight into his heart or words close to those effects during a staredown... but the first time when bernard kept his belt you could see pascal got very mad... im sure he told hop give me my belt where as i would assume hop told him to take it if he wanted it... lol... old school bully tactics right there... well hopkins appeared the stronger man in that exchange and i think pascal felt it.... at the second stare down pascal cant look him in the eye for more than a second he looked away... i bring up tysons statement on the staredown cuzz he always felt the scared fighter or the fighter with doubt would always look down or away in order in his mind to not show the fear... i have to say it... i was picking pascal to win this fight but hopkins may have done everything he needed to do at that final stare down... lol... did i just change my pick?... lol..damn!!! pascal got his ass owned in a major ass way... i havent seen that type of shit since the school yard days.... had his belt son... great great stuff right there... lol... def round one and 2 of the mind games for hop big... pascal, the champ, couldnt even get his belt back..
TRU
Please people... we've seen the tough guy bully antics by Bernard before.

When will the boxing fans learn. When it comes to fight time... Hopkins is gonna move, lean to his right, grab, throw a few lead right hands, cry when he gets hit in the dick, then cry robbery at the end.

BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (TRU @ Dec 15 2010, 09:08 PM) *
Please people... we've seen the tough guy bully antics by Bernard before.

When will the boxing fans learn. When it comes to fight time... Hopkins is gonna move, lean to his right, grab, throw a few lead right hands, cry when he gets hit in the dick, then cry robbery at the end.

When someone can completely dominate him.........

Looks like we wont be learning anything anytime soon......
TRU
Bernard is one of my long-time favorites but he needs to hang them up soon. He said it was over after the Tarver fight.

That woulda been perfect for the old man.

He was a beast in the 90s.
JD
QUOTE (caneman @ Dec 15 2010, 04:57 PM) *
It is easy to see Pascal has never been on a stage this big and we know X has. It's hard to say how this fight goes IMO. I just hope X lets his hands go & puts on a good fight from start to finish, he might like being the underdog but he will have to WIN this fight & win it big to get the nod! It should be interesting!

I think you are underestimating how big of a fight Pascal - Diaconou was in Canada, same goes for his fight with Dawson. He fought in front of a packed house of insane Brits when he went to England to fight Froch; plus, all his fights sell out in Canada now.
D-MARV
Pretty much... I don't think Pascal is stepping up to "The Big Stage" in this fight. He's fought in Canada before and in front of thousands and thousands of fans. I can imagine that the Froch fight was pretty crazy as well. I still hope Bernard knocks his block off though. Sadly, I just think that Pascal is too young for the old man. I hope Pascal does the right thing and rematch Dawson after the Hopkins fight.
Method
Nah, Bernard snatched this cat's soul. Even JT, for better or worse, got all up in the old man's grill when the old man tried to get mental on him. Pascal pulled the pre-fight equivalent of what Pavlik pulled post fight - "Yes, Masta'"
D-MARV
True... Pascal couldn't even look the man in his eyes... I was surprised by how much bigger Hopkins looked than Pascal.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 15 2010, 09:19 PM) *
Nah, Bernard snatched this cat's soul. Even JT, for better or worse, got all up in the old man's grill when the old man tried to get mental on him. Pascal pulled the pre-fight equivalent of what Pavlik pulled post fight - "Yes, Masta'"

that second staredown tells the story...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 15 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Yeah, JLUV, and Bush looked into Putin's soul too.

All Pascal has to do is survive. The Canadians are shameless homers.

after that showing beardo... you may be right but i hope hopkins puts it together and knocks this cat out... then retires... man thats the shit legends are made of... that was great.... tell you what i was a hopkins fan back when he was fighting on B.E.T... a lot of boxing fans dont know bet showed fights back in the days and thats where i would catch him.... watched him there through his reign as middleweight champ... watched him change his style to adapt to his years as a fighter as he knew he was slowing down... after seeing this old school fighter pull what he pulled... if he beats pascal, young champ who beat dawson who was concieved as the man... and does it in fabulous style and fashion to boot... p4p wont be what is in question but where does the man rank as far as greatest fighters to lace em up... the final piece to greatness is longevity and he has that now... but to win the light heavy strap at 45, and this is the legit belt, he has a fountain of youth... if he does pull it off i for one would like to see him hang it up... not that he does now but he'll have nothing else to prove.... not sure how the fight goes but my heart will be with b hop...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 15 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Yeah, JLUV, and Bush looked into Putin's soul too.

All Pascal has to do is survive. The Canadians are shameless homers.

after that showing beardo... you may be right but i hope hopkins puts it together and knocks this cat out... then retires... man thats the shit legends are made of... that was great.... tell you what i was a hopkins fan back when he was fighting on B.E.T... a lot of boxing fans dont know bet showed fights back in the days and thats where i would catch him.... watched him there through his reign as middleweight champ... watched him change his style to adapt to his years as a fighter as he knew he was slowing down... after seeing this old school fighter pull what he pulled... if he beats pascal, young champ who beat dawson who was concieved as the man... and does it in fabulous style and fashion to boot... p4p wont be what is in question but where does the man rank as far as greatest fighters to lace em up... the final piece to greatness is longevity and he has that now... but to win the light heavy strap at 45, and this is the legit belt, he has a fountain of youth... if he does pull it off i for one would like to see him hang it up... not that he does now but he'll have nothing else to prove.... not sure how the fight goes but my heart will be with b hop...
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 15 2010, 02:34 PM) *

That's what we call on the East Coast "A Jack Move". Hopkins gets in folks heads plain and simple. He did it to Tito with the flag, he did it to De La Hoya with the dead man walking speech etc. etc. Gimme Hopkins by UD. Pascal looked shook and will walk into traps all night long.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 15 2010, 11:15 PM) *

Agree. Surprised how many are picking Hopkins in this fight, despite some factors leading into the fight.

After that staredown I'm not sure how the fight unfolds as both fighters a running high on emotion here (yes, Hopkins too). It's definitely a good start for Bernard after that school yard shit he pulled, but all Pascal has to do at this point now is stand up come fight time! If Pascal can at least do that when their inside the ring, Bernard will find himself in a fight. Now Hopkins better hope he didn't piss off the wrong kid!

QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 16 2010, 12:45 AM) *
Yeah, I wasn't just talking about this thread, I mentioned past discussions as well. Sure some people are impressed with Pascal, but I think most aren't sold on him yet. Just look at the discussion of the Dawson-Pascal thread. All of it was based on Dawson being a disappointment, and not much on the good work Pascal done. If it was someone that was impressive and people enjoyed, the discussion would have taken a different path and been about Pascal, but it wasn't. It was never about Pascal winning, it was all about Dawson losing, and most of the times, that says something on the opinion of someone.
I think Pascal has gained recognition and impressed some people, but as a whole, I don't think he is overrated because I don't think he is rated as highly to begin with. Look at Ward-Kessler, Ward wins and rightfully so, it's all about Ward, he enters p4p lists and such. Pascal beats Dawson, and not looked at it in the same way. Despite Pascal being the favourite, I don't think he is very overrated, but that's my take on it.

Great post. It's a shame because it was a pretty big win for Pascal, who I don't think many were expecting the fight to look the way it did. Dawson who had been tested before in the past, was highly regarded was beatin for the first time in his career and it gets played down big time because the majority didn't like the result.

Both fighters have so much to gain if they win this fight. I'm expecting to see a lot of action & drama from both fighters in the ring!
gravytrain
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 15 2010, 10:19 PM) *

BHop has been clowning on him bad. All that's left for BHop to do is come to the weigh in and pull a Haitian flag and Canadian flag out of his ass then throw them at Pascal.

QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 15 2010, 10:12 PM) *
Pretty much... I don't think Pascal is stepping up to "The Big Stage" in this fight. He's fought in Canada before and in front of thousands and thousands of fans. I can imagine that the Froch fight was pretty crazy as well. I still hope Bernard knocks his block off though. Sadly, I just think that Pascal is too young for the old man. I hope Pascal does the right thing and rematch Dawson after the Hopkins fight.

I just don't think Hopkins can do enough to get a decision there, he's not about to go up there and be given a close round.
Method
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 16 2010, 01:01 AM) *
I said months ago, when this fight was announced, that this is a no lose situation for BHop. He travels to the young lion's fortress and steals his belt before the fight even begins. If BHop finds a way to KO Pascal he becomes one of the ATGs. If he beats Pascal around the ring and is robbed, it is a modern tragedy. If he is beaten soundly by the young lion, he goes out on his shield in a battle against all odds.

I have to admit that Pascal basically got sonned on the video. He lost his composure. He should have ignored BHop or at most laughed at his snaggle toothed ass.

I hope BHop silences the Canadian crowd.

Damn, SB, you may have been prophetic, cuz he done snatched the belt...literally.

I will say this, to corroborate what Beardo said - CANADIANS ARE SHAMELESS HOMERS. See ANY US-based NHL team vs Montreal...ridic.
Method
Two things I expect to see in this fight (and I will be looking for prop bet odds in the case of the first):

1.) Look for Pascal to tase canvas. Bernard will catch Pascal jumping in on him and put him down. Whether its with a straight right hand (ala Calzaghe, or a nasty uppercut (ala Lipsey), I really do believe we'll see it happen. It may be flush, or it could be something a lot more debilitating (it really depends on what he catches him with and how good Pascal's chin is).

2.) Don't be surprised to see Pascal cut by an unintentional clash of heads. He clashed heads w Dawson. Bernard is a master of clashing without intentionally butting. He holds his ground against guys that jump in on him, and they usually always wind up smashing into his head - Wright, Calzaghe, etc.
TRU
I'm gonna miss Bernard when he's gone.

But right now... I want Pascal to do the deed and send the old man into retirement.

SENTRAL
Jean Pascal shouldnt beat B-Hop but he is definitely going to, absolutely sure of it. This will be Hopkins last fight.
Method
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Dec 16 2010, 01:21 PM) *
Jean Pascal shouldnt beat B-Hop but he is definitely going to, absolutely sure of it. This will be Hopkins last fight.

Who is that jumpoff in your sig?
Sunni6Killer
B-Hop by decision.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
In that staredown you could almost see Pascal thinking "Damn I hope he still doesn't have one of those Kelly Pavlik type performances left in him."

I don't often take much from those face-off type situations but you could literally see the doubt written on Pascal's face. Bernard looked like his slave master laugh.gif

It has solidfied my pick.
kingknockout
dont even know who pascal is, but no one seems to remember how old hopkins looked in the jones fight?

yet they're pulling for him and making this seem like it'll be a show.

this is going to be a boring fight.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (kingknockout @ Dec 16 2010, 07:15 PM) *
dont even know who pascal is, but no one seems to remember how old hopkins looked in the jones fight?

yet they're pulling for him and making this seem like it'll be a show.

this is going to be a boring fight.

You may be right but the fight before Pavlik was Hopkins against Calzaghe and he didn't look so sharp. You should never ever count Nard out.
gravytrain
i really don't think Hopkins was going to look good against Jones anyway, against a more active fighter like Pascal we'll see what he's still capable of.
kingknockout
Maybe "age" is just a factor and "probably" it has finally caught up with him rolleyes_anim.gif

Just a MAYBE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.