Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2010 Fight Of The Year
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Imperius3
I listed as many as I could think of. If you feel I'm missing one, just suggest it and I'll add it.

My vote goes to Maidana-Khan. It was very dramatic and entertaining, one of the best this year for sure. I was rooting like hell for Maidana in the late rounds when he had Khan doing the chicken dance.

Marquez-Lopez was really close to getting my vote (I was at that fight live). It was a war, but the ending was too disappointing for me. It just didn't have a conclusive ending that a FOTY needs.

Kessler-Froch was good too, lots of back and forth action, very close fight.

What's your pick?
Lil-lightsout
Maidana-Khan for me. Lots of drama throughout.

I also liked Marquez-Lopez. But yeah the ending sucked.
JLUVBABY
id say khan maidana... maidana had me up in my hotel room cheering... lol... no question for fighter of the year tho... bernard hopkins... what he is doing at 45 it will be a long time before we see it again... im not gonna go as far as to say a second prime cuzz i did see some things i didnt like but his skill level he is fighting at is beyond approach for his age...
The CEO
I don't know about those options, Impy...lol.....iMo, at least half of them don't deserve to be candidates...

Marquez-Katsidis should be in there...I didn't see them, but I heard Soto-Antillon and Calderon-Segura were great...

My pick HANDS DOWN is Escalante-Roman...that fight had it all.
Imperius3
You're right, Katsidis-Marquez should be in there for sure. I was going to add it, but forgot. It's on there now.

I didn't see those other fights, and I haven't heard much about them either. I'll add those though if more people request it.
SmartyBeardo
Khan v Maidana.
D-MARV
Escalante-Roman is my pick too.

Hopkins-Pascal shouldn't be on that list. Usually lopsided fights don't get mention for F.O.T.Y.
The CEO
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 19 2010, 12:13 PM) *
Escalante-Roman is my pick too.

Hopkins-Pascal shouldn't be on that list. Usually lopsided fights don't get mention for F.O.T.Y.

For those who didn't see it, Escalante-Roman is what Khan-Maidana SHOULD have looked like...Escalante wanted to run and hold on the last few rounds, but manned up and closed the show like a champ instead...

There was no surviving...it was a pure War.
Imperius3
I added Escalante-Roman.

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 19 2010, 10:47 AM) *
id say khan maidana... maidana had me up in my hotel room cheering... lol... no question for fighter of the year tho... bernard hopkins... what he is doing at 45 it will be a long time before we see it again... im not gonna go as far as to say a second prime cuzz i did see some things i didnt like but his skill level he is fighting at is beyond approach for his age...

I think Martinez still gets the nod for Fighter of the Year. He has two solid wins over two solid opponents in Pavlik and Williams. His KO of Williams was spectacular and unexpected.

Hopkins beat an old Roy Jones, and he did beat Pascal...but he didn't get the official decision and was knocked down in the fight. I agree what Hopkins is doing at his age is definitely incredible though.
Sunni6Killer
Katsidis vs Marquez.
Mean Mister Mustard
Escalante-Roman was very good one. JMM-Katsidis was very good but it lacked the back and forth action of the Diaz fight, even though Katsidis managed to deck JMM.

Kessler-Froch was good but it got too sloppy at the end.

Pacquiao-Margarito was entertaining, and Margarito certainly gave it his all, but it was a bit too one sided.

I'll have to concur with the other posters, Escalante-Roman it is.
Romulus9
Soto-Antillon, Escalante-Roman, Marquez-Katsidis, JM Lopez-R. Marquez.

Can't go wrong with any of the four. I'd actually put them in that order myself but that's just my opinion.
Lil-lightsout
Who the heck voted for Mayweather-Mosley? MarzB?

That was far from FOTY, only one guy showed up for that fight. More like ass-kicking of the year, lol.
Snoop
Calderon vs Segura is worth mentioning.
gravytrain
I've to give it up to Hopkins/Pascal. Decent fight where Hopkins in my opinion dominated the top guy at 175 at age 45. After that I've Khan/Maidana and Froch/Kessler
mexi-cutioner
i voted Khan-Maidana, it was between that and Roman-Escalante, but the fact i'm a khan fan and like Maidana as well made this fight much more meaningful for me. However, I probably would've voted for Soto-Antillon if it was up there, that was a sick fight
mexi-cutioner
LOL SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THE FUCK MAYWEATHER-MOSLEY HAS THE SAME NUMBER OF VOTES AS ESCALANTE-ROMAN AND THERE ARE ZERO VOTES FOR SEGURA-CALDERON AND MARQUEZ-JM LOPEZ?!?!?!?!?! nuthugging at its finest...
Snoop
How are we judging FOTY? By action or by accomplishment? Mayweather/Mosley was impressive that he came back after a near 2nd rd knockdown to completely dominate the fight. Hopkins/Pascal was impressive for what Hopkins did at his accelerated age. But neither of these fights had any real back and forth action.
JLUVBABY
ok.. i voted for khan vs maidana but that soto/antillion fight wasnt on there... that was a great fight!!!
BoxingStill#1
voted marquez- katsidis.......

nothing like a turn around fight
SmartyBeardo
I voted for Khan v Maidana but I think it is a dead heat with Soto v Antillon.
Snoop
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 20 2010, 01:01 AM) *
I suppose the same way you judge a 'favourite fighters list'. Your favourite

laugh.gif

Haha. fuck.gif

But I still appreciate the $340 tip.

laugh.gif
salvador
For as many fights as there were that I was looking forward to this year, at the end of the day the list of potential FOTY candidates is pretty weak. I can't help but believe that there were some FNF fights in there earlier in the year that are being overlooked, though I can't think of any off hand.

BigG
Khan vs. Maidana
Hopkins vs Pascal

Johnson vs. Cloud was also a tremendous fight....
JD
Escalante - Roman...Segura - Calderon...Froch - Kessler.

Any one of those 3 for me.
blackbelt2003
PLEEEEEEEEEEASE - who voted for Mayweather-Mosley?

How is that, in any way shape or form, a great fight? It was actually a pretty dull fight after the 2nd round drama.

I'm going for Marquez-Katsidis.

Black
Hops
When judging FOTY:

1. Fight must be one of the high profile/popular fights.
2. Both fighters must be in a real fight.
3. Both fighters should look like they've been in a fight after the so called fight.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Hops @ Dec 20 2010, 04:05 PM) *
When judging FOTY:

1. Fight must be one of the high profile/popular fights.
2. Both fighters must be in a real fight.
3. Both fighters should look like they've been in a fight after the so called fight.

I disagree with #1.

Which reminds me, Jones v Karass may have actually been the FOTY.
Snoop
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 21 2010, 02:20 AM) *
Which reminds me, Jones v Karass may have actually been the FOTY.

Another good one to add to the mix. Damn, after looking at that list, we've been pretty spoiled this year.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 20 2010, 05:47 PM) *
Another good one to add to the mix. Damn, after looking at that list, we've been pretty spoiled this year.

Yep, the last two months alone were nearly a good year's worth.
Hops
I have "high profile/popular fight" added into my criteria because I could be looking at a fight happening in an alley and then declare it as my FOTY.
ViperSniper
I thought Litzau-Caballero & Perez-Mares was a better fight than Mayweather-Mosley dntknw.gif

I want to see Escalante-Roman & Soto-Antillon before I drop a vote..

But at this point in time I'm going with

Khan-Maidana
Segura-Calderon
Kessler-Froch
Lopez-Marquez
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Hops @ Dec 20 2010, 06:58 PM) *
I have "high profile/popular fight" added into my criteria because I could be looking at a fight happening in an alley and then declare it as my FOTY.

What's the problem with that?
gbh32001
It's a beauty to behold a boxing match without technically using the brain.All out war without calculative moves.I'll go for Soto-Antillon.Sweet science comes naturally with both men slug it out, they did not hesitate to throw bombs although far from elite fighters the entertenmaint they brings exceed far morethan of their peers.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Personally, I thought Khan-Maidana was fight of the year. Maidana looked done in the 1st round, but came back in the middle rounds. Just as Maidana seems to be getting back into the fight, and evening it up, Khan starts dominating again. Just as Khan looks to take over the fight, and put his stamp on a dominating victory, he is nearly knocked out. He barley survives and it was a close decision. That fight had all the excitement, drama, and action for fight of the year to me.

SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Dec 23 2010, 12:41 PM) *
Personally, I thought Khan-Maidana was fight of the year. Maidana looked done in the 1st round, but came back in the middle rounds. Just as Maidana seems to be getting back into the fight, and evening it up, Khan starts dominating again. Just as Khan looks to take over the fight, and put his stamp on a dominating victory, he is nearly knocked out. He barley survives and it was a close decision. That fight had all the excitement, drama, and action for fight of the year to me.

Sums it up well.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Hops @ Dec 20 2010, 08:58 PM) *

most high profile fights turn out to be less than stellar... its usually the fights on espn or hbo or showtime that produces those sparks... im figuring you are calling high profile fights the ppv duds we usually see... lol... if pac ever fights may i see another dud of a fight... using that as an example... more times than not they turn out to be less than action packed...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Dec 23 2010, 02:41 PM) *

yazzir... nicely said...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 24 2010, 07:30 AM) *
most high profile fights turn out to be less than stellar... its usually the fights on espn or hbo or showtime that produces those sparks... im figuring you are calling high profile fights the ppv duds we usually see... lol... if pac ever fights may i see another dud of a fight... using that as an example... more times than not they turn out to be less than action packed...

I don't know but I already smell the rancidness of May 7 like the concussion before a distant thud.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 24 2010, 09:51 AM) *
I don't know but I already smell the rancidness of May 7 like the concussion before a distant thud.

lol...
Jack 1000
Khan-Madaina.

Good choices. I liked Katsidis-Marquez, but a little too one-sided when compared to Khan-Madaina. How Khan survived that 10th round and than came back to be competitive in rounds 11 and 12, was unreal!

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.