Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andre Berto, who's stopping him?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
kingknockout
will his reign be short lived or will he go on as another mayweather record wise.

seems like berto wants to fight the best, good for boxing and boxing fans, but if he keeps calling out the elite guys it wont be too good for him.
ViperSniper
Fair question.

It seems none of the top guys want to give him a shot, the only guy at the time that was willing to fight him was Mosley & that fell apart. Credit to Berto, he seems willing to fight the top guys but some don't seem so keen as they keep saying he isn't a big enough name? How does that work if no one with a name is willing to fight him to begin with? The guy is an undefeated fighter who happens to have a title. That is already more than any of the fighters the top guys have taken recently, as it's not like Berto is a complete slouch, he has shown some decent tools already! Just because Berto isn't a superstar doesn't mean he is a complete unknown. People know who Andre Berto is, I hope he can get a shot at a top guy soon.

The way things are, maybe years down the track one of the 140 guys will move up and knock him off his spot?
SmartyBeardo
Andre Berto deserves a fight on May 7, 2010 (oops) 2011. His record is 4-0 since January of 2009 and he is a welter belt holder since 2008. Meanwhile SSM is 1-1-1 in the same period. Shane's only win was against a mind fucked criminal.

Berto is an undefeated prime champion. Mosley is an old man with a name.

Which one should be getting a shot at the elite?

You are mind fucking yourself if you answer SSM.
Romulus9
Absolutely he deserves a fight on May 7, 2011.

Let him rematch Luis Collazo on the Pacquiao-Mosley undercard.

Then we can discuss a Pacquiao or Mayweather fight later in the year.
JLUVBABY
ill say this bout berto... least he wants to test his skills and fight some of the guns out there... all we can do is speculate... what are you guys gonna say if he starts beating some of these fighters?... it'll be interesting to see who starts jumping on his band wagon if he starts winning some of these fights... the guy has skills... i doubt he is just a total pushover for any of the champions in or around his division...
TheFonz
Kahn will be making the move to welter soon enough.
neophyte7
He should not be undefeated. Collazo beat him. yeah let him fight Collazo again. Funny... Collazo almost knocked him through the ropes the first 3 minutes in there bout and he is not a heavy hitter.. Old man Mosley probably would have knocked his head off... all the sound effects he makes when he punches sickens me...
SmartyBeardo
To answer the question; circumstances are stopping him. Politics is stopping him. Poor business decisions are stopping him. Team QuackMeow's chickenshitness is stopping him. PBF's arrogant disregard for the law is stopping him.

SSM might knock his head off. I'd much rather see that attempted murder than the fecal matter that will go unmentioned.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Dec 23 2010, 10:27 PM) *
Kahn will be making the move to welter soon enough.

you really believe khan could match skill with berto?... i think khan gets out dogged in that fight...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Dec 23 2010, 08:53 AM) *
Absolutely he deserves a fight on May 7, 2011.

Let him rematch Luis Collazo on the Pacquiao-Mosley undercard.

Then we can discuss a Pacquiao or Mayweather fight later in the year.

Not a horrible idea. Khan v Prescott should round out the card.

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Dec 24 2010, 05:12 AM) *
He should not be undefeated. Collazo beat him. yeah let him fight Collazo again. Funny... Collazo almost knocked him through the ropes the first 3 minutes in there bout and he is not a heavy hitter.. Old man Mosley probably would have knocked his head off... all the sound effects he makes when he punches sickens me...

Mosley should be fighting Berto. Pac should be fighting Khan or Alexander or Bradley. But . . . it is what it is.
TheFonz
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 24 2010, 10:18 AM) *
you really believe khan could match skill with berto?... i think khan gets out dogged in that fight...

Kahn is taller, is quick and has good power....You factor that in with Berto's shotty defense and suspect chin and I say Kahn has a very good chance at beating him. I mean Kahn could get clipped himself, but thats what makes it a good fight, right?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Dec 24 2010, 12:16 PM) *
Kahn is taller, is quick and has good power....You factor that in with Berto's shotty defense and suspect chin and I say Kahn has a very good chance at beating him. I mean Kahn could get clipped himself, but thats what makes it a good fight, right?

khan barely got past maidana... dont get me wrong id like to see the fight but i see berto cleaning khans clock... breaking him down and knocking him out... khan will be fun to watch but im not sure he is ready for what he's gonna get at welter... those guys arent a manny pac sparring session where pac isnt going full force on him... again i like khans fights but unless they really pick his fights he wont be champ too long or if he moves up in the winners circle too much longer.. he is missing something... cant put my finger on it but he is missing a certain component that could really make him an elite fighter... just my opinion on the guy... i could be dead wrong...
BoxingStill#1
i see Berto as a serious threat to anyone.....

he looked suspect against collazo who imo is a B-/C+ fighter, but collazo was not laying down for anyone that night....

however, with Berto's fight style, crazy hand speed, and power he is a genuine threat to anyone who he fights

including the elite fighters....

TheFonz
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 24 2010, 06:44 PM) *
khan barely got past maidana... dont get me wrong id like to see the fight but i see berto cleaning khans clock... breaking him down and knocking him out... khan will be fun to watch but im not sure he is ready for what he's gonna get at welter... those guys arent a manny pac sparring session where pac isnt going full force on him... again i like khans fights but unless they really pick his fights he wont be champ too long or if he moves up in the winners circle too much longer.. he is missing something... cant put my finger on it but he is missing a certain component that could really make him an elite fighter... just my opinion on the guy... i could be dead wrong...

Yeah, but i'm not really high on Berto either. Who has he fought of note that makes him such a world beater. He and Kahn are on the same level as far I'm concesrned.
TheFonz
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 24 2010, 09:47 PM) *

he looked suspect against collazo who imo is a B-/C+ fighter, but collazo was not laying down for anyone that night....

however, with Berto's fight style, crazy hand speed, and power he is a genuine threat to anyone who he fights

The elite guys will expose his sucky defense.
Lil-lightsout
The Collazo fight was a bit ago now, he probably has improved overall, though his chin might be suspect?

I like what I have seen from him lately, but I think we are all ready for him in there with a bigger challenge.

Can not deny he has got some really fast hands with pretty good pop on them and he can make for some exciting fights. I look froward to seeing who he fights next.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Dec 25 2010, 01:22 PM) *
Yeah, but i'm not really high on Berto either. Who has he fought of note that makes him such a world beater. He and Kahn are on the same level as far I'm concesrned.

fighters have to get that chance to shine against the elite fighters for us to know... you can look at fighters style and the fashion in how they win fights and at least get a guage on them... people always bring up callazo... that was how long ago?... the kids confidence has grown since then and even though he hasnt fought the best of comp he seems willing.... he was scheduled to face shane mosley till that quake hit... i hated it but i dont blame the guy for backing out of that one... he lost family members in that quake... but back to khan vs berto... im not so sure they are on the same level... i think khan is a good fighter but i think they are on the verge of pushing him to fast... from what i saw in the maidana fight if i where guiding his career id veer him away from the bradley alexander winner which will probably be bradley... he dont have a ko punch but bradley punches hard enough to make fighters respect him i can see him overwhelming khan like a buzz saw... those type of fighters will always give khan problems... and if they have a punch like berto does and can match his speed, cuzz berto is just as fast as khan and he's bigger... i see berto puttng the business on that kid... khan was a very good amateur but as a pro i see a lot of greeness in him... just my opinion...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (BoxingStill#1 @ Dec 24 2010, 08:47 PM) *

berto in my opinion can compete with the pacs and mayweathers of the division... he is the goods... i know a lot of people disagreed with me at the time, actually most, but i favored him over mosley..
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 25 2010, 04:12 PM) *
berto in my opinion can compete with the pacs and mayweathers of the division... he is the goods... i know a lot of people disagreed with me at the time, actually most, but i favored him over mosley..

You also picked Margarito over Pac! laugh.gif
TheFonz
berto sucks
The CEO
Andre Berto, who's stopping him?

THE BERTO BASH BUS SKULLSPLITTER - The CEO, thehype, Romulus9, EirbinX, kidbazooka1, STEVENSKI, KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN, Keith, Vodoo, The Conscience, happygocampy, iron_mike, E.C.LEGEND, kingknockout, provo, Nay_Sayer, hitman harding, WindyCityP, Hittman25, Big Slim Sweet, KookedKrack, RyanTical, lloyd mayflower, Larry Merchant
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The CEO @ Dec 25 2010, 04:10 PM) *
THE BERTO BASH BUS SKULLSPLITTER - The CEO, thehype, Romulus9, EirbinX, kidbazooka1, STEVENSKI, KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN, Keith, Vodoo, The Conscience, happygocampy, iron_mike, E.C.LEGEND, kingknockout, provo, Nay_Sayer, hitman harding, WindyCityP, Hittman25, Big Slim Sweet, KookedKrack, RyanTical, lloyd mayflower, Larry Merchant

what happened to half those posters?...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 26 2010, 02:54 PM) *
So an undefeated welter belt holder for 2 1/2 years and six title defenses sucks in your mind? Enjoy May 7, 2011.

lol....
The CEO
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 25 2010, 05:54 PM) *
what happened to half those posters?...

Hell if I know...but they're still with us in Spirit....a few of 'em were newbs...lol

Larry Merchant is still doin' his thing on HBO...
TheFonz
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 26 2010, 03:54 PM) *
So an undefeated welter belt holder for 2 1/2 years and six title defenses sucks in your mind? Enjoy May 7, 2011.

OK, easily impressed. This guy has fought nothing but "b" fighters. He finally fights Collazo and some how manages to get a gift and won't event mention his name when it comes to a rematch. He sucks, and when those guys from 140 start moving up to Welter his ass is going to get exposed as the bum that he is.
The Original MrFactor
Kermit Cintron is calling him out. He's available for a fight now. Berto was given a gift against pillow punching Collazo. He never entertained a rematch and thats why he gets no respect. There are guys who will give Berto a fight. Cintron is at the head of the line. Margarito, Williams, Clottey should all be available. 2 of those guys are former 2 time WW champions and have a good amount of notoriety.
Big Slim Sweet
I'm no big believer in Berto. I paid my fare to ride the bus. With that said, I want to see what he's made of and quit speculating on it. It's PAST time for this kid to get in the ring with someone from the upper echelon. Fighting the Collazo's and Quintana's of the world will only get you so far.

But realistically, who is available for him to fight in the next six months? Pac and Mosley are tied up. Let's assume all the top guys at 140 are sticking there for the time being to fight each other (as they fucking well should). Let's also assume Arum has Cotto and Margarito on a collision course for a rematch. Paul Williams is on sabbatical.

So who is there for him to fight? Clottey? Marquez?

The Collazo rematch might just be the biggest fight out there for Berto at the moment. And his people have seemed none too interested in putting that together.

EDIT: Just saw MrFactor's suggesiton of Kermit the Frog. Not bad. But I have a feeling he ends up getting a rematch with Sergio in 2011.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Dec 27 2010, 11:38 AM) *
Kermit Cintron is calling him out. He's available for a fight now. Berto was given a gift against pillow punching Collazo. He never entertained a rematch and thats why he gets no respect. There are guys who will give Berto a fight. Cintron is at the head of the line. Margarito, Williams, Clottey should all be available. 2 of those guys are former 2 time WW champions and have a good amount of notoriety.

That would be a great fight for Berto. I would love to see him and Cintron fight, make the fight. Totally forgot about him.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 27 2010, 01:23 PM) *
That would be a great fight for Berto. I would love to see him and Cintron fight, make the fight. Totally forgot about him.

I actually give Cintron a chance in this one, crazy as it may sound.
D-MARV
Cintron is kinda weird and would be tough outing for Berto!

Cintron is like the "Special" kid in the class that had a little bit of athletic ability. He would always excel in P.E but he had that extra teacher when you were spelling class. He was also the one kid who always had "accidents" in class and would cry when the teacher found out.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Dec 27 2010, 05:22 PM) *
I actually give Cintron a chance in this one, crazy as it may sound.

Cintron would STOP berto in under 5 rounds. Too big and has power at 147. Berto aint trying to see a guy of Kermit's dimensions and power. He's either gonna fight a pillow puncher or some small guy from 140. I almost shutter to think that Berto is gonna give Zab Judah a call.
Spyder
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 27 2010, 07:13 PM) *
Cintron is like the "Special" kid in the class that had a little bit of athletic ability. He would always excel in P.E but he had that extra teacher when you were spelling class. He was also the one kid who always had "accidents" in class and would cry when the teacher found out.

laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 28 2010, 03:16 PM) *

LMFAO!!!

Dude...you are soooo wrong. laugh.gif (sig)
Spyder
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 28 2010, 05:36 PM) *
LMFAO!!!

Dude...you are soooo wrong. laugh.gif (sig)

Where's he been?!?

I hope we didn't chase him away with that thread...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 27 2010, 06:13 PM) *
Cintron is kinda weird and would be tough outing for Berto!

lmmfao... lol... thats shits funny but its true... i hate cintron and like him at the same time... i hate him for obvious reasons, but i like him cuzz when he shows up to fight and has it all together he is a tough customer for most fighters... for sure he's dangerous cuzz you never know which one is gonna show up... the one that breaks down or the good fighter he's capable of being... he has the potential, it just dont seem like it'll ever get unleashed but ill say this much... his losses to margarito have asteriks on them now... what happens to his career, and ill take the plaster out of the equation, but what happens to his career if he never fights margarito?... i ask this cuzz its quite possible that first ko defeat broke him mentally and the second one ruined it all together... i dont know.... we might be looking at cintron in a different light today....
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 28 2010, 05:42 PM) *
Where's he been?!?

I hope we didn't chase him away with that thread...

Don't know, and not sure what happened.

Hope he's doing well though.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Dec 28 2010, 05:51 PM) *
lmmfao... lol... thats shits funny but its true... i hate cintron and like him at the same time... i hate him for obvious reasons, but i like him cuzz when he shows up to fight and has it all together he is a tough customer for most fighters... for sure he's dangerous cuzz you never know which one is gonna show up... the one that breaks down or the good fighter he's capable of being... he has the potential, it just dont seem like it'll ever get unleashed but ill say this much... his losses to margarito have asteriks on them now... what happens to his career, and ill take the plaster out of the equation, but what happens to his career if he never fights margarito?... i ask this cuzz its quite possible that first ko defeat broke him mentally and the second one ruined it all together... i dont know.... we might be looking at cintron in a different light today....

Good post.

He lives in my area so I have seen many of his fights coming up. He had a short amateur career, but made up for it with some serious right hand power.

IMO he was not ready for Margarito because he was fed way too many cream puffs coming up. They like threw him to the wolves then, and on top of it we found out about his mental state when things get tough in there, plus I could see many of his short comings in the ring. Always seemed a little raw to me.

You must also factor in the questionable training habits he had also,coming from a pretty good reliable source. To me I think he did fairly well considering what little experience he had, though others and myself are very critical on him comparing him to other top fighters. I think it was Fitz a while back who wrote a good read about Cintron. Something along the lines about his mentality not being of most fighters in general, kind of like his crying, whining, and quitting during fights. He just does not have a fighter's mentality.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Dec 31 2010, 10:18 AM) *
Cintron is dangerous in a goofy sort of way.

I have an employee just like him, good natural talent but you wouldn't want him in a foxhole next to you.

laugh.gif

I spit some morning b-day left over cake out reading that, lol.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 1 2011, 03:46 PM) *
Was it your b-day, LL?

No...my one son turned 4 years old.

We had three straight days of b-day cake. Niece was the 28th, son was the 29th, and sister-in-law the 30th. Sucks cause it's bad enough with the holiday's with all the junk food and sweets, and I also got all these damn b-days of eating cake and junk. I got a terrible sweet tooth.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 1 2011, 04:21 PM) *

We had three straight days of b-day cake. Niece was the 28th, son was the 29th, and sister-in-law the 30th. Sucks cause it's bad enough with the holiday's with all the junk food and sweets, and I also got all these damn b-days of eating cake and junk. I got a terrible sweet tooth.

happy late b-day to the kid ll...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 1 2011, 05:22 PM) *
happy late b-day to the kid ll...

Thanks my man, Chase(the one on the left) had a great day!
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 1 2011, 02:21 PM) *

Chocolate birthday cake with vanilla ice cream. It don't get much better than that, especially when the kids are still young.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.