Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great Fights pre 1995
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BigG
During the holidays I've been watching 80's to early 90's fights and I've really enjoyed watching and studying some of these fights like James Toney-Michael Nunn, James Toney vs. Mike McCallum I and II, Mike McCallum vs. Donald Curry, Gerald McClellan, vs. Julian Jackson, Larry Holmes vs. Michael Spinks I, Pernell Whitaker vs. Julio Cesar Chavez, Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Meldrick Taylor, Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leoanrd vs. Roberto Duran I and II, Roy Jones Jr. vs James TOney, Tommy Hearns vs. Sugar Ray Leonard, Alexis Arguello vs Aaron Pryor, Julian Jackson vs. Terry Norris, Salvador Sanchez, Wilfredo Gomez, Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier I,

And I really particularly enjoyed watching Toney fights back when he looked like a fuckin real athlete and didnt have the body type of fuckin Jaba The Hutt with his gutt hanging down his trunks. He was so fast, elusive and those McCallum fights truly were throwbacks reminded me of some Archie Moore vs. Ezzard Charles shit but it's just sad to see Toney in the state he's in today still fighting, even more sad seeing Cotoure take down the shot fat version of Toney with his, gay ass wrestling...him and Roy Jones Jr. should just retire and thats why you have to respect Hopkins because he pretty much came from that era and is still whooping up these young champions like Pascal

Besides the fights listed, can any of you guys name your favorite performances but pre 1995 and dont wanna turn this into a boxing vs. mma thing but those fights showed me why I Boxing for ME is just so much better than MMA.
The CEO
That's the good stuff, G....Boxing was SO much better back then...back before the rise of the Internet....same goes for Rap Music and Pro Wrestling...lol
Sunni6Killer
I just saw Bazooka Limon vs Chacon IV.
Terry Norris vs Troy Waters.
Holyfield vs Qawi 1.
JLUVBABY
great fight i remember watching and the damn vhs tape broke on me years ago was nigel benn vs michael watson... great great fight! i love leonard vs lalonde as well... leonard had just enough to turn the clock back... pryor vs arguello 1 and 2... most all of boza edwards early fights... mathew saad muhamad in his prime was a fun fighter to watch... seems like he went down every fight and came back to win...boxing from the late 70's through 2000 was just something very very special... its great now but those guys foought each other and it wasnt just about the money like it is now... those guys cared about being the best and fighting the very best and challenging themselves... there wasnt too much protecting fighters going on back then like there is now... just a great era for the sport...
Lil-lightsout
I have been wanting for a while to post some good/great fights for maybe some of you younger guys on hear to catch. I will try and find some ones that are not the regular popular ones most know about.

Just a few off the top of my head were pretty good scraps back in the day.

Robert Quiroga-Akeem Anifowashi(spelling?) been a long time.

Kevin Kelly-Troy Dorsey

Meldrick Taylor-Aaron Davis

I will go out and do a glance threw my collection to find more.
SmartyBeardo
Duran v Buchanan was a tremendous battle that ended poorly. Classic Duran though. He never gave Buchanan a rematch, which was pure cunt like behavior. Buchanan was a great boxer and tough motherfucker.

Duran v De Jesus, the trilogy, were great wars. De Jesus gave Duran a boxing lesson in the first fight. De Jesus was a hell of a warrior. He knocked Duran down in the first round in the first and second fights. The second was my favorite. Duran reminds me of Pac at that point in his career.

You can youtube the second and third fights. I can't get them to link.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 2 2011, 04:03 PM) *
Duran v Buchanan was a tremendous battle that ended poorly. Classic Duran though. He never gave Buchanan a rematch, which was pure cunt like behavior. Buchanan was a great boxer and tough motherfucker.

Duran v De Jesus, the trilogy, were great wars. De Jesus gave Duran a boxing lesson in the first fight. De Jesus was a hell of a warrior. He knocked Duran down in the first round in the first and second fights. The second was my favorite. Duran reminds me of Pac at that point in his career.

You can youtube the second and third fights. I can't get them to link.

Should see the state hes in now. Lives not far from me. Not that iv ever met him, but hes a pisshead. Crying shame.

Edit: in case you wanted any further information

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/otherspor...-box-again.html
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 2 2011, 11:36 AM) *
Should see the state hes in now. Lives not far from me. Not that iv ever met him, but hes a pisshead. Crying shame.

Edit: in case you wanted any further information

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/otherspor...-box-again.html

thats a sad read lloyd...
SmartyBeardo
Wilfredo Gomez v Salvador Sanchez was one of the first "superfights" south of the heavies. The fact that Gomez made it out of the 1st round was a near miracle. He actually made a fight of it and rocked Sanchez in the 7th.

I will also add Sanchez v Nelson to this thread because it is one of the very greatest fights of all time.

It doesn't get any better than that.
Maxy
Harold "The Shadow" Knight vs Rocky Lockeridge is one I remember being a great fight. Not quite on the level of the aforementioned but good nonetheless.

Vincent Pettway KO6 Simon Brown. Haven't seen it for years but I'm sure it was a great fight from memory.

Michael Moorer winning a classic slug fest against Bert Cooper. Was a huge Moorer fan and loved that fight. Awesome.
SmartyBeardo
Edwin Rosario v Jose Luis Ramirez II. Ramirez endures knockdowns in rounds 1 & 2 and exacts revenge in San Juan, Puerto Rico. A pure classic.

If Mexican Boxer was in the dictionary, Jose Luis Ramirez would be the definition. He was KOed only once (very early) in his career by the legendary Olivares. He lost to the great Arguello (69-5 at the time) in a split decision that could have gone either way. He lost to Mancini (19-0) in a fight that many believe was fixed. He lost a controversial decision to Rosario (21-0 at the time) in San Juan, PR. He lost to Camacho (26-0). He lost a technical decision to JCC (61-0). He lost to Sweet Pea (18-1) in their second fight. And in his final fight he lost to Coggi (43-1-2).

IMO, Ramirez is the only fighter who ever defeated Sweet Pea legitimately. The rest beat The Ghost of Sweet Pea.
Maxy
Haugen-Pazienza....

Love those 15 round fights.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 2 2011, 02:22 PM) *
Haugen-Pazienza....

Love those 15 round fights.

Hadn't thought of that one since the previous millenium. Great fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.