Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: your favorite fight of all time
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
EAlbian
whats your favorite fight? Doesn't have to be the most entertaining fight or the most action packed can be any fight of all time for any reason.

The fight i can watch over and over again is taylor vs chavez, the fight had it all. Even though im a huge taylor fan i know the fight wouldn't have been as great if not for the ending, even though i root for taylor to answer the bell each time lol.

i also love the mayweather beating of Auturo gatti, the combos and clean punches he puts on him is just sick.

Pavlik vs Taylor, i love this fight. the shift in momentum is so powerful

So many other great fight... how about you guys?
Box in Hand
I wanna say Hopkins vs. Trinidad. I can watch that fight everyday still after all these years. It was one of the best technical break downs of a top level fighter I have ever seen topped off by a pretty nice KO.
D-MARV
Present day, I have to say Mosley-Margarito... It was a great pleasure to watch Margarito get spanked from post to post.

The Bowe-Holyfield trilogy was awesome. I can watch those fights over and over again.

Round 5 of Lewis-Rahman I was another great moment in my young "Hardcore Fan" life.

There's so many to pick from I can't choose just one.
Spyder
I like all of the obvious choices...Corrales-Castillo I, Hagler-Hearns, MAB-Morales I, Ward-Gatti I...

Those are all great battles to relive, and introduce someone new to the sport of boxing. But I gotta admit, the beatdowns are a lot of fun to watch too. Roy Jones' destruction of Richard "The Destroyer" Hall is one of my guilty pleasures.
EAlbian
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 27 2010, 03:05 PM) *
The Bowe-Holyfield trilogy was awesome

Bowe is my favorite heavyweight, coulda been one of the greatest
Lil-lightsout
Taylor-Chavez I. I watched this fight more than any other fight ever, 100's of times easy. Just an amazing fight.

Toney-Nunn. Loved watching James work his way back in this fight with his never say die attitude. Amazing finish!

Moorer-Cooper. Was going nuts watching this fight live. Could not believe what I was watching. Unbelievable.

Corrales-Castillo. Nuff said.

Mosley-Margarito. Never screamed and cheered so loud during a fight.

There are actually way too many to list. But these popped in my head.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Dec 27 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Bowe is my favorite heavyweight, coulda been one of the greatest

I also was huge Bowe fan, such a shame how his career ended. My all time favorite Bowe fight was when he wrecked Gonzales. They absolutely hated each other. It was awesome seeing Bowe fuck that turd up, I still remember he had that queer ass hair due that night Bowe kicked his ass, lol.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 27 2010, 04:01 PM) *
Mosley-Margarito. Never screamed and cheered so loud during a fight.

Yes sir... I pray that Mosley has one more left!

I would give my Left nut to see a prime Bowe fight Wladimir.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Dec 27 2010, 04:03 PM) *
I also was huge Bowe fan, such a shame how his career ended. My all time favorite Bowe fight was when he wrecked Gonzales. They absolutely hated each other. It was awesome seeing Bowe fuck that turd up, I still remember he had that queer ass hair due that night Bowe kicked his ass, lol.

Its a shame he didnt realize the talent he had, Eddie Futch even said that Riddick Bowe had the most God-given talent out of any heavyweight he had trained, if thats not enough i dont know what is.

I would have loved to see a fight between Bowe and Moorer in 92', i believe that is when they were both at their peaks. Moorer is a dumb-ass for leaving Manny Steward, he was never the same without him. He should have never fought over 215lbs, in the Cooper fight he had some much speed and it seemed like power after that he just wasnt the same. I think Bowe would have been too big for him but it would have been an interesting fight
Spyder
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 27 2010, 04:33 PM) *
Yes sir... I pray that Mosley has one more left!

I would give my Left nut to see a prime Bowe fight Wladimir.

Wlad would do the same thing to him that Lennox did in the Olympics.

IMO, you should save your nut trade for a fight like Wlad vs Vitali...or Pac-Mayweather.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 27 2010, 04:49 PM) *
Wlad would do the same thing to him that Lennox did in the Olympics.

IMO, you should save your nut trade for a fight like Wlad vs Vitali...or Pac-Mayweather.

Bowe would wreck Klitschko, both of them... with relative ease. What does Klitschko have once you get past the jab?? Bowe would counter with the right over that jab and wladmir would start backing up and the fight would be over. Vitali has no legs Bowe would dance circles around him while landing clean shots.

You are talking about a Bowe who had no professional training(no Eddie Futch, makes a huge difference) to that point, its like saying Tyson would lose to Tillman because he lost to him in the amateurs and we know how that played out
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
This list is always too hard for me to fine down so rather than that I've just gone with a brainstorm and fired a few fights out that there that have given me great personal pleasure.

Just too hard for me to pick one and to be honest I've left heaps on the table but these are a few that just popped into my head. If anyone wants to discuss any of them fire away.

Pac/Cotto

Mosley/Marg

Toney/Holyfield

Toney/Jirov

Toney/Barkley

Benn/Mcclellan

Tua/Ruiz (you can watch it 3 times per minute, value for money!)

Tua/Ibeabuchi

Pryor/Argeullo 1

Tyson/Spinks

Tyson/Berbick

Pac/Morales 1

Pac/Hatton

Hopkins/Trinidad

Ali/Frazier 3

Castillo/Corrales 1

Hopkins/Tarver

Hopkins/Pavlik

Ali/Foreman
Spyder
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Dec 27 2010, 05:03 PM) *
Bowe would wreck Klitschko, both of them... with relative ease. What does Klitschko have once you get past the jab?? Bowe would counter with the right over that jab and wladmir would start backing up and the fight would be over. Vitali has no legs Bowe would dance circles around him while landing clean shots.

You are talking about a Bowe who had no professional training(no Eddie Futch, makes a huge difference) to that point, its like saying Tyson would lose to Tillman because he lost to him in the amateurs and we know how that played out

Bowe would not get past the jab. And if he did, he would get put to sleep...

Bowe was a tough fighter...but he was lazy, and fought stupid. Why do you think he had so much trouble with Andrew Golota?
D-MARV
Bowe is 3times better than anybody Wlad has fought!

Wlad would be running for his life by round 3 and having a seizure by round 5.
BigG
This era

Morales vs. Pacquiao I
Marquez vs. Pacquiao I and II
Trinidad vs. Vargas
Hopkins vs. Trinidad
Jones Jr. vs Tarver I
Morales vs. Barrera I and II
Mayweather vs. Hatton
Cotto vs. Margarito
Toney vs. Jirov
Montiel vs. Hasegawa

Past Fights:

Duran-Leonard I
Hearns-Leonard I
Toney vs. McCallum I
Hagler vs. Leonard
Chavez vs. Taylor
Whitaker vs. Chavez
Sanchez vs. Gomez
Ali vs. Frazier I
Spinks vs. Holmes I and II
Tyson vs. Berbick
Tyson vs. Spinks
McClellan vs. Jackson I
Louis vs. Max Baer
Louis vs. Walcott I and II
Robinson vs. Lamotta VI
Robinson vs. Fullmer II
Foreman vs Lyle

True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 27 2010, 02:57 PM) *
Bowe was a tough fighter...but he was lazy, and fought stupid. Why do you think he had so much trouble with Andrew Golota?

I agree with this statement. I use to love to watch Bowe fight while he was coming up. And his fights with Holyfield were great. Bowe was a guy who had tremendous talent. He could box, was smooth and had power. But the guy was just a lazy fighter and hated to train. Most of his career he got by on his talent alone. If he would have put more dedication and effort into his boxing career as he did in his eating and living the good life, he could have really been special. Don't forget he pussed out on fighting Lennox Lewis. I could see Bowe beating both Klitschko's but he'd have to be in tiptop A-game shape, especially against Vitali.
Anyway back to the main topic, there are just to many fights I love to pinpoint just one all-time favorite. So here are some of my favorites:

Chavez-Taylor
Hagler-Leonard
Hagler-Mugabi
Hagler-Hearns
Chacon-Bazooka Limon
Corrales-Castillo 1
Tyson-Holyfield 1
Tyson-Spinks
Holmes-Conney
Pryor-Arguello
Sal Sanchez-Wilfredo Gomez
Nigel Benn-Michael Watson
Barrera-Mckinney
Barrera-Morales 1

I love boxing to much to have just one all-time favorite fight.
kidbazooka1
Tough to pick just one or two or even ten but here are a few that are must see fights.

Duran/Leonard I
Zarate/Zamora
Sanchez/Gomez
Leonard/Hearns
Hgaler/Hearns
Arguello/Pryor I and II
Chavez/Taylor I
Carbajal/Gonzalez all three
Gatti/Rodriguez
Morales/MAB all three
Morales/pacqiuao I and II
Corrales/Castillo I
The Original MrFactor
Toney/Jirov is one of my favorites, that I didnt see mentioned above.
Byrd Man
Gatti/Ward I is my favorite, but a close second, which I doubt many others agree, is Tommy Morrison vs. Joe Hipp. Great fight which showed Morrison and Hipp's heart.
Spyder
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 27 2010, 07:06 PM) *
Bowe is 3times better than anybody Wlad has fought!

Wlad would be running for his life by round 3 and having a seizure by round 5.

Andrew Golota must be a much better fighter than he's given credit for. Almost Ali-esque.
Method
i also love the mayweather beating of Auturo gatti, the combos and clean punches he puts on him is just sick.

Jeez. For that why not DLH/Gatti. Same damn thing., 'cept DLH did it first.
stateofthegame
My favorite to watch does not rank up there with anything any one has mentioned.

Julio Cesar Chavez vs Scott "The Pink Cat" Walker (RIP)

It just makes me laugh every time I see it.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 28 2010, 09:04 AM) *
Andrew Golota must be a much better fighter than he's given credit for. Almost Ali-esque.

Bowe was shot by the time galota fought him, he had no legs. go back and watch his 3rd fight with Holyfeild 6mo prior and try and tell me that he's the same fighter. Galota was tough he was just a complete headcase
EAlbian
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 28 2010, 09:12 AM) *
Jeez. For that why not DLH/Gatti. Same damn thing., 'cept DLH did it first.

Its just the accuracy of mayweather, its by far my favorite beat down
streetlion1
Mayweather vs Castillo 1

Hopkins vs Trinidad

Marquez vs PacRoid 1 & 2

De La Hoya vs Quartey

Im sure there are alot more but off the top of my head they were all very good fights.
HaydelHammer
Foreman vs Frazier (son got to see his father get destroyed)

Tyson vs Frazier (father got to see his son get destroyed)

LMFAO.
PR316
All time

Duran vs Leonard I

Robinson vs Lamotta 6

Duran vs De Jesus I II and III(All of those fights were brilliant in their own way)

Tyson vs Ruddock II(War)

Recent times

Morales vs Barrera I

Pacquiao vs Marquez 2

Trinidad vs Vargas

Martinez vs Williams I

Calzaghe vs Lacy(Great beat down)

Corrales vs Castillo(Best action fight of recent years)

Mosley vs De La Hoya I

Lil-lightsout
Ray Leonard vs. Floyd Mayweather Sr.

Anyone who dislikes Mayweather Sr. should check out this beat down, lol.

Ray Leonard vs. Duran II.

Seeing that bully quit was sweet.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 28 2010, 09:04 AM) *

According to you're logic... Bowe wouldn't beat Corrie Sanders... LMAO.

Oh and please tell me you didn't use an amateur fight to prove how a Bowe-Klitschko fight would go? LOL
BoxingStill#1
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 27 2010, 04:49 PM) *

Looks like he will always have both nuts....
Spyder
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 28 2010, 11:47 AM) *
According to you're logic... Bowe wouldn't beat Corrie Sanders... LMAO.

Oh and please tell me you didn't use an amateur fight to prove how a Bowe-Klitschko fight would go? LOL

Nope. Just showed how inept Bowe was at handling Lennox's jab...

But that's ok, Andrew Golota was obviously a beast man that was lucky to meet Bowe on the downside of his career...otherwise he would've met the same fate as Tony Tubbs...oh shit, did I just bring up the Tony Tubbs fight?

laugh.gif

...if only Klitchko was as good as ol' Tony Tubbs.

laugh.gif
BigG
Its possibly Wlad outboxes Bowe with his jab but Marv is right, lets say Bowe of the first Holyfield fight, when Bowe was at his peak, in prime condition, is so much better than guys like Samuel Peter and Eddie Chambers....he had the tools to jab but he chose to fight like Joe Frazier. But I can see Bowe fucking Wlad up..
D-MARV
QUOTE (BigG @ Dec 28 2010, 03:27 PM) *
Its possibly Wlad outboxes Bowe with his jab but Marv is right, lets say Bowe of the first Holyfield fight, when Bowe was at his peak, in prime condition, is so much better than guys like Samuel Peter and Eddie Chambers....he had the tools to jab but he chose to fight like Joe Frazier. But I can see Bowe fucking Wlad up..

I respect Wlad more than most of the people on this board but if guys like Brewster, Sanders, and Purrity were able to stop him then Riddick Bowe was very capable of stopping Wlad. Samuel FUCKING Peter had Wlad down 3 times in their first fight... Bowe would molest baby bro.
JLUVBABY
my favorite fight without question is leonard hearns 1... to me that fight had all the ebs and flows you could ask for in a fight... they went back and fourth... the boxer leonard became the puncher and vice versa... just a great fight all in all... too many to name but the first corrales vs castillo was a great fight... really nobody has named a bad fight so far they are all great... a fight that may be a forgotten classic because of the channel it was on was oba carr vs livingstone bramble on the usa network... that was another awesome fight... awesome fight!!!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 28 2010, 05:23 PM) *
If someone is going to talk about a 'prime' Bowe. It's only fair that they do not mention Wlad against Brewster and Purity. We can't have one guy from his prime and the other guy not, can we?

I hear what you are saying, and I do agree Wlad has improved since those fights. BUT look at how shitty these fighters he is fighting these days. There is no competition for him. No one tries to win anymore against him. I would be willing to bet a prime Bowe against a prime Wlad, Klit would get KO'd. Bottom line is Wlad has a china chin and Riddick had a full arsenal and would clip that chin and stop him early. Just my take.

Riddick in his prime was an awesome heavyweight. It is a shame is prime years did not last long though.
Spyder
Talking about Wlad's losses, and then comparing those guys to Bowe seems laughable. But, take Andrew Golota and Tony Tubbs, and compare them with Wlad. That shit is just as ridiculous.

Of course Bowe had the tools...that's never been the debate...the fact is that he didn't use them. He fought stupid...habitually. And he was lazy...HABITUALLY.

He didn't have the brass to avenge his loss to Lennox...and both Klitchko brothers would've taken him to task. He could very well have a miracle outing, the stars could align just right, and he'd show up to work in the gym...not walk into bombs, and box their ears off. But unfortunately, that scenerio is a lot less likely.

Do you honestly think that I like picking Wlad over an American ex-Champion?

This shit pains me!

laugh.gif

D-MARV
It comes down to this... Bowe was tall and rangy and he possessed a decent jab himself. Unlike most American heavyweights today, Bowe had skill to go with his physical attributes. The first time he touched Wlad, Wlad would be in trouble.

Sure, Wlad has improved his defense since his last loss but his chin hasn't. Wlad immediately starts to hyperventilate whenever someone touches his chin. Against Bowe, he would have to go the full 12 without getting hit. Bowe was far to skilled for that to happen.

Wlad is far more skill then both Tubbs and Golota but those two were willing to trade... Wlad would not.
It's all about styles my man.
JLUVBABY
i had to give my opinion on this topic... man... thats a good fight prime bowe vs prime wlad... i have to give the edge to bowe, just my opinion... reason being futch had bowe as primed of a fighter as i've seen at heavyweight since larry holmes (for the short period his prime actually lasted)... bowe had the size, the reach, the punch and for a tall fighter had a hellafied inside fighting game... his comp that he faced shits all over wlad... wlad really hasnt fought anybody, but you cant fault him for whats available at this time either... in the end i think the pedigree of bowe at his best overcomes wlad... wlad has never faced anyone that comes close to comparing to a prime bowe... bowe did fight a fighter that was not the size of wlad but a better fighter all in all in holyfield...
EAlbian
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Dec 28 2010, 06:46 PM) *
It comes down to this... Bowe was tall and rangy and he possessed a decent jab himself. Unlike most American heavyweights today, Bowe had skill to go with his physical attributes. The first time he touched Wlad, Wlad would be in trouble.

Sure, Wlad has improved his defense since his last loss but his chin hasn't. Wlad immediately starts to hyperventilate whenever someone touches his chin. Against Bowe, he would have to go the full 12 without getting hit. Bowe was far to skilled for that to happen.

Wlad is far more skill then both Tubbs and Golota but those two were willing to trade... Wlad would not.
It's all about styles my man.

I'd actually take a prime Golata over Wald, Golata would probably loose it somewhere(composure that is) but before that happen wald would be in for some pain and he might break mentally. I mean if Brewster could apply the presure and take everything that Wald had to offer i have no problem picking any of the upper echelon early to late 90's American Heavys over him. Shit i'll take Big George for sure and maybe the Duke for that matter as well.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Dec 28 2010, 05:09 PM) *
I'd actually take a prime Golata over Wald, Golata would probably loose it somewhere(composure that is) but before that happen wald would be in for some pain and he might break mentally. I mean if Brewster could apply the presure and take everything that Wald had to offer i have no problem picking any of the upper echelon early to late 90's American Heavys over him. Shit i'll take Big George for sure and maybe the Duke for that matter as well.

prime golota that shows up to win... id like to see that fight... thing is the bowe golota beat wasnt prime... so its hard to guage just how good he was at the time being bowe was on a rapid decline... but no doubt golota if he could have kept his shit together was a damn good fighter... if anything he reminds me of a ken norton type fighter... he clammed up vs punchers.. punchers scared norton and i think they scared golota as well... if you look at the fights he succumbed in it was fighters he could possibly get knocked out in... even in the sampson pouha fight where he bit sampson... sampson had a punch that could hurt golota... golota just happened to be a lot more skilled and got lucky not to get disqualified and weathered that storm... pouha had him tho for a second...
Spyder
It feels good, and it's nice to think that Bowe would get off of his ass and actually train for a fight with the Klits...but that's just not his style. How long did his stint in Boot Camp last? 3 days?

laugh.gif

I wish that I could bring myself to the same dream world that you guys are in where Bowe fully utilized his skills...but I guess I just haven't drank enough Egg Nog. drinks.gif
D-MARV
It's a good thing that all it takes is one punch to fuck Wladimir up.
salvador
DLH-Quartey

It was the first time I ever watched a boxing match and was glad that both guys were able to finish on their feet. It was a big moment in my personal maturation as a boxing fan.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 29 2010, 07:49 AM) *
It feels good, and it's nice to think that Bowe would get off of his ass and actually train for a fight with the Klits...but that's just not his style. How long did his stint in Boot Camp last? 3 days?

laugh.gif

I wish that I could bring myself to the same dream world that you guys are in where Bowe fully utilized his skills...but I guess I just haven't drank enough Egg Nog. drinks.gif

prime riddick bowe was very highly trained and very highly skilled... his stint with the marines was after he had started his slow decline... out of curiosity what has wlad done or rather let me ask it like this... who has he beaten that gives you the impression he would contend with a prime bowe? you dont think bowe fully utilized his skills in that first bowe fight?
Spyder
I'm not saying that Bowe was unskilled or not talented enough to handle Wlad...I'm saying that he was a lazy SOB that fought stupid.

That's just who he was. We get in the habit of idealizing fighters to what we wanted them to be, rather than judging them for what they were. That's why we gave Tyson shot after shot to do something great, LONG after it was obvious that his time had passed.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 29 2010, 01:31 PM) *
I'm not saying that Bowe was unskilled or not talented enough to handle Wlad...I'm saying that he was a lazy SOB that fought stupid.

That's just who he was. We get in the habit of idealizing fighters to what we wanted them to be, rather than judging them for what they were. That's why we gave Tyson shot after shot to do something great, LONG after it was obvious that his time had passed.

NOT WE... lol... cuzz i always figured tyson to be done after he fought spinks... what ever success he had afterwards i always figured was based off of the lingering intimidation factor... lol.. but as far as bowe all im saying is the topic was started as prime bowe vs prime wlad klit... prime bowe wasnt a lazy fighter... he was capable of being lazy and im one that thinks his prime ended the night he won the title from holyfield... maybe it lasted a lil longer but i never counted his ko of dokes as a legit fight when they had better fighters he could have fought so i call his fight with holyfield 1 his prime fight.. what he became, and this was helped by rock neuman and the bs he had bowe doing, you are right was a fat slob fighter with skill... but truth be told the fighter he was after he lost his belts would probably have been enough to beat wlad... if you remember he was considered the best heavy in the world for a long period of time and he wasnt even a belt holder... they black balled him out of thetitle picture so he started cleaning out the division till he finally ran into golota...
EAlbian
QUOTE (Spyder @ Dec 29 2010, 09:49 AM) *

laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kim2nTQI13E
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Dec 29 2010, 09:23 AM) *
If someone is going to talk about a 'prime' Bowe. It's only fair that they do not mention Wlad against Brewster and Purity. We can't have one guy from his prime and the other guy not, can we?

Stop just stop with this logic shit Fitz.

Zarate vs Zamora. This fight had everything from a crazed fan trying to stop the fight & getting nightsticked for his trouble to the sheer brutality of the actual fight. Two undefeated cats prepared to show who is the best. What a fucking fight!

STEVENSKI
I just find the whole story behind the fight to be brilliant.

Both guys undefeated (38-0 37 KO's & 29-0 29 KO's)
Both guys were champions & even though they could not unify they said fuck it & fought anyway.
Both were trained by the same man until Zamora was sold out.
Legit hatred from both camps unlike the manufactured bullshit on 24/7
The trainers had a punchup after the fight

It literally had everything & I wonder what they could have done to that story today with the 24/7 & media circus that would happen when the fight was announced.
gbh32001
R.Mancini VS D.K.Kim...A fight for the ages, like the song of J.Lenno"Imagine".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.