Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mosley's strategy....
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Nay_Sayer
I was thinking Mosley would be wise to invest heavily in body work early. Slow Pacquiao down in the second half of the fight and make him trade. Mosley's a pretty good right hand puncher and Pacquiao's defense against the right hand isn't exactly stellar...
PR316
Try to land a lucky shot. He's not gonna win a round in this fight so his best bet is to try and land a hailmary.

Whats more than likely to happen is that Pacquiao beats him like a drum for about 8 rounds before Naazim throws in the towel.
BrutalBodyShots
Mosley's strategy shouldn't include a "second half of the fight" because it should involve getting Pacquiao out of there in as little time as possible.

Pacquiao has just about every advantage over Mosley that you can think of with the exception of 1 punch power, so this is what Mosley needs to focus on. Get the younger guy out of there. Catch him clean and early (like he did Mayweather) and finish the job.

As the rounds go by I see this fight getting more and more one sided in Pacquiao's favor, so expect to see Mosley's best in the first few rounds.

D-MARV
Left hook to the body is key! Throw it early and often. The other comboniation to focus on is the jab downstairs followed by the big right hand (similar to the one that hurt Mayweather). Problem is, that Pacquiao cannot be hurt by Mosley. Mosley can land his best shot on the chin of Pacquiao and Pac will just step back, bang his gloves together, and keep coming. Yes, the same Pacquiao who was hurt by a jab from some cat named Hussein, the same Pac who was wobbled by Marquez will walk throw anything Mosley throws at him. Pacquiao is a machine. He can't be stopped.
gravytrain
i don't even really see the point of this thread because the only strategy is for him to hope he can just rush him and take him out early.
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 30 2010, 03:56 PM) *
i don't even really see the point of this thread because the only strategy is for him to hope he can just rush him and take him out early.

I dont even think he can take him out if he does that... Shane just cant pull the trigger at 40...he'll just flinch and be a punching bag..as sated if you dont want to pay for this fight I will glady provide links Arum is not getting my hard earned money with this crap!!!
Snoop
Use the jab and go to the body. Two of the only things I've seen work effectively against Pac when he fights naturally bigger guys, yet for whatever reason they never follow through with it.
salvador
Throw combos like JMM.

Also throw short/quick counter-jabs to the chest when Pac comes in.

Shane's going to have a 7" reach advantage, so obviously if he could establish the jab early that would be the best move - but I just don't see that happening.

gravytrain
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 30 2010, 06:06 PM) *
Use the jab and go to the body. Two of the only things I've seen work effectively against Pac when he fights naturally bigger guys, yet for whatever reason they never follow through with it.

if Mosley could clench i think he could make it a decent fight for him. decent for 5 rounds anyway.

QUOTE (EpTXCHAMP @ Dec 30 2010, 05:45 PM) *
I dont even think he can take him out if he does that... Shane just cant pull the trigger at 40...he'll just flinch and be a punching bag..as sated if you dont want to pay for this fight I will glady provide links Arum is not getting my hard earned money with this crap!!!

he can get off if someone fights with him.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I think Shane's best opportunity is to load up and throw one of those 'eyes closed' punches of his. They sometimes work good!!
leonthegee
im not sure if i can see mosley winning this fight. i give him a punchers chance because mosley has shown 1 punch knockout power at this weight. but i cant see mosley winning 7 rounds out of 12.
Snoop
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Dec 30 2010, 11:54 PM) *
if Mosley could clench i think he could make it a decent fight for him. decent for 5 rounds anyway.

Another unused resource by his recent opponents. Jab, body, clench, repeat. If Mosley can stick to that, he might have a chance. But judging from his past fights, he won't.
JLUVBABY
im kinda feeling like dmarv... shanes best bet is to try to whack him out early but the problem is the punches that used to hurt pac at the lighter weights he is walking through now from bigger men... lol... what shane has going for him tho is that pac is a different dynamic than floyd... pac will be there to be hit... but it wont matter... shane hits pac with the kitchen sink pac comes back and blast shane out... this may be a replay of the cotto fight with maybe a little more action from shane... we shall see....
D-MARV
Pretty much JLUV... Mosley can't hurt Pacquiao.
caneman
So what are so many saying that roids made pacs chin better? I don't understand that, can someone please school me on this?
caneman
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 30 2010, 09:36 PM) *
Another unused resource by his recent opponents. Jab, body, clench, repeat. If Mosley can stick to that, he might have a chance. But judging from his past fights, he won't.

That could work Snoop...but I agree and for the most part Shane lose ALMOST every big fight he ever had.
Snoop
QUOTE (caneman @ Dec 31 2010, 05:26 AM) *
That could work Snoop...but I agree and for the most part Shane lose ALMOST every big fight he ever had.

Dude just doesn't know how to stay calm and stick to a gameplan. At least not in his recent outings.
caneman
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 30 2010, 11:32 PM) *
Dude just doesn't know how to stay calm and stick to a gameplan. At least not in his recent outings.

For the most part not in years, other than Margarito! Hell Mayo was beating him before the KO and I had DLH winning the second fight! Got give Shane credit for going right to rematches he didn't need take! I like Shane BTW!

Anyhow someone please tell me how roids or anything else is going to make your chin better, I really wanna understand so many of y'all opinion, thoughts or facts!
Snoop
QUOTE (caneman @ Dec 31 2010, 05:45 AM) *
For the most part not in years, other than Margarito! Hell Mayo was beating him before the KO and I had DLH winning the second fight! Got give Shane credit for going right to rematches he didn't need take! I like Shane BTW!

Nobody can knock Shane's resume or his guts for that matter. His skills on the other hand...

Anyhow someone please tell me how roids or anything else is going to make your chin better, I really wanna understand so many of y'all opinion, thoughts or facts!

I dunno bro. I don't think anyone mentioned roids in this thread.

STEVENSKI
Shane just needs to go out there do some things & continue with the jab.
Lil-lightsout
I am taking Mosley in this one. Sure I know I am more of hoping he wins, but I think he might just pull it off.

Pac gets hit and was buzzed good by Margarito, I think Shane will catch him and get him out of there early. Pac also gets marked up pretty good and considering all his recent fights, he hardly had many real "tough" fights.

Pac seems less hungry and politics and all his other outside distractions will not help him.

I do not put much emphasis on Mosley's fights with Floyd and Mora. Floyd is Floyd, and Mora is very elusive and hard to look good against. Mora also was bigger in there.

Pac is pretty short and is no defensive wizard in there, I think Mosley matches up with him well.

Pac's sometimes over aggressiveness could be his down fall as he gets countered with a bomb!

Now if Shane can not hurt Pac...Mosley is going to have a long night.

Remember I am huge Mosley fan, so take that into consideration.
PR316
^^Well your being honest for sure.

But Mosley's only chance(And its remote) really is to catch Pacquiao like he caught Mayweather early but finish the job.

Pac is no defensive genius, agreed. So maybe there is that possibility. The question is, how likely is it to happen?

I see it as slim to none.

Keep in mind that I would favor a young Mosley in this matchup. But that was a totally different fighter.

The more I think of this fight, the more I see Mosley getting stopped because I don't think Naazim will let him take the punishment Margarito took.
Snoop
QUOTE (PR316 @ Dec 31 2010, 06:35 AM) *
The more I think of this fight, the more I see Mosley getting stopped because I don't think Naazim will let him take the punishment Margarito took.

No trainer should. But then again, it was Margarito.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Snoop @ Dec 31 2010, 02:40 AM) *
No trainer should. But then again, it was Margarito.

Don't forget Joe Santiago or whatever his name was in the Cotto fight!
ROLL DEEP
I think everyone agrees that Mosley has the one punch power to hurt Pac - but how will he land it?

I'd get Mosley to presnt Pac with lots of movement. If he tries to steam Pac, Manny will bounce out of the way and hit Shane from angles that'll cause Shane to stop moving in and go into his shell like he did against Mayweather.

He needs to keep sticking the jab out whilst keeping light on his toes. Pac likes to jump in, off load a ton of punches, then dart out. If Shane can keep mobile, frustrate Pac he might be able to entice Pac to jump onto something.

I think the earlier Shane starts pressing the action too much, the sooner he'll end up reverting back into his shell in the centre of the ring with Pac obliterating him.
AussieLad
Shane needs to relax. He was like a taught piano wire vs floyd, and just couldnt pull the trigger because of it. He was jittering in there like a speeded up truckie who hadnt seen the land of snooze for at least a week.
BoxingStill#1

Shane has the ability to pull the upset here.......

Big punch early, or gradual work to the body may slow Pac down a bit...

Honestly though, I think he's gonna wait to much and when he try's to mix it up he will be second to the punch....

He is banking on a hard punch in he middle of a brawl, he even said himself that he like to fight and so does Pac.... so he wants to fight

But realistically he needs to stay behind a CONSTANT jab and work to the body.... and not the type of 'pawing' shit he used with floyed...
D-MARV
Shane can't win. Pac holds every single advantage in this fight and Shane is beyond shot, He can't pull the trigger. Margarito threw a lot of punches which is why Pac had trouble in the 6th round. Shane doesn't have that kind of activity. Shane will lands some shots here and there. I expect Shane to land his best shot early but Pac will walk right through it. SHANE CAN"T HURT PACQUIAO.
neophyte7
People are really talking as if pac is superman... as if he will just walk through mosley... Mosley is a rugged chinned professional on the downside, yet I have seen enough of him to know that he will not just be a cake walk. He is too experienced and his trainer is too experienced...
BrutalBodyShots
Almost everyone picking Mosley is doing so using the wrong criteria or simply wishful thinking.

"Throw lots of punches"

"Use lots of movement"

"Establish the jab and use it a lot"

These things can't win Mosley the fight people... those are traits of a 25-30 year old Mosley, not a 39 year old Mosley.

The only valid argument for anyone picking Mosley over Pacquiao in my view is "Mosley has the power to KO him" and most even recognize that as a stretch.

Can Mosley make it competitive? Sure, he's experienced, has both good speed/good power power and has a great chin. Will he make it competitive? Who knows, that remains to be seen.

Snoop
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 31 2010, 10:51 PM) *
Almost everyone picking Mosley is doing so using the wrong criteria or simply wishful thinking.

"Throw lots of punches"

"Use lots of movement"

"Establish the jab and use it a lot"

These things can't win Mosley the fight people... those are traits of a 25-30 year old Mosley, not a 39 year old Mosley.

The only valid argument for anyone picking Mosley over Pacquiao in my view is "Mosley has the power to KO him" and most even recognize that as a stretch.

Can Mosley make it competitive? Sure, he's experienced, has both good speed/good power power and has a great chin. Will he make it competitive? Who knows, that remains to be seen.

I think there's a difference between saying Mosley can do it, and what we think he should do.
D-MARV
The ONLY way to beat Pacquiao is to counter punch him to death. He's the "Ultimate Warrior" of boxing... he's like a machine. He comes in with 8 and 9 punch combos, all with amazing accuracy, speed, and power. He almost always gets off first and his constant movement when he's not throwing makes it extremely hard for anyone to tee off on him. He's the total package. The only weakness he has in his game is his extreme recklessness when throwing and willingness to exchange punches. Mosley's only shot in this fight is to catch Manny coming in OR return fire when Pacquiao stops his assault. Juan Manuel Marquez is one of the best counter punchers I have ever seen and may be among the greatest counter punchers of all time. That is why "stylistically" he will always give Manny trouble. There's only one man (147 or under) that has the skill set to beat Pacquiao and he's not itching to fight him anytime soon. Mosley has NO CHANCE in this fight. 1. He can't pull the trigger anymore 2. He's NOT A COUNTER PUNCHER 3. He Doesn't possess the activity level to compete. Manny will have his way with Mosley, plain and simple. I expect to see Mosley hit the canvas 2 or 3 times during the fight but last till the final bell. Mosley wins 1 round at best!
AussieLad
Mosely has a punchers chance during those first 3 rounds, when guys are still getting their opponents timing synched in. A small window of opportunity to land something unexpected

I dont think Pac can take a flush hard shot from Mosely. Maybe not a one punch KO, but enough to shake pac up badly. In those first 3 rounds he has a chance, after that he's gonna get shut out.

Of course, even if he lands big early, he may not pressure pac while he is hurt. He shook floyd up big early, but didnt commit to his offence and take advantage of it. Granted mayweather sprang straight back up, but surely mosely could have at least attempted to exploit a rare chink in floyds defence
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (PR316 @ Dec 30 2010, 05:32 PM) *
Try to land a lucky shot. He's not gonna win a round in this fight so his best bet is to try and land a hailmary.

Whats more than likely to happen is that Pacquiao beats him like a drum for about 8 rounds before Naazim throws in the towel.

I agree with everything you said.
Snoop
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 1 2011, 04:57 AM) *
SSM strategy = Take an ass beating and use a portion of the purse for plastic surgery.

laugh.gif
BoxingStill#1

Pac is not walking through Mosely specially in the early rounds....
EpTXCHAMP
QUOTE (salvador @ Dec 30 2010, 05:52 PM) *
Throw combos like JMM.

Also throw short/quick counter-jabs to the chest when Pac comes in.

Shane's going to have a 7" reach advantage, so obviously if he could establish the jab early that would be the best move - but I just don't see that happening.

ask DLH and margs and clottey what the reach advantage did for them. The thing is shane has a mediocre jab at best like I have said this is going to be one sided and serves no purpose other than putting money in Arums pockets from the suckers that will buy this
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.