Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who are the fighters of the future?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
we talk about our favorite fighters etc who we like to watch the most etc but my question to you guys are who are the fighters of the future?... i'm not talking bout guys we know of right now... who are the guys amateur or just turning pro from overseas etc or even here in the states that you guys think will be the heirs to todays top fighters... i dont watch amateur boxing anymore.... i stopped watching when they changed their scoring system so i dont know of a lot of the new comers... just interested in you guys thoughts... and it would be interesting if you give your reasoning why this person will rise to the top in the future...
Praximo
1. Guillermo Rigondeaux
2. Juan Manuel Lopez
3. Saul Alvarez
4. Alfredo Angulo
5. Andre Berto
6. Jose Benevediz
7. Yuriorkis Gamboa
8. Nonito Donaire
9. Devon Alexander
10. Tim Bradley
11. Amir Khan
SmartyBeardo
I don't watch the amateurs (other than the Olympics) either.

Matthysse

Lemieux

Pirog
Lil-lightsout
Toney- He is going to shock the world this year and be the dominant heavyweight!

Jones- He is going to regain his youth and claim all the light heavyweight belts.

Mosley- He is going to stop Pac, and then grab all the welterweight belts.

Johnson- He will unify the 168 pound division.

JMM- He will continue to be the best 135 pound fighter.

Yep... these are some of the fighters of the future.

gravytrain
there are some goood fighters in world series boxing if you guys want to check it out, it's on Versus and it's amateur fighters under pro rules.

i wish Raushee Warren was about 5'8" and walked around at 150, he could be real entertaining as a pro. unfortunately he's 5'4". Golden Boy has some nice fighters for the future though, Khan and Canelo could be big in the future.
HaydelHammer
I have no clue since there is no more abc wide world of sports

no more usa tuesday night fights. espn even used to show some amateurs here and there back in the day along with K-1 actually.
Maxy
Former world amateur champion Frankie Gavin along with Olympic middleweight gold medalist James DeGale, have big futures in the game. Although at first I wasn't sold on DeGale, his performance in beating the much more experienced Paul Smith has chnaged my opinion of him.
mexi-cutioner
DAVID LEMIEUX, PERIOD!
SENTRAL
Yea, Lemieux is the next big star.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Jan 3 2011, 02:33 AM) *
DAVID LEMIEUX, PERIOD!

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jan 3 2011, 03:21 AM) *

Look, I like Lemieux. He is tough and fun to watch. But, let's not bring him along too fast or he will get poleaxed. I guarantee it.

Course, we probably don't have to worry too much about that, given The French Canadian Skirt Hiding Syndrome.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 3 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Former world amateur champion Frankie Gavin along with Olympic middleweight gold medalist James DeGale, have big futures in the game. Although at first I wasn't sold on DeGale, his performance in beating the much more experienced Paul Smith has chnaged my opinion of him.

Good to see you back mate, but onto business, dont you really realy hate DeGale? I hated Khan early on for his attitude, DeGales is ten times worse! He's a bell end! How do you see him and Groves playing out? I was sure Groves would smoke him until their respective last outings. Now i'm not so sure but I think Groves is facing higher quality opposition who are harder to shine against.
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 3 2011, 10:23 AM) *
Good to see you back mate, but onto business, dont you really realy hate DeGale? I hated Khan early on for his attitude, DeGales is ten times worse! He's a bell end! How do you see him and Groves playing out? I was sure Groves would smoke him until their respective last outings. Now i'm not so sure but I think Groves is facing higher quality opposition who are harder to shine against.

Cheers mate, yeah DeGale is definitely one of those love to hate type fighters but I was proper impressed with him vs Smith. He looked so much better than an 8 fight novice....has he even lost a round in his pro career? I used to think Groves was the better prospect but he didn't look on the same level as DeGale after their respective last fights, as you said.

Apparently they will be facing each other sometime soon and we'll know more then but right now I'll stick my neck out and say DeGale will win that one and be European champion by summertime.

Not convinced by DeGales power at all yet and some of his stoppages have been very soft, but if he can work on that he could be a big star. People are already saying he could beat Dirrell....I won't go that far yet, he shouldn't be rushed but he looks to be a damn fine prospect and for some reason, despite his easy to hate attitude, I like the bloke.

EDIT - Just noticed your Hate Wagon. I think you'll fill that up pretty damn quick once he becomes more known (and loathed) worldwide!! laugh.gif
lloyd mayflower
Dammit! I cant see me changing my mind on him. It started after possibly his first fight when the SKY bloke asked him about why he didnt get the stoppage and he started on like a fuckin child "tell em Frank tell em these guys dont come to fight". I do hope we see the fight with him and Groves tho. It would be a big event and would gain a bit of interest
EAlbian
Devon Alexander

Demetrius Andrade

Deontay Wilder
EAlbian
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jan 3 2011, 07:21 AM) *

Lemieux looks like he could be solid but i'm not sold yet, this next year we'll see if he steps up and fights a live opponent. Brandon Vera would be a good test for him in 2011
gbh32001
The brother of late Edwin Valero, i heard that he pack a punch...
kidbazooka1
Juanma-already getting up there.
Gamboa
Benavidez-will do big things
Alexander
Mares
The CEO
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 3 2011, 07:53 AM) *
Look, I like Lemieux. He is tough and fun to watch. But, let's not bring him along too fast or he will get poleaxed. I guarantee it.

Course, we probably don't have to worry too much about that, given The French Canadian Skirt Hiding Syndrome.

Yeah...that's common knowledge....

Lemieux is good...for a young prospect from a tertiary Boxing nation...I like how he goes for the KO and drops his cans...but he's not the future of the sport outside of Canada.

Same goes for Bute....they're like 2 bass in a private pond, stocked with brim.
SmartyBeardo
A couple of months ago I might have thrown Mike Jones into the mix, until he got Sinaloaed.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 3 2011, 08:46 PM) *
Yeah...that's common knowledge....

Lemieux is good...for a young prospect from a tertiary Boxing nation...I like how he goes for the KO and drops his cans...but he's not the future of the sport outside of Canada.

Same goes for Bute....they're like 2 bass in a private pond, stocked with brim.

you're just a hater, CEO. just mad that they're Bell Centre pimpin.
Snoop
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 4 2011, 03:49 AM) *
A couple of months ago I might have thrown Mike Jones into the mix, until he got Sinaloaed.

That one round may have ruined his career.
The CEO
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 3 2011, 10:19 PM) *
you're just a hater, CEO. just mad that they're Bell Centre pimpin.

lol...I know, right?...blind and jealous, strongly critiquing for no good reason at all.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 4 2011, 04:49 AM) *
Yep, I agree they aren't American.

QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 2 2011, 11:19 AM) *
My (favorites) list pretty much remains the same a year later...

Ward, Bradley, Martinez, JMM, Mayweather, Wlad Klitschko, Gamboa, Donaire, Katsidis, and Agbeko.

and neither are the 6 bolded names above...lol

All Bute and Lemieux have to do is prove themselves...not get saved by a ref and/or set up with bums....and then, maybe they too, can make it onto that list someday.
SmartyBeardo
I think that Pirog is a better candidate than Lemieux. Lemieux seems tough and definitely throws some decent heat, but Pirog has the height, length, pop and skills to be special (if he doesn't end up dead in a vat of vd infested Russian Standard).

Pirog is probably the dude I want to see fight more than any other star prospect. Where the fuck is he? The skills he displayed in his last fight were impressive- almost a hybrid of American and Eastern European styles. That was one of the most impressive victories of 2010.
SENTRAL

This is what defines a future star. Those who add Pirog, yea I agree also.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jan 4 2011, 07:43 AM) *

Lemieux has proven that he can KO punching bags. It is time for him to step up to real boxers.

Jacobs v Lemieux would be a decent start. Lemieux v Pirog, if he gets by that test.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jan 4 2011, 11:43 AM) *

Having watched a bit of him on YouTube he reminds me somewhat of Nigel Benn. That's a compliment BTW. He looks very come forward aggression type of fighter and seems to draw a lot of power pivoting with those hips exploding left and right hook combo's.

Like Beardo said though we never know what aguy is really made of until they take the next step up which is why I guess these guess are in a 'fighters of the future' thread.

I say get him to America.
gravytrain
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 4 2011, 11:16 PM) *
If Keyser Sose defeats Zab, he makes the list.

no he doesn't lol. i do think he's going to beat Zab's ass though. hopefully the odds makers sleep on the African Assassin.
PR316
There's some pretty good young fighters out there.

Charles Hatley

Speed, power, and good skills. He's exciting because of his aggressive style too. He'll be one to watch. He got dropped in his last fight against Augustus before coming back to win in the 8th round I think. He'll be a fan favorite because of his style and his ideal weight is probably 154. Hopefully within a couple of years he'll get some TV time.

Erislandy Lara

The best of the Cuban prospects IMO. He's got skill, power, speed, good defense, and a very aggressive style too. Don't know how well he takes a shot because he hasn't been tested legitimately yet by a big hitter, but he's another guy at 154 pounds who will make alot of noise and could be a future champion. He'll be fun to watch.

Luis Cruz

Puerto Rico's next big star, potentially. Extremely tall for the 130 pound weight class coming in at 6 feet or close to it. He's got good skills, knockout power in both hands, and a nice jab. The kid has alot of upside. He'll probably end up at 135 soon though, with his frame.

JLUVBABY
Who are the heavyweights of the future?.. or who is the heavyweight of the future?
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 5 2011, 01:47 PM) *
Who are the heavyweights of the future?.. or who is the heavyweight of the future?

probably Deontay Wilder. bronze medalist, 6'7" with a 84" reach and weighs 220, and with a good trainer he can learn to box and most likely be the top HW when Wlad and Vitali are gone.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
My state has a lot of pros that are coming up right now. Javontae Starks I think is 4-0, and he was an olympic alternative back in 08. Top Rank took a good look at him as well, and his future seems bright. He's one hell of a boxer, and I look for him to make noise.

Another fighter I like is Jamal James. This dude is a wirey jr. welterweight. who will probably grow into a jr. middleweight. I remember when I fought amateur, he was something like 95-10. He went to the national semifinals a few years ago I believe, and is one hell of a young man. He actually sparred with Jason Litzau to get him ready for Caballero. He's 2-0 right now, and he has a bright future.

Other fighters who are coming up that I feel can do big things are Terrance Crawford, Demetrius Andrade, Mickey Bey Jr, and Brad Solomon. A lot of the fighters listed in previous posts have already gotten to the point of being beyond up and coming. They've been on TV enough that people know who they are. They're closer to contending. These guys haven't taken that step up in competition (besides Solomon), and we'll see what happens when they do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.