Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: May Be Too Little Too Late, But...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Method
http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/ARTICLE...2011-01-03.html

8CN just spoke with boxing trainer Ozell Nelson who has been side by side with former undisputed middleweight world champion Jermain Taylor for several years. Nelson informed 8CN that he and Taylor have parted ways. In 2006 Nelson took the trainer spot from Pat Burns only to turn it over to Emanuel Steward shortly afterward. The Taylor/Steward partnership only lasted from 2006 to 2007 and Nelson took the helm again. This time he held onto the head training spot until now.

Nelson just informed 8CN that he and Taylor have parted ways, "We left in good standing, we are good though. It was just time to go in a different direction. This happens in boxing sometimes."

Nelson added, "Jermain took a year off and it looks like he's going to go back with Pat Burns." Burns has worked with Jermain Taylor since he fought in the amateurs all the way up to his first world title as a pro when he defeated Bernard Hopkins VIA split decision.
salvador
God I hope Jermain kept some of his money and isn't coming back because he's broke. I remember watching him in some kind of HBO personality piece and he had a Lamborghini or something stupid like that - and I think that might have even been before the first Hopkins fight.

On a side note, I think I've read that both DiBella and Arum are Harvard graduates. You would think that if they cared even a little about their fighters they would teach them about money. But of course it's in their best interests to keep the fighters needing money. One of my favorite stories about money in boxing is that someone in Bruce Seldon's camp insisted that he take his Tyson money and put it into an annuity that will pay him $30K a year for the rest of his life.

Jermain ain't got the drive or the chin to fight at the top level anymore and it makes absolutely no sense at all for him to even contemplate coming back. This is sad.
stateofthegame
Remember Meth I told you this months ago. As far as money goes I think Jermain is ok, I know he has had a financial advisor since he turned pro and his wife is successful as well. I know she had a business in Little Rock at one time.

As far as the split I do not know how friendly it was, I know that some at the gym say it was not a friendly split and that Jermain has turned his back on just about everyone. I think they probably on good terms because Ozell is like his father, but sometimes getting away from the other people may actually be a helping factor.
Method
QUOTE (stateofthegame @ Jan 4 2011, 01:03 PM) *
Remember Meth I told you this months ago. As far as money goes I think Jermain is ok, I know he has had a financial advisor since he turned pro and his wife is successful as well. I know she had a business in Little Rock at one time.

As far as the split I do not know how friendly it was, I know that some at the gym say it was not a friendly split and that Jermain has turned his back on just about everyone. I think they probably on good terms because Ozell is like his father, but sometimes getting away from the other people may actually be a helping factor.

Yeah, I remember (albeit vaguely).

I always though Pat Burns was the best for Jermain Taylor. He's a no-nonsense guy, and wont stand for JT slacking the fuck off. I also think Pat would not be involved with JT is he determines JT not fit to fight.

I dont see JT's bank statements, but I think he's probably got some steaks left in the freezer.

As for the comments about DiBella and Arum looking out and educating their guys - Don't think for a second that just because Arum or Lou (or Don or anyone else) has a fighter signed that they have a tight/personal relationship with said fighter. A lot of times they don't.

I know that DiBella and Burns do NOT like each other, so it would be interesting to see how this all works out. That said, I don't think DiBella promotes JT anymore...so maybe it doesn't matter.

gravytrain
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 4 2011, 12:32 PM) *
God I hope Jermain kept some of his money and isn't coming back because he's broke. I remember watching him in some kind of HBO personality piece and he had a Lamborghini or something stupid like that - and I think that might have even been before the first Hopkins fight.

On a side note, I think I've read that both DiBella and Arum are Harvard graduates. You would think that if they cared even a little about their fighters they would teach them about money. But of course it's in their best interests to keep the fighters needing money. One of my favorite stories about money in boxing is that someone in Bruce Seldon's camp insisted that he take his Tyson money and put it into an annuity that will pay him $30K a year for the rest of his life.

Jermain ain't got the drive or the chin to fight at the top level anymore and it makes absolutely no sense at all for him to even contemplate coming back. This is sad.

I'm sure they'd help them handle their finances for an extra 10-15%.
Method
Maybe The Conscience should do it.

Ahhhahahahahaha.
Warlord
QUOTE (Method @ Jan 4 2011, 11:09 PM) *

Ahhhahahahahaha.

laugh.gif
Warlord
QUOTE (Method @ Jan 4 2011, 11:09 PM) *

Ahhhahahahahaha.

laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
JT is done. Pavlik ruined him. Man I just can not see this dude getting his confidence, stamina, chin to work at the elite level. Sure he can beat some scrubs and some journeyman types though.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 5 2011, 10:13 AM) *
JT is done. Pavlik ruined him. Man I just can not see this dude getting his confidence, stamina, chin to work at the elite level. Sure he can beat some scrubs and some journeyman types though.

It's a shame that Taylor was such a flash in the pan because it kind of makes Hopkins look bad "losing" to him twice. I hate when shitty, raw fighters scoop up a victory or two over a much sounder guy and then just as quick as they burst on the scene they get their ass beat and go away.

Kind of reminds me of Mayorga getting 2 wins over the undefeated, more sound Forrest then losing his next fight and getting knocked out by Trinidad and De la Hoya shortly after that. Forrest must have said to himself "can't believe that scrub beat me twice" when he saw Mayorga a few years later and I'm sure Hopkins had similar thoughts after watching Taylor lose to Pavlik twice.
PR316
I think its probably over for JT.

He was a good fighter but he always got by more on his size and fast hands more than his skill.

I really didn't like what I saw against Abraham. With Froch it was a competitive fight before he gassed out. But against AA, I didn't see any sharpness and I didn't see too much fight in him.

Sometimes a break is what an athlete needs to regroup a little. But he would need to improve his craft big time if he was to even think about coming back and fighting the likes of Ward, Bute, Froch, Dirrell, Kessler, Dawson, Pascal, etc. I don't think he'd want a 3rd fight with Hopkins.
BrutalBodyShots
I'd actually like to see Hopkins fight Taylor a 3rd time just so he could avenge his "losses" because at this stage I think it would be a fairly easy tune up fight for Hopkins.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
This will be good for Jermain Taylor. I don't think he's done, but just needed a break. He looked good in fights against Froch and Abraham, and damn near pulled them out. He's fought some of the top fighters in the sport, and that was exhausting for him. He should come back with a couple tune up bouts to get that confidence back. He always looked his best with Pat Burns, and I think he'll come back and win a title.
Imperius3
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 4 2011, 11:32 AM) *

It's not Dibella's or Arum's job to teach their fighters how to use their money. It's not their business. Their fighters are grown men, and they can decide for themselves how to use their money.

I agree with you on Taylor not having the chin or drive though. I'm not sure what happened to Taylor, but he seemed to lose interest in boxing after his fights with Hopkins. He has regressed ever since then. I don't know if it was all the money he received or just a general loss of interest in the sport. He better be serious about this comeback though, or he might find himself sleeping on the canvas again. I remember he was hospitalized after the Abraham fight, and I'd hate for that to happen to him again, or something worse for that matter...
ViperSniper
Jermaine Taylor was thrown into the deep end too soon & never got a time to take a breather and pace his career. JT was still green, before he could develop into a grown fighter he was put in the ring against Bernard Hopkins arguably the greatest Middleweight of all time, two consecutive times. Jermaine Taylor's inexperienced showed against the crafty, skilled HOFer, but still managed to get both victories based on youth, energy & power! After that his put in the ring against Winky Wright a difficult southpaw fighter who no one wanted to fight & Cory Spinks who is another skilled southpaw with speed. These aren't exactly fighters you expect to look good against none the less a young fighter coming up who ended up getting those victories. Which to his credit did not receive a single L in all those fights, which is why I think he is one of the biggest overachievers in boxing today as his reign was very short, yet sweet.

It's a shame because Taylor seemed like a good dude who had the skills to become even greater but in hindsight never saw his full potential which you can't say about too many World Champions, none the less a Champion who compiled the victories he did in that short Middleweight reign.

I hope he can have some success on his comeback because the dude has fought everyone and would deserve some good his way!
salvador
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Jan 5 2011, 06:52 PM) *
It's not Dibella's or Arum's job to teach their fighters how to use their money. It's not their business. Their fighters are grown men, and they can decide for themselves how to use their money.

You're wrong. Arum and DiBella have a moral responsibility to steer their fighters in the right direction. JT is obviously not the brightest guy in the room and he's making millions of dollars for DiBella. DiBella, as someone who knows better, should damn well be making sure that JT spends the rest of his life comfortable instead of broke. It's pretty basic.
Imperius3
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 5 2011, 08:00 PM) *
You're wrong. Arum and DiBella have a moral responsibility to steer their fighters in the right direction. JT is obviously not the brightest guy in the room and he's making millions of dollars for DiBella. DiBella, as someone who knows better, should damn well be making sure that JT spends the rest of his life comfortable instead of broke. It's pretty basic.

In an ideal world that would be nice, but it just doesn't work like that. It's not their job...period.

Anyway, who is Taylor's promoter right now? DiBella resigned as Taylor's promoter after the Abraham fight. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/...oter/index.html

thehype
Old story. Taylor has been rumored to be reuniting with Pat Burns since May of last year.

Nothing new to see here...move along...move along.

laugh.gif
stateofthegame
Hype is right. It is not breaking new news. Jermain told this himself months ago on Arkansas radio.
Mean Mister Mustard
THe major problem with Taylor was that he never had incredible Ring IQ, and as a result relied mostly on his talent, as someone else mentioned before. His lack of stamina hurt him too: Gassed against Hopkins the first time and Ouma, although he won those fights, then it cost him against Pavlik 2X, Froch and Abraham.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.