Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thriving Boxing? Start Showing Big Fight Crowds/Oversees Top Matches in The States
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
USA networks, not just ESPN, but all of them: ESPN, Spike, HBO, Showtime, ABC, CBS, NBC should roll the dice, and start showing fights from other countries where boxing is still huge. Boxing may be suffering some in the USA. But it is still very popular in so many other parts if the world: Canada, Mexico, Japan, Korea, South America. Remember when Acelino Frietas was fighting? He would draw 50,000+ people to his fights, just to see him box in Brazil.

With USA boxing, everything is Vegas, Vegas, Vegas, where the high rollers just buy up the over-priced seats, and you probably won't get a crowd above 20,000. Some networks need to show some balls and have USA audiences see boxing on the world stage. Show that to American audiences on standard TV. Get them involved, get them excited and do whatever you can to keep the fights OFF PPV.

The world stage is huge for boxing, but you would never know that in the States. For instance Wlad Klitschko may be fighting Tomasz Adamek in a 50,000 soccer stadium in Poland, and (for once in a blue moon) we may have a Klitschko fight that is entertaining! HBO had better pick this up! But, given the way they market boxing, it will probably be a PPV or on streaming ESPN 3. The people that market boxing for the most part, are dolts, because they don't offer their product to where it could be seen by the greatest number of people in the world. Get Wlad-Adameck on a regular network that people can see without cable. Could you imagine the way that would work for the big superfight with Pascal-Bute?!

People in USA jurisdictions need to see boxing on the world stage. Invest in foreign TV rights so American's can see the big fights on the home screen. You do that, and get entertaining fights that Americans can watch, boxing will thrive again.

Jack
salvador
This is obvious. Not only because everyone here would appreciate it but because the networks (particularly ESPN2) would have access to better fights and because the promoters of the fighters would be getting that much more exposure for their fighters.

I spent a few months in Europe recently and it dawned on me that without football, basketball, or baseball, Europe doesn't have the same amount of first class sports to compete for viewers' attention. As a consequence, boxing doesn't have the competition for fans that it does in the USA. And so boxing, like swimming, gymnastics and a bunch of other boring as hell sports get a lot more attention in Europe than they do here.

But the real reason that boxing is dying here (as has been discussed at length here) is that the basic demographic of would be boxing fans don't have access to HBO/Showtime and if they do, they are reluctant to pay $50 to see a boxing match on tv. And since any time an exciting fighter has a big fight it's on PPV, a huge percentage of the would be boxing fans miss out on an opportunity to develop a love of the sport because they miss the really big/exciting fights. It's all those greedy managers, promoters, cable companies, and superstar fighters who've ruined everything here!
JLUVBABY
championship quality fights in my opinion need to go back to being broadcast on abc, cbs, nbc and fox... free television is where its at for the younger lesser known champions... once they prove to build a following then they should be allowed to upgrade to hbo or showtime then possibly to ppv status... boxing was so huge in the 80's and 90's cuzz you saw champions fighting on abc wide world of sports or nbc and cbs.. and later fox... thats not the case anymore... these guys are making too much money and have become spoiled... i saw so many great fights on free television growing up... holmes and ali fought on abc... ray leonard... cooney... and a bunch more thats just off the top of my head...
Maxy
Boxing on free TV is the only way to go if you're going to rebuild the fanbase in America. I was looking at some stats the other day from when all the boxing over here was on free TV. Nigel Benn vs Chris Eubank brought in 18 million viewers!!! That's right, 18 million!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 11 2011, 02:33 AM) *
Boxing on free TV is the only way to go if you're going to rebuild the fanbase in America. I was looking at some stats the other day from when all the boxing over here was on free TV. Nigel Benn vs Chris Eubank brought in 18 million viewers!!! That's right, 18 million!

nigel benn vs chris eubanks was shown here in the states on abc wide world of sports...
Jack 1000
Published version on the front page, here:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content9143...b56e76983ff3d19

Jack

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 11 2011, 04:13 PM) *
Published version on the front page, here:

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content9143...b56e76983ff3d19

Jack

only in a perfect world jack... lol... if promoters actually cared about the sport thre would be a chance of that happening but these guys are all money hungry (cant say i blame them)... it kinda is what it is... as great as they where the fighters to blame are ali, tyson and dela hoya... in my opinion... ali started the major million dollar paydays and tyson brought it to an all new level... dela hoya took that thrown and with him being a lighter weight fighter in my opinion thats where it really got muddied... now we have holyfield vs williams on ppv at 30 dollars... lol... crazy...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.