Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frank Warren: I would make James DeGale vs. Kelly Pavlik right now
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Maxy
By Mark Vester
Promoter Frank Warren is ready to move super middleweight prospect James DeGale (9-0, 7KOs) to another level. Warren says he is ready and willing to match his Olympic gold medal winner against former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik (36-2, 32KOs). If Pavlik wants a fight with DeGale, Warren is willing to make an immediate deal.
Pavlik spent the last few weeks at a rehab facility in California. The former champ was treating his well known drinking problem. Pavlik checked out last Monday but nothing has been made clear about the future of his career.
"Former world middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik has checked out of rehab where he has been battling a drink problem. If he wants to fight James DeGale, I'd make that one in a heartbeat this year," Warren said.

What do you make of this? Is it simply a case of Warren calling somebody out who he knows is a long way off returning to the ring, or has Frank, usually such a careful match maker, got so much belief in DeGale he is ready to step up to this type of level already?

Personally, I really do rate DeGale but I see no point in rushing him.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 9 2011, 01:31 PM) *
By Mark Vester
Promoter Frank Warren is ready to move super middleweight prospect James DeGale (9-0, 7KOs) to another level. Warren says he is ready and willing to match his Olympic gold medal winner against former middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik (36-2, 32KOs). If Pavlik wants a fight with DeGale, Warren is willing to make an immediate deal.
Pavlik spent the last few weeks at a rehab facility in California. The former champ was treating his well known drinking problem. Pavlik checked out last Monday but nothing has been made clear about the future of his career.
"Former world middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik has checked out of rehab where he has been battling a drink problem. If he wants to fight James DeGale, I'd make that one in a heartbeat this year," Warren said.

What do you make of this? Is it simply a case of Warren calling somebody out who he knows is a long way off returning to the ring, or has Frank, usually such a careful match maker, got so much belief in DeGale he is ready to step up to this type of level already?

Personally, I really do rate DeGale but I see no point in rushing him.

A couple of things.

Number one you've nailed it with the rehab thing. Pavlik is still a name but coming out of rehab (who knows if it was even successful?) is about as good a time as any to get a guy.

Secondly warren has lot his marquee names over the years by not getting them big American fights quick enough. I wonder if he is now trying to be a bit more proactive in this area in the hops that guys don't leave him to go and sign with American promoters?
lloyd mayflower
Put the little bastard in with Sergio.

In all seriousness tho, I think Warren fears another rising star leaving his stable in pursuit of the big fights that they perceive the ginger maggot to be unable to get for them. DeGale is making his mouth go constantly so he clearly believes hes already fit for the top names. If Warren doesnt deliver then he will follow in the footsteps of Hatton, Calzaghe and Khan and jump ship.
Maxy
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 9 2011, 05:54 PM) *
A couple of things.

Number one you've nailed it with the rehab thing. Pavlik is still a name but coming out of rehab (who knows if it was even successful?) is about as good a time as any to get a guy.

Secondly warren has lot his marquee names over the years by not getting them big American fights quick enough. I wonder if he is now trying to be a bit more proactive in this area in the hops that guys don't leave him to go and sign with American promoters?

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 10 2011, 05:40 AM) *
Put the little bastard in with Sergio.

In all seriousness tho, I think Warren fears another rising star leaving his stable in pursuit of the big fights that they perceive the ginger maggot to be unable to get for them. DeGale is making his mouth go constantly so he clearly believes hes already fit for the top names. If Warren doesnt deliver then he will follow in the footsteps of Hatton, Calzaghe and Khan and jump ship.

You've both picked up on a point I hadn't actually thought of but in all honesty I don't see DeGale thinking too hard about jumping ship just yet. Whilst things are still rosy I expect DeGale to stick with Frank but behind the scenes, perhaps there are murmurings of discontentment and James has maybe been pressuring Warren for a big name opponent. There is no way Frank would want to lose DeGale as he is potentially the largest cash cow to come out of England for some time.

Frank likes his name in the headlines. Only last week he had Kell Brook calling out Amir Khan. Of course he'd love to make that fight, he'd love for one of his boys to "do one" on Khan, but this talk about Pavlik, is, in my opinion, just a way to get people overseas taking an interest in who this DeGale kid is. He knows full well that Pavlik ain't ready to fight again yet and if he does come back he won't be doing it against a 9 fight novice.
lloyd mayflower
Sorry Ollie, didnt really read your post fully before adding mine. Just noticed that I basically repeated what you said over again!

Good point mate, well done!

DeGale is just arrogant enough to think he deserves a fight with Pavlik or some of the other top names. Warren finds himself in a catch 22 situation here. Does he develop DeGale the way he thinks is right and risk DeGales ego getting out of control and leaving to Top Rank or GBP? Or does he get him the big fight and risk him getting filled in very early in his promising career?

Personally, I want it to be whatever option results in someone stiffening the prick!
STEVENSKI
I don't know all the ins & outs of British boxing but Warren seems to develop fighters & make them huge stars in the UK so that when they enter the US market their marquee value is high.

Lets see what he can do with James as opposed to whoever is promoting Andre Ward. Ward is a gold medallist yet he is a nobody outside the hardcore fan who knows him. Say what you like about European boxing but they make their better quality fighters genuine stars whichis something that America seems to have forgotten how to do.
Maxy
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 10 2011, 04:39 PM) *
I don't know all the ins & outs of British boxing but Warren seems to develop fighters & make them huge stars in the UK so that when they enter the US market their marquee value is high.

Lets see what he can do with James as opposed to whoever is promoting Andre Ward. Ward is a gold medallist yet he is a nobody outside the hardcore fan who knows him. Say what you like about European boxing but they make their better quality fighters genuine stars whichis something that America seems to have forgotten how to do.

That's a really good point. DeGale is the type of fella who will divide opinion because of his cocksure personality. Lloyd already hates him. Warren manages to build up his fighters to absurd proportions at the expense of their development though. Maybe he is more confident in DeGale than he has been his past fighters and will move him accordingly.

James is also a gold medalist and a lot of people are already comparing him to Ward. I'll say he'll be a bigger star over here than Ward is over there come mid 2012.....
JLUVBABY
fresh out of rehab... that may not be a bad fight for degale... id think this would be the best time to catch pavlik before he gets to getting his mojo back... i would hope pavs people would be smart enough to know he needs at least 2 or 3 fights before anything major...
Fitz
Who is this?

Maxy
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 11 2011, 02:59 AM) *
Who is this?

Some Naz wannabe. Usman Ahmed. Serves him right, haha. Good KO.
STEVENSKI
Fuckin Paki cunt got what he deserved.
Fitz
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 11 2011, 07:55 PM) *

I laughed hard at this. Perfect combination of words, and 'Paki' goes extremely well with the other words.

laugh.gif
Maxy
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 11 2011, 04:55 AM) *

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 11 2011, 06:01 AM) *
I laughed hard at this. Perfect combination of words, and 'Paki' goes extremely well with the other words.

laugh.gif

I fuckin' pissed myself when I read that as well.

laugh.gif
Fitz
Hey Maxy, you been following the premier league still? I haven't watched much, but good to see Manchester on top. At the start of the season, on paper. I thought Chelsea easily. Must be happy with Chelsea's downward spiral.

laugh.gif

Bump the soccer thread some time, with PR. I can't input much, but I have said before. I always love to read a bit on it.
Maxy
Yeah, I'll bump it. It's fuckin top notch seeing Chelsea play so badly at the minute.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 11 2011, 09:01 PM) *

laugh.gif

It's not that I am racist I call all Arabs & Sub Continent people "fuckin Paki's" it's a habit I picked up from me ole china from ammersmiff.

Hey Fitz wanna go Paki bashing in Altona? If not we can go Slope slammin at Box Hill but I ain't goin to fuckin Springavale or Footascray.
JLUVBABY
i just read about the tsunami in australia... just checking to make sure our aussie brothaz are ok!!!! please respond back guys...
Maxy
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 11 2011, 10:57 AM) *
i just read about the tsunami in australia... just checking to make sure our aussie brothaz are ok!!!! please respond back guys...

I don't know whereabouts Fitz, Stevenski and Aussielad come from but I've seen them all on here this morning so I'm thinking they are all OK. It's some right bad shit down there though. Terrible floods, bloody awful scenes. Looking at the pictures and the news stories it's a total fuckin' nightmare.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 11 2011, 09:17 AM) *
I don't know whereabouts Fitz, Stevenski and Aussielad come from but I've seen them all on here this morning so I'm thinking they are all OK. It's some right bad shit down there though. Terrible floods, bloody awful scenes. Looking at the pictures and the news stories it's a total fuckin' nightmare.

yeah man im concerned about my australian connection... but if theyve been on since that episode then i guess they are cool... thats terrible what happened down there...
lloyd mayflower
Man, I tried so hard to turn this thread into a little pocket of hate for James DeGale. It seems its just not going to happen!

Hope the Aussies are ok. I think Stevenski has pulled on the Doc Martens and is off commiting hate crimes, and Fitz may have joined him.
Fitz
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 11 2011, 10:25 PM) *
It's not that I am racist I call all Arabs & Sub Continent people "fuckin Paki's" it's a habit I picked up from me ole china from ammersmiff.

Hey Fitz wanna go Paki bashing in Altona? If not we can go Slope slammin at Box Hill but I ain't goin to fuckin Springavale or Footascray.

laugh.gif

Don't worry, I'm not racist either, but always find derogatory terms funny, even against my own. As long as people aren't serious about it, lol.

You are picking up the areas now, lol. I lived the next suburb down from Box Hill, and went to Tafe there. Now I work right next to Springvale, and venture out that way to my lunch breaks.
Went to Springvale KFC the other week. The absolute worst. Some extremely obese woman, looked in her mid 20's, on crutches, could see her arm fat hang over the crutch handle. Had an eye brow ring, dyed red hair with dandruff, looked like a dole bludger. With another ratty guy in a track suit. She kicked up a fuss about her meal and was making a big scene. It was terrible in there, she had so self respect for herself and took her take away meal from KFC too seriously. Terrible in there.

I also went to Springvale where all the asian shops are. Right in the last heart of Springvale. Went to the fish market last But if week to buy bait for fishing with friends. I have an asian friend, and said it's like a jungle in there. Everyone there are FOBS. It's like you are in a different country.
But it's great there for food and cheap. I went to a place near my work, got a Vietnamese roll (they are the best salad rolls), an iced bubble tea and a red bull (the proper stuff from Thailand) for $7.50. Dirt cheap.

Haven't been to Footscray much. You travelled to Broadmeadows yet? Haha.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 12 2011, 01:57 AM) *

Yeah we live in Melbourne so we are cool. One thing I find annoying is if another country is in trouble with bushfires or whatever we always help out yet I have not heard of one of the countries we have helped offering to help us out.

To give a idea of the size of this disaster the affected area is as big as Texas.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 12 2011, 07:24 AM) *
laugh.gif

Don't worry, I'm not racist either, but always find derogatory terms funny, even against my own. As long as people aren't serious about it, lol.

You are picking up the areas now, lol. I lived the next suburb down from Box Hill, and went to Tafe there. Now I work right next to Springvale, and venture out that way to my lunch breaks.
Went to Springvale KFC the other week. The absolute worst. Some extremely obese woman, looked in her mid 20's, on crutches, could see her arm fat hang over the crutch handle. Had an eye brow ring, dyed red hair with dandruff, looked like a dole bludger. With another ratty guy in a track suit. She kicked up a fuss about her meal and was making a big scene. It was terrible in there, she had so self respect for herself and took her take away meal from KFC too seriously. Terrible in there.

I also went to Springvale where all the asian shops are. Right in the last heart of Springvale. Went to the fish market last But if week to buy bait for fishing with friends. I have an asian friend, and said it's like a jungle in there. Everyone there are FOBS. It's like you are in a different country.
But it's great there for food and cheap. I went to a place near my work, got a Vietnamese roll (they are the best salad rolls), an iced bubble tea and a red bull (the proper stuff from Thailand) for $7.50. Dirt cheap.

Haven't been to Footscray much. You travelled to Broadmeadows yet? Haha.

I have gotten around a bit in Melbourne seeing my customers. Some of the areas I have been & instantly recognised as bad is Scumshine (that area is just nasty nasty nasty) Werribee stinks like shit literally. Springvale is just Asia & Box "cutter" Hill is like a smaller "nicer" version of Spring "roll" vale where you only get offered caps outside the railway station.

Probably the worst place I have seen was driving through Dandenong. Just single teenage mothers roaming in packs drinking Woodstocks whilst pushing their prams & a lot of people walking around in burkas. What a shithole!

Good thing I live in the nice part of Melbourne I suppose. I love Vietcong rolls although you always run the risk of a day off work when eating them.
Fitz
You still need to visit Frankston, haha.
Fitz
Thanks Andy Roddick. He donated $10,000

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/...x-1225985906432
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 12 2011, 09:45 AM) *
You still need to visit Frankston, haha.

So I hear. Franga is meant to be a real hole. Rosebud seems nice too as that is always in the news.
Fitz
Frankston is scummy, full of bogans. Though apparently it's illegal to smoke on some streets outside their now.

Rosebud, I don't know much about. I imagine throughout the year, it's just locals up there, which probably aren't the best people. But in the summer season. all the way from Dromana to Portsea is beautiful and packed. Though it can kind of feel like Melbourne just moved to the Peninsula in the summer. I have gone up there in summer, and without fail, I will see people back from my area back in Melbourne. Everyone goes down there.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 11 2011, 04:20 PM) *
Yeah we live in Melbourne so we are cool. One thing I find annoying is if another country is in trouble with bushfires or whatever we always help out yet I have not heard of one of the countries we have helped offering to help us out.

To give a idea of the size of this disaster the affected area is as big as Texas.

damn... thats pretty major stev... it takes i know over 12 hours to drive from one end to the next... thats a lot... my prayers go out to the people down there...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 10 2011, 09:42 AM) *
Sorry Ollie, didnt really read your post fully before adding mine. Just noticed that I basically repeated what you said over again!

Good point mate, well done!

DeGale is just arrogant enough to think he deserves a fight with Pavlik or some of the other top names. Warren finds himself in a catch 22 situation here. Does he develop DeGale the way he thinks is right and risk DeGales ego getting out of control and leaving to Top Rank or GBP? Or does he get him the big fight and risk him getting filled in very early in his promising career?

Personally, I want it to be whatever option results in someone stiffening the prick!

Yeah that's right you arrogant fuck, don't even bother to read the posts before yours. Who do you think you are? James DeGale? laugh.gif

Listen buddy I trust you, I haven't seen any of DeGale yet but add me to your wagon, if my Scottish connection says he's a prick then he must be! I wanna see him get his block knocked off!!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 11 2011, 05:20 PM) *

Steve you know New Zealand will be there for you mate, mainly becaue half our country is already over there! laugh.gif
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 12 2011, 08:05 AM) *
Yeah that's right you arrogant fuck, don't even bother to read the posts before yours. Who do you think you are? James DeGale? laugh.gif

Listen buddy I trust you, I haven't seen any of DeGale yet but add me to your wagon, if my Scottish connection says he's a prick then he must be! I wanna see him get his block knocked off!!

Thanks mate. I dont hate lightly, this shit is just and proper! The more he gets himself into the news the more people will realise! He is entirely too far ahead of himself. He is nine fights in and I have already heard Pavliks and Wards names coming out his mouth!
SmartyBeardo
Pavlik is fighting for his life right now. I wish him luck with his demons.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 12 2011, 04:34 PM) *

Good reason to hate DeGale for calling him out???
Fitz
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 13 2011, 03:34 AM) *

Doesn't he just have a drinking problem?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 12 2011, 12:56 PM) *
Doesn't he just have a drinking problem?

"A drinking problem" is when you drink more than your spouse would prefer. Alcoholism is a minute by minute battle for control of your life that too many lose.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 12 2011, 11:16 AM) *
Good reason to hate DeGale for calling him out???

DeGale aint even on my radar screen.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 12 2011, 03:59 PM) *
"A drinking problem" is when you drink more than your spouse would prefer. Alcoholism is a minute by minute battle for control of your life that too many lose.

I am sure I know very little compared to you on this subject, but just from seeing my cousin as an alcoholic for about 15 years can be heart breaking.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 12 2011, 11:44 PM) *
The "Amerikans" have.

Not my area of expertise. Floods suck. Stay high and dry.

The link appears to be broken but I am sure the USA will help somehow as they are our closest ally.

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 13 2011, 07:59 AM) *

Exactly. I have a similar disease & I can assure you that if I kept doing what I was I would have topped myself long ago. Been in recovery for 3 years now. I was a binge drinking alcoholic for a number of years & would get the DT's & all that but my other addiction was far far more damaging & dominant.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 12 2011, 02:14 PM) *
The link appears to be broken but I am sure the USA will help somehow as they are our closest ally.

Exactly. I have a similar disease & I can assure you that if I kept doing what I was I would have topped myself long ago. Been in recovery for 3 years now. I was a binge drinking alcoholic for a number of years & would get the DT's & all that but my other addiction was far far more damaging & dominant.

Sorry about the link (from a tech challenged individual).

I know that it is a daily battle but I want to congratulate you on taking your life back. I mean that sincerely. If I were an octopus with five fingers on the end of every tentacle I could not count the friends, family and associates who have succumbed to alcohol and drug addiction.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 13 2011, 10:16 AM) *
I know that it is a daily battle but I want to congratulate you on taking your life back. I mean that sincerely. If I were an octopus with five fingers on the end of every tentacle I could not count the friends, family and associates who have succumbed to alcohol and drug addiction.

Thanks Smarty. I spent a good 10 years in the abyss of gambling & it robbed me of everything. About the only good thing it did was slow down my drug abuse & a hospital trip stopped my drinking but nothing & I mean nothing compared to gambling.

I am not ashamed to say that I hit rock bottom multiple times & made a genuine attempt at suicide that thankfully did not work. I do work in rehab hospitals once a month & tell the patients my story. I get asked did I sell anything especially by junkies? I sold many things to fund it but the thing I sold cheapest was my sanity. You don't go on multi day benders using drugs to keep you up so you can gamble without being completely off your fucking head.

I am not a bad person & I am lucky that I have a wonderful person in my life & she accepts me for being me & understands that I suffer from a serious disease & relapse is only a day away. Fitz is probably the only guy on here that knows just how prevalent gambling is in all walks of Australian life & I still struggle daily with this.

Anyway rant over sorry for hijacking this thread.
Fitz
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 13 2011, 06:27 PM) *
Thanks Smarty. I spent a good 10 years in the abyss of gambling & it robbed me of everything. About the only good thing it did was slow down my drug abuse & a hospital trip stopped my drinking but nothing & I mean nothing compared to gambling.

I am not ashamed to say that I hit rock bottom multiple times & made a genuine attempt at suicide that thankfully did not work. I do work in rehab hospitals once a month & tell the patients my story. I get asked did I sell anything especially by junkies? I sold many things to fund it but the thing I sold cheapest was my sanity. You don't go on multi day benders using drugs to keep you up so you can gamble without being completely off your fucking head.

I am not a bad person & I am lucky that I have a wonderful person in my life & she accepts me for being me & understands that I suffer from a serious disease & relapse is only a day away. Fitz is probably the only guy on here that knows just how prevalent gambling is in all walks of Australian life & I still struggle daily with this.

Sorry man, never knew that much. I knew about the alcohol, but not the gambling and suicide attempt or how bad it was. Credit to you for getting your life back on track. I'm not just saying it, but I think coming back from when you are so far down is one of the biggest acts of strength.
I know my grandad had drinking problems, and heard stories (from before I was born), but ever since I have been on this earth, he hasn't had a drop and is a decent person. He can still get on my nerves and has faults like anybody, but from what I have heard, he has changed, and I respect that.
Fitz
I also know how hard the gambling must be. I love to have a bet, but have it well under control and don't spend money that I can't afford to lose. But I can see how easy it is to get drawn in. Pokie machines are the worst though I think, I don't use them.
But I know what you meant about it in Australia. I have commented on it several times to people in the last couple of years, but I have noticed how much more advertising is being done for sports bets. Advertising on TV about sites to join, watching the footy show, and with each match up, they have betting lines. Then Billy Brownless or someone will say something "you can get Hawthorn by under 18.5 points at 2.80", if there is a bet, Sportsbet.com will have a line. Or something along those lines. They are constantly plugging sites, and more of it is now on TV.
Even me as a guy that bets, I don't like it. But I'm not sure where the line gets drawn? Smoking advertising is banned. But gambling isn't? Should they advertise alcohol?
I'm not sure how the line gets drawn, but I think there is more advertising with gambling now. I just don't know how you can separate on what is and isn't allowed.
STEVENSKI
It's all good Fitz. I would not change a thing because these experiences have made me the man I am today. Most people have no idea how good it feels to know you have a cupboard with food in it & a tank of petrol in the car. Simple shit that is taken for granted & were major achievements for me at points in my recovery.

Pokies were the real fucker for me. I was always a pretty big horse & sports punter but nothing got me like pokies. I am not a stupid man but they really hooked me. It is not normal behaviour to be up 5 figures one day & then not having the money to buy a cup of coffee the next.

The sports betting annoys me but i just switch off now but it is fucking everywhere!! The spring carnival was testing down here as everyone at work was talking constantly about the horses. These days I just chill. I don't go to pubs or clubs by myself as I have no business there. If you sit in a barbers chair long enough you will get a haircut & it is the same with the clubs & pubs.

All I can say is that the financial effects are one thing but nothing compares to the mental anguish of coming down from a bender. Thing of a X binge comedown & multiply that by 1000. I'm talking fetal position shaking & shit until you can get someone to give you money & then go & do it all again praying you will get a big win to keep the party going. At the end it would take me 2-3 days to recover from even a small 2-3 hour gambling session & I was betting a lot less than previously but I was feeling worse & worse mentally.

I am not anti gambling just like I am not anti drinking. 95% of the population do not have a problem with gambling so why should they suffer. I know a woman who embezzeled $1.5M from her boss. She is a good woman who is just very sick. Did she deserve 4 years jail? Absofuckinloutely she broke the law.

I could go on & on about it but what matters is that I have a lot lot more to lose today than I did at 20 or 25. What I have today spiritually & emotionally money cannot buy & I feel like a member of the human race.

Oh yeah this DeGale cunt is no Ken Buchannan.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 13 2011, 12:06 PM) *

One question: Do you want on?
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 12 2011, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 13 2011, 12:32 AM) *
I also know how hard the gambling must be. I love to have a bet, but have it well under control and don't spend money that I can't afford to lose. But I can see how easy it is to get drawn in. Pokie machines are the worst though I think, I don't use them.
But I know what you meant about it in Australia. I have commented on it several times to people in the last couple of years, but I have noticed how much more advertising is being done for sports bets. Advertising on TV about sites to join, watching the footy show, and with each match up, they have betting lines. Then Billy Brownless or someone will say something "you can get Hawthorn by under 18.5 points at 2.80", if there is a bet, Sportsbet.com will have a line. Or something along those lines. They are constantly plugging sites, and more of it is now on TV.
Even me as a guy that bets, I don't like it. But I'm not sure where the line gets drawn? Smoking advertising is banned. But gambling isn't? Should they advertise alcohol?
I'm not sure how the line gets drawn, but I think there is more advertising with gambling now. I just don't know how you can separate on what is and isn't allowed.

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 13 2011, 04:06 AM) *
It's all good Fitz. I would not change a thing because these experiences have made me the man I am today. Most people have no idea how good it feels to know you have a cupboard with food in it & a tank of petrol in the car. Simple shit that is taken for granted & were major achievements for me at points in my recovery.

Pokies were the real fucker for me. I was always a pretty big horse & sports punter but nothing got me like pokies. I am not a stupid man but they really hooked me. It is not normal behaviour to be up 5 figures one day & then not having the money to buy a cup of coffee the next.

The sports betting annoys me but i just switch off now but it is fucking everywhere!! The spring carnival was testing down here as everyone at work was talking constantly about the horses. These days I just chill. I don't go to pubs or clubs by myself as I have no business there. If you sit in a barbers chair long enough you will get a haircut & it is the same with the clubs & pubs.

All I can say is that the financial effects are one thing but nothing compares to the mental anguish of coming down from a bender. Thing of a X binge comedown & multiply that by 1000. I'm talking fetal position shaking & shit until you can get someone to give you money & then go & do it all again praying you will get a big win to keep the party going. At the end it would take me 2-3 days to recover from even a small 2-3 hour gambling session & I was betting a lot less than previously but I was feeling worse & worse mentally.

I am not anti gambling just like I am not anti drinking. 95% of the population do not have a problem with gambling so why should they suffer. I know a woman who embezzeled $1.5M from her boss. She is a good woman who is just very sick. Did she deserve 4 years jail? Absofuckinloutely she broke the law.

I could go on & on about it but what matters is that I have a lot lot more to lose today than I did at 20 or 25. What I have today spiritually & emotionally money cannot buy & I feel like a member of the human race.

Fucking gambling.

When I was a youth, you had to go to Nevada or New Joyzy to do most gambling. Now, there are 5 or 6 full blown casinos within 50 miles of my residence. Sure it is legal and the majority of people will not become full blown addicts, but is it healthy for society to play it up as a normal recreational activity?

Something along the lines of putting a shark in every public pool. Only one person will get consumed each day so it aint so bad? Your kid's odds are pretty good to survive as long as there are plenty of other kids in the pool.

Bullshit if you ask me. We have the freedom to legalize gambling as a society and we should have the sense as a society to stop the corporatists from preying on our children like carnivores and parasites.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Jan 13 2011, 11:17 PM) *
One question: Do you want on?

Yeah sign me up. With a name like DeGale he ain't no Scot. Some kind of Frenchy I suspect.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 13 2011, 01:27 AM) *

stev... this comes from the bottom of my heart man... and i know we've never met a first time... but i look at you regular posters as my brothers on here... we all have our demons no matter what they are... but my statement to you is i love you like a brother man and i am very glad and you are very blessed you where able to shake that demon off your back.... even though we are all different ethnics, come from different countries and we all have different backgrounds we have all been on this board fussing and fighting and giving our point of view about the fights for a long time now... rather it be private message or in the open we need to make sure we keep things tight between us in case any of us ever need that support... again... this goes for stev or anyone reading this thats a contributor to the board that ive got to know... id be crushed to know anything happen to any of you guys... stay strong stev. you have nothing to be ashamed about... like ive said who ever wants to point a finger at you have 3 pointing right back at them...
STEVENSKI
Cheers man. I appreciate the love. This board helped get me through some very hard times with all the laughs I have had on here the last 7 years. Life is great for me now & that is because I enjoy today & don't worry about yesterday. I also feel like this board is like a family on here & the family has lost a lot of members but those who hang around here certainly know their shit & I think this is like a Mensa of boxing forums compared to 90% of the other forums.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.