Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tommy Morrison fighting in Canada
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
So Tommy Morrison is still out there plugging along and has a fight coming up next month in Quebec. From what I understand, although I could be wrong, Quebec is not some podunk town in W.V. that will license you even if you can't breath. So if he DOES fight there, does that mean that he's possibly correct in not having H.I.V.?

Or does Quebec not check for that type of thing?
The Original MrFactor
The whole climate and rhetoric about HIV has taken a drastic change over the last 15 years. 20 years ago, when Magic Johnson made his announcement, me an my friends all thought that Magic had 5 years or less to live. When tommy Morrison made his announcement, it wasnt really the same. People thought he shouldnt fight again, but he'd probably live for a while after the diagnosis. Now that both guys have come out and said that they dont have the virus anymore, I'm a bit skeptical about the whole situation. Is HIV as bad as people say?? Or has some super secret cure been found. I'll tell you what, I wouldnt be the second guy in a train on some bangin ass chick, at their houses... I'd also still be very cautious fighting Morrison because of the threat to my own personal health that the virus poses.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 10 2011, 06:02 PM) *
The whole climate and rhetoric about HIV has taken a drastic change over the last 15 years. 20 years ago, when Magic Johnson made his announcement, me an my friends all thought that Magic had 5 years or less to live. When tommy Morrison made his announcement, it wasnt really the same. People thought he shouldnt fight again, but he'd probably live for a while after the diagnosis. Now that both guys have come out and said that they dont have the virus anymore, I'm a bit skeptical about the whole situation. Is HIV as bad as people say?? Or has some super secret cure been found. I'll tell you what, I wouldnt be the second guy in a train on some bangin ass chick, at their houses... I'd also still be very cautious fighting Morrison because of the threat to my own personal health that the virus poses.

Well Tommy has said in the past that he thinks it was a false positive, although he's also said he was going to have some big public tests to prove that, and I don't think that ever ended up happening.

So his take was that he never had it to start with, and that it was a mistake, I believe.

My point is not the venue willing to license him regardless, my point is if they are going to have strict testing for various things including HIV. So if he's fighting there, is this like his previous ones where he fought on indian reservations and backwood's clubs or whatever that would license him without the blood tests?

I would think that Quebec would actually have legitimate blood tests, so by him fighting there I didn't know if that would put that question to bed of whether or not he has the virus.
JLUVBABY
it wont matter... morrisons best days are way past him... he shouldnt be fighting anyway and if the fight is allowed to go on the canadian boxing commision or what not should be heavily scrutinized...
Byrd Man
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 10 2011, 09:14 PM) *
it wont matter... morrisons best days are way past him... he shouldnt be fighting anyway and if the fight is allowed to go on the canadian boxing commision or what not should be heavily scrutinized...

Holy is getting licensed to fight still. I'd license Morrison before Holyfield, provided Morrison's blood tests come back clean.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 10 2011, 11:58 PM) *
Holy is getting licensed to fight still. I'd license Morrison before Holyfield, provided Morrison's blood tests come back clean.

it depends on the fighter... realistically larry holmes could probably come back and beat some of these heavies fighting today... but what im saying is morrison did test positive for h.i.v... and regardless of what anybody says if i was a boxer, even a joe blow needing the few hundred dollars that fight would pay me... it would not be worth it to possibly have morrisons blood on me unless he was able to defenitively prove he was negative... to my knowledge he has yet to prove he is hiv negative... but...

hiv aside i wouldnt go as far as to say id license morrison before holyfield even with clean results.. the reason holyfield is able to last so long is because he is a very solid boxer and like hopkins and a few other fighters in the past his age just hasnt caught up with him yet as it should have under normal circumstances... morrison at his very best was a one armed puncher with very limited boxing skills... he would get mutilated even in todays division, whereas in my opinion holyfield may still even at this stage be in the lower top 10 of contenders...
megaholic
I have read several articles about morrison over the years and from what I have read he does have HIV. I don't remember the sources and you never know how accurate everything you read is but here is a synopsis. They stated that Morrison is on a slew of HIV medicine and apparently what happens is the HIV in your blood count goes down to undetectable levels. So this would explain why some tests come back negative and some positive, depending on how well the medicine is working. I guess in cases where maybe he misses a dose or other factors like maybe he has a cold or his body resistance is low, he shows a positive test. Other times when he is doing good the HIV becomes undetectable and the test comes out negative.

I also read an article from his lawyer during his whole legal debacle and the lawyer said that he was in really bad shape because he wasn't taking his HIV medicine. The lawyer said that Tommy was in denial trying to prove that he didn't have HIV and he was getting real sick.

I have recently heard on the news where one person who had HIV was apparently cured. The person had cancer and received a bone marrow transplant. And apparently the new immune system from the bone marrow not only fought of the Leukemia but also attacked and killed the HIV. But they said that this is very rare because it was some sort of genetic condition in the donors bone marrow that was different and made it destroy the HIV. I have also heard on the news of studies they are doing on prostitutes in Africa and there is a person who should have Aids and doesn't. They believe it is that her immune system is resistent to the Virus. So apparently her body fights it off and is able to destroy the Virus.

It seems like that is the way they will be working towards the cure is by finding out how certain people's immune system is able to attack and destroy the virus.

My question about Morrison would be is he on HIV medicine. If he is on medicine that will be the answer. Rather than asking him to take an HIV test, lets ask him if he is on HIV medicine, then we will have our answer.

HaydelHammer
I'd like to see him rematch ray mercer...LOL
Byrd Man
QUOTE (megaholic @ Jan 11 2011, 06:54 AM) *
I have read several articles about morrison over the years and from what I have read he does have HIV. I don't remember the sources and you never know how accurate everything you read is but here is a synopsis. They stated that Morrison is on a slew of HIV medicine and apparently what happens is the HIV in your blood count goes down to undetectable levels. So this would explain why some tests come back negative and some positive, depending on how well the medicine is working. I guess in cases where maybe he misses a dose or other factors like maybe he has a cold or his body resistance is low, he shows a positive test. Other times when he is doing good the HIV becomes undetectable and the test comes out negative.

I also read an article from his lawyer during his whole legal debacle and the lawyer said that he was in really bad shape because he wasn't taking his HIV medicine. The lawyer said that Tommy was in denial trying to prove that he didn't have HIV and he was getting real sick.

I have recently heard on the news where one person who had HIV was apparently cured. The person had cancer and received a bone marrow transplant. And apparently the new immune system from the bone marrow not only fought of the Leukemia but also attacked and killed the HIV. But they said that this is very rare because it was some sort of genetic condition in the donors bone marrow that was different and made it destroy the HIV. I have also heard on the news of studies they are doing on prostitutes in Africa and there is a person who should have Aids and doesn't. They believe it is that her immune system is resistent to the Virus. So apparently her body fights it off and is able to destroy the Virus.

It seems like that is the way they will be working towards the cure is by finding out how certain people's immune system is able to attack and destroy the virus.

My question about Morrison would be is he on HIV medicine. If he is on medicine that will be the answer. Rather than asking him to take an HIV test, lets ask him if he is on HIV medicine, then we will have our answer.

Yeah I read the stuff about him being on the meds, but I believe he said he stopped taking the meds and was still testing clean. His problem though is he's had the chance to clear this up. He talked about some big thing in Vegas where he would be settling it once and for all, and then it never happened.

The fights he HAS had have all been at places that did not require him to get blood tests, or they didn't test for HIV. So I just figured that Quebec would obviously test for that type of thing, and by him fighting there, that would mean that he would get tested and his tests would be made public.

The lawyer that said that stuff, for what it's worth, has been beefing with Tommy for awhile over some money I believe. I know Tommy was pissed that he was talking shit about him and saying he was sick and whatnot.

I don't know, man. I used to LOVE this dude fighting, and thought he was the shit. I even loved Rocky 5. lol.

But now man...I look at him and he just looks different to me. Not meaning his condition, just his face. It looks all fucked up now for some reason, and not from taking punches I don't think. Maybe it's from the drug use, I dunno.

And he seems like more of a douchebag now too. I dunno what the deal is.

I will say this, and I've said it before. If he can PROVE that it was a false positive that got him blacklisted from the sport, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit can you imagine the lawsuit? This motherfucker was about to fight Tyson for that BIG money. He was in line for some big fights, and that all went away.

If it was ME, and I honestly believed it was a false positive and I had been wrongfully kicked out, I'd be kicking in doors and making as much noise as possible. Fuck that. The fact that he DIDN'T do that, gives me pause as to whether or not he's just bullshitting.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Jan 11 2011, 05:59 PM) *
Yeah I read the stuff about him being on the meds, but I believe he said he stopped taking the meds and was still testing clean. His problem though is he's had the chance to clear this up. He talked about some big thing in Vegas where he would be settling it once and for all, and then it never happened.

The fights he HAS had have all been at places that did not require him to get blood tests, or they didn't test for HIV. So I just figured that Quebec would obviously test for that type of thing, and by him fighting there, that would mean that he would get tested and his tests would be made public.

The lawyer that said that stuff, for what it's worth, has been beefing with Tommy for awhile over some money I believe. I know Tommy was pissed that he was talking shit about him and saying he was sick and whatnot.

I don't know, man. I used to LOVE this dude fighting, and thought he was the shit. I even loved Rocky 5. lol.

But now man...I look at him and he just looks different to me. Not meaning his condition, just his face. It looks all fucked up now for some reason, and not from taking punches I don't think. Maybe it's from the drug use, I dunno.

And he seems like more of a douchebag now too. I dunno what the deal is.

I will say this, and I've said it before. If he can PROVE that it was a false positive that got him blacklisted from the sport, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh shit can you imagine the lawsuit? This motherfucker was about to fight Tyson for that BIG money. He was in line for some big fights, and that all went away.

If it was ME, and I honestly believed it was a false positive and I had been wrongfully kicked out, I'd be kicking in doors and making as much noise as possible. Fuck that. The fact that he DIDN'T do that, gives me pause as to whether or not he's just bullshitting.

if morrison was testing false positive he would have proved his case many years ago byrd... for his sake i would hope he's right but i know if it was me id have proven my case years ago... his false negative story is at least 10 years or so old... if not 10 close to it...
Lil-lightsout
I never liked Morrison, always seemed like a smug prick. Loved his fight with Mercer, lol. This dude had it all and look how sad this is.

What is really amazing is that this whole crap about his HIV status is still unclear. I mean this has been for years now and you would think something concrete would clear this up.

Just out of curiosity though I would not mind seeing what the "Duke" looks like in the ring again. He probably still has a mean left hook, and a weak chin and no stamina.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 11 2011, 09:54 PM) *
I never liked Morrison, always seemed like a smug prick. Loved his fight with Mercer, lol. This dude had it all and look how sad this is.

What is really amazing is that this whole crap about his HIV status is still unclear. I mean this has been for years now and you would think something concrete would clear this up.

Just out of curiosity though I would not mind seeing what the "Duke" looks like in the ring again. He probably still has a mean left hook, and a weak chin and no stamina.

my guess is his chin is the same... im sure his stamina is worse and he probably has some type of punch left specially in his left hook... last i saw him looked like he had a big roided up body with a small head... he looked funny...
blackbelt2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrR_mDDR3wE

Morrison's most recent fight, he looks old and slow and very stiff.

Black

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jan 12 2011, 02:02 PM) *
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrR_mDDR3wE

Morrison's most recent fight, he looks old and slow and very stiff.

Black

Wow I did not even know he fought that recently.

Morrison looked pregnant and his entire body just looked weird.

His stamina is even worse then before.

His opponent was below a tomato can.

Watching shit like this is frustrating. I wish they could just line up about 20 stiffs for me just to make some easy money and look good.

It was sad watching that.
Fitz
Definitely not feeling this thread. Tommy Morrison thread in 2011...............sorry guys, got nothing.
JLUVBABY
tell you what... i just sat through that morrison fight and they had better keep him away from anybody with a pulse... a fighter like jimmy zimmermam (spelling) destroys him... i dont see him standing up to any of the standard gate keepers...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 12 2011, 03:48 PM) *
Definitely not feeling this thread. Tommy Morrison thread in 2011...............sorry guys, got nothing.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 12 2011, 08:46 PM) *
tell you what... i just sat through that morrison fight and they had better keep him away from anybody with a pulse... a fighter like jimmy zimmermam (spelling) destroys him... i dont see him standing up to any of the standard gate keepers...

Absolutely. But I sure would enjoy watching.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 12 2011, 07:49 PM) *
laugh.gif

Absolutely. But I sure would enjoy watching.

hell yeah... lol...
Byrd Man
Well in Tommy's defense I believe he had been off for a long time at that point, as he was unable to find a location that would let him fight.

So yeah he looked horrible. I would be interested to see if he got back into shape and got some regular fights how he'd do. Obviously not as good as he was (which wasn't great to begin with) but still...
BrutalBodyShots
Morrison's physique looks off to me... like he's as in shape as I think he can be at this stage... you can still see decent lines like in his lats but at the same time he just looks out of shape. Tough to explain.
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 14 2011, 03:25 AM) *
Morrison's physique looks off to me... like he's as in shape as I think he can be at this stage... you can still see decent lines like in his lats but at the same time he just looks out of shape. Tough to explain.

Yeah, it looks a little to me like Gatti did at welterweight, where he's got muscular definition, but a slightly 'bloated' out of shape look, like he's worked hard to get in 'aesthetic' shape instead of in 'fighting' shape.

Black
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.