Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pacquiao and Donaire have problems?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=34684

Is there trouble brewing between the two best fighters from the Philippines?

On Feb. 19 at the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas, an HBO-televised clash will be promoted by Top Rank Promotions featuring WBA interim super flyweight titlist Nonito Donaire (25-1, 17 knockouts) of the Philippines and WBO and WBC bantamweight king Fernando Montiel (44-2-2, 34 KOs) of Mexico.

Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum, considers Donaire to be the No. 2 fighter from the Philippines behind eight-division titlist Manny Pacquiao (52-3-2, 38 KOs), who is also promoted under the same company.

According to Rachel Donaire, the wife of Nonito, Team Pacquiao does not want her husband to appear on their undercards.

Top Rank had floated the idea of Nonito Donaire taking an undercard position to last November's fight between Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito at Cowboys Stadium. Rachel told FanHouse that Michael Koncz, the adviser to Pacquiao, called Top Rank and had Nonito pulled from the show. Rachel thinks the reason for Team Pacquiao's position is because Nonito is not promoted under MP Promotions, which is Manny Pacquiao's promotional company.

"I know for a fact that the November fight, Koncz called in and asked them to take him off the card. From what I heard it's Michael Koncz doing all the dealings because Nonito is not with MP Promotions and he doesn't want him on the cards," Rachel said.

The mutual promoter of both fighters sees no reason to place both of them on the same card. The combination of both fighters on the same card would be an overhaul on the Filipino audience, says Arum.

"Why? There's a limit to how much ice cream you could eat. You have the biggest Philippine attraction in Manny Pacquiao. The last thing I need is another Filipino on the card," Arum said.
STEVENSKI
Arum is right.
JLUVBABY
nice vid i found on this issue the other day...

ViperSniper
Never thought about this till now. I think it's a risk to Manny to put Donaire on one of his cards & can see reasons to why Arum may not put them under the one card.
salvador
It's not that Donaire would sell more tickets by being on the undercard, it's that by putting him on the undercard he could develop more of a fan base for when he headlines his own fights. If Arum cared about Donaire (and he wanted to make more money when Donaire fights) he would do it. It's not like anyone is buying any of Pac's fights for the undercard.

I'd never thought about this before, but you would think that Pac would want him on the undercard as a sign of solidarity among the only two Filipino stars in the sport. It would make Pac look good.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 13 2011, 03:23 PM) *
nice vid i found on this issue the other day...

Thanks JLUV. Chic in the red blouse (with the sweet chi chis haha.gif ) stole the show though.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 14 2011, 08:09 AM) *
Thanks JLUV. Chic in the red blouse (with the sweet chi chis haha.gif ) stole the show though.

i do what i can do when i can... lol... know what im sayin... lol..
gravytrain
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 14 2011, 07:53 AM) *
It's not that Donaire would sell more tickets by being on the undercard, it's that by putting him on the undercard he could develop more of a fan base for when he headlines his own fights. If Arum cared about Donaire (and he wanted to make more money when Donaire fights) he would do it. It's not like anyone is buying any of Pac's fights for the undercard.

I'd never thought about this before, but you would think that Pac would want him on the undercard as a sign of solidarity among the only two Filipino stars in the sport. It would make Pac look good.

I think it being too much Philippines for one card is complete bullshit and it's all about Donaire not being with MP promotions. If anything it'd be good exposure to pick up when Pac leaves the sport, he probably wont reach the level but there's still a potential for a big fan base out there. It's probably entirely a Michael Koncz decision to not have him on Pac cards.
Lil-lightsout
Pac is all about helping his fellow countrymen, why not help another boxing phenom? Only makes him look good. But in another way I guess they do not want Donaire stealing Pac's spotlight.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 14 2011, 02:17 PM) *
But in another way I guess they do not want Donaire stealing Pac's spotlight.

That's pretty much how I see it. Sad thing too. I'm a big Donaire fan, and thought this would have been a perfect alliance on the cards.

Oh well.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 14 2011, 05:17 PM) *
Pac is all about helping his fellow countrymen, why not help another boxing phenom? Only makes him look good. But in another way I guess they do not want Donaire stealing Pac's spotlight.

How's he going to steal Pac's spotlight? He might be Filipino but he's not shutting the country down every time he fights, Pac does. Nonito couldn't steal that cat's nightlight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 14 2011, 05:13 PM) *
How's he going to steal Pac's spotlight? He might be Filipino but he's not shutting the country down every time he fights, Pac does. Nonito couldn't steal that cat's nightlight.

same thing i was thinking... it goes deeper than that... my guess is they dont want people to see nonito is the better fighter... i could see nonito getting with pac in a p4p mythical matchup... just my opinion... did you watch that video i posted where nonitos wife talks on the subject... she seems very believable..
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Pac doesn't want Nonito stealing his spotlight and fair enough. He's worked hard to get where he is, why should he let another guy leverage off of that? No-one has ever said that Manny doesn't have a big ego.

If Nonito is good enough (and I think he is) he'll get there under his own steam. For a start he is defiantely with the right promoter. IMHO there are only 2 promoters left that know how to build a star from scratch, Arum and King. Don seems to be winding down these days so Arum is the man for the job.

Remember no-one likes money more than Arum and I'm sure he has plans on how to bring Donaire along at the right time.

Besides Nonito seems like a cool dude and not too peturbed by the situation. Michael Kuntz on the other hand............................
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 14 2011, 06:13 PM) *

Well that is my point. He is not near as promoted or seen as Pac, so if he is on an undercard as another Pinoy with all the Pacmaniacs watching, many would realize Pac is not the only great Filipino superstar. And then Nonito would get even more famous and maybe take some of the spot light off Pac. And I am sure Arum does not want that. Though probably if he did that he could make ND into the next Pac when Manny is gone?

Sorry just rambling.
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 14 2011, 06:34 PM) *
same thing i was thinking... it goes deeper than that... my guess is they dont want people to see nonito is the better fighter... i could see nonito getting with pac in a p4p mythical matchup... just my opinion... did you watch that video i posted where nonitos wife talks on the subject... she seems very believable..

I didn't watch it all, personally I believe it's because Pac/Koncz wants to get paid though.

Lightsout: It'll only help Arum to put him on the undercard so I think it's not a Arum decision, it's probably a Pac/Koncz decision. I think that anyway. If they're going to boost his career they want Pac/Koncz getting paid off of it.
Hops
I think it's the "bitch wife" Rachel that has problems with Team Pacquiao. And of course, the "bitch wife", I'm 100% sure, also has problems with Donaire's family. That's the way with bitches. Donaire should pray that he wins against Montiel or else his "bitch wife" will be the first to leave him.

And oh, the "bitch wife" almost looked like an angel in that interview. She seemed so believable. Unless you guys have built-in bitch detectors.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 14 2011, 10:17 PM) *

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 15 2011, 02:00 AM) *
Well that is my point. He is not near as promoted or seen as Pac, so if he is on an undercard as another Pinoy with all the Pacmaniacs watching, many would realize Pac is not the only great Filipino superstar. And then Nonito would get even more famous and maybe take some of the spot light off Pac. And I am sure Arum does not want that. Though probably if he did that he could make ND into the next Pac when Manny is gone?

Sorry just rambling.

This is how I see the situation too! Not saying by putting Donaire on the cards will hurt PPV numbers or anything, but attention will be drawn away from Pac. Most importantly with the skills Donaire possess, putting him on the same card would no longer make Pac look p4p. I think skill wise Donaire makes Manny look like a club fighter...really!

Donaire-Montiel thumbsup_anim.gif
Fitz
lol. Nonito Donaire isn't stealing any of Pacquiao's lime light. Even if he does get a bigger fan base, who would really expect that the Filipino's will stop buying Pac cards, because now they now know who Nonito is.
Not only that, why so insecure? People get even more drawn to exciting fighters. Donaire wouldn't even touch Manny in the entertainment factor, haha. Not that Nonito is boring or anything, but he still isn't as exciting as Manny.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 15 2011, 07:05 AM) *
lol. Nonito Donaire isn't stealing any of Pacquiao's lime light. Even if he does get a bigger fan base, who would really expect that the Filipino's will stop buying Pac cards, because now they now know who Nonito is.
Not only that, why so insecure? People get even more drawn to exciting fighters. Donaire wouldn't even touch Manny in the entertainment factor, haha. Not that Nonito is boring or anything, but he still isn't as exciting as Manny.

Fitz hating on Donaire...

hmmmm...... dntknw.gif
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 14 2011, 06:05 PM) *
I didn't watch it all, personally I believe it's because Pac/Koncz wants to get paid though.

Lightsout: It'll only help Arum to put him on the undercard so I think it's not a Arum decision, it's probably a Pac/Koncz decision. I think that anyway. If they're going to boost his career they want Pac/Koncz getting paid off of it.

I think you nailed it pretty solid, gt.

QUOTE (Hops @ Jan 14 2011, 06:15 PM) *
I think it's the "bitch wife" Rachel that has problems with Team Pacquiao. And of course, the "bitch wife", I'm 100% sure, also has problems with Donaire's family. That's the way with bitches. Donaire should pray that he wins against Montiel or else his "bitch wife" will be the first to leave him.

And oh, the "bitch wife" almost looked like an angel in that interview. She seemed so believable. Unless you guys have built-in bitch detectors.

She probably carries a butterfly knife in her hair and a Barreta in her purse. Filipino chics are not to be messed with lightly, or you will wake up to them putting your nuts in their purse, literally.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 15 2011, 10:05 AM) *
I think you nailed it pretty solid, gt.

She probably carries a butterfly knife in her hair and a Barreta in her purse. Filipino chics are not to be messed with lightly, or you will wake up to them putting your nuts in their purse, literally.

she said it in the interview i posted.... they want nonito fighting under pacmans promotions for him to be seen on the undercards... thats it in a nutshell... now my thing is nonito is not an undercard fighter anymore.. he beats montiel like i expect him to the guys a headliner or at least a co headliner with the likes of pac... he is a legit p4pder at this point and like some have referenced actually the better skilled fighter... you would think pac would have philipino pride enough to say ya know what i only have a few more fights left, im protected enough to know they should be easy ones... let me help get my philipino brother out there known to the masses, and just maybe he'll fight for me later.. lol... pac is just as money hungry as mayweather... just not vocal about it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.