Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins wants to fight Pascal, Dawson and Bute
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
He says he wants these fights, and then retirement.

By Lem Satterfield

Former undisputed middleweight champion, Bernard Hopkins, said that he would like to close out his career with a return bout against WBC light heavyweight Jean Pascal, a subsequent fight with southpaw ex-WBC interim light heavyweight titlist Chad Dawson, and a match up opposite southpaw IBF super middleweight belt-holder Lucian Bute.

"The series of fights that I would choose to end my career and that would enable me to walk off into the sunset, they would be Pascal first, Chad Dawson, and then, Lucian Bute," said Hopkins, who turns 46 on Jan. 15. "I mean, gimme Pascal, Dawson, Bute, and I'm gone."

The 28-year-old Dawson (29-1, 17 knockouts) is coming off of August's, HBO televised, 11th-round technical decision loss to the 28-year-old Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KOs), who battled Hopkins to last month's Showtime televised, disputed draw. The 30-year-old Bute (27-0, 22 KOs) is coming off of his fourth-straight stoppage win over Jesse Brinkley in the in the ninth round in October.

Hopkins has promised to retire in the past, but says wins over Pascal, Dawson and Bute, however, would be satisfying enough to call it a career.

"Fighting those three guys will satisfy a lot of things for me. No. 1, I would be the oldest guy to win a major, recognizable, world title against a respected opponent, and what better way to win it than by defeating the WBC champion, which is a belt that I think is one of the oldest title belts in boxing," said Hopkins.
SmartyBeardo
If he could pull that off it would be an unparalleled achievement in the history of boxing.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Dawson would be the toughest of those fights for Hopkins style wise...

I think he beats Pascal in the rematch without question.

I assume Bute would have to bump to 175 to face Hopkins...

ViperSniper
I find it pretty hard to believe Hopkins could go through all these fights without a loss, it's a big ask. A victory over just one of those fighters would be a pretty impressive victory!
thehype
LOL.

It's always nice to see Bernard playing the role of a politician.

laugh.gif

Believe me, if he gets Pascal next, he ain't fighting Dawson...he's just being polite in hopes of securing the Pascal fight before Dawson does. It's the old "oh sure, I'll fight Dawson if I can get Pascal first" trick.

laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 16 2011, 05:13 PM) *
LOL.

laugh.gif

Believe me, if he gets Pascal next, he ain't fighting Dawson...he's just being polite in hopes of securing the Pascal fight before Dawson does. It's the old "oh sure, I'll fight Dawson if I can get Pascal first" trick.

laugh.gif

Haha. That doesn't sound too far fetched, lol.
D-MARV
LOL... I would love to see Hopkins fight those three. I doubt Hopkins goes near Dawson though... I don't think Hopkins wants another loss before he retires. Pascal and Bute are both winnable fights in my opinion.
neophyte7
Dawson showed some real mental frailty his last bout ...
Method
QUOTE (thehype @ Jan 16 2011, 01:13 AM) *
LOL.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

'greed.

...though I think it has EVERYTHING to do w the lack of money in that fight, and nothing more.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Method @ Jan 18 2011, 05:31 PM) *
'greed.

...though I think it has EVERYTHING to do w the lack of money in that fight, and nothing more.

Cant disagree with that. What does BHop have to fear from Dawson? He jus showed he can hang with a younger, athletic champion. Bhops specialty seems to be breaking people down, from what i'v seen, Hop would be halfway to acheiving that before that fight even started. Dawson is part-bitch already
neophyte7
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Jan 18 2011, 09:50 AM) *
I'd say so. You mean like walking his kid to the ring like they were on their way to school? Wife's got them nutz all wrapped up nice and tight and stored in her jewelry drawer.

Yeap.. pussy whipped fighter.. acted like a straight emotional bitch in his last bout... on mental strength alone Hops is a threat... I agree with the above.. Dawson is part bicth for sure
KookedKrack
Fucking Bhop never ceases to amaze me....I would pick him in each of those fights.
neophyte7
His life and career is movie script material for sure...
gravytrain
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jan 22 2011, 09:15 PM) *
His life and career is movie script material for sure...

I can see it now; Soapy: The Booty Warrior

kidding aside it'd be a great movie
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 22 2011, 09:21 PM) *
I can see it now; Soapy: The Booty Warrior

kidding aside it'd be a great movie

laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.