Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it the end for Guzman?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/joan-guzma...drug-test-72468

Unbeaten junior welterweight Joan Guzman is facing a likely fine and/or suspension from the Nevada State Athletic Commission after testing positive for the banned diuretic Furosemide following his December bout against Jason Davis.

Guzman has previously won world title fights at 122 lbs and 130 lbs, but his recent battles with the scale have repeatedly damaged his career. In September 2008, Guzmanís world title challenge against unified lightweight champion Nate Campbell was cancelled after Guzman came in 3.5 lbs heavy. In March 2010, Guzman was an astonishing 9 lbs heavy for another lightweight title fight against Ali Funeka. Then after moving to jr welterweight in December 2010, Guzman still came in 4.5 lbs heavy for the above bout against Davis.

The NSAC previously suspended Funeka for nine months after he tested positive for Furosemide, so Guzman will likely be out of the ring for most, if not all, of 2011.

What's wrong with the guy? He had the tools, and he could have been much better. But why does he struggle to make weight all the time? Bad work ethic? He has done it in the past, and the most disgusting was him coming 9lbs over weight, for a title fight against Funeka. That was utter disgusting.
I was a fan of Guzman in the ring, he looked decent and fun to watch, but is he working hard enough? Does he really want to fight? I have had enough of this guy now, not a fan at all.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 16 2011, 09:03 PM) *

What's wrong with the guy? He had the tools, and he could have been much better. But why does he struggle to make weight all the time? Bad work ethic? He has done it in the past, and the most disgusting was him coming 9lbs over weight, for a title fight against Funeka. That was utter disgusting.
I was a fan of Guzman in the ring, he looked decent and fun to watch, but is he working hard enough? Does he really want to fight? I have had enough of this guy now, not a fan at all.

What a waste of talent, he was blindingly fast. i think he would have given Pac a lot of trouble at 130 when he was training with Mayweather Sr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNXDe00MXMo
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 17 2011, 02:03 AM) *

What a massive let down. This isn't a case of a fighter unable to physically make weight..but is just straight up lazy, with no dedication who doesn't want it enough..nor does he deserve it. It's bad enough to come in overweight that early in your career but 3 times, being 9lbs over, on one of those occasions is seriously fucked. Now he is failing drug tests? This is disgusting and inexcusable for any fighter..especially such a young fighter like Guzman who had the opportunities he had infront of him. Guzman showed soo much potential and skills which is why it's such a damn let down as enjoyed watching him.

Same thing with Funeka failing drug tests?? I was unaware of this as I'm also very let down as I was a fan of Funeka.

thumbsdown_anim.gif

Fuck Guzman..I have no interest in seeing this ungrateful punk step onto the scales again. He can fight on the streets instead of fighting on the big stage.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 17 2011, 02:22 AM) *
Guzman isn't young anymore. I think he is like 34........but that still isn't a good enough reason, he is still a lazy prick.

I didn't realize he is that old. Maybe I assumed he was young because it felt his career never quite took off like it should have. Either way the guy was in a pretty good spot in boxing and clearly fucked up several opportunities.
SmartyBeardo
Contrast Guzman, a guy with ridiculous natural talent, versus Humberto Soto (who lost to Guzman), a fighter who has maximized his talents with hard work and a professional warrior's heart.

To answer the question; hopefully it is the end for Guzman.
Lil-lightsout
Years ago I was really high on Guzman, always thought he would beat Pac. It is damn hard to be a fan anymore of his with his total lack of commitment to this sport.

I hope he somehow can find his desire again, but realistically it is most likely over for him pretty soon.
EAlbian
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 16 2011, 11:15 PM) *
Years ago I was really high on Guzman, always thought he would beat Pac. It is damn hard to be a fan anymore of his with his total lack of commitment to this sport.

I hope he somehow can find his desire again, but realistically it is most likely over for him pretty soon.

I think it's safe to say his career is over on an elite level, was he ever even on the elite level? His last good performance was in 07 against Soto and looked like he lost something from the Barrios fight. I mean this guy was legit gifted, go back and watch his highlights on youtube, and he pissed it away... literally.. he just failed a drug test that should put the nail in his career
STEVENSKI
The guy is a cheat. Every single fight he has been involved in is tarnished.

I mean if we can denigrate a fighters career over unproven allegations then Guzman should be wiped out over being caught cheating. There is a very good reason diuretics are banned.
Imperius3
He tested positive for a diuretic, just like Funeka did in their last bout. Boxers usually use diuretics to help them drain and make weight.

These fighters need to stop the draining bullshit. Fight at your proper weight class for fucks sake. It's not that hard, Guzman. If you should be a welterweight, then fight as a welter. Simple as that.
JLUVBABY
the biggest insult is that he never allowed his full talentto be seen... not the fact that he got busted for a diaretic... that pales in comparison when you set and think about how good he really could have been...
BigG
Man thats a fuckin a shame cuz he could have possibly been a great.....I believe he wouldve given Pac hell when they were both at 130...he had all the tools...speed, skill, defense...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.