Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Contrasts in rematches.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
ViperSniper
Martinez-Williams I & II
Arce-Hussein I & II
Ponce de Leon-Kokietgym I & II

Which other rematches were nothing like the first fight?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jan 17 2011, 12:13 AM) *
Martinez-Williams I & II
Arce-Hussein I & II
Ponce de Leon-Kokietgym I & II

Which other rematches were nothing like the first fight?

chavez vs taylor 1 and 2... taylor was dominant till the knockout... in the rematch he got beat up and destroyed...
Romulus9
Leonard-Duran I & II
Marciano-Walcott I & II
Holmes-Weaver I & II (LOL!)
Duran-Pazienza I & II
Duran-Camacho I & II
Holyfield-Qawi I & II
Witherspoon-(Bonecrusher) Smith I & II
Tyson-Mitch Green I & II
Holmes-Berbick I & II
Barrera-Jones I & II
Brewster-Klitschko I & II
Jones-Hopkins I & II (listing it sickens me... what a horrible fight)
Jones-Tarver I, II, and III -- all three fights were different
Pacquiao-Morales I & II vs. III
Williams-Quintana I & II

There are plenty.

Lil-lightsout
Leonard-Duran (slugger to the boxer)or(tough guy to the quitter)
Nelson-Fenech (the old man shocked us all with his rematch win)
Lewis-Rahman (undertrained and KTFO to prepared and KHRTFO)
Lewis-McCall (KO'd to getting the KO) or (crying tears for winning to tears from a mental breakdown)
Holyfield-Stewart (a war to a really boring fight)
Taylor-Chavez (amazing fight to a sad fight)
S. Brown-Norris (Norris dominates rematch after getting KO'd real ugly in 1st fight)
Romulus9
Forgot about Nelson-Fenech. Very true.

Lewis-Rahman I was a shocker. Lewis-Rahman II is one of the most brutal one-shot KOs I've ever seen. It makes for a great GIF (almost as good as Maskaev knocking Rahman into Lampley's lap).

Lewis-McCall II ... sadness to a level once thought unreachable.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 17 2011, 01:28 AM) *
Leonard-Duran I & II
Marciano-Walcott I & II
Holmes-Weaver I & II (LOL!)
Duran-Pazienza I & II
Duran-Camacho I & II
Holyfield-Qawi I & II
Witherspoon-(Bonecrusher) Smith I & II
Tyson-Mitch Green I & II
Holmes-Berbick I & II
Barrera-Jones I & II
Brewster-Klitschko I & II
Jones-Hopkins I & II (listing it sickens me... what a horrible fight)
Jones-Tarver I, II, and III -- all three fights were different
Pacquiao-Morales I & II vs. III
Williams-Quintana I & II

There are plenty.

Were you trying to be funny?? LOL!
Romulus9
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 17 2011, 01:38 AM) *
Were you trying to be funny?? LOL!

WHAT? The first fight was boring! The second one ended after one punch... and some remarks in front of a camera.

I liked the second Holmes-Berbick fight better anyway. Dropkicks off of a car always add something to a fight.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 17 2011, 01:34 AM) *
Forgot about Nelson-Fenech. Very true.

Lewis-Rahman I was a shocker. Lewis-Rahman II is one of the most brutal one-shot KOs I've ever seen. It makes for a great GIF (almost as good as Maskaev knocking Rahman into Lampley's lap).

Lewis-McCall II ... sadness to a level once thought unreachable.

Whats sad is that McCall was a very good fighter, when he was right. His KO of Lewis was no fluke. If he was "right," I think he would have beaten Lewis in the second fight. Dude was just riddled with drugs and mental illness. Ever since his destruction of Bruce Seldon, I had watched him...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 17 2011, 01:40 AM) *
WHAT? The first fight was boring! The second one ended after one punch... and some remarks in front of a camera.

I liked the second Holmes-Berbick fight better anyway. Dropkicks off of a car always add something to a fight.

LOL! Missed those first read through.

If that's the case...never mind Donald didn't fare too well in his rematch with Bowe, lol.
Romulus9
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Jan 17 2011, 01:42 AM) *
Whats sad is that McCall was a very good fighter, when he was right. His KO of Lewis was no fluke. If he was "right," I think he would have beaten Lewis in the second fight. Dude was just riddled with drugs and mental illness. Ever since his destruction of Bruce Seldon, I had watched him...

I just watched McCall-Seldon again a few weeks ago. He took Bruce apart that night. Then again... a lot of people took Seldon apart (sometimes with a glancing blow).

McCall beat up some good fighters in his day, and still has one of the top 10 chins in history. Looks like he has a rematch with Oquendo coming up.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Jan 17 2011, 12:47 AM) *
I just watched McCall-Seldon again a few weeks ago. He took Bruce apart that night. Then again... a lot of people took Seldon apart (sometimes with a glancing blow).

McCall beat up some good fighters in his day, and still has one of the top 10 chins in history. Looks like he has a rematch with Oquendo coming up.

oliver beat the hell out of mccall (had to leave that, my drunk ass... lol... meant to say SELDON) that night... lol... he was a good fighter... like dokes he loved that damn nose candy to much... i forget the fight but he lost a million dollar check he had in his sock while out after a fight trying to buy some cocaine... he could have been a whole lot more than what he became...
Romulus9
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 17 2011, 02:11 AM) *
oliver beat the hell out of mccall that night... lol... he was a good fighter... like dokes he loved that damn nose candy to much... i forget the fight but he lost a million dollar check he had in his sock while out after a fight trying to buy some cocaine... he could have been a whole lot more than what he became...

When it comes to wasted talent in the heavyweight division the late 70s and early 80s are full of examples. Dokes, John Tate, Greg Page, Tony Tubbs.

A good list of "What if...?" fighters.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 17 2011, 02:11 AM) *
oliver beat the hell out of mccall that night... lol... he was a good fighter... like dokes he loved that damn nose candy to much... i forget the fight but he lost a million dollar check he had in his sock while out after a fight trying to buy some cocaine... he could have been a whole lot more than what he became...

LOL! I know...honest mistake. Still cracked me up.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 17 2011, 01:18 AM) *

lol.. man im sittin here sippin makers mark and drinkin a beer... lol... let me go fix that... lol..
BrutalBodyShots
I think fights that don't contain 1 punch KO's (especially if they are upsets and in many cases HUGE upsets) are more meaningful when discussing this topic.

Like to me, of course Lewis getting 1 punch upset losses to McCall and Rahman are going to yield a different result in the rematch.

I think looking a contrasting rematch like Morales clearly outgunning Pacquiao in their first meeting, but then getting beaten down in the rematch less than a year later is much more compelling.

Or Gatti losing a close decision in a war to Ward I, then in the rematch he boxes much better and wins a lopsided decision.

In examples like those, you see that 1 fighter makes the necessary adjustments resulting in a very different outcome... not just a 1 punch upset KO or fluke type situation.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 17 2011, 08:29 PM) *
I see what you are saying, but something like Williams-Martinez is a good example. Williams has showed how good his chin is in the past, in the first fight, he stood up and took Matinez's shots. In the rematch he gets knocked out cold in the rematch. To me this is slightly different to Rahman-Lewis, because it was a total shock, and nothing like the first fight. Especially getting knocked out cold in the second.

Fitz, I kind of like examples with a KO in a rematch like Williams-Martinez... I just don't like the upset KO in the original being "avenged" by what SHOULD have happened originally in the rematch smile.gif

Lil-lightsout
All I know is the topic title states contrasts in rematches, and Lewis-Rahman fits that category perfectly(upset or not). I do understand what BBS is saying, I was just going off what the topic starter asked for. But then again who is to say it was an upset in the first place, lol?

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 17 2011, 02:18 AM) *

I'm not sure if it was a mistake. I think Oliver really did beat the hell out of McCall. Lennox's punches were no match for Oliver's tears.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 17 2011, 09:50 PM) *
I'm not sure if it was a mistake. I think Oliver really did beat the hell out of McCall. Lennox's punches were no match for Oliver's tears.

lol... man it was a mistake... lol... but i had to leave that one up... lol...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 18 2011, 12:56 AM) *
lol... man it was a mistake... lol... but i had to leave that one up... lol...

Yeah but it seemed like one of those good mistakes. Like it had some really deep meaning. Like "the only man that could beat him was himself", LOL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.