Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto -VS- Mayorga
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
BrutalBodyShots
How can anyone say Mayorga's chance against Cotto is on par with Margarito's chance against Pac?

Cotto isn't anywhere in the league of Pac. If you think so, just watch their fight. Debate over.

Margarito and Mayorga would probably put up a good scrap with each other... but anyway...

Mayorga has proven the ability to go rounds, even in his losses to Trinidad, DLH, Mosley. He might not beat top guys, but he hangs in there with them and gives it his all. This fight would show if Cotto's name belongs aside the others that have beaten Mayorga. It SHOULD given his resume and ability. HOWEVER, after taking some huge beatings and tough fights lately, does Cotto have the resiliency to stand in there with Mayorga long enough to get the W? If he's a top fighter, he will. If not, Mayorga will outlast him and prove he's no longer an A level guy.

AussieLad
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 23 2011, 02:57 AM) *
Cotto is hardly a Pacquiao.

Yeah but the current version of mayo is hardly a margarito either.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 24 2011, 01:43 AM) *
Well he did much better against Mosley than Margarito did. I personally felt Mayorga had that fight won if he stayed on his feet in the 12th.

So do I.
AussieLad
ffs

Mayo is 4-4 in his last 8 fights. His last meaningful opponent was against mosely in 2008, and he got fucking starched. Then he fights some bum who hade lost 4 fights in a row and still took 9 rounds to tko him

Keep living in the fantasy world fellas. I like mayorga, he's funny as hell. But he is shot and getting a beating vs cotto
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jan 24 2011, 01:54 AM) *
ffs

Mayo is 4-4 in his last 8 fights. His last meaningful opponent was against mosely in 2008, and he got fucking starched. Then he fights some bum who hade lost 4 fights in a row and still took 9 rounds to tko him

Keep living in the fantasy world fellas. I like mayorga, he's funny as hell. But he is shot and getting a beating vs cotto

Cotto looked worried about engaging with Foreman, this is a fight Mayorga will train for. Believe me seeing how much bigger he is than Cotto will embolden him. Plus Cotto is not a guy who fights mistake-free. He is a dude that will make several mistakes throughout a fight. I don't care that he is with Steward. Too late, he will revert just like Hatton did under Floyd's tutelage.

The question many of us are asking is does his chin have anything left to take one of those mistakes and keep truckin?
AussieLad
Mayo would have lost to foreman badly. He is done, he's not landing anything meaningful
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jan 24 2011, 02:05 AM) *
Mayo would have lost to foreman badly. He is done, he's not landing anything meaningful

I kind've agree, those slick boxer sorts give Ricardo fits. Cotto is not one of those slick boxer sorts. I'm sure we've both been watching boxing long enough to know fighter A beats B beats C doesn't always work out that way.

Bear in mind I'm not saying I expect Mayo to win, I just give him a chance, which is more based on Cotto's dimishing abilities.

You give Mayo no chance. Fair enough, but I don't see how giving Mayo a chance in this fight is that far fetched.
AussieLad
Of course styles make fights. I only made mention that foreman beats mayo because you brought up cotto looking tentative when they fought. Cotto looked tentative and still won, mayo would have looked foolish and lost by a landslide.

I can understand peoples interest in the match. Mayorga is a blast from the past, and i would love it if his trash talking ass some how made a genuine resurgence on the world stage. It was classic him eating that chicken drumstick at one of his weigh ins. I wish him luck, but i dont see it happening. He's probably been chain smoking the last 2 years and not training. He's gonna gas in 3 rounds

However, in terms of match making, right now this is a garbage fight. Cotto hasnt looked great in a while, and this fight is designed to make him look good. Put him in against a no skill, inactive, chain smoking slugger with a good chin. Let cotto beat the snot out of him for 6 or 7 rounds, then put him away. This is a cherry picked fight, and i think cotto needs a couple of confidence builders

Lil-lightsout
This is a fight where we want to see if Cotto still has it, and if Mayorga has anything left to offer.

I personally think if Mayorga trains properly and comes in good fighting shape, he has a legit shot of hitting and hurting Cotto. Sure Cotto has got some better boxing skills and should win, but I would not entirely dismiss Mayorga due to his toughness and punch. Mayorga has surely watched AM and Pac give Cotto those two beatings, he knows he can hurt him and get him out of there if he is ready.

That said, I believe Cotto will be very prepared also and Steward will have him ready. I think Cotto will fight a smart fight and outbox Mayorga and possibly stop him late, probably from bodyshots.

Regardless of the outcome, we should get an entertaining scrap as long as it lasts.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Jan 24 2011, 03:17 AM) *
Of course styles make fights. I only made mention that foreman beats mayo because you brought up cotto looking tentative when they fought. Cotto looked tentative and still won, mayo would have looked foolish and lost by a landslide.

Let em elucidate on tentative. By that I mean a bit punchy. I really didn't think Cotto looked strong at all against Foreman and that dude is feather fisted. I think Cotto's legs have gone but I guess we shall soon see.
AussieLad
If mayorga had been active, i would agree that he has a chance. But the long layoff means BEAT DOWN BABY
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 24 2011, 04:40 AM) *
Mayorga hits harder than Pacquiao and Margarito IMO.

I tend to think that Mayorga hits harder than anyone Cotto's ever faced.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 24 2011, 08:24 AM) *
I tend to think that Mayorga hits harder than anyone Cotto's ever faced.

I agree, and with Cotto taking those beatings in recent years he's going to feel those thudding shots from Mayorga.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Jan 24 2011, 06:37 PM) *
I agree, and with Cotto taking those beatings in recent years he's going to feel those thudding shots from Mayorga.

this is what im thinking as well... that and if cotto allows mayorga to find any kind of rhythm in the fight it will be a long night win or lose for the guy... im just shocked so many people think this is a walk in the park for cotto.. i just dont see it...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 24 2011, 08:05 PM) *
this is what im thinking as well... that and if cotto allows mayorga to find any kind of rhythm in the fight it will be a long night win or lose for the guy... im just shocked so many people think this is a walk in the park for cotto.. i just dont see it...

Me too. Unless you have the one punch power to stop Mayo in his tracks he is a long nights work for anyone. Funny I've seen him stopped in his tracks by Oscar and Tito and KO'ed in the very last second of his fight with Shane but I've never really seen him comprehensively outboxed over 12 rounds (and please nobody mention Spinks, Mayorga won that fight).

Fact is if you want to beat Mayorga you have to stop him. Does Cotto carry that kind of power at 154? I'm not sure. And in order to KO Mayorga he will have to step into the kill zone which means he gets a shot in return., whith a power Cotto hasn't tasted before.

These are reasons I like Mayorga as a live underdog.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 24 2011, 07:24 PM) *
Me too. Unless you have the one punch power to stop Mayo in his tracks he is a long nights work for anyone. Funny I've seen him stopped in his tracks by Oscar and Tito and KO'ed in the very last second of his fight with Shane but I've never really seen him comprehensively outboxed over 12 rounds (and please nobody mention Spinks, Mayorga won that fight).

Fact is if you want to beat Mayorga you have to stop him. Does Cotto carry that kind of power at 154? I'm not sure. And in order to KO Mayorga he will have to step into the kill zone which means he gets a shot in return., whith a power Cotto hasn't tasted before.

These are reasons I like Mayorga as a live underdog.

he's a very live dog... cotto is very much damaged goods and mayorga has nothing to lose in the fight... im sure he's gonna to knock cottos block off.. then add to that mayorga is naturally a bigger fighter... i thinking trouble for cotto again win or lose...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 24 2011, 08:05 PM) *

it depends on how you think about it. if you think about it in the business sense you think Arum doesn't want to risk someone that can still sell out an arena in NY, generate interest in a fight, and can either take on Margarito or Pac in the future. What does Arum get out of Mayorga winning? Jack shit. If anything I think King and Mayorga are just getting some money out of this. Are you guys going to risk a guy that can put asses in the seats of any NY venue and still has a fan base for nothing?

Match up wise I think Mayorga is gonna have some real ring rust and Cotto's jab is gonna pay dividends. In about the past 3 years Mayorga has only been floored by Mosley and beat a bum that got stopped his last 2 fights, win or lose Cotto has been in the ring with the best his divisions have had to offer and still has a some left in the tank.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 24 2011, 09:54 PM) *
it depends on how you think about it. if you think about it in the business sense you think Arum doesn't want to risk someone that can still sell out an arena in NY, generate interest in a fight, and can either take on Margarito or Pac in the future. What does Arum get out of Mayorga winning? Jack shit. If anything I think King and Mayorga are just getting some money out of this. Are you guys going to risk a guy that can put asses in the seats of any NY venue and still has a fan base for nothing?

Match up wise I think Mayorga is gonna have some real ring rust and Cotto's jab is gonna pay dividends. In about the past 3 years Mayorga has only been floored by Mosley and beat a bum that got stopped his last 2 fights, win or lose Cotto has been in the ring with the best his divisions have had to offer and still has a some left in the tank.

We've seen Arum risk Cotto before, even to GoldenBoy with the Mosley fight. I'm not sure he didn't want him to lose to Foreman.

The bolded part is what we are debating. I'm not so sure he does have anything left in the tank. With this fight I get the feeling we'll find out.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 24 2011, 09:00 PM) *
We've seen Arum risk Cotto before, even to GoldenBoy with the Mosley fight. I'm not sure he didn't want him to lose to Foreman.

The bolded part is what we are debating. I'm not so sure he does have anything left in the tank. With this fight I get the feeling we'll find out.

I think it's kind of a no-win situation for Cotto here, because regardless of the outcome of the fight he's going to be in yet ANOTHER tough fight. Between Clottey, Mosley, Margarito and Pacquiao the guy was in like 47 tough rounds overall. Even if he gets the W against Mayorga, he's going to leave another small piece of himself in the ring.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 24 2011, 09:00 PM) *

He's far from a prime Cotto but he's the potential to still be one of the rightfully higher ranked fighters in his division, for the time being anyway. I think the real person in question is Mayorga, his last victory is a guy getting his ass kicked by prospects. Personally, I think it's competitive early on then Cotto goes on to win pretty soundly. From what I remember of Mayorga/Walker I'm pretty confident Miguel wins this one with no real issues.

I really doubt Arum gave Foreman a chance, Mosley was a risk but a necessary risk. Cotto still can be used to make some money and that's probably why Arum refused a Martirosyan fight. I don't think he'd do that only to put him in a fight where he really thinks he'll be in some danger. This would actually be a pretty decent fight for Arum to get Cotto for future fights, I'm sure some question if Cotto has something left against someone with a punch and Mayorga be the man Arum wants to use to "show" he can. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's Cotto up for Pac next, it's all about the Benjamins now and Cotto can provide that name.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 24 2011, 10:39 PM) *
He's far from a prime Cotto but he's the potential to still be one of the rightfully higher ranked fighters in his division, for the time being anyway. I think the real person in question is Mayorga, his last victory is a guy getting his ass kicked by prospects. Personally, I think it's competitive early on then Cotto goes on to win pretty soundly. From what I remember of Mayorga/Walker I'm pretty confident Miguel wins this one with no real issues.

I really doubt Arum gave Foreman a chance, Mosley was a risk but a necessary risk. Cotto still can be used to make some money and that's probably why Arum refused a Martirosyan fight. I don't think he'd do that only to put him in a fight where he really thinks he'll be in some danger. This would actually be a pretty decent fight for Arum to get Cotto for future fights, I'm sure some question if Cotto has something left against someone with a punch and Mayorga be the man Arum wants to use to "show" he can. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's Cotto up for Pac next, it's all about the Benjamins now and Cotto can provide that name.

I believe the number of opponents who can't hurt Cotto at 154 are quite sparse.
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 24 2011, 10:39 PM) *
I believe the number of opponents who can't hurt Cotto at 154 are quite sparse.

i believe the number of years he's left in boxing as a somewhat relevant fighter is real fucking limited lol. he's one more bad loss away from needing to hang them up and it's coming in the future whether it be Margarito or Pac.
AussieLad
After watching mayorgas return bout against a bum, i have no doubt cotto is going to put on a beating. Mayo is going to be eating jabs and left hooks all night, and will go down eventually. When he finally stepped it up vs Walker and starts winging power shots in the middle rounds, he fails to really rattle him. Even the stoppage in round 9 was a bit weak. I suppose it depends on the rules they were fighting under, but i would have thought a standing 8 count was more warranted than halting the fight. Its not like the guy was hurt. And all this against a guy that only won a single fight in his last 7 matches, and had been stopped in the 2 previous fights (TKO's in 2nd round and 8th in consecutive matches). If cotto was struggling, at least it was against world class fighters. Mayorga is looking unimpressive vs D class comp

BEAT DOWN BABY laugh.gif

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 24 2011, 07:54 PM) *

ive never said mayorga was going to win... but what i am saying is cotto hasnt looked strong himself... foreman had feather fisted moments in there where if he had a tad bit more pop he would have been abloe to hurt cotto... thats the only reason cotto fought that fight with no fear.. foreman couldnt hurt him... cotto gets hit a good bit... i guess they both do but i know this.. cotto had better hope mayorga doesnt show up like he is capable of for this fight...
The CEO
Wow...you guys actually bettin' on Mayorga must have money to burn...or a gambling problem...lol...I got a little money, but I won't bet a tank of gas on the old brawler's Puncher's Chance.

Cotto may be a BIT worn at this point, but he is clearly the fresher of the two...his technique alone should be enough to carry him to victory in this particular styles clash...I'm thinking the Mosley fight was Mayorga's final good performance...I give 'im a 10% chance.

Don't rub it in too hard when it goes down, Aussie...lol
BigG
I dont even think Mayorga's been the same since moving out of the Welterweight division.....Cotto gonna outbox, punish his body...then stop him sometime in the middle rounds.
ViperSniper
Both fighters have received a lot of damage in their career and are far from there best days and I doubt Mayorga takes a punch as well as he used to. This may come down to he is able to take the better shot at this point of their career as both there chins have been dented and both will find each others target in this fight.
Mayorga has shown to be more effective than Cotto in the later rounds, yet Mayorga has been really inactive and this is really going to hurt him in this match-up. Cotto is the more active fighter so he should be in better condition but if he finds he is unable to hurt the bigger Mayorga this will get nasty for him in a hurry. Mayorga's style is wrong for Cotto, but I think him being the fresher & smarter fighter should be enough to squeeze a victory over Mayorga's in-activeness & wear n tear.

A precise puncher against a wild puncher should make for some serious leather!!!

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jan 25 2011, 08:41 PM) *
Both fighters have received a lot of damage in their career and are far from there best days and I doubt Mayorga takes a punch as well as he used to. This may come down to he is able to take the better shot at this point of their career as both there chins have been dented and both will find each others target in this fight.
Mayorga has shown to be more effective than Cotto in the later rounds, yet Mayorga has been really inactive and this is really going to hurt him in this match-up. Cotto is the more active fighter so he should be in better condition but if he finds he is unable to hurt the bigger Mayorga this will get nasty for him in a hurry. Mayorga's style is wrong for Cotto, but I think him being the fresher & smarter fighter should be enough to squeeze a victory over Mayorga's in-activeness & wear n tear.

A precise puncher against a wild puncher should make for some serious leather!!!

great thoughts viper...
AussieLad
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 25 2011, 03:58 PM) *
Don't rub it in too hard when it goes down, Aussie...lol

No way, i am gonna go to town... rap.gif
TheFonz
Cotto is going to "look" like the beast of old and all the guy giving Mayo shot are going to say that Mayo had no business in the ring with him. Arum is going to use the fight to set up Cotto-Marg 2, in which Cotto will get fucked up again.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Jan 27 2011, 08:57 AM) *
Cotto is going to "look" like the beast of old and all the guy giving Mayo shot are going to say that Mayo had no business in the ring with him. Arum is going to use the fight to set up Cotto-Marg 2, in which Cotto will get fucked up again.

theres a big difference in giving a fighter a real chance and picking him to win.. you think this is gonna be a walk in the park for cotto?... cotto has seen way better days... its fact that he's not responding to punches like he used to so if mayorga gets to touching him... yes he has a shot in the fight at that point... cotto still does some things good but his chin has been dented and he shows it now...
TheFonz
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 27 2011, 12:36 PM) *
theres a big difference in giving a fighter a real chance and picking him to win.. you think this is gonna be a walk in the park for cotto?... cotto has seen way better days... its fact that he's not responding to punches like he used to so if mayorga gets to touching him... yes he has a shot in the fight at that point... cotto still does some things good but his chin has been dented and he shows it now...

It will be a walk in the park regardless of how much punishment Cotto has taken the last few years. By the time Mayo shakes off the ring rust Cotto will have already accumulated 2-3 rounds of bodywork. Mayo's timing is going to be fucked from the on set and Cotto will be punishing the whole time.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Jan 27 2011, 11:52 AM) *
It will be a walk in the park regardless of how much punishment Cotto has taken the last few years. By the time Mayo shakes off the ring rust Cotto will have already accumulated 2-3 rounds of bodywork. Mayo's timing is going to be fucked from the on set and Cotto will be punishing the whole time.

ring rust wont surprise me from mayorga at all... but then again he has the kind of style that rust shouldnt be much of a factor... he is a wild free swinging brawler that has under rated boxing skill but his bread and butter is his free swinging style... cotto is expected to win the fight and im not sure anybody is picking mayorga but mayorga has the kind of punch that can change this fight real quick... specially the way cotto has looked lately... he's not taking punches very well anymore... but thats why this fight will be so fun... cuzz they both can win.... cotto SHOULD win.. but he is not a given cuzz mayorga brings intangibles to the fight that can turn a supposed easy fight into life and death very quick... honestly, and this is just my opinion, cotto looks like a fighter that really needs to hang em up... the way he takes punches dont look right to me... just my opinion.... he MAY beat mayorga and he is supposed to but possible fights vs margarito and Lord forbid pac again are very dangerous fights for him... possible career enders..
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 27 2011, 01:04 PM) *
ring rust wont surprise me from mayorga at all... but then again he has the kind of style that rust shouldnt be much of a factor... he is a wild free swinging brawler that has under rated boxing skill but his bread and butter is his free swinging style... cotto is expected to win the fight and im not sure anybody is picking mayorga but mayorga has the kind of punch that can change this fight real quick... specially the way cotto has looked lately... he's not taking punches very well anymore... but thats why this fight will be so fun... cuzz they both can win.... cotto SHOULD win.. but he is not a given cuzz mayorga brings intangibles to the fight that can turn a supposed easy fight into life and death very quick... honestly, and this is just my opinion, cotto looks like a fighter that really needs to hang em up... the way he takes punches dont look right to me... just my opinion.... he MAY beat mayorga and he is supposed to but possible fights vs margarito and Lord forbid pac again are very dangerous fights for him... possible career enders..

i don't think his promoter really gives a shit about that, it was Margarito and Cotto on the table for Pac when Pac fought Marg. Arum would gladly cash him out to give the Pacmaniacs something to cheer about. i think this fight is just to legitimize Cotto fighting Pac or Margarito again in the future, he needs to do something to show Cotto can handle a punch still and can do more than go corner to corner. If it's not Marg or Pac it'll be someone else, his time as an elite fighter is coming to an end. I'd be very surprised if he lasts past age 33 in this sport and honestly I see him retiring after his next fight since it's either Marg or Pac. Arum isn't going to get paid to have him get his ass kicked by some up and comer at 154 either so it'll definitely be Pac or Marg.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.