Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holyfield...anyone see it?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
blackbelt2003
Anyone see the Holyfield-Williams fight?

Old Evander looked OK in the first round. He can still move, jab and posture like a guy in his twenties. In the 2nd he got cut and in the 3rd Williams started landing some big rights as Holyfield began to look disorganised.

The cut curtailed the fight, which was a NC, just as it started to get interesting.

I just don't think a 48 yr old Holyfield can deal with punches coming back his way any more. He looks great for his age, still moves around the ring like he used to and he threw a couple of combinations which looked vintage Holyfield in the first two rounds, but he doesn't have that 'sturdiness' any more.

If a fringe guy like Sherman Williams is rocking you around with right hands, it's time to reassess. HAving said that, it's possible that the cut meant he couldn't see the shots coming.

What does anyone else think?

Black
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jan 23 2011, 05:20 AM) *
Anyone see the Holyfield-Williams fight?

Old Evander looked OK in the first round. He can still move, jab and posture like a guy in his twenties. In the 2nd he got cut and in the 3rd Williams started landing some big rights as Holyfield began to look disorganised.

The cut curtailed the fight, which was a NC, just as it started to get interesting.

I just don't think a 48 yr old Holyfield can deal with punches coming back his way any more. He looks great for his age, still moves around the ring like he used to and he threw a couple of combinations which looked vintage Holyfield in the first two rounds, but he doesn't have that 'sturdiness' any more.

If a fringe guy like Sherman Williams is rocking you around with right hands, it's time to reassess. HAving said that, it's possible that the cut meant he couldn't see the shots coming.

What does anyone else think?

Black

I didn't see the fight, but here is my take overall. The biggest problem with Evander is he is a warrior. The guy has fine boxing skills and great ring smarts but far too often he can be lured into a brawl which is about the worst style of fighting you can have as a 48 year old man.

If he was prepared to just box I can see him still giving most HW's that aren't Klit some problems, which is a testament to his greatness, however that really isn't his style and soon he will get seriously hurt.
ViperSniper
Holyfield is in terrific shape for his age and can still move around good for a 48 year old, but when it comes to 'fighting' at this point in time he looks old n vulnerable as he did against Williams today. Evander wasn't doing horrible for a 48 year old but he wasn't doing enough to win rounds as I gave Williams all 3 as he would land the heavier shots.

The cut was due to a headbutt that was accidental but at the time was never ruled a headbutt until after the fight was over. I don't think the cut was bad enough to stop, nor do I think it was the reason he was getting tagged by Williams as he was getting tagged in the opening round. As sad as it may seem I just don't think Holyfield wanted it enough.

Side note: Once again at 48 years old Holyfield is in such fantastic shape for his age..it's ridiculous! Arreola and all the other young Heavyweights are fuckin disgusting & embarrassing the shape they fight in.
Maxy
Still in terrific shape, yeah, but this man is totally finished and I'm sorry to say it but he has no business fighting at all anymore. The cut wasn't severe enough to warrant stopping the fight and Evander just seemed to lack the will to carry on......something you'd never usually say about the great man.

He's had a fantastic career but for the sake of his own health it's time to admit to himself that he really can't compete anymore.
ViperSniper
Nope..shouldn't be fighting..specially for a world title.
SmartyBeardo
He was about to be owned by a can of paint. At least he had the good sense not to go into the deep water. The Bastard Maker has a fork sticking out of his ass.

Dude has more seed walking around than Ghengis Khan. Enjoy it before you fall off the horse.
D-MARV
I'm just waiting for all the "Quitting" remarks that Nate Campbell caught in his fight with Bradley...

I hope this means that people will stop throwing Holyfield's name in with the Klitschko's.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jan 23 2011, 09:20 AM) *
I'm just waiting for all the "Quitting" remarks that Nate Campbell caught in his fight with Bradley...

I hope this means that people will stop throwing Holyfield's name in with the Klitschko's.

d marv in my opinion he did borderline quit... i mean if you listened to him in between rounds he really didnt want to go back out after round 3... i think they gave him a pass due to his past legacy and his name... but im not sure the doc deemed him unable to continue.. holyfield deemed himself unable to continue, which unintentional headbutt or not should have deemed it a tko loss if the doc felt the cut wasnt bad enough to stop the fight... i got mixed up as to what really happened there... his corner man was trying to get him to go back out for the 4th round i do know that much...
Big Slim Sweet
I just saw the clips on sportscenter (how pathetic that this fight gets air time while Bradley-Alexander next week probably won't even be mentioned on the ticker). The cut was in a bad place but didn't seem like anything that should have caused him to not be able to continue. Can you imagine Evander Holyfield saying he couldn't continue due to that type of cut in a fight 10-15-20 years ago? This is a man that wanted to keep fighting with half his ear on the canvas for fuck sake.

The Warrior is unquestionably done. Didn't we know that 7 years ago though?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Jan 23 2011, 11:02 AM) *
I just saw the clips on sportscenter (how pathetic that this fight gets air time while Bradley-Alexander next week probably won't even be mentioned on the ticker). The cut was in a bad place but didn't seem like anything that should have caused him to not be able to continue. Can you imagine Evander Holyfield saying he couldn't continue due to that type of cut in a fight 10-15-20 years ago? This is a man that wanted to keep fighting with half his ear on the canvas for fuck sake.

The Warrior is unquestionably done. Didn't we know that 7 years ago though?

i watched the fight on a stream last night and i can tell you for sure holyfield was not going back out for that 4th round regardless of the decision... his corner man was trying to get him to go back out and he just set there... he was done similiar to tyson when he went down from that push from kevin mcbride and just said fuck it and set there... you could almost see it in his eyes during the post fight interview... for the first time he sounded unsure about his future... in my opinion...
Maxy
Yeah Holyfield seemed to take the chance to get out of there and not have the indignity of losing to Williams.
BrutalBodyShots
I remember Williams being a gatekeeper 12 years ago on Tuesday Night Fights on Fox Sports Net. If Holyfield at this stage considered "quitting" against this guy he should hang them up.

If it was a legit cut that prevented Holyfield from being able to see/continue that's one thing... but if not the dude needs to get out of the game.
BGv2.0
Williams was always a hard SOB..the guy has never been stopped...hell I don't think he's ever been decked. and he said he was coming to bring it and I'm sure Holy's people picked him due to the inactivity...but when you have a guy that is that tough and he really does prepare himself...anything can happen.

I myself did not see the fight so I can't say for sure how bad a beating Holy took...I tend to be leary of those talking it up because there is such a HUGE desire for him to exit the game that it seems people might make a moutain of a molehill in the hopes that this is a reason for him to stop fighting.

The official call is a NC due to a cut by an accidental clash of heads....and until you see the fight that's how you have to take it.

If he had blood getting in the way of his vision...it only makes sense that Williams would be able to rock him if can't see the punches coming...

I still say the only reason JT ever looked as if he was hurting Rock was due to that fact.

I'd like to see the fight....as a matter of fact I never saw the last one with Botha.

The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jan 24 2011, 12:33 AM) *
Williams was always a hard SOB..the guy has never been stopped...hell I don't think he's ever been decked. and he said he was coming to bring it and I'm sure Holy's people picked him due to the inactivity...but when you have a guy that is that tough and he really does prepare himself...anything can happen.

I myself did not see the fight so I can't say for sure how bad a beating Holy took...I tend to be leary of those talking it up because there is such a HUGE desire for him to exit the game that it seems people might make a moutain of a molehill in the hopes that this is a reason for him to stop fighting.

The official call is a NC due to a cut by an accidental clash of heads....and until you see the fight that's how you have to take it.

If he had blood getting in the way of his vision...it only makes sense that Williams would be able to rock him if can't see the punches coming...

I still say the only reason JT ever looked as if he was hurting Rock was due to that fact.
I'd like to see the fight....as a matter of fact I never saw the last one with Botha.

Funny you should mention Toney cause Sherman looked a little like Toney in stature in there.

A couple of things.

1. No way Holyfield of old quits with cut. No way.

2. Holyfield was getting hurt with body shots in there last night. And not coming from some monster puncher either.

3. Holyfield didn't take a bad beating but he was on his way to one. Sure maybe he couldn't see the punches coming from the cut but the Holyfield of old would've fired back with something. The Holyfield of old would've fired back with twice as much and turned it into a Pier 6 brawl. The Holyfield last night had nothing.

And why should he? He's 48 for chrissakes!!!!!

He needs to hang them up, but he won't.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 24 2011, 02:17 AM) *
Funny you should mention Toney cause Sherman looked a little like Toney in stature in there.

A couple of things.

1. No way Holyfield of old quits with cut. No way.

2. Holyfield was getting hurt with body shots in there last night. And not coming from some monster puncher either.

3. Holyfield didn't take a bad beating but he was on his way to one. Sure maybe he couldn't see the punches coming from the cut but the Holyfield of old would've fired back with something. The Holyfield of old would've fired back with twice as much and turned it into a Pier 6 brawl. The Holyfield last night had nothing.

And why should he? He's 48 for chrissakes!!!!!

He needs to hang them up, but he won't.

Did you pay for this PPV??? I sure hope not.

It is crazy at his age he comes in better physical condition than most heavies today.

He can still beat most of the heavies today.

What he has used to win most of his fights(head), has caused him a NC last night.

For over 20 years now, he still wants to be the undisputed heavyweight champ.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 24 2011, 04:29 AM) *
Did you pay for this PPV??? I sure hope not.

Nah it's up on YouTube.
neophyte7
Holyfield is a pathetic jesus freak.. someone beat this motherfucker unconscious so we can be rid of his child support owing ass...
Warlord
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Jan 24 2011, 08:23 PM) *
Holyfield is a pathetic jesus freak.. someone beat this motherfucker unconscious so we can be rid of his child support owing ass...

Man, get out of there with that shit. Holyfield is the fucking man, and deserves nothing but respect. If any of you guys had a 14-bedroom house with a fucking bowling alley in the basement you'd be pumping illegitimate kids out left and right.

Or are you one of those cats who pretends like they'd turn down all the mega-pussy that comes with being the heavyweight champion of the world? Please.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Warlord @ Jan 25 2011, 04:42 AM) *
Man, get out of there with that shit. Holyfield is the fucking man, and deserves nothing but respect. If any of you guys had a 14-bedroom house with a fucking bowling alley in the basement you'd be pumping illegitimate kids out left and right.

Or are you one of those cats who pretends like they'd turn down all the mega-pussy that comes with being the heavyweight champion of the world? Please.

If it was me I would've just had a vasectomy and then gone nuts with every broad in town.
Warlord
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 25 2011, 05:10 AM) *
If it was me I would've just had a vasectomy and then gone nuts with every broad in town.

Heck yeah. No need to go on all Shawn Kemp if it ain't necessary.
Jack 1000
Time for Holyfield to retire. I have been saying that for years. But sadly, his ego won't let him. Let's hope this fight was a wake up call, and might have softened his ego, and brought Evander to a reality check. If you are getting rocked by Sherman fucking Williams, you can't fight anymore.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.