Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Juan Manuel Lopez & Rafael Marquez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
ViperSniper
Leading upto the fight I really felt Rafa had a good chance of beating Juanma but many felt the wars had caught up with Rafa..rightfully so. To Marquez credit of being such a great fighter he is was able to wobble Juanma inside the ring during the fight.

After the fight had ended and had time to think about it, I realized that the win was not as good as I originally thought it was going to be due to how Marquez looked inside the ring that night. I understand there was many who already knew this or was expecting it (like myself) but I didn't expect Rafa to look that small and old inside the ring as he did that night.

Now I read they may be having a rematch this year? Sure the fight was entertaining and Marquez had his moments but it wasn't enough for the the younger, bigger Lopez. I think this was Juanma's biggest step up in his career and was a very solid win, but should continue moving forward. I don't think this fight is really relevant for Lopez.

Thought?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 24 2011, 01:41 AM) *
Not interested in seeing the rematch one bit. Lopez looked much bigger, and yes Marquez did have his chances and rocked Lopez, but other than that, he didn't look in the fight. Lopez wins this easier than last time. I think a rematch should just be skipped.

It kind of reminds me of when De La Fishnets chose to fight JCC a second time.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 24 2011, 01:56 AM) *
It kind of reminds me of when De La Fishnets chose to fight JCC a second time.

Difference was Oscar totally kicked the shit out of JCC in their first fight. There should have been no rematch, even if there was the bad cut.

As far as JML and Marquez, I would watch it again, unless Lopez takes a tougher fight.
JLUVBABY
lopez needs to fight gamboa... enough already...
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 24 2011, 05:45 AM) *

Or let Gamboa fight Marquez first.

Everyone who sees Gamboa fight wants to see it again, and yet Gamboa isn't getting any high profile fights. Arum should put him in with Marquez (where he'll get great exposure and experience) and De Leon (great fireworks and high profile) if he's going to bother building him up any more before the Lopez fight.

I'm with you on the idea that these guys need to fight while the fight is hot. But if they are going to wait, for Christsake give Gamboa some real exposure.
Big Slim Sweet
I thought Rafa milked the shoulder injury in their first fight. He knew he was starting to catch a beating.

No need for a rematch.
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 24 2011, 04:45 AM) *

I'm getting pretty damn tired of Arum "building" up the fight too, other than marketing it's not really going to get a higher profile. If anything people including myself are tired of this shit being drawn out, unless it's title fights I don't care.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 24 2011, 08:21 AM) *
Or let Gamboa fight Marquez first.

Everyone who sees Gamboa fight wants to see it again, and yet Gamboa isn't getting any high profile fights. Arum should put him in with Marquez (where he'll get great exposure and experience) and De Leon (great fireworks and high profile) if he's going to bother building him up any more before the Lopez fight.

I'm with you on the idea that these guys need to fight while the fight is hot. But if they are going to wait, for Christsake give Gamboa some real exposure.

why?... gamboa will whipe the floor with him... they been on a collision course for over a year now... its getting old waiting for that fight to get made... ive been feeling this and may as well say it... arum is protecting lopez from gamboa...
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 24 2011, 08:08 PM) *
why?... gamboa will whipe the floor with him... they been on a collision course for over a year now... its getting old waiting for that fight to get made... ive been feeling this and may as well say it... arum is protecting lopez from gamboa...

My first choice of any fight in the sport right now is Lopez-Gamboa and it would be a real tragedy in my little life if one of them lost before they met. That said, it's obviously not going to happen in the next year and so I'd just as soon see Gamboa get built up like Lopez.

I agree with you with Lopez being protected from the guy who has the best chance of beating him at 126. Arum is old school and (probably right) thinks that Lopez has the potential to fill MSG twice a year like Tito/Cotto and that there aren't enough cubans to support a 126 pound fighter no matter how exciting he is. I think Arum is wrong here, but it's at least possible that he's not - just look at Golata's fan base in Chicago.

And I think Gamboa-Lopez is a pickem fight purely because of Gamboa's chin/style. And the more experience Gamboa gets with fading world class fighters like Marquez the better for Gamboa.
kidbazooka1
No need for this Marquez is past it he's still good enough to beat most guys but not the elite like JuanMa.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ Jan 24 2011, 07:59 PM) *
My first choice of any fight in the sport right now is Lopez-Gamboa and it would be a real tragedy in my little life if one of them lost before they met. That said, it's obviously not going to happen in the next year and so I'd just as soon see Gamboa get built up like Lopez.

I agree with you with Lopez being protected from the guy who has the best chance of beating him at 126. Arum is old school and (probably right) thinks that Lopez has the potential to fill MSG twice a year like Tito/Cotto and that there aren't enough cubans to support a 126 pound fighter no matter how exciting he is. I think Arum is wrong here, but it's at least possible that he's not - just look at Golata's fan base in Chicago.

And I think Gamboa-Lopez is a pickem fight purely because of Gamboa's chin/style. And the more experience Gamboa gets with fading world class fighters like Marquez the better for Gamboa.

lopez's chin can be touched and played with too.. lol... it makes his legs do strange thins when tapped...
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 25 2011, 04:14 AM) *
lopez's chin can be touched and played with too.. lol... it makes his legs do strange thins when tapped...

This could easily be an excellent trilogy with three dramatic kos.
The CEO
Marquez' right arm WAS jacked up in this bout...you could tell halfway through the fight that he was unable to use it properly, and it completely threw him off his game...he kept bobbing to load up on the left and became overly predictable...

Not sure Lopez would have beaten Marquez if he was 100% and active with his straight right...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 25 2011, 09:16 AM) *
Marquez' right arm WAS jacked up in this bout...you could tell halfway through the fight that he was unable to use it properly, and it completely threw him off his game...he kept bobbing to load up on the left and became overly predictable...

Not sure Lopez would have beaten Marquez if he was 100% and active with his straight right...

lopez is very beatable ceo which is why arum is keeping him away from gamboa... that and arum is milking these fighters for as much as he can... he cant have too many years left and he's milking these fighters for all he can while he can... cant say i would be any different if i was him but it hurts the fans...
JLUVBABY
just my opinion but if he's not gonna fight gamboa the only other substitute i feel would be exceptable would be a fight with chris john... what are you guys thoughts on that one?
ViperSniper
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 25 2011, 07:21 PM) *
just my opinion but if he's not gonna fight gamboa the only other substitute i feel would be exceptable would be a fight with chris john... what are you guys thoughts on that one?

That could be good. I read a couple weeks ago that Gamboa was willing to face John which would be a great fight for him.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jan 25 2011, 08:53 PM) *
That could be good. I read a couple weeks ago that Gamboa was willing to face John which would be a great fight for him.

well id like to see it happen... tough fight in my opinion but i think gamboa could take him... i can see gamboa gonna have to eliminate every body else to get that fight... if he gets it then...
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (The CEO @ Jan 25 2011, 11:16 AM) *

I don't know man. He made SUCH a show of it once the fight was called. Not doubting it was hurting him. But the way he kept playing it up after, and the smile on his face, seemed like he was more than happy to use it as an excuse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.