Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bernard Hopkins on the Klitschko's
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/585330-...-are-just-lucky

Oops, he's at it again.

He's made disparaging remarks about Joe Calzaghe's pigmentation.

More recently, he brought the subject of race into play in a negative fashion when talking about Manny Pacquiao's choice of opponents.

Now, perhaps predictably, Bernard Hopkins has taken some vicious verbal shots at the Klitschko brothers.

Speaking to Boxing News magazine recently in London, the aging middleweight ripped the heavyweight champions of the world, saying, "The Klitschko brothers are dominating. It’s not fair and it’s not fun."

Hopkins apparently didn't explain exactly what is "not fair" about two Eastern European brothers dominating the heavyweight scene, but no matter.

"I’m not impressed with those guys," "B-Hop" continues, regarding the Klitschkos.

"They’ve got the height and good records and a Hall of Fame trainer in Emanuel Steward. But, otherwise, they’re ordinary. They ain’t special. They’re just lucky.”

Indeed, given their sterling records, the Klitschkos must be two of the luckiest men alive, going by Hopkins' rationale.

B-Hop no doubt thinks Rocky Marciano's 49-0 record was also the product of dumb luck.
"Just lucky": the sight of this makes Bernard Hopkins cringe

Also predictably, given his skin color and the fact that he is aligned with Golden Boy Promotions (as is Hopkins), WBA champion David Haye of the UK is depicted by Hopkins as someone who can save the heavyweight division from the "unfair" nature of the Klitschko brothers' reign.

"Without Haye there ain’t nothing going on in the heavyweights," Hopkins contends. "But if he gets the chance, Haye will knock out both brothers."

(Hopkins apparently hasn't heard that Haye has had numerous chances to fight both Klitschko brothers, and passed on every one of them)

"The younger one would be real easy for Haye," Hopkins excitedly argues, warming to his subject. "But he’d run them both down and knock them both out.”

Whatever you say, Bernard.

Tune in tomorrow for Bernard Hopkins' thoughts on why Jack Dempsey was an overrated tomato can.
AussieLad
Hopkins confirms he is a racist. No surprises here.
TheFonz
that shit is only going to get worse the older he gets. B-Hop is at that "I don't give a fuck" age.
D-MARV
What did he say that was so racist?
thehype
The only thoughts B-Hop should be worrying about is why he's not going to get to fight Jean Pascal next.

laugh.gif

After all, I don't think it's a coincidence that both Jean Pascal and Chad Dawson will be in attendance at Alexander vs. Bradley.

I'm just sayin...
JD
LOL...I don't know whether B-Hop likes white dudes or not, but I know that the author of the article wants you to believe he doesn't.
Method
The Klitchko's suck ass. Are P4P the BIGGEST PUSSIES to ever lace up gloves. ESPECIALLY (well, maybe even exclusively) baby brother.
D-MARV
QUOTE (Method @ Jan 26 2011, 11:33 AM) *
The Klitchko's suck ass. Are P4P the BIGGEST PUSSIES to ever lace up gloves. ESPECIALLY (well, maybe even exclusively) baby brother.

You're a Racist!

Marciano would box circles around B-Hop.
BigG
I don't think either Klitschko are great fighters. They are dominate in a weak era and I just can't rate them along side Holmes, Ali, Marciano, Louis, Holyfield, Tyson. Their beating the likes of Samuel Peter, the real life King Hippo Chris Arreola. Eddie Chambers is so much smaller than Klitschko and is basically the 90's Chris Byrd...and then theres Chris Byrd...Those are their best wins. They're good champions and their dominating...but theres too much talent in the lower weight classes for me to rank either of them in the top 20 pound for pound despite their dominance.

Marciano on the other hand is a true great for his performances against Walcott, Charles, Moore....even tho all were past their peak except for Walcott maybe. but I don't believe Marciano would've beaten Liston.
Spyder
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jan 26 2011, 11:42 AM) *
You're a Racist!

Naw, he'd come straight at him and put Snaggle in a coma.
Maxy
So they've took some quotes he gave in an interview with Boxing News and written a terrible article about it.

Only shame for me is that Boxing News has been mentioned because that is probably the best fight publication the world over.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (BigG @ Jan 26 2011, 10:43 AM) *
I don't think either Klitschko are great fighters. They are dominate in a weak era and I just can't rate them along side Holmes, Ali, Marciano, Louis, Holyfield, Tyson. Their beating the likes of Samuel Peter, the real life King Hippo Chris Arreola. Eddie Chambers is so much smaller than Klitschko and is basically the 90's Chris Byrd...and then theres Chris Byrd...Those are their best wins. They're good champions and their dominating...but theres too much talent in the lower weight classes for me to rank either of them in the top 20 pound for pound despite their dominance.

Marciano on the other hand is a true great for his performances against Walcott, Charles, Moore....even tho all were past their peak except for Walcott maybe. but I don't believe Marciano would've beaten Liston.

prime liston is a very under rated heavy weight... people forget his real age was never known as i'm not even sure liston had a birth certificate... by time clay/ali got to him liston for as is the myth was a lot older than what he was listed at the time (forget the age off hand)... but point is prime liston, the one patterson ducked till he left cus was a monster and if you've never seen him in action id say look him up... guy was a beast with speen a jab that could knock a man out and punching power that on the level with earnie shavers... ive alsways loved him as a fighter....
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 26 2011, 03:21 PM) *
prime liston is a very under rated heavy weight... people forget his real age was never known as i'm not even sure liston had a birth certificate... by time clay/ali got to him liston for as is the myth was a lot older than what he was listed at the time (forget the age off hand)... but point is prime liston, the one patterson ducked till he left cus was a monster and if you've never seen him in action id say look him up... guy was a beast with speen a jab that could knock a man out and punching power that on the level with earnie shavers... ive alsways loved him as a fighter....

Liston was one bad motherfucker, I really enjoy watching his fights. If Patterson gave him his shot like he deserved he would have had the crown a lot longer too. Plus when you look at his record he was stopping damn near everyone til he fought for the title then stopped Patterson.
Snoop
The writer is just trying to make something out of nothing there, attaching his own assumptions to some BHop quotes. Entertaining though.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jan 27 2011, 03:42 AM) *
You're a Racist!

No but he would take that boy to the woodshed for a thrashing.
Warlord
D-MARV
LMAO... Now thats funny!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Maxy @ Jan 26 2011, 02:50 PM) *
So they've took some quotes he gave in an interview with Boxing News and written a terrible article about it.

Only shame for me is that Boxing News has been mentioned because that is probably the best fight publication the world over.

It's a terrible article alright but what's even more terrible is Nard trying to say that Gaye beats both Klits. I mean seriously dude.
EAlbian
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jan 26 2011, 12:42 PM) *
You're a Racist!

Marciano would dip low and plant one on hopkins that he wouldn't wake up for weeks. Marciano's defense is extremely underrated. Marciano i don't believe is overrated and anyone who has real knowledge of the sport wouldn't pick him over some of the great "boxing" heavyweights Ali/Holmes type fighters. I'd take him over Frazier in a barn burner. Foreman i think would be a little too big, same with Lewis and Bowe. Holyfield would be a great fight. I think Tyson would be a little too fast and powerful but if he could weather the storm could be interesting.

The Klits are just so big and come in in great shape, fundamentally they are sound. I don't see anyone beating them right now.

Another intuitive response from Method; you were asking me about ignorance in your posts? go back and reread your last 10 posts and tell me what you've said that would be regarded as an intelligent statement. Did you not watch Klitschko vs Lewis?? how about Wald VS Peter I? Are they come forward brawlers? Vitali has fought that way but Waldamir most certainly isn't and i wouldn't regard them in that way. They use their tools to their advantage and i believe because of their size they would be a formidable challenge for any heavy of any era. David Haye right now has got the best shot but i would still consider it a long shot.

Klits over Marciano on sheer size
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Jan 27 2011, 01:31 PM) *
Marciano would dip low and plant one on hopkins that he wouldn't wake up for weeks. Marciano's defense is extremely underrated. Marciano i don't believe is overrated and anyone who has real knowledge of the sport wouldn't pick him over some of the great "boxing" heavyweights Ali/Holmes type fighters. I'd take him over Frazier in a barn burner. Foreman i think would be a little too big, same with Lewis and Bowe. Holyfield would be a great fight. I think Tyson would be a little too fast and powerful but if he could weather the storm could be interesting.

The Klits are just so big and come in in great shape, fundamentally they are sound. I don't see anyone beating them right now.

Another intuitive response from Method; you were asking me about ignorance in your posts? go back and reread your last 10 posts and tell me what you've said that would be regarded as an intelligent statement. Did you not watch Klitschko vs Lewis?? how about Wald VS Peter I? Are they come forward brawlers? Vitali has fought that way but Waldamir most certainly isn't and i wouldn't regard them in that way. They use their tools to their advantage and i believe because of their size they would be a formidable challenge for any heavy of any era. David Haye right now has got the best shot but i would still consider it a long shot.

Klits over Marciano on sheer size

i respect your views on this post but marciano having under rated defense?... lol... man i dont know bout that... he routinely got busted up... he never faced a true heavyweight puncher in his prime but i'm willing to bet a true puncher would have been able to whack him out and a slick boxer would out box him fairly easy... walcott, whom is in my opinion a under rated heavyweight great, wasnt a slick boxer so to speak... he had that herky jerky style of fighting and he fought flat footed, part of the reason why marciano was able to catch up to him... marciano is in a weird position cuzz he did retire undefeated and was very very tough but he had very glaring flaws as well... had he not retired when he did (in his prime i'll add) and not died he would have more than likely collected a loss from the likes of a patterson or a young sonny liston... just my opinion on the rock...

as far as regardinga b-hop vs marciano fight... it's a fight hopkins would have to fight a perfect fight to win... he would have zero room for error.... what made marciano a great fighter was his resiliance, his heart and his will to win, that plus he could punch like a mule... but its been proven he could be out boxed... even joe louis as shot as he was had minor success in out boxing the rock... but you had to fight a perfect fight to beat him... this is a good topic...
D-MARV
I don't believe for one second that Marciano would have put Hopkins to sleep or in the hospital like so many are saying. LMAO...

Marciano was great (No debating that). But what Hopkins said was true. Marciano's prime was around a time when the Heavyweight division wasn't so great. I don't think Marciano would have faired as well if he had to fight someone like an Ali or a Holmes. If that makes Hopkins a racist then so be it! I find it a bit silly.
EAlbian
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 27 2011, 03:55 PM) *
i respect your views on this post but marciano having under rated defense?... lol... man i dont know bout that... he routinely got busted up... he never faced a true heavyweight puncher in his prime but i'm willing to bet a true puncher would have been able to whack him out and a slick boxer would out box him fairly easy... walcott, whom is in my opinion a under rated heavyweight great, wasnt a slick boxer so to speak... he had that herky jerky style of fighting and he fought flat footed, part of the reason why marciano was able to catch up to him... marciano is in a weird position cuzz he did retire undefeated and was very very tough but he had very glaring flaws as well... had he not retired when he did (in his prime i'll add) and not died he would have more than likely collected a loss from the likes of a patterson or a young sonny liston... just my opinion on the rock...

as far as regardinga b-hop vs marciano fight... it's a fight hopkins would have to fight a perfect fight to win... he would have zero room for error.... what made marciano a great fighter was his resiliance, his heart and his will to win, that plus he could punch like a mule... but its been proven he could be out boxed... even joe louis as shot as he was had minor success in out boxing the rock... but you had to fight a perfect fight to beat him... this is a good topic...

It's the subtle movements you don't realize he makes, he dips low, he shoulders up into punches, little nuances that are hidden behind poor quality videos. maybe this video will help explain the things i have noticed watching fight film. He's slippery in his own way. He's much better than people give him credit for and not as great as some say lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0yHvw-vW0

(Not aimed just at you JLUV) He beat Walcott, Louis, Moore, and Charles. 4 of the best from that era, are you really complaining about that? who would you have like to see him fight? Never proven to be outboxed, he's 49-0.

Marciano against Hopkins at catch-weight of 185 in a 15 round fight for the heavyweight championship ends in a Brockton blockbuster KO, i don't see it any other way. Hopkins doesn't, didn't have the legs, or power to keep him off. I will go on record to say "Rocky Marciano is the Greatest 185lbs fighter of all time." Second on my list would go to Gene Tunney
gravytrain
Marciano/Liston would have been a good scrap. I think about Marciano/Hopkins like this, with the power of Marciano that fight could change at any time. He could definitely have Hopkins in trouble if he landed a big shot and I don't think Hopkins was/is heavy handed enough to really make Marciano think twice. Like J said, Hopkins would have to fight the perfect fight round by round and it'd be a matter of if he could pull it off or not.

EAlbian
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 27 2011, 06:28 PM) *
Marciano/Liston would have been a good scrap. I think about Marciano/Hopkins like this, with the power of Marciano that fight could change at any time. He could definitely have Hopkins in trouble if he landed a big shot and I don't think Hopkins was/is heavy handed enough to really make Marciano think twice. Like J said, Hopkins would have to fight the perfect fight round by round and it'd be a matter of if he could pull it off or not.

Wow that's a great fight i've never visited. Marciano had the balls to come forward and he could deliver but liston had enough power to stop him from coming forward, not to mention that liston had an insane reach of 84". Great fight, don't know on that one.
Spyder
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jan 27 2011, 04:01 PM) *
I don't believe for one second that Marciano would have put Hopkins to sleep or in the hospital like so many are saying. LMAO...

Marciano was great (No debating that). But what Hopkins said was true. Marciano's prime was around a time when the Heavyweight division wasn't so great. I don't think Marciano would have faired as well if he had to fight someone like an Ali or a Holmes. If that makes Hopkins a racist then so be it! I find it a bit silly.

You don't have to believe it, but that doesn't stop it from being true. lol

Jean Pascal with his limited skills and size was enough to deck Hopkins twice...Hopkins could take all of the Antler Juice he wants and he would still be severely out-gunned. Rocky would KTFO Hopkins...badly, and early.

But I don't think it's disparaging to say that Rocky loses to Ali and Holmes...shit, almost everyone in the history of boxing would lose to those two. So what? You could say that about anyone.

D-MARV
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jan 27 2011, 06:29 PM) *
You don't have to believe it, but that doesn't stop it from being true. lol

Jean Pascal with his limited skills and size was enough to deck Hopkins twice...Hopkins could take all of the Antler Juice he wants and he would still be severely out-gunned. Rocky would KTFO Hopkins...badly, and early.

But I don't think it's disparaging to say that Rocky loses to Ali and Holmes...shit, almost everyone in the history of boxing would lose to those two. So what? You could say that about anyone.

Whatever dude.

Hopkins is removed from his prime now and the fact that he still hands out ass whoopings to prime fighters tells us how great he is. I'm not saying he beats Marciano but if you think that Marciano knocks Hopkins out early then you're pretty fucked in the head.

And I'm not questioning how great Marciano was, all I'm saying is that I agree with Hopkins. Marciano would not have been 49-0 if he had fought in a different era. But he dominated his era and that's great!
Spyder
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Jan 27 2011, 08:36 PM) *
Whatever dude.

Hopkins is removed from his prime now and the fact that he still hands out ass whoopings to prime fighters tells us how great he is. I'm not saying he beats Marciano but if you think that Marciano knocks Hopkins out early then you're pretty fucked in the head.

And I'm not questioning how great Marciano was, all I'm saying is that I agree with Hopkins. Marciano would not have been 49-0 if he had fought in a different era. But he dominated his era and that's great!

I'm fucked in the head if I think that one of the best punchers in heavyweight history knocks out an ex-middleweight?

laugh.gif

Come on man...you're starting to sound like one of those Trinidad fans before he fought Hopkins.

laugh.gif
gravytrain
QUOTE (Spyder @ Jan 27 2011, 11:19 PM) *
I'm fucked in the head if I think that one of the best punchers in heavyweight history knocks out an ex-middleweight?

laugh.gif

Come on man...you're starting to sound like one of those Trinidad fans before he fought Hopkins.

laugh.gif

I'm with you on this one, Hopkins could have his teeth rearranged by a good Marciano shot. Unless he fights perfectly 12 rounds it'll get ugly, he's also bound to get caught eventually.

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Jan 27 2011, 06:02 PM) *
Wow that's a great fight i've never visited. Marciano had the balls to come forward and he could deliver but liston had enough power to stop him from coming forward, not to mention that liston had an insane reach of 84". Great fight, don't know on that one.

I'd take Liston. Marciano would keep coming but I think Liston would land more and keep him at a distance with the jab. Marcianos style would really just play into Liston's advantages and I think it'd be a hard fight for him.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Jan 28 2011, 01:36 AM) *
I'm with you on this one, Hopkins could have his teeth rearranged by a good Marciano shot. Unless he fights perfectly 12 rounds it'll get ugly, he's also bound to get caught eventually.

I'd take Liston. Marciano would keep coming but I think Liston would land more and keep him at a distance with the jab. Marcianos style would really just play into Liston's advantages and I think it'd be a hard fight for him.

I'd tend to side with you Gravy........................except that Hopkins is the kind of guy who could fight 12 perfect rounds such is his discipline and skill. Marciano would have to start a clear favourite for the reasons you've mentioned, but it wouldn't be impossible for Nard to win this kind of fight. Past their primes Charles, Walcott and Moore all gave Rocky trouble of varying degrees and I think the Trinidad or Tarver version of Hopkins could do the same.

Marciano by hard fought UD or even SD.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Jan 27 2011, 04:27 PM) *
It's the subtle movements you don't realize he makes, he dips low, he shoulders up into punches, little nuances that are hidden behind poor quality videos. maybe this video will help explain the things i have noticed watching fight film. He's slippery in his own way. He's much better than people give him credit for and not as great as some say lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0yHvw-vW0

(Not aimed just at you JLUV) He beat Walcott, Louis, Moore, and Charles. 4 of the best from that era, are you really complaining about that? who would you have like to see him fight? Never proven to be outboxed, he's 49-0.

Marciano against Hopkins at catch-weight of 185 in a 15 round fight for the heavyweight championship ends in a Brockton blockbuster KO, i don't see it any other way. Hopkins doesn't, didn't have the legs, or power to keep him off. I will go on record to say "Rocky Marciano is the Greatest 185lbs fighter of all time." Second on my list would go to Gene Tunney

ive got a lot of marcianos fights... ive studied the guy... lol... and the fact is he did reign in an era where the division was pretty weak... the fighters you named walcott, louis moore and charles (all 4 all time greats) where all older fighters by time he got to them, def not in their primes... even walcott as champ who i want to say was listed at 37 or 38 was thought to be older, he is another fighter where his true age is unknown there is only a date that he used which is known to be inaccurate... not his fault... but the guy could be out boxed (and i think had he fought a true puncher could have been whacked out by the right kind of fighter, he was known to go down)... want proof?... go back and watch the first roland lastarza fight (theres otheres but thats a fight lastarza fought close to a perfect fight)... marciano got a gift of gifts in that one... if its not online get at me and ill send it to you on dvd... again i respect your opinion on the guy... he was great in the fact that he represented the sport very well for the time... but he was not the great champ people would like for him to be... maybe up until that point in time in history he was great but a lot of fighters (slick fighters that would exploit him in every way possible) have come along since him that have surpassed him... i like to judge fighters not what they would do with their natural size i like to break them down and even them out size wise... when marciano fought he would have been a cruiserweight by todays standard so lets take the greatest cruiser of all time holyfield and use him as an example (modern fighter)... do you really think a prime cruiserweight holyfield would have been bothered by marciano?... evander would slice and dice marciano and send him packing within 6 rounds.. i give him 6 cuzz of how tough he was... good fighter... IN MY OPINION AT LEAST.... not the guy you think he is but hey, maybe they will have a time machine one day and we can actually see this stuff go down... as for hopkins ive given my thoughts on that one.. hopkins could beat him but he'd have to fight a perfect fight and the way marciano would certainly bull him.... i dont know... like i say hopkins would have to fight a perfect 12 rounds in a fight like that... i have my opinion on him but what he was, was a bull that even though would go down wouldnt go out easy and had a very very very solid punch... hopkins would catch all kinds of hell win or lose in my opinion...
ROLL DEEP
Why are people thinking that it's so stupid to believe that one of the freakishly strongest heavyweight fighters ever could knock out an ex-middle?!?

Now I know Hopkins is one tough SOB, but there is a difference. It's not like Marciano is a Byrd puncher - he had immense power.

I'm not saying that's how it would play out, but of course it's a strong possibility.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Jan 28 2011, 06:02 AM) *
Why are people thinking that it's so stupid to believe that one of the freakishly strongest heavyweight fighters ever could knock out an ex-middle?!?
Now I know Hopkins is one tough SOB, but there is a difference. It's not like Marciano is a Byrd puncher - he had immense power.

I'm not saying that's how it would play out, but of course it's a strong possibility.

I don't think anybody is questioning Rock's ability to do it, more a case of would he be able to land the shot on a defensive whizz like Bernard? If you took them to fight say 6 times probably in half the fights he gets the KO shot and the other half Bernard's defence is too tough for him to unlock.

Either way that turns out to be one DIRTY fight laugh.gif

Method
The Klits are just so big and come in in great shape, fundamentally they are sound.

Yeah, that 12-round game of "Patty-Cake" that Wladdy played w Ibragimov was the most "fundamentally sound" version of that romper room game I have ever witnessed.
Spyder
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 28 2011, 06:17 AM) *
I don't think anybody is questioning Rock's ability to do it, more a case of would he be able to land the shot on a defensive whizz like Bernard? If you took them to fight say 6 times probably in half the fights he gets the KO shot and the other half Bernard's defence is too tough for him to unlock.

Either way that turns out to be one DIRTY fight laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Ollie...man, you know better...lol

You don't think that Rocky Marciano could figure out a way to land a shot on the defensive whizz, yet Segundo Mercado and Jean Pascal could?

laugh.gif

If my memory serves me correctly, Archie Moore was a bit of a defensive whizz himself...so to that (I'm sorry I'm gonna have to do it to you) I say...

C'MON MAN!

JD
Are we debating if Bernard Hopkins would beat Rocky Marciano?

I like B-Hop as much as the next guy...but this is kind of silly. What exactly would Hopkins use to keep Marciano off of him? A nasty inside game is part of Bernard's arsenal, and a strong point at that, needless to say it would be rather useless here.

gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Jan 28 2011, 03:06 AM) *
I'd tend to side with you Gravy........................except that Hopkins is the kind of guy who could fight 12 perfect rounds such is his discipline and skill. Marciano would have to start a clear favourite for the reasons you've mentioned, but it wouldn't be impossible for Nard to win this kind of fight. Past their primes Charles, Walcott and Moore all gave Rocky trouble of varying degrees and I think the Trinidad or Tarver version of Hopkins could do the same.

Marciano by hard fought UD or even SD.

personally i think Hopkins would get caught with something hard eventually and it'll stun him then Marciano lets that big right hand go and Hopkins is gone. and that's the big problem with Marciano/Hopkins, Marciano has the power to where Hopkins can be perfect 11rounds then be done in the 12th.

SENTRAL
Seriously, Marciano gets such a bum rap from so many people it's just unreal.  If we are studying who would win a mythical match between a great fighter at middleweight who has achieved more than many thought he could up to light heavyweight, against a genuine all time great heavyweight, is there any room for debate?  Hopkins is only at his best when he fights at his pace and it's quite obvious to me he would in no way be capable of dictating the pace against a puncher like Marciano whose stamina was relentless.  Marciano might not be landing clean early on but those wicked shots to the arms take their toll eventually and Hopkins, fighting on the back foot, only needs to drop that guard one time and he is on queer street.  How many times would we see Hopkins bitch and cry to the referee about low blows and elbows too I ask?  It would be a horrible fight to watch but there would only be one outcome and Hopkins suffers a knock out defeat.  It's a no
brainer and if anybody thinks Hopkins win this fight they are watching the wrong sport.
Method
=
EAlbian
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 28 2011, 06:03 AM) *
ive got a lot of marcianos fights... ive studied the guy... lol... and the fact is he did reign in an era where the division was pretty weak... the fighters you named walcott, louis moore and charles (all 4 all time greats) where all older fighters by time he got to them, def not in their primes... even walcott as champ who i want to say was listed at 37 or 38 was thought to be older, he is another fighter where his true age is unknown there is only a date that he used which is known to be inaccurate... not his fault... but the guy could be out boxed (and i think had he fought a true puncher could have been whacked out by the right kind of fighter, he was known to go down)... want proof?... go back and watch the first roland lastarza fight (theres otheres but thats a fight lastarza fought close to a perfect fight)... marciano got a gift of gifts in that one... if its not online get at me and ill send it to you on dvd... again i respect your opinion on the guy... he was great in the fact that he represented the sport very well for the time... but he was not the great champ people would like for him to be... maybe up until that point in time in history he was great but a lot of fighters (slick fighters that would exploit him in every way possible) have come along since him that have surpassed him... i like to judge fighters not what they would do with their natural size i like to break them down and even them out size wise... when marciano fought he would have been a cruiserweight by todays standard so lets take the greatest cruiser of all time holyfield and use him as an example (modern fighter)... do you really think a prime cruiserweight holyfield would have been bothered by marciano?... evander would slice and dice marciano and send him packing within 6 rounds.. i give him 6 cuzz of how tough he was... good fighter... IN MY OPINION AT LEAST.... not the guy you think he is but hey, maybe they will have a time machine one day and we can actually see this stuff go down... as for hopkins ive given my thoughts on that one.. hopkins could beat him but he'd have to fight a perfect fight and the way marciano would certainly bull him.... i dont know... like i say hopkins would have to fight a perfect 12 rounds in a fight like that... i have my opinion on him but what he was, was a bull that even though would go down wouldnt go out easy and had a very very very solid punch... hopkins would catch all kinds of hell win or lose in my opinion...

Moore won the Light heavy weight championship after they fought and continued his career for almost 10 years. Granted the Rocks wins were not the best but in history but he was a great fighter and i think he gets a bum wrap. I think he would give holyfield all he could handle and in no way pick the real deal to KO him in 6 rounds. Holyfield couldn't KO Moorer the first time around or ray mercer or Qawi, but he's going to stop a guy who's never been seriously hurt?? not buying that.

I honestly believe Marciano is the greatest 185lber ever. He easily could have been a LHW but chose to fight at heavy. I have seen the Lastarza fight and he was given a gift, but what happened when they fought again?? He never lost, it's like saying well Pac was given a gift(draw) against marquez the first time around, or floyd lost to castillo. The judges scored it what they scored it and we got the real answer who was better the second time around. I felt Pac won solely on the KD

Please send me the DVD's, always looking to add to my collection and would be open to swapping some fights for them.

Lil-lightsout
It's kind of cool to see many of you even watched many of the "old" fighters. To be honest, I have never watched a full Marciano fight, just bits and pieces so I have no valid input on a Hops and Rocky fight. I just could never get into those old timers fights, they always seem so boring to me. Maybe it's the black and white?
Maxy
I grew up watching all the old timers and cos of my Grandad, who was the one who got me into boxing, I made sure I got to see pretty much everyone he spoke about. Black and white footage shouldn't put you off - I had shed loads of tapes as a young teenager but shit got even better over the years and with the net and that...anything that was ever screened or filmed can be traced now one way or another. Love it mate.

Marciano would walk through Hopkins. What's Bernard got in his arsenal to deter an animal like Rocky? Bigger man naturally, savage puncher, crazy desire, awesome stamina....

Anyway, the Klits, I hate the fuckers but they are good now and would be difficult to beat in a lot of eras by a lot of good past champions. They ain't the greatest, fuck no, but they are better than people give em credit for and Hopkins just likes to spout off his bollocks on a random basis....although the article is just twisted to add to the racism curve thrown at him.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Jan 28 2011, 04:37 PM) *
It's kind of cool to see many of you even watched many of the "old" fighters. To be honest, I have never watched a full Marciano fight, just bits and pieces so I have no valid input on a Hops and Rocky fight. I just could never get into those old timers fights, they always seem so boring to me. Maybe it's the black and white?

The old fighters are more entertaining, that's when boxing was a man's sport. I watch old fights from the 30s-60s more than anything.

I like Marciano for what he was, he was smart too. Know that "airplane propeller" like motion? That's to get more power out of his punch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.