Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The heavyweights of the future
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
SENTRAL
So with the recent comments of Emanuel Steward claiming Tyson Fury will be heavyweight boxings next big star it got me to thinking about who we can expect to be the future of the heavyweight division.  I've done a little research and came up with a few names who are regarded as good propsects at heavyweight.

Tyson Fury: Fury is 6' 9", undefeated in 13 fights with 9 knockouts.  He is said to be a good talker and this has helped elevate his reputation.  With a man like Steward in his camp it can only help him.

Deontay Wilder: Our biggest homegrown hope for the future who carries an unblemished 14 straight wins with 14 knockouts.  So far his level of competition hasn't been strong but Breland is moving him along slowly.

Edmund
Gerber: A 22 year old German heavyweight undefeated in 13 fights with 9 knockouts.  Rated highly in Germany and expected to step up in class this year. 

Flo Simba: A bit of a sensation in South Africa Simba has 9 wins and 8 knockouts but has not yet been tested.  Known as the Demolition Man he is expected to train and fight in the US this year.

Carlos Negron: This 6' 6" Puerto Rican currently boxes as a cruiserweight but it expected to move up shortly.  He is 22 years old undefeated in 11 fights and has 7 knockouts.

Seth Mitchell: Standing quite small at 6' 2", Mayhem is undefeated in 20 fights and has 14 knockouts.  His most recent victory was an impressive 5th round knockout over Taurus Sykes.

Lateef Kayode: Another cruiserweight but a man who has linked up with Freddie Roach, this Nigerian has compiled an undefeated record of 15 wins and 14 knockouts but has stopped everybody since his pro debut.

There are probably many more exciting prospects for the heavyweight future and I'm sure you guys can all add to the list and express any insight you may have? 
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jan 29 2011, 12:49 PM) *
Deontay Wilder: Our biggest homegrown hope for the future who carries an unblemished 14 straight wins with 14 knockouts.  So far his level of competition hasn't been strong but Breland is moving him along slowly.

I didn't see it but I heard Wilder got floored against Harold Sconiers, which doesn't sound too promising for a guy still in there with limited journeymen.

I want him to do well, so I hope it's an abberration.

Whatever happens, I'm just sure there's the next Mike Tyson around the corner, but I've a feeling he won't be American but some menacing African powerhouse instead. Or maybe a Cuban? They gotta have some quality Cuban heavies on the way up in Germany or Miami or somewhere?

Black
BigG
Man I've seen that Puerto Rican prospect and theres no way that dude will ever be a champion...

When the Klitschkos retire, I'm high on Eddie Chambers being a champion...because I think he's like this era's Tony Tubbs or like the 90's Chris Byrd..I think those 3 are all about the same level....he was too small for Wlad and would probably get beat against Vitali but he's 4th best Heavyweight to me besides the Clits and Haye...he's got the skills to beat everyone besides those 3.
SENTRAL
Should Dereck Chisora be in there as with a 14-0 record he cannot be considered as anything more than a prospect. He is said to be looking in fantastic shape so maybe the future of the heavyweights is already right before our very eyes?
BGv2.0
Give you an idea of just how bleak the future is....if a legendary trainer like Manny Steward is cliaming that the uncordinated train wreck of a HW Tyson Fury is the next big thing...it's bad. He has to be basing 90% of that assumption on height....because that guy looks like SHIT!

I'd bet he either looses or gets taken into deep water and eeks past the ancient Botha in his next fight.....all shitty 6ft 9 in of him!

as much as I dislike the Klits BORING "reign"....at the very least they do provide stability to the division. Once they are gone the shitty lot left behind will trade all these belts like baseball cards.

Maxy
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Jan 29 2011, 10:01 AM) *
I didn't see it but I heard Wilder got floored against Harold Sconiers, which doesn't sound too promising for a guy still in there with limited journeymen.

I want him to do well, so I hope it's an abberration.

Whatever happens, I'm just sure there's the next Mike Tyson around the corner, but I've a feeling he won't be American but some menacing African powerhouse instead. Or maybe a Cuban? They gotta have some quality Cuban heavies on the way up in Germany or Miami or somewhere?

Black

Saw Wilders most recent fight and I can already tell he is DEFINITELY not EVER going to be a champion. I was actually shocked that there is any hype at all about this fella. His resume is god awful and I think that's because they know he is an accident waiting to happen.

QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Jan 29 2011, 11:18 AM) *
Should Dereck Chisora be in there as with a 14-0 record he cannot be considered as anything more than a prospect. He is said to be looking in fantastic shape so maybe the future of the heavyweights is already right before our very eyes?

I'd be shocked if Chisora even managed to make it competitive to be honest. He'd have to improve 75% to make a fight of it with Wlad and because he's taking it now I worry that it'll finish him as one for the future....I mean it's too soon to put him in with ANY top 10 fighter, let alone a Klitschko.

QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Jan 29 2011, 01:12 PM) *
Give you an idea of just how bleak the future is....if a legendary trainer like Manny Steward is cliaming that the uncordinated train wreck of a HW Tyson Fury is the next big thing...it's bad. He has to be basing 90% of that assumption on height....because that guy looks like SHIT!

I'd bet he either looses or gets taken into deep water and eeks past the ancient Botha in his next fight.....all shitty 6ft 9 in of him!

as much as I dislike the Klits BORING "reign"....at the very least they do provide stability to the division. Once they are gone the shitty lot left behind will trade all these belts like baseball cards.

Steward is probably just throwing a few comments out there because he's linked with Fury now. If Tyson was to get in 100% shape I'd be willing to give him time to improve as he's only young, but the fact is he doesn't even look trim and that's a no no for me, whatever his ability.
STEVENSKI
There is some guy in the California school system who has the goods & will beat both Klits on the same night. Can't remember his name though.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 30 2011, 08:52 PM) *
There is some guy in the California school system who has the goods & will beat both Klits on the same night. Can't remember his name though.

laugh.gif I remember that thread.

One of David Tua's cousins (or is it nephews?) is fighting in our amateur ranks and is knocking out the comp pretty much like a young David Tua. Whether he is good enough to mix it with the likes of that young kid in America is debatable though. I'm not sure he could beat a Klit yet laugh.gif

I really wish more Islanders would get into the sport down here and also in Australia. They are the perfecty built for HW. Often have great stamina and fast twitch muscle plus buckets of natural power.

Possibly discipline (see Tua) is the thing that holds them back. Plus we don't have the big sports like American football competing, only rugby and league which are never going to pay as much as being a successful pro-HW is going to do.
Fitz
Sonny Bill Williams? laugh.gif

Ex rugby player. I seen him a while ago, and he looked raw as fuck. I know he only had 3 fights, but still. He has a good body, lean, strong and tall with long arms. But Mundine is an idiot to be saying that stuff so early.
gravytrain
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Jan 30 2011, 08:52 PM) *

i'm surprised he can find time to train between Xbox 360 and MTV.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 31 2011, 01:06 AM) *

Ex rugby player. I seen him a while ago, and he looked raw as fuck. I know he only had 3 fights, but still. He has a good body, lean, strong and tall with long arms. But Mundine is an idiot to be saying that stuff so early.

I've just read that article as well and it is just crazy to say that. However that is the Mundine family for you. To have any kind of chance to be in the same universe as Ali he would have to have been boxing for a lot longer than he already has.

What I will say about Sonny Bill Williams though is that he has the most raw atheletic ability I've seen since Jonah Lomu. The guy is a freak and certainly if he's been boxing and soley boxing for a few years there may be something in him being competitive in the sport. Physically eveything is in place.

My bet is that he gives boxing a try fulltime after the World Cup which hopefully the All Blacks will win. I just think he is too far behind the 8 ball to catch-up. Although if anyone has got the ability to do it it is probably him.

Did you catch the fight? It was playing at a pub I was at and I had half an eye on it. It was a pretty scrappy affair and the other guy came to spoil. He didn't look too bad for a guy whom is essentially doing it part time, but I wasn't blown away.

Fitz
Nah, I didn't catch it. They were charing like $40 or $50 for that as a PPV, lol.

I seen him fight once, and it was scrappy, but his first fight. He has a good build, but for a guy with such little experience, Mundine Sr just needs to keep his mouth shut.
JLUVBABY
JLUVBABY
dudes got some long as arms... damn...
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 31 2011, 03:06 AM) *
dudes got some long as arms... damn...

Yep physically the guy is quite a speciman. You should see him play rugby or rugby league, he is even more atheletic than perhaps that clip showed.

I reckon we have quite a few of these kind of guys walking around NZ but unfortunately most of them want to be All Blacks or play professional rugby league in the NRL (the Aussie comp.)
Fitz
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 31 2011, 06:05 PM) *

Yep, told you he has incredibly long arms. It's ridiculous. Mundine Sr is just being an idiot, he should take it easy with comments like that though.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Jan 31 2011, 02:17 AM) *
The guy will only get better as he has good movement and is still a baby in the sport, his physical background should give him an advantage over the soft division. The fact he has size, decent footwork and is in great shape should take him further in the HW division. He has potential but for his sake, his team should not throw such outrageous comparisons so early..nor ever!

i must not have read it... who did his corner compare him to?
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 31 2011, 04:48 AM) *

Gulp. The sacred one. laugh.gif
Fitz
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Jan 31 2011, 07:48 PM) *

"I said to (Williams) in 12 months time he could be the second Ali. He could be anything," Mundine said.

"I saw him about 12 months ago, I really thought he moved like Ali."

"He needs more fights ... If he keeps on boxing seriously, he will be the second Ali."
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 31 2011, 04:06 PM) *

SBW is a cunt. I hope he gets seriously hurt playing Rugby.
Fitz
Hahaha, how come? I don't follow rugby, but would love to hear how much of a cunt he is, and compared to Mundine.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Jan 31 2011, 09:29 PM) *
Hahaha, how come? I don't follow rugby, but would love to hear how much of a cunt he is, and compared to Mundine.

He is a fake a fraud if you like. He was this big "impact" player who was constantly injured & then walked out on his contract & teammates mid season. I am glad the NRL deregistered him & I hope he never plays League again.

Like Mundine he was a above average player but far from great. He thought he was worth a lot more than he was & showed his true colours walking out on his teammates.

He is not racist like Mundine is he is just of low moral character. I joke a lot about wanting to see certain people "hurt, killed, crippled" etc but with Williams I would be quite happy to see a scrum collapse on him & snap his spinal cord.
Fitz
Hahaha, now I remember I think.

Was he playing for the Bulldogs? And did he threaten or say he was going over to play in a union league or some other league for more money?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 1 2011, 09:57 AM) *
Hahaha, now I remember I think.

Was he playing for the Bulldogs? And did he threaten or say he was going over to play in a union league or some other league for more money?

Nah he just did a runner & walked out on his team. Disgusting behaviour.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.