Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighters you DON'T want to see lose.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
Figured this thread would be interesting after all the hate we shared in the Hit List thread, lol.

Inevitably this will likely turn into "who are your favorite fighters" thread as no one wants to see their favorites lose, but there are exceptions. For example, Adamek.

Adamek: Don't care for him much and he probably isn't even in my top 50 current favorite fighters. But I don't want to see him lose because he's a little guy in a big division giving it his all, and I respect that. Of course his name being on my list won't last long as he'll likely lose to a Klitschko in the near future.

Marquez: I really would like to see the guy get an "official" W over Pacquiao. Even though I'd pick Pacquiao if they fought a 3rd time at this stage of the game, I still would like to see him get a shot and for that to happen he can't lose any time soon. He'll achieve a small personal victory when he dismantles an over the hill Morales in the near future, but that won't mean as much as officially beating Pacquiao, something many believe he has already done.

Hopkins: He's accomplished a ton in his long career, and with a few key wins (avenge Pascal loss, then maybe Dawson) he could really put a great ending on an already great career and further his ATG status.

Mosley: I still have a soft spot for the dude even though he's a good decade removed from his prime. I always find myself rooting for him (like against Mayweather) even when he's getting worked. The same will be true when he faces Pacquiao.

Mayweather: The most controversial name on my list no doubt, but his name comes with a footnote. IF HE'S ACTIVE. Which certainly now he isn't, so I really don't care if he loses. But if he were to become active again (like 2 fights/year) I'd want him to stay undefeated for no reason other than that I believe him to be something really special in terms of his natural skills and abilities. An arrogant prick? Absolutely, and there have been several times I've rooted against the guy, like when he fought 2 of my names above. But the way I see it, if we're watching one of the GOAT guys I'd like him to be successful if he indeed is THAT good. All that goes out the window though when he's inactive and his headlines have nothing to do with the sport of boxing.

Who do you guys not want to see lose?
BoxingStill#1
At this stage I don't want to see Cotto lose. But if he does, I want it to be in cold knockout fasion and I don't ever want to see him box again. Admittedly, I am a fan.. And he is a favorite of mine. I would like to see him dominate Mayorga but can't fathom him doing it. That being said, if you are an elite fighter, yet can't seem to no longer compete with elite competition, then retire Miguel Cotto.....

I don't want to see Berto lose at this stage either,... Can't figure out why yet though...lol
salvador
Gamboa
Box in Hand
I'm gonna say Marquez because he is just the epitome of a great fighter. If you want to school kids on the all around boxer you show him to this guy, Hopkins, Ricardo Lopez etc.

Big Slim Sweet
Manny Pacquiao - This is my boxing community and I'm one of the few guys here who still likes him. If he loses everyone and their mama will be piling on. Plus he brings a shit load of excitement to the sport right now.

Andre Ward - I like everything about this kid and he has a chance hopefully to bring some excitement back to boxing here in the U.S. Good fighter, versatile, humble. I hope he stays undefeated for a while.

Yuriorkis Gamboa and Juan Manual Lopez - Until they fight each other.

And of course, my favorites Shane Mosley and James Toney - In this case I know they're going to lose (well Mosley will, Toney will if he ever fights again), I just don't want to see either man KTFO.
Romulus9
Pacquiao is the most active, well-known face of the sport. His continued winning is a good thing in the big picture.

Co-sign on Gamboa and Adamek.

I'd love to see Andre Ward go on a huge winning streak in his career. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Safe to say that almost everyone has a soft spot for Miguel Cotto too. Much deserved.
JLUVBABY
Mayweather... I dont like some of the things he does but i love to watch the dude fight when he gets in the ring... id like to see him end his career undefeated... its just me... plus he's old school...

Juan Manuek Marquez... What more can i say... The guy deserved that first fight over pac even though he was down 3 times... If he didnt win the next 11 rounds he won most of them... the rematch was close could have gone either way... but all in all the guy, i believe is an all time great... a true warrior and id like to see him go out on top... he's old school and i have to root for the older fighters...

Bernard Hopkins.... What he's doing at 48... Honestly i hope he can make it to bout 52 at this level... he's a first ballot hall of famer right now but i watched him defend every defense of that middleweight reign and watched him get over looked and not get the props he deserved back then... maybe its a good thing cuzz had he gotten the credit we wouldnt have seen some of these master pieces he has put on the last couple of years... id like to see him considered top 10 all time, a lil more work may make that possible...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Romulus9 @ Feb 2 2011, 06:48 PM) *
Safe to say that almost everyone has a soft spot for Miguel Cotto too. Much deserved.

i have a soft spot for him too but realistically the guy is gonna always be a fight away from a knockout... the way he reacts to punches just dont look right...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 2 2011, 07:52 PM) *
i have a soft spot for him too but realistically the guy is gonna always be a fight away from a knockout... the way he reacts to punches just dont look right...

i don't know about a fight away from a knockout, he's a fight away from needing a new career. Margarito or Pac is coming up in the future and he's not coming back from 3 bad losses.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Feb 2 2011, 09:28 PM) *
i don't know about a fight away from a knockout, he's a fight away from needing a new career. Margarito or Pac is coming up in the future and he's not coming back from 3 bad losses.

i watched tito vs mayorga yesterday and i know cotto is not as good as tito was and mayorga had some success with tito even scoring a knockdown... dont rule him out in this fight coming up.. the dude can punch...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 2 2011, 11:22 PM) *
i watched tito vs mayorga yesterday and i know cotto is not as good as tito was and mayorga had some success with tito even scoring a knockdown... dont rule him out in this fight coming up.. the dude can punch...

That fight was about 6.5 years ago lol. i think this fight is what it's, Arum just wants to be able to put Cotto in with Pac again since Cotto's days are numbered. a victory over Mayorga is just a way to spin it as a legit fight to the average Joe that still remembers the beat down Cotto got against Pac. i would say Arum wants Pac/Mayorga but King will fight to the death for a piece of that and Arum doesn't want a fighter who's going to bring another promoter into the match up.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
The only guy I don't wanna see lose right now is Gamboa. A fighter like him could be the next superstar in the sport especially if he were to win a fight with JuanMa.

I prolly don't want to see Saul Alvarez lose either. I know not everyone here is not sold on him but the dude is relentless, young and hungry. Plus how much mileage can he get out of being a red headed Mexican? laugh.gif

I'm sure you could get the average sports fan to tune in to watch a red headed Mexican, 'Irish' Saul Alvarez, haha.

The other guys I like are all pretty much on the way out so a loss is neither here nor there.
lloyd mayflower
I dont really get upset with anyone who loses anymore. I dont want to see Cotto or Marquez lose tho cos most likely your going to have to really hurt them to beat them, more so Cotto cos he is a brutal KO waiting to happen. That would make me sad. I know favourite fighters wasnt the point of this, but JMM is just different class and I dont want to see him lose.
Maxy
I really don't want to see Froch lose. I want him to win the super six, and yeah, I know it's a long shot but I hope he can pull it off. I just like Froch as a fighter because he is willing to take on the best out there and in boxing today that is a dying trait.

Another one (which will no doubt please Lloyd laugh.gif ) is James DeGale. I'd be made up if he was able to carve out a great career, win multiple world titles and piss the world off with his arrogance. It's early days for James though and my opinion might change in time.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 3 2011, 04:02 PM) *
I really don't want to see Froch lose. I want him to win the super six, and yeah, I know it's a long shot but I hope he can pull it off. I just like Froch as a fighter because he is willing to take on the best out there and in boxing today that is a dying trait.

Another one (which will no doubt please Lloyd laugh.gif ) is James DeGale. I'd be made up if he was able to carve out a great career, win multiple world titles and piss the world off with his arrogance. It's early days for James though and my opinion might change in time.

Il save you a seat on the wagon. Its only a matter of time before you get proper fucked off with him!!

I hope Groves derails him before he ever even gets a shot!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Feb 2 2011, 11:50 PM) *
That fight was about 6.5 years ago lol. i think this fight is what it's, Arum just wants to be able to put Cotto in with Pac again since Cotto's days are numbered. a victory over Mayorga is just a way to spin it as a legit fight to the average Joe that still remembers the beat down Cotto got against Pac. i would say Arum wants Pac/Mayorga but King will fight to the death for a piece of that and Arum doesn't want a fighter who's going to bring another promoter into the match up.

i know its been a while... but cotto isntthe wrecking machine he used to be neither and he can be hurt by a puncher, which mayorga is... not picking mayorga to win but it wont surprise me... it wont be an upset is what im saying...
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 3 2011, 11:50 AM) *
Mayweather... I dont like some of the things he does but i love to watch the dude fight when he gets in the ring... id like to see him end his career undefeated... its just me... plus he's old school...

Mayweather is as far from old school as you can get. Old school fighters actually fought & challenged themselves. Mayweathers only challenge is can he pissa way more money today then he did yesterday.
D-MARV
LOL... Im sure JLUV was talking about Floyd's fighting style. His style is certainly "Old School".

I don't want to see PWIll lose anymore. I hope Mr Peterson doesn't do anything stupid like throw him in with a punch right away.

I don't want to see Ward lose either. He will be among the top pound for pound fighters in the next year or so. But I can also envision him falling victim to a 1 punch KO (a la Roy Jones).

Juan Manuel Marquez is one of my favorite fighters of all time. I'll NEVER root against him.

I don't want to see Amir Khan lose anytime soon either. Im not a Huge fan but he catches a lot of shit and HE"S THE BEST 140LBER IN THE WORLD!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Feb 3 2011, 04:09 PM) *
Mayweather is as far from old school as you can get. Old school fighters actually fought & challenged themselves. Mayweathers only challenge is can he pissa way more money today then he did yesterday.

i was talking bout his length in the game... i know you hate him stev.... wouldnt expect anything less from you... lol..
The CEO
Ward, Bradley, Gamboa, and Donaire....they're still young, and iMo, the present AND future of Boxing...so I'd probably be a little disappointed if they suffered a setback...
AussieLad
Katsidis. Dude always brings everything he has into the ring, and always wants the big fights. Unfortunately he doesnt have the skill to beat the elite, and so is definitely going to rack up more losses soon. I hear he maybe in there with kahn next, so expect another loss fairly soon. Would be great if he somehow pulls a win out of his ass, but dount count on it.
BrutalBodyShots
Katsidis bothers me... simply because I think he throws the ugliest looking right hand of all time. It's like he tries to turn it over and hit you with his pinky knuckle or something. I know it's a stupid thing not to like about the guy, but it distracts the hell out of me when I watch him fight.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 5 2011, 05:39 PM) *
Yeah it is a very weird right that he throws, and not a good one. But hey, I love the guy. I just find him really likeable. He is pretty limited, but works hard and is a true fighter.
It's a shame sometimes that it's these limited guys that have the best mentality in the ring, and outside the ring. Wear their heart of their sleeve and mentally strong, and then you see guys with all the talent in the world, and would probably benefit of having 50% of the mental strength some of the others have, lol.

Fitz, I hear what you're saying. I agree about the mental strength.

It's somewhat of a catch 22 in a sense and can be argued both ways. Is a mentally strong fighter born that way or is it learned? And those that aren't mentally strong but are talented (Zab Judah comes to mind) are they simply less strong mentally because due to their talent when they were young perhaps they didn't need mental toughness? Guys like Katsidis aren't successful without mental toughness... kinda like a Wayne McCullough... if he or Katsidis weren't mentally tough, their skillset alone wouldn't allow them to achieve the status of a B level fighter. So then, does lack of skills (natural ability) force a fighter to be mentally stronger? I think lots of different arguments can be made and supported about this topic for sure.
Lil-lightsout
Mosley, Toney, Bradley.
Jack 1000
Pacquiao, Mares. Sergio Martinez.

Jack
Col Reb
1) Pac - he's so good for the sport, I especially want to see him beat Floyd

2) Martinez - another good guy who is fun to watch and could really do big things

3) Toney - it's funny to hear him create havoc in the press, I just hope he gets a big fight soon

4) Darchinyan - he's another one who is fun to watch

5) Gamboa - tons of potential for him, I hope he lives up to it

6) Botha - waiting for the Buffalo Nation to rise, need I say anymore
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.