Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What style do you enjoy watching most?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
Some like pure boxers; others like all out brawlers that throw style out the window. And there's a million of styles in between. What's your favorite and why?

My favorite is the natural "fighter" if you will. Three names from this era immediately come to mind. Bernard Hopkins, James Toney and Floyd Mayweather.

While these 3 guys don't all possess the same exact style, I'd group them into a similar category. All have great natural skills and abilities. All have GREAT natural defense. They can all comfortably lead or counter with good but not great power. They have shown the ability to outbox their opponents or outslug them depending on the situation. All can talk a great game and back it up.

While I can appreciate a great pure boxer or a great pure brawler, I kind of prefer something in between... and watching the bouts of "natural fighters" as I'd categorize them entertains me the most.

BigG
James Toney, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Bernard Hopkins, Ricardo Lopez, Morales, Marquez brothers, Whitaker, Cotto.
JLUVBABY
i like the pure boxer or the boxer puncher.... actually what ever you would call lil floyd at 130... watching him at 130 mix slick elusive boxing with punching power was a sight to see...
The Original MrFactor
For me, its more the matchup between two styles. Since the days of Ali/Frazier or Ali/Foreman, I've loved to watch the mesh between a boxer and a brawler/puncher. They make for the best fights, to me. I for one, would still love to see Floyd Mayweather against Antonio Margarito. I'd love to see how Larry Holmes prime would have dealt with prime George Foreman. I liked the matchup between James Toney and Sam Peter.

Bradley/Alexander sucked because the styles didnt mesh well. Alexander is a boxer/counterpuncher and Bradley is a brawler/counterpuncher. With both guys trying to counter one another, you have a lousy matchup. Bradley/Maidana would have been a great action fight because both guys come forward tro get you. Bradley is a good inside counterpuncher.
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 4 2011, 12:45 AM) *
i like the pure boxer or the boxer puncher.... actually what ever you would call lil floyd at 130... watching him at 130 mix slick elusive boxing with punching power was a sight to see...

I actually like him more now, I really like seeing his use of feints and footwork. either way he's the fighter i enjoy watching the most at the moment.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
And I'm listing these guys assuming they are in their primes and listing guys I have been able to watch a decent amount of quality footage:

Toney 1st, the rest in whatever order,

Manny, Cotto, Tyson, Hopkins, Hearns, Hagler amd Morales.

Gamboa if he continues to evolve could easily make this list.

For me it's not just styles it's also the intent of the fighter. These are all dudes that have seriously bad intentions towards their opposition. Part of the reason why I was never super hot on Roy Jones was despite all his skills I never felt he really wanted to hurt guys. He was happy to do just enough. None of the fighters listed wanted to do that, they wanted to dominate guys in brutal fashion.

blackbelt2003
I like guys who go to war, but do so with a good measure of skill. Not just chin down, swinging for the fence-type brawlers, but guys who outman their opponent with power, strength and skill.

Ray Robinson as a middleweight, for instance. Shane Mosley as a welter champ, Diego Corrales for a while, Hagler, those are all examples of fighters I liked.

Black
Snoop
In recent fights, Juan Manuel Marquez has impressed the hell outta me.
Hittman25
i Love a boxer puncher like juan manuel marquez but what Fight i like to watch and i think never lets a fight fan down is the boxer vs the brawler.... pure brawlers who lay you out with one shot are always involved in good ass fights....in those fights you either see the brawler do his thing or get his ass kicked but hes always trying i like those types of fighters even tho wen they find some one with way faster hands and foot speed they get outclassed but they never quit........so i guess you can say im a fan of marcos maidana......just wish he had better footwork and head movement.....needs a new trainer....cant keep on letting him think its ok to fight flat footed....but either way maidana is the style i like watching..
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 4 2011, 01:59 AM) *
For me, its more the matchup between two styles. Since the days of Ali/Frazier or Ali/Foreman, I've loved to watch the mesh between a boxer and a brawler/puncher. They make for the best fights, to me. I for one, would still love to see Floyd Mayweather against Antonio Margarito. I'd love to see how Larry Holmes prime would have dealt with prime George Foreman. I liked the matchup between James Toney and Sam Peter.

Bradley/Alexander sucked because the styles didnt mesh well. Alexander is a boxer/counterpuncher and Bradley is a brawler/counterpuncher. With both guys trying to counter one another, you have a lousy matchup. Bradley/Maidana would have been a great action fight because both guys come forward tro get you. Bradley is a good inside counterpuncher.

I think James Toney and Vasily Jirov was the perfect matchup between boxer and puncher.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Feb 4 2011, 02:56 PM) *
I think James Toney and Vasily Jirov was the perfect matchup between boxer and puncher.

That was great fight. That final round had some awesome drama. Toney's body work was top notch.
Box in Hand
I love technical boxers and my God, Hopkins dismantling of Trinidad is still my favorite shut down of a top level fighter. Mayweather and Toney are also great to watch. However every once and a while a fight like Gatti-Ward, or Castillo-Corralles (RIP) come along and makes all the technical shit look like blah blah blah. I FUCKING LOVE THIS SPORT!
Method
B-Hop.

A Prime JT.

A Mayweather vs Mosley.

a MArgarito vs Cotto

a Gatti/Ward.

Loved Gerald McClellan

Loved MArbin Hags.

Loved PRIME ALI.

But a prime Ex did it all.

SRRobinson.
Mean Mister Mustard
I like inside fighters like Jose Luis Castillo, J.C Chavez who put smart pressure and end up dominating the last rounds. Body punchers who land them hard and often enough to stop guys in the later rounds can be fun to analyze. I like watching the Peterson brothers fight, and I still have high hopes for them despite each having lost their undefeated records recently.

JLUVBABY
didnt want to make a new thread for this fight but i sure hope mora loses this fight... its close...
JLUVBABY
LOL!!!!! no more latin snake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hate that damn dude...
AussieLad
Aggressive power punchers, preferably with the skill to back it up. Someone that can end a fight at any second, so your glued to the tv for every second of the match as long as it lasts
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 4 2011, 04:22 PM) *
That was great fight. That final round had some awesome drama. Toney's body work was top notch.

One of the few times I've ever enjoyed Manny Steward as an announcer as well, marking out for JT during that last round.
JONdaCON817
Slicc style boxers and show boaters always been my fav... (in their prime of course)

Mayweather

Mosley

Trinidad

Gambao

JuanMa

Prince Naseem

E. Augustus

etc...

salvador
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Feb 4 2011, 02:56 PM) *

It was a da Vinci of a fight.

If those guys had gotten paid for the actual WORTH of that fight relative to virtually every PPV I've seen over the past decade they'd be richer than Warren Buffet.

It was the entire reason that boxing is the most important sport on earth.
Lil-lightsout
I love watching all types of styles.

Roy Jones- For his amazing speed and power and charisma.

MAB- Loved his ferocity and body punching.

Whitaker- Slick smooth defensive boxing.

Gatti- Not as skilled, but gave everything he had each time out.

Mel Taylor- Blinding speed and not afraid to mix it up.

Toney- The complete package.

Chavez Sr.- Methodical beatdowner, and killed the body.
and the NEW
I couldn't name one type of fighting style I love. I could probably put the fighters I like into 5 different categories and some fighters can fall into a couple of different categories:

1) The counter-puncher: Nonito Donaire, Floyd Mayweather Jr, Juan Manuel Marquez.
2) The flashy and fast fighter: Roy Jones Jr, Sugar Ray Leonard, Shane Mosley, Zab Judah.
3) The boxer-puncher: Ray Robinson, Oscar De La Hoya, Gamboa.
4) The defensive wizard: Pernell Whitaker, Floyd Mayweather Jr.
5) The warrior/pheonix: Arturo Gatti, Evander Holyfield.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 3 2011, 09:59 PM) *
For me, its more the matchup between two styles. Since the days of Ali/Frazier or Ali/Foreman, I've loved to watch the mesh between a boxer and a brawler/puncher. They make for the best fights, to me. I for one, would still love to see Floyd Mayweather against Antonio Margarito. I'd love to see how Larry Holmes prime would have dealt with prime George Foreman.

Nice post.

Ali is the greatest boxer I have ever seen. The Ali v Frazier trilogy is unparalleled. In Foreman v Frazier I, George was the most impressive force I believe has ever been in a boxing ring. I honestly could not believe it when Ali took out Foreman. That was the fight that cemented Ali as The Greatest, IMO; the ability to adapt.

As for your desire to see prime Larry Holmes v Foreman, IMO, Holmes finds a way. The closest it ever came to that was Holmes v Cooney. Many feel that Cooney was The Great White Hype and while it may have been true, it was for good reason. Cooney was a force to be reckoned with. It took everything that Holmes had to withstand Cooney. It is a historically underrated fight.

Which brings me to the subject of the thread. I enjoy all styles if implemented professionally. But my favorite style is the ability to stand in, make your opponent miss, jab stiff, bodywork, break em down and put em away or UD em. Also the ability to get off the canvass and wrest back control of a fight.

Larry Holmes is the quintessential embodiment of that style, IMO. Wilfred Benitez, James Toney, PBF and JMM are also decent examples of my favorite style.

Ali, SRL and Sweet Pea represent another favorite style of mine.

Hagler, Pac and SMartinez were/are exciting.

But, I love it all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.