Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins and Pascal II on May 21st?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://www.boxingscene.com/pascal-hopkins-...-play-21--35738

It seems that everything is set for Jean Pascal (26-1-1, 16 KOs) to defend his WBC/IBO light heavyweight titles in a rematch with Bernard Hopkins (51-5-2, 32 KOs) on May 21. They fought to controversial majority draw on December 18 in Quebec City. HBO has picked up the fight, where Showtime had televised the initial bout. The rematch may once again take place in Quebec.

"It's confirmed and it should take place on May 21," announced Pascal's promoter Yvon Michel, President of GYM. "The Showtime network also wanted the fight, but HBO was faster on the trigger. I know that Golden Boy Promotions have arranged everything with Hopkins and we on our side, we will do the same with Jean. Regarding the site, we are in discussions, but we are confident that this will take place in Quebec."

Regarding ex-beltholder Chad Dawson (29-1, 17 KOs), who has a contractual clause to get the first shot at Pascal [after the Hopkins fight], Michel says he is going to appear in the co-feature against Librado Andrade, or former champion Adrian Diaconu.

"HBO wanted to broadcast a fight between Jean and Dawson, but they preferred to see our boxer against Hopkins. Instead, Dawson will fight most likely on the undercard of Hopkins-Pascal. I can also confirm that it will against an opponent like Librado Andrade or Adrian Diaconu, two boxers who are well known here," Michel said.

If true, sounds like a good co-feature.

gravytrain
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 9 2011, 12:21 AM) *
thumbsdown_anim.gif
I much more intrigued by Pascal-Dawson II! Hopkins had his chance and couldn't get the victory, so he should go back to lining up...not Dawson! If this happens to go through and Hopkins happens to win he better give Dawson his shot!

If this is the unfortunate circumstance, I guess it's at least good to put Dawson on the under card against a solid opponent(s).

you serious? Dawson got his ass kicked. the only reason i'm not interested in Hopkins/Pascal II is because it's in Quebec and Hopkins will most likely lose or draw again despite clearly winning.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 8 2011, 11:21 PM) *
thumbsdown_anim.gif
I much more intrigued by Pascal-Dawson II! Hopkins had his chance and couldn't get the victory, so he should go back to lining up...not Dawson! If this happens to go through and Hopkins happens to win he better give Dawson his shot!

If this is the unfortunate circumstance, I guess it's at least good to put Dawson on the under card against a solid opponent(s).

hopkins has more claim to the title shot way more than dawson.... if dawson didnt have that bs rematch clause he would be at the back of the line after that whippin he got... hopkins got off the floor to dominate pascal... pascal hopkins 2 is the fight that makes all the sense in the world...
JLUVBABY
oh and too bad they are not facing dawson vs cloud on that undercard... lt heavy deserves a unified champion.... the winners could fight... but out of andrade and diacanu id rather see diacanu fight dawson on the under card...
STEVENSKI
Fuck the old cunt. I hope he gets jobbed again.
D-MARV
This sucks... Dawson should be fighting Pascal.
JD
I am fine with Pascal - Hopkins II, I just wish they were doing Dawson - Cloud as the co-feature.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 9 2011, 12:21 AM) *
thumbsdown_anim.gif

Hopkins got robbed and deserves the rematch. It should be Dawson had his shot and fucked it up so he needs to sit back and watch how it should be done.
Jack 1000
Yes, Hopkins had his shot and failed, as it's Pascal still holding the belt and not Hopkins. Hopkins was the challenger, fighting at the Champions hometown and gets dropped twice in the fight, which that alone isn't the greatest case already. Not sure why so many act so stunned that Hopkins didn't get the decision based on the circumstances in this fight. Also the word "robbery" is one of the loosest terms in boxing, as soon as a debatable fight comes along that doesn't match their own scorecard the guy got robbed.

Cosign! I still had Hopkins ahead by two points in the end though.

Jack
Method
I'm glad Hopkins is getting this shot because I thought he deserved the first, but also because even though Dawson contractually had a rematch clause, Hopkins ain't getting any younger. It would have been cheese to make him sit and wait (and age some more). Put him out of his misery or hand him your title, but don't cheese out like that.

Dawson got paid to step aside. No problem there. Happens all the time (well, considering the sport's history).

I don't know if Hopkins will fight Dawson or not (assuming, and that's an "if" he beats Pascal), because there just doesn't seem to be ANY money there for that fight. I still think Hopkins has an easier time with Dawson than he does w Pascal (I just think Pascal's hand-speed is the hardest thing to deal with. It gave Dawson fits. Hopkins didn't back pedal all night like Dawson did, and took more chances - hence getting hit more than we're used to seeing).
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 9 2011, 01:48 AM) *
Dawson was the Champion, Hopkins wasn't and also didn't have a rematch clause like Dawson did. I guess it also comes down to how you scored the fight or weather your a Hopkins fan. I happen to not only enjoy Dawson-Pascal fight more, based on how it stopped left me wanting to see a rematch even more.

too many of these fights have built in rematch clauses... ruiz and holyfield locked that belt up for damn near two years messing around with rematches... fighters should fight, if you get beat up to where its a no brainer there is no need to rematch... if its a fight like pascal and hopkins where theres an outrage as to a fighter being robbed... then rematch it only if the public demands it which i believe in this case there is legit reasoning for a rematch... champion or not dawson was soundly beaten in that fight... honestly i think dawson needs to beat someone of note first before being allowed another shot and let some of the other guys get their chance at that belt or like i said cloud is a guy with no opponent last i checked and the guy wants to fight...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ Feb 9 2011, 01:57 PM) *
I'm glad Hopkins is getting this shot because I thought he deserved the first, but also because even though Dawson contractually had a rematch clause, Hopkins ain't getting any younger. It would have been cheese to make him sit and wait (and age some more). Put him out of his misery or hand him your title, but don't cheese out like that.

Dawson got paid to step aside. No problem there. Happens all the time (well, considering the sport's history).

I don't know if Hopkins will fight Dawson or not (assuming, and that's an "if" he beats Pascal), because there just doesn't seem to be ANY money there for that fight. I still think Hopkins has an easier time with Dawson than he does w Pascal (I just think Pascal's hand-speed is the hardest thing to deal with. It gave Dawson fits. Hopkins didn't back pedal all night like Dawson did, and took more chances - hence getting hit more than we're used to seeing).

i honestly believe hopkins beats pascal pretty handidly this time around.. wouldnt be surprised to see him stop pascal this time... thats assuming he is still fighting on the same level as their last fight... he can very well age like shit over night... if we get the same hopkins even a slightly improved pascal loses... but what i think happens is pascal is still mind fucked from the first fight and once reminded who he's in the ring with revert back to what he was the first fight... even less of that version... again assuming we get the same hop im sure he starts earlier (more warming up in the locker room before the fight and starts earlier) amd cruises to a ud or a lter round stoppage this time.... rather pascal gets stopped or not will depend on where his head is at... if he's still spooked like i think he became *and still is) in the mid to later rounds of that fight he wont see the final bell... hop is an old dogg and will smell fresh meat all over this dude if thats the case...
BrutalBodyShots
Hopkins vs Pascal II should look almost identical to the original, just without Hopkins getting knocked down. That said, I think he takes a 117-111 or 116-112 type decision.
D-MARV
Well... If Dawson is receiving step aside money for this fight then I guess it's O.K. I think that Pascal-Hopkins II will be a very competitive fight but I think Pascal throws his hands a little bit more in this fight. Tough to call really. If it's in Canada, I think Pascal gets the nod.
gravytrain
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 9 2011, 05:59 PM) *
Hopkins vs Pascal II should look almost identical to the original, just without Hopkins getting knocked down. That said, I think he takes a 117-111 or 116-112 type decision.

i think he doesn't get knocked down but takes it by SD despite winning pretty clearly.
Method
"Never seen so many jump off a bandwagon quicker than Dawson's"

I was never on that guy's bandwagon. If anything, I was more impressed with the last two rounds he fought against Pascal than I was prior to anything he ever had done to date. He looked gun-shy vs Pascal for the first 9 1/2, but came on in the final 1 1/2. I maintain that Pascal deserved a clear UD as a result of a VERY FORTUNATE cuts stoppage, and I also maintain that, to these eyes, anyway, Pascal was on his way to being stopped.
blackbelt2003
Seems to me that Hops should get the rematch first, being as he DREW and Dawson LOST.

I'm of the mindset that a draw should always be followed up with a rematch, draws seem like unsettled business, especially in title fights.

Black
BrutalBodyShots
Is Hopkins really considering the rematch being in Canada? Poor move in my view.

JD
I don't really see how he has a choice.

The fight will not sell in the States, whereas in Quebec City they know the fight will sell out in no time. In truth, for it to be viable, the fight has to be in Canada.
Method
QUOTE (JD @ Feb 10 2011, 01:01 PM) *
I don't really see how he has a choice.

The fight will not sell in the States, whereas in Quebec City they know the fight will sell out in no time. In truth, for it to be viable, the fight has to be in Canada.

Yeah. Pretty basic. Not the choice preference, but no choice.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Method @ Feb 10 2011, 01:53 PM) *
Yeah. Pretty basic. Not the choice preference, but no choice.

I get that... I just wouldn't be all to excited about that fact if I were in Hopkins' shoes.

Hopkins didn't get a fair shake the first time he fought Pascal in Canada... why would he the second time? Hopkins did all but knock the guy out the first time; I feel like he's going to need the KO to get the win. Kinda shitty.

It would be nice to see Hopkins get the benefit of the doubt in close rounds in the rematch due to the outcome of the original... a few fights come to mind like Lewis/Holyfield I and II and Barrera/Morales I and II where the first fight had a controversial outcome, so in the rematch the guy that got jobbed the first time around seemed to get the benefit of the doubt in close rounds.

But then again, using Hopkins himself as an example in the Taylor fights... a lot of people thought he deserved the decision in the original and in the rematch we saw basically the same thing happen again rather than Hopkins get the benefit of the doubt in the close rounds.

I believe that due to the location of the fight the latter would be more likely to happen, so I feel bad for Hopkins in this case. It would be like Holyfield taking a rematch against Valuev and fighting him outside of the US again.
Method
Pretty valid. That said, take away the two kd's, and Hopkins DID win the first one fairly easy, on enemy turf. I dunno. Your point is valid.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Method @ Feb 10 2011, 02:57 PM) *
Pretty valid. That said, take away the two kd's, and Hopkins DID win the first one fairly easy, on enemy turf. I dunno. Your point is valid.

True... and I don't think Hopkins will allow himself to get KD again, so the cards should be more in his favor the second time around. With him certainly not getting any younger, I'd just like to see him get a fair shake.
Method
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 10 2011, 03:04 PM) *
True... and I don't think Hopkins will allow himself to get KD again, so the cards should be more in his favor the second time around. With him certainly not getting any younger, I'd just like to see him get a fair shake.

Truth be told, he doesnt need to be so aggressive as he was early on in the first go round, and, ASSUMING he doesnt get kd at all, he wont have to open up so reckleesly in the final stranza (or two) because he won't need to make up the extra points...at least not due to kd's. That's all assumptive.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 9 2011, 10:36 PM) *
Same can be said about Hopkins though! Dawson too deserves a rematch, Hopkins needs to sit back and watch how not to get knocked down in a fight is done! Sure many thought Hopkins should have won the fight but didn't which is unfair, but he had 12 rounds to do so. Where as Dawson was coming on late, while Pascal was tiring and getting buzzed late in the fight that was prematurely stopped by an accidental head clash which is also unfair. Only thing is despite me scoring the fight for Hopkins, I don't think it's a robbery.

That's just unfortunate that we got 3 rematches from fighters that stylistically were wrong and provided ugly fights. I don't look at is as messing around, if fights between the top guys don't get settled, so they should have rematches, just like I don't see Marquez-Vasquez as messing around. I guess when Ruiz is involved in a rubber match, it's not really appertaining..but it doesn't mean it's not warranted! I wouldn't call Pascal-Dawson a no brainier at all either.

Dawson was down on the cards, but I don't think he was soundly beat or even close to being out of the fight at all. I think that's pretty rich to say Dawson needs to beat someone of note to get another shot, as I doubt that would be the case if Hopkins wasn't in the picture. If you rather see the Hopkins fight fair enough, but to say Dawson should give other guys a chance at the belt..I hardly think Hopkins is a guy to have the other rules apply for him. Champion or not? I think that's extremely relevant that Chad Dawson was the Light Heavyweight champ and looses his belt on the cards due to an accidental head clash, and now Hopkins as two straight shots in a row at the titles instead? Why because he is getting old? Who cares about his age, he should be congradulated and praised for that...not get a special pensioners consideration. Now Dawson should fight Cloud but Hopkins shouldn't? Hopkins has never wanted to face Dawson himself, nor Cloud, but it's both them very fighters that should line up for him? Dawson being the ex-champ should not be lining up to face Cloud instead of Hopkins, who has only had 3 or so fights at Light Heavyweight?

Both Dawson and Hopkins deserve rematches and I think both a top quality fights but I really don't see any of reasonings yourself and others bring up are valid enough as to why Hopkins should deserve a rematch over Dawson.

Never seen so many jump off a bandwagon quicker than Dawson's and I know many are high on Hopkins and are bitter on the last fight so I can see why people are excusing the situation. I think a lot of this discussion comes down to how close you saw both fights and weather your a Hopkins fan. Put all the discussion aside, I'm just happened to be more excited over a Dawson rematch apposed to a Hopkins rematch.

come on viper... these guys lose their titles in a fight they visibly lost.... its no reason for a rematch... (dawson visibly lost and it wasnt that close) their are other guys waiting rather deservant or not for their shot... if the fight was close as in razor thin... then ok.. yeah i can see a rematch... dawson got beat in that fight and it was no question as to who won that fight... that doesnt in my mind warrant a rematch... pascal moved on to hopkins and while having a good start got systematically owned and defeated in that fight yet recieved a draw.. there is room for question as to hopkins being the the winner as opposed to the recipient of a draw... hopkins deserves the rematch if ever there was one warranted... thats why i feel hopkins deserves the rematch and dawson needs to fight someone and earn his shot at who ever wins.... thats how it used to be... champion loses and he at least needed to fight soomeone of note to show he was still even worthy of another shot... so are you saying dawson deserves a rematch because he's younger and maybe had an off night?.. just asking... man that kinda stuff keeps the top of the division all muddled up for months sometimes more than a year... i'm not jumping off of dawsons bandwagon at all... i love to see him fight but i know when a fighter loses what he SHOULD do to get another shot... he needs to reprove himself...
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Method @ Feb 10 2011, 03:29 PM) *
Truth be told, he doesnt need to be so aggressive as he was early on in the first go round, and, ASSUMING he doesnt get kd at all, he wont have to open up so reckleesly in the final stranza (or two) because he won't need to make up the extra points...at least not due to kd's. That's all assumptive.

I actually thought the 12th round was closer than it should have based on Hopkins being a bit too aggressive/reckless. I know one or two of the official judges scored the 12th for Pascal, and it was just because Hopkins allowed it to be a bit more competitive rather than near shut outs like many of the rounds prior due to him taking risks trying to get Pascal out of there. Ironically, if Hopkins had tried LESS in the 12th and just went out there and boxed and clinched the round easy like he had done earlier and he got the round on all 3 judges cards, I believe he would have been awarded the official decision.
Lil-lightsout
I am so glad to get this fight for a few reasons.

It is nice Hopkins does not have to wait around so long after the first one and get any older which could affect his performance.

I thought Pascal would edge Hopkins the first time, it still amazes me how little Pascal did even after dropping Hopkins twice. It's like it scared Pascal cause Hopkins got right up smiling after the KD's and still put pressure on Pascal. It's like he took his heart.

I give all the credit to Bernard for the "win", but for some reason I think Pascal definitely did not perform up to his standards. This is a great test for him to see if the first fight was a fluke, and he can make a statement this time.

Knowing Pascal dropped him twice, WILL Jean be more aggressive and try and hurt him more and try and take him out? If so will that cost him by getting countered and hurt himself? Also Hops knowing he was dropped twice, will that affect him mentally and be more aware of keeping his hands high and more aware of Pascals punches? I am sure he does not want to make those same mistakes again.

I thought the first fight was pretty good, and this time Pascal gets a chance to erase his dismal performance. Will he go for greatness, or will Bernard be just too good for him again and dominate him. I hope Pascal goes for it even if it costs him getting stopped in the process. It does nothing for his reputation by sitting back the whole fight doing nothing and getting pounded to the body and outboxed.

Will Hopkins be as motivated knowing how many rounds he controlled Pascal and won them? Will he over look him?

I really kind of think we will see a better mentally prepared Pascal who can win this fight, though a close one. BUT I know it's a stretch and I would not be surprised to see Hopkins dominate him mentally and in the ring and maybe even stop him late.

Either way I am pretty excited for this fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 10 2011, 11:19 PM) *
Well that's the biggest factor in this discussion. With or without Hopkins in the picture you don't believe Dawson deserves a rematch where as I think he has a strong case!! I can totally see where your reasonings come from as you felt Hopkins fight was close and Dawson wasn't. Not only do I think Dawson deserves a rematch I also think he is more deserving over Hopkins. Pascal was a head on both mine and the judges scorecard but I don't think by much at all, the nature of the fight was clearly not over as the fight was never even completed, where as the Hopkins bout was. The fact you don't think the Pascal-Dawson fight was close or that Dawson doesn't deserve the rematch all together is a reason we may not see eye to eye on this.

Put the Pascal fights aside, and Hopkins Middleweight reign aside, I think it's Bernard who has had 3 or so fight only in that division needs to earn his shot rather than Dawson. Dawson not only is a natural Light Heavyweight who has fought his entire career at that division, he was considered the man at 175 and has had a much more legit resume at Light Heavyweight than Hopkins does.
Only reason Hopkins is getting a rematch over Dawson is because of Hopkins name/rep and of course money! Other than most being very critical of Dawson and many rightfully so being high on Hopkins, I don't think there is enough reasons to have Hopkins have a shot over Dawson.

People bring Hopkins's age as a reason to why he shouldn't have to wait but Dawson should, but I really don't think that should be a factor one bit. None of my reasons come down to either fighters age as I do think that's irrelevant to this matter. Do I think he had an off night? Maybe not..however I do think based on the first fight (last couple rounds is critical) Dawson is capable of making slight adjustments and he will make it a much closer fight from the start where I think he is able to avenge his loss for sure. All he needs to do is let his hands go a little more and he can get the victory by stoppage or on the cards.

Will the division get muddled up if there was a third fight with Hopkins-Pascal? I wouldn't think so, nor would I if Dawson was to get the rematch instead or even a third fight. Because at the end of the day it's not like either fights are unworthy or bad fights. It's not like Dawson is some bum or journeyman, he was the Champion of the division who was highly regarded and happen to loose his first professional fight in an intereesting fight than ended in a head clash. I think Dawson's resume is more then enough to show weather he is worthy of a rematch or not over Hopkins.

so basically what you are saying is that hopkins is less deservant of a rematch with pascal because he's only had 3 or 4 fights at lt heavy as opposed to dawson making a career at that weight?.. if so i cant say i buy into that thought process.. how can a guy who, in most peoples eyes, win a fight only to get a draw be just as worthy of a rematch as the guy before him who got soundly beaten?... yes dawson is an ex champion at but so is hopkins.. and for the record im not bringing up hopkins age cuzz i agree with you his age doesnt matter... what it seems that you are citing is that dawson in the last couple of rounds came on and if he gets a rematch can capatalize on what he did those last few rounds to gain a win... i might agree but fact is he had those last few rounds and still lost hands down... hopkins had about as bad a start as you could ask for and came back and won the fight (even though he didnt get the decision)... what im saying is and the way my thought process is going with this is... how can a fighter that is beaten soundly (and coming on late in the fight or not dawson lost there is no question about it...) can be in the same running of a fighter that fights the champ and by most accounts win the fight?... that doesnt make sense... the two fighters dont compare at that point... not at that given time rather dawson was coming back in his fight or not... at the end of the day he didnt have what it took to handle the business that night and hopkins did... (and real quick dawsons resume could have the seven physical wonders of the world on it and the fact still remains he was soundly beaten in his fight with pascal where hopkins in most eyes won this fight vs pascal)... dawson lost, and was declared the loser... how does that constitute a rematch over a guy who comes along right after and beats the guy you lost to?) as far as the division being muddled... yes sir this situation is about to muddle the contenders waiting for a chance big time... cuzz they have to wait for hopkins to get his rematch... the winner gets dawson... then the winner of that one probably fights the loser of hopkins pascall before business takes place as usual again in that particular orginasationals ranking bracket.. just sayin that belt could be tied up through this year and a good piece of next year especially if pascal pulls out a contrtaversial decision this time around (again)...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 10 2011, 11:47 PM) *
I am so glad to get this fight for a few reasons.

It is nice Hopkins does not have to wait around so long after the first one and get any older which could affect his performance.

I thought Pascal would edge Hopkins the first time, it still amazes me how little Pascal did even after dropping Hopkins twice. It's like it scared Pascal cause Hopkins got right up smiling after the KD's and still put pressure on Pascal. It's like he took his heart.

I give all the credit to Bernard for the "win", but for some reason I think Pascal definitely did not perform up to his standards. This is a great test for him to see if the first fight was a fluke, and he can make a statement this time.

Knowing Pascal dropped him twice, WILL Jean be more aggressive and try and hurt him more and try and take him out? If so will that cost him by getting countered and hurt himself? Also Hops knowing he was dropped twice, will that affect him mentally and be more aware of keeping his hands high and more aware of Pascals punches? I am sure he does not want to make those same mistakes again.

I thought the first fight was pretty good, and this time Pascal gets a chance to erase his dismal performance. Will he go for greatness, or will Bernard be just too good for him again and dominate him. I hope Pascal goes for it even if it costs him getting stopped in the process. It does nothing for his reputation by sitting back the whole fight doing nothing and getting pounded to the body and outboxed.

Will Hopkins be as motivated knowing how many rounds he controlled Pascal and won them? Will he over look him?

I really kind of think we will see a better mentally prepared Pascal who can win this fight, though a close one. BUT I know it's a stretch and I would not be surprised to see Hopkins dominate him mentally and in the ring and maybe even stop him late.

Either way I am pretty excited for this fight.

Those are all interesting questions that make the rematch intriguing.

I think what surprised Pascal the most was that Hopkins was able to land clean shots against him. He probably knew going into the fight that Hopkins was going to be hard to hit but, but I doubt he expected to be hurt by his punches. He actually looked looser and relaxed against Dawson, who was only landing the occasional jab and left to the body. Hopkins actually hit him hard enough downstairs to get his respect and the situation got worse when he began to land straight rights.

Pascal is in a bit of a conundrum: Either he starts out fast and loses something in the later rounds, or he starts out at his usual pace, which favors Hopkins. Pascal did have his best moments when Hopkins rushed him and he was able to counter with left hooks so maybe sticking to the usual pace is the best thing he can do. It might also serve him well to go the body, although if he couldn't do it in the first fight how will he be able in this one?
Method
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 10 2011, 05:11 PM) *
I actually thought the 12th round was closer than it should have based on Hopkins being a bit too aggressive/reckless. I know one or two of the official judges scored the 12th for Pascal, and it was just because Hopkins allowed it to be a bit more competitive rather than near shut outs like many of the rounds prior due to him taking risks trying to get Pascal out of there. Ironically, if Hopkins had tried LESS in the 12th and just went out there and boxed and clinched the round easy like he had done earlier and he got the round on all 3 judges cards, I believe he would have been awarded the official decision.

Exactly. That was exactly my point. He was very sloppy in the 12th, and it was likely due to the fact that he assumed he had to just let them go as a result of the score, venue, etc. Just as you said, had he kept disciplined, he'd have taken the round on all cards and clinched the round.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.