Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Morales vs Maidana?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
Juan Marquez has decided not to go with it by the looks of it.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/maidana-mo...-imminent-75103

The possibility exists that in the next few hours a fight between the three-time world champion Erik “Terrible” Morales and former WBA interim world champion Marcos “El Chino” Maidana will be officially announced for April 9 in Las Vegas. The bout would be a Golden Boy Promotions televised by HBO. After WBA/WBO lightweight world champion Juan Manuel Marquez decided to pass on the fight with Morales, Golden Boy Promotions immediately began to seek quality opponents. Sources say it is likely that Morales-Maidana would be for the WBA interim super lightweight belt.

Morales apparently wants Maidana as well, and this is what I read a few days ago.

Juan Manuel Marquez will not fight Erik Morales on a pay-per-view show April 9 in Las Vegas, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said.

Schaefer would say only that Marquez “decided to wait” and pursue other options. The Mexican boxing icons, who have not faced one another, had been negotiating for several weeks.

Morales will still fight on the card and has his eye on a particular opponent.

“The one guy Morales wants – he’s begging us for him – is Marcos Maidana,” Schaefer said. “The WBA is going to elevate Amir Khan to ‘Super Champion.’ That fight (Morales-Maidana) would be for the (‘Regular’) WBA title.

“I asked Erik why he wants Maidana. He thinks he had the technical skills to beat Maidana. We’re working on it. We’ll see. It would be a war.”

Schaefer also said he is “finalizing” a deal to have Robert Guerrero face Michael Katsidis in a lightweight bout on the card. Guerrero and Katsidis were scheduled to fight on a March 5 card but Katsidis pulled out because of the flooding in his native Australia.

Also, a fight between Winky Wright and Matthew Macklin is confirmed.

Thoughts?

I think Erik may get stopped. Don't think he would have the power up here to put Maidana away.
salvador
What I like most about it is that HBO is obviously a fan of Maidana.

This will be a sad night for Morales. I always say it, but I hope Morales hasn't pissed away his money, but I can't think of another reason for him to take this fight.

The CEO
So I see both Khan and Maidana are going backwards...lol...those two have become as overrated as their fight...

Morales doesn't have the power to literally put him away, Fitz, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets a ref stoppage...several barrages of technical punches landing could add up and warrant it...there's a huge gulf in class there, along with their respective ring ages....
Mean Mister Mustard
How would Morales keep Maidana off him? He doesn't have the power nor the legs to stay away from him for 12 rounds.
The CEO
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 10 2011, 09:43 AM) *
How would Morales keep Maidana off him? He doesn't have the power nor the legs to stay away from him for 12 rounds.

IF he has enough gusto, with his jabs and straight rights...he still has the IQ and technique...his lack of movement and willingness to war will hurt him here...if he can keep landing on the button when Maidana is doing his wild haymaker rushes, the former might get discouraged and wilt...Morales needs to make sure his conditioning is the best it can be...

All that being said, Maidana should be the favorite and definitely SHOULD win...but like I said...there's a gulf in class here, and with enough vitality, Morales could be victorious.
blackbelt2003
Not a bad fight, but Morales at jr welter is HORRIBLE. Get him down to lightweight if he's serious about being in title contention, Morales-Katsidis would be fun.

Or how about putting him in with the IBF champ Miguel Vasquez? Put Barrera in with Soto, get the winners to face off and then throw Marquez in the mix to unify the belts. Quality set of pairings, there.

Why is he insistent on fighting at 140? Can he not get his fat ass down to 135 any more?

Black
BrutalBodyShots
Terrible matchup for El Terrible.

Maidana has been hit A LOT and never been stopped, so I see no reason Morales would be the first to do so especially at 140.

This fight will 100% come down to durability and resiliency, something that Maidana at 27 years old and about half the fights of Morales has a clear advantage in.

Morales doesn't have the legs at this stage (or weight) to box for 36 minutes and will be forced into those "give and take" exchanges where Maidana will hurt him and finish the exchanges the stronger fighter. Morales will then go back to technical boxing and try to keep Maidana off of him with the jab and 1-2's. As the fight goes on, Morales will slow more and more giving Maidana more chances to exchange and land his best shots... which unfortunately in my eyes should be enough to stop Morales in about 8 or 9 rounds.

Maxy
Sadly the fight is a mismatch right now. I have no idea why Morales would want to take this fight and cannot see him going the distance, let alone winning. Shit, is he so fat now that he can't even make 135? This will be Morales last fight. I feel for the fella.

Anyway, good undercard with Macklin vs Winky, Katsidis vs Guererro and James Kirkland featuring also.
Nay_Sayer
If Morales is 75% of what he once was and can resist the urge to go to war - he should be able to outbox Maidana. Like the CEO said, there is a gulf in class here.

I just hope Morales still has the legs to move for 12 rounds...
gravytrain
I think this is a total mismatch and Maidana is going to punish him.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Feb 10 2011, 11:49 AM) *
Not a bad fight, but Morales at jr welter is HORRIBLE. Get him down to lightweight if he's serious about being in title contention, Morales-Katsidis would be fun.

Or how about putting him in with the IBF champ Miguel Vasquez? Put Barrera in with Soto, get the winners to face off and then throw Marquez in the mix to unify the belts. Quality set of pairings, there.

Why is he insistent on fighting at 140? Can he not get his fat ass down to 135 any more?

Black

Morales' first choice isn't this at 140, he wants to fight JMM foir his 135 lb. strap but Marquez wants to either wait out his contract with GBP so he can get another shot at Manny or doesn't want to give Morales a payday after feeling like he was frozen out of the big fights back in the day.

I'd much rather see him at 135 as well but the Maidana fight isn't unwinnable for EM if he uses his boxing skills and doesn't try to go toe to toe with Marcos.
JLUVBABY
i hate to see these fighters stay this long... maidana is gonna brutalize morales... sad fight if its made...
Michigan Assassin
ESPN has is on their website with quotes from Schaefer saying its signed sealed and delivered.

Prety good card attached to it to. Guerrero v Katsidis, Winky v Macklin and Kirkland returning v TBA

I like this card and I'm not as quick to write of Morales' chances in this fight. Maidana will be the strong favorite, as he should be, but EM will make it interesting.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Feb 10 2011, 03:21 PM) *
If Morales is 75% of what he once was and can resist the urge to go to war - he should be able to outbox Maidana. Like the CEO said, there is a gulf in class here.

Morales isn't 75% of what he once was. His prime was 10-11 years ago and he's taken a lot of punishment and been stopped multiple times during his decline. And "resisting" the urge to go to war is the least of his problems... it's that he's not going to have a choice and will be FORCED to go to war... and it'll be against a tough as nails, durable guy that's been at 140 his entire career that just fought a near even fight with one of the top guys in the division.

QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Feb 10 2011, 03:21 PM) *
I just hope Morales still has the legs to move for 12 rounds...

He doesn't. Not against a guy that applies pressure for 12 rounds at 140 pounds.
JLUVBABY
spot on brutal... very well said...
BrutalBodyShots
Just to reiterate, Morales will be fighting 4 divisions above his prime against a guy in his prime class.

Kinda like Barrera fighting 4 divisions above his prime against Khan.
Fitz
At least the card isn't looking too bad.

• Robert Guerrero, a former featherweight and junior lightweight titlist, and Australian action star Michael Katsidis will meet in the co-feature matching lightweight contenders.

• Middleweight Winky Wright will face Matthew Macklin of Great Britain in a previously announced bout.

• Junior middleweight James Kirkland, one of boxing's hottest rising stars before his career was sidetracked by an 18-month prison stint, will open the card against an opponent to be named. Kirkland's fight is contingent upon winning and not being injured in a fight scheduled for March 5, his first fight since being released from a halfway house where he recently completed his sentence.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 10 2011, 06:43 PM) *
At least the card isn't looking too bad.

• Robert Guerrero, a former featherweight and junior lightweight titlist, and Australian action star Michael Katsidis will meet in the co-feature matching lightweight contenders.

• Middleweight Winky Wright will face Matthew Macklin of Great Britain in a previously announced bout.

• Junior middleweight James Kirkland, one of boxing's hottest rising stars before his career was sidetracked by an 18-month prison stint, will open the card against an opponent to be named. Kirkland's fight is contingent upon winning and not being injured in a fight scheduled for March 5, his first fight since being released from a halfway house where he recently completed his sentence.

as long as the card is not crazy priced this is the kind of card i'd buy for the undercard and hope the main even has value.. ive bought ppv's for certain undercard fights before cuzz i knew i wouldnt see them on hbo or what have you...
Lil-lightsout
Man I have not seen Morales fight in years, but I can not imagine an even older bigger version of himself beating Maidana. On paper this is a big mismatch, and I also believe it will be in the ring too. Maidana is just too big and strong for Morales to keep him off. I see Maidana winning by a brutal early to mid rounds stoppage, Erik is no defensive wizard in there. I will enjoy watching this fight, never liked Morales.
TheFonz
I actually give Morales a shot in this one. I think he can stay in the pocket because Maidana throws wide winging shots that can be countered easily.
BrutalBodyShots
I don't think any Morales at the point of the Raheem fight or after beats Maidana... so IMO any Morales of the last 5-6 years wouldn't have enough left to take on a guy like Maidana in his prime.

Jack 1000
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 10 2011, 11:13 AM) *
Terrible match-up for El Terrible.

Maidana has been hit A LOT and never been stopped, so I see no reason Morales would be the first to do so especially at 140.

This fight will 100% come down to durability and resiliency, something that Maidana at 27 years old and about half the fights of Morales has a clear advantage in.

Morales doesn't have the legs at this stage (or weight) to box for 36 minutes and will be forced into those "give and take" exchanges where Maidana will hurt him and finish the exchanges the stronger fighter. Morales will then go back to technical boxing and try to keep Maidana off of him with the jab and 1-2's. As the fight goes on, Morales will slow more and more giving Maidana more chances to exchange and land his best shots... which unfortunately in my eyes should be enough to stop Morales in about 8 or 9 rounds.

Agree,

I seriously think Morales could get fucking killed in this fight. Age, ring rust, unnatural at this weight, it is one negative after another. What evidence is there after Erik's comeback that he could do well against a vicious fighter like Maidana? This will be brutal. Maybe HBO is trying to re-create the Morales-Barrera series of great fights. But Erik is too old and shopworn. His body can't take it anymore.

HBO should not even televise this. It's that bad of a mismatch. Maidana inside of 5 painfully one-sided rounds.

Jack
BrutalBodyShots
Anyone know why Marquez decided not to go ahead with the Morales fight? I think it would be a great "stay busy" fight and one where he would look great in, possibly putting himself in a better position for another Pacquiao showdown. I would think a fight with Morales would bring him more money than almost any other no name, easy fight for him because Morales is still a name.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 11 2011, 01:26 PM) *
Agree,

I seriously think Morales could get fucking killed in this fight. Age, ring rust, unnatural at this weight, it is one negative after another. What evidence is there after Erik's comeback that he could do well against a vicious fighter like Maidana? This will be brutal. Maybe HBO is trying to re-create the Morales-Barrera series of great fights. But Erik is too old and shopworn. His body can't take it anymore.

HBO should not even televise this. It's that bad of a mismatch. Maidana inside of 5 painfully one-sided rounds.

Jack

i agree, this is a really bad case of an inhouse fight and it has no business being televised as a main event. i think this is going to be a fight for boxing fans depending on the programming before and after the fight, if this really is just for boxing fans it's a disappointing match up between someone already at the top of his division and a old veteran that isn't going to be stepping stone for him.
gravytrain
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 11 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Anyone know why Marquez decided not to go ahead with the Morales fight? I think it would be a great "stay busy" fight and one where he would look great in, possibly putting himself in a better position for another Pacquiao showdown. I would think a fight with Morales would bring him more money than almost any other no name, easy fight for him because Morales is still a name.

there's something about it on the main page, it's because the deal includes a contract extension. Pac is a big fight for Marquez and it's only happening if he's a free agent, Morales sure as hell isn't going to mean much for him either. i don't know about you guys but i'm not extending my contract and passing up a Pac fight to get Morales, he really doesn't have very many money fights out there anyway so it's Pac or Mayweather and Mayweather already dominated him.

personally i think Marquez would have a decent scrap with Pac at 147 since that's where the fight would take place. i see this fight not being controversial and a clear victory for Pac but Marquez is one of the best opponents out there that has a realistic chance of getting a Pac fight, it sure as hell is better than a Marg or Cotto rematch.
Fitz
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 12 2011, 07:19 AM) *

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Feb 12 2011, 07:53 AM) *
there's something about it on the main page, it's because the deal includes a contract extension. Pac is a big fight for Marquez and it's only happening if he's a free agent, Morales sure as hell isn't going to mean much for him either. i don't know about you guys but i'm not extending my contract and passing up a Pac fight to get Morales, he really doesn't have very many money fights out there anyway so it's Pac or Mayweather and Mayweather already dominated him.

personally i think Marquez would have a decent scrap with Pac at 147 since that's where the fight would take place. i see this fight not being controversial and a clear victory for Pac but Marquez is one of the best opponents out there that has a realistic chance of getting a Pac fight, it sure as hell is better than a Marg or Cotto rematch.

Yep, that's pretty much what I heard. He prefers to wait and be a free agent. What Mosley has done.
Mean Mister Mustard
Man, fighters are dropping out of GBP just to get a fight with Pacquiao. GBP better pray that Pacquiao doesn't target Ortiz or Khan, otherwise they might jump ship too.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 11 2011, 05:01 PM) *
Man, fighters are dropping out of GBP just to get a fight with Pacquiao. GBP better pray that Pacquiao doesn't target Ortiz or Khan, otherwise they might jump ship too.

i was thinking about that, Arum is probably laughing his ass off right now too.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I like Erik Morales but I don't like this fight for Morales. He is delusional if he thinks he can win his one. The dude is shot, completely shot, and hardly any surprise considering the wars he been in.

Eeking out UD's over journeymen fighters is one thing, tackling the Maidana's of the world is another. I don't see him getting past 3, mainly due to his inability to turn down a brawl. His warrior instincts will not serve him well in this fight.
Big Slim Sweet
I think Morales makes this a fight for 4-5 rounds but once he begins to tire Maidana puts it on him in a big bad way. Maidana KO 9.

Interesting undercard though. Could be worth buying.
and the NEW
I've already placed a pretty large bet on Madaina for this one.

Unfortunate to have to bet against a ring legend like Morales, who was a much better fighter than Madaina at his weight and in his prime.
caneman
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Feb 23 2011, 07:52 PM) *
I've already placed a pretty large bet on Madaina for this one.

Unfortunate to have to bet against a ring legend like Morales, who was a much better fighter than Madaina at his weight and in his prime.

I hear you there...I really hate to see Morales even take this fight. I just don't wanna see him take a beating! It really sucks!
BrutalBodyShots
What are the odds on this matchup? I have not heard or checked yet.

I'd put Maidana at a solid -250 or -300 to beat Morales. The odds of him stopping Morales wouldn't be much tighter than that and the over/under would probably be around the midpoint of the fight.

Due to Morales being a "name" and Maidana being a relative unknown outside of hardcore fans like us, I could see a lot of people foolishly laying money on Morales bringing the line on Maidana in to like -180 or something worth betting on.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Feb 23 2011, 11:31 PM) *
What are the odds on this matchup? I have not heard or checked yet.

I'd put Maidana at a solid -250 or -300 to beat Morales. The odds of him stopping Morales wouldn't be much tighter than that and the over/under would probably be around the midpoint of the fight.

Due to Morales being a "name" and Maidana being a relative unknown outside of hardcore fans like us, I could see a lot of people foolishly laying money on Morales bringing the line on Maidana in to like -180 or something worth betting on.

I am no betting man, but damn I would think the odds would be more like 10-1 at least. Even with Morales having a name, I can not imagine anyone thinking he has a shot. Can people be that foolish? I mean who did he beat of note in years? Just look at his weight he is fighting at too. Man if I had some balls I would bet my house on Maidana. But my luck Erik would win by some freakish accident.
TheFonz
I have a feeling Morales is going to win this fight. I have flashbacks of how Kahn put Maidana down with that body punch and think to my self if it where Morales instead of Kahn, the fight would have been finished right then and there.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Feb 24 2011, 09:30 AM) *
I have a feeling Morales is going to win this fight. I have flashbacks of how Kahn put Maidana down with that body punch and think to my self if it where Morales instead of Kahn, the fight would have been finished right then and there.

How do you figure Morales at 140 would have finished that fight right there?
Snoop
Where the hell are you guys finding these odds?
Col Reb
I wish Marquez were fighting Morales instead of Maidana. Now we'll never get to see those two face each other. Maidana will send Morales back into retirement.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Col Reb @ Feb 24 2011, 02:37 PM) *
I wish Marquez were fighting Morales instead of Maidana. Now we'll never get to see those two face each other. Maidana will send Morales back into retirement.

Morales should be fighting someone like Vivian Harris. JMM should be fighting Maidana.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.