Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does the winner of Showtimes Bantamweight tourny deserve a shot at Donaire vs Montiel winner?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BlueMercury
Abner Mares in a recent video interview said that it is everyone's dream in the tournament to first win the tournament, and then get a shot at either Fernando Montiel or Nonito Doniare.

I agree that the tourney winner does deserve a shot at either Donaire or Montiel but I don't see Bob Arum agreeing to have either of his Top Rank guys fight Mares (Golden Boy) if he wins the tournament.

Abner Mares private training / interview:
JLUVBABY
this is going to be an interesting year for golden boy... oscars clients are dropping like 4 flat tires on a cadillac... lol... does mare follow the other top guns to make his mega fight?...
BlueMercury
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 15 2011, 12:33 AM) *
this is going to be an interesting year for golden boy... oscars clients are dropping like 4 flat tires on a cadillac... lol... does mare follow the other top guns to make his mega fight?...

LMAO!!!
and the NEW
I think the winner should get a shot, unfortunately I think Donaire is on a different level and would beat either Mares or Agbeko handily.
salvador
I don't think Arum would think twice about putting Donaire in with him because even though Golden Boy would make a little money on the fight, Mares would be worth much less as an attraction after the beating he'll take.
and the NEW
I don't think Arum will move him up that quick.

He could still fight both Moreno and Kameda which would be as good as either Mares or Agbeko to me.

Not to mention, with Moreno, he picks up the WBA belt.
and the NEW
Yeh, but what Arum says and what Arum does are two different things. His just playing games with the other promotors. Ultimately, if Donaire wants to be undisputed champ, this is what he will do. So he can fight Moreno and then the winner of the tournament and then move up and take Vasquez.

BTW, I am pretty certain Arum is referring to THIS Vasquez: http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=...8&cat=boxer

He is undefeated and the WBO champ, and will most likely have Arce on the resume by the time Nonito gets to him.

IMHO, this is the way it will play out rather than him moving straight up.

But like you, if Arum moves Donaire straight up, I will be PIZZED!!!

and the NEW
Yep, completely understand.

Boxing promotors in general are just shocking.
gravytrain
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Feb 23 2011, 07:51 PM) *
Yep, completely understand.

Boxing promotors in general are just shocking.

not shocking really, they're always first and foremost about themselves. they want to do what's going to make them the most money.
and the NEW
Yes, I should have just said they are 'shit'.

Didn't mean shocking literally.
kidbazooka1
Abner and Agbeko might be the two best bantamweights once Donaire moves up but right now i don't see either guy doing anything to him.
Col Reb
I wish Darch could get a second crack at Donaire. That would be fun to watch, but I know Vic needs to put together a string of wins.
SmartyBeardo
Yes . . . and fuck The Organ Grinding Circus Master.
and the NEW
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 24 2011, 11:50 PM) *
I love Vic, and Vic would take that fight in a heart beat. He fears nobody. But I think Donaire is past that now and from the sounds of Arum, they are looking at bigger things.

Yep, the only fights I see Donarie taking at bamtam are Moreno and winner of the tournament (preferably Agbeko for promotional reasons).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.