Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paul Williams returning on April 30?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/126359-...inst-a-qsoftieq

Don’t expect Paul Williams to feast on a journeyman-type opponent in his first fight since his devastating second-round knockout loss to middleweight champ Sergio Martinez last November.

The former two-time welterweight titleholder is expected to get back into the ring April 30 on HBO, and his promoter, Dan Goossen, says Williams will face an HBO-level opponent.

“We’re not looking for a softie,” Goossen told RingTV.com. “I’ve talked to Paul and (Williams’ trainer) George (Peterson) and we all agree that it should be the most-significant fight that we can get.”

If Goossen had his druthers Williams (39-2, 27 knockouts) would face a significant opponent in the welterweight division. The towering 29-year-old southpaw has fought between 152½ and 157 pounds since he regained his WBO welterweight title against Carlos Quintana in June of 2008.

His opposition was strong enough to merit RING rankings at both junior middleweight and middleweight. However, Goossen has always maintained that his fighter was a welterweight.

“I’d like to get Paul a big fight at 147 pounds. That‘s his natural weight,” Goossen said. “Paul’s willing to go to any weight, as usual, so we’ll just have to see who is available at welterweight or above.”

Some fans and industry insiders might question the wisdom of putting Williams in tough depending on how formidable his April 30 opponent turns out to be. The one-punch knockout loss to Martinez was one of the most brutal in recent memory.

However, Goossen says that Williams and Peterson view the KO as a fluke occurrence. The Sherman Oaks, Calif.-based promoter agrees with the fighter and trainer.

“It was one of those knockouts you don’t see very often, a knockout that comes from a perfect punch,” Goossen said. “If the loss had been a beat down or if Paul had been stopped in customary fashion where he took a lot of punishment before it happened, we would probably be a little cautious in his first fight back. But Paul, George and I are in agreement that it was a million-to-one shot.”
salvador
It can't be too serious of a contender given that the 30th is only 10 weeks away.
D-MARV
He should take a tune then step in with Joshua Clottey. Clottey would be perfect for PWill.
Fitz
QUOTE (salvador @ Feb 16 2011, 12:05 PM) *
It can't be too serious of a contender given that the 30th is only 10 weeks away.

Good point. Didn't think of that.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 16 2011, 12:25 AM) *
Paul Williams hasn't fought there in a while and think he may have left it a little too long to get back down to 147 and be as effective. I think it's best he hangs around 154 as there are a couple of decent fights he could take, for example the winner of Cotto-Mayorga. If not, I would still be real keen in seeing Williams-Pavlik at Middleweight as it would still be a good comeback fight for both fighters!

i agree viper... 147 at this point may be sucking him down too far... and lets face it pac and mays not gonna fight him... 154 the place him you'd think...
Big Slim Sweet
I suspect Paul's punch resistance is gone. Hope I'm wrong, I really like him.
thefloatingmonkey
They should put him in with Cintron again. When they were fighting the first time, it was actually a pretty good fight and I thought Cintron was winning before he fell out of the ring.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (thefloatingmonkey @ Feb 16 2011, 06:14 PM) *
They should put him in with Cintron again. When they were fighting the first time, it was actually a pretty good fight and I thought Cintron was winning before he fell out of the ring.

i wouldnt mind a cintron rematch either... i hope who ever he fights is good enough to test his confidence...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 16 2011, 09:45 PM) *
i wouldnt mind a cintron rematch either... i hope who ever he fights is good enough to test his confidence...

his first fight out after being face down on the canvas out cold.. i don't see it being a big challenge. this is going to be an easy fight to build his confidence up, it wont matter though unless he gets with a different trainer and takes some learning fights.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Feb 16 2011, 10:17 AM) *
I suspect Paul's punch resistance is gone. Hope I'm wrong, I really like him.

You are most likely right. It be nice to see the PW that fought Winky, now that dude looked great!
gravytrain
i don't know why PWill's chin will be gone, dude just got hit with a nice shot. the real problem is that after the fight he was making it sound like pure luck and that he wont be changing anything, if he took looking like Martinez just killed him as a sign to change his camp around he could be pretty serious at 147-160. I'd like to see him get with Steward personally.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Feb 16 2011, 09:27 PM) *
i don't know why PWill's chin will be gone, dude just got hit with a nice shot. the real problem is that after the fight he was making it sound like pure luck and that he wont be changing anything, if he took looking like Martinez just killed him as a sign to change his camp around he could be pretty serious at 147-160. I'd like to see him get with Steward personally.

p. will def needs to change his trainers or at least bring in a defensive coach that would help him tuck that chin in when he throws... i agree steward would be the ideal trainer for him... i think steward would turn him into a real killer..
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Feb 16 2011, 11:27 PM) *

I hope you're right. I like Williams a lot, he's an easy guy to root for and fun to watch. But that Sergio KO had the look of a sports car being totaled to me. You just can't put it back together again.

I hear HBO wants to do Williams-Cintron 2 so I wouldn't be surprised to see that one soon. Paul's people would be VERY wise to test him first against someone with less of a punch however. And for the love of fucking GOD they need to keep him the fuck away from southpaws.
BrutalBodyShots
That KO at the hands of Martinez is the type of KO that could leave a chin permanently cracked. Until I see Williams take a few solid shots and react well to them I'll doubt his punch resistance a bit... and if he has trouble getting down to 147 he'll react even worse to getting hit flush.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.