Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bradley and Khan close for a July fight?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
by Michael Rosenthal

Timothy Bradley and Amir Khan have a "deal in principle" to fight on July 23 on HBO. Bradley is willing to extend his contract with Gary Shaw and Thompson boxing to make the fight happen.

A title-unification fight between Timothy Bradley and Amir Khan on July 23 on HBO is a step closer to reality, according to Gary Shaw, Bradley’s co-promoter.

Shaw said he and Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Khan, have a “deal in principle” in place.

The preliminary agreement was confirmed by Cameron Dunkin, Bradley’s manager, who said his fighter is willing to extend his contract with Shaw and Thompson Boxing to make the fight happen. The contract expires in June.

This is only the first step in negotiations. The fighters must still review the terms before signing off on any agreement.

“Nothing is done until that happens,” Shaw said.

Khan also must defeat unbeaten Irishman Paul McCloskey on April 16 at the M.E.N. Arena in Manchester, England, which he is expected to do.

Shaw said he and Schaefer didn’t discuss a site, although it will take place in the United States.

“Khan wants this fight; Timmy is open to fighting anyone,” Dunkin said. “(Golden Boy) came to us and said this is the fight HBO wants. Gary said (to Bradley), ‘Would you be willing to extend our agreement long enough to get this fight done?’ Timmy told us to go ahead and pursue it.

“We’re not that far along but this is very, very doable fight.”

Bradley (27-0, 11 knockouts) is coming off a 10-round technical decision over Devon Alexander on Jan. 29. Khan (24-1, 17 KOs) outpointed Marcos Maidana on Dec. 11.

Would love to see this one.
gravytrain
i'll believe it when they get in the ring.
The CEO
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Feb 15 2011, 10:57 PM) *
i'll believe it when they get in the ring.

Same here...I personally think Khan will duck him or possibly get KOed (again) by that McCutcheon fella...

I heard Khan once knocked himself out chewin' a piece of gum.
SENTRAL

I dont know much about this guy but he does appear to have excellent head and upper body movement as well as a bit of power in his punches.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Feb 17 2011, 03:45 AM) *

I dont know much about this guy but he does appear to have excellent head and upper body movement as well as a bit of power in his punches.

Damn that dude looks pretty nice and throws nice hard punches. Would not mind seeing more of him. Kind of reminds me of a mix of Bute and Hamed.

Also as CEO stated would not be surprised to see this guy KO Khan.

If Khan and Bradley do ever step in the ring, Bradley will 100% get the stoppage. Easy money.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 17 2011, 04:18 AM) *
Damn that dude looks pretty nice and throws nice hard punches. Would not mind seeing more of him. Kind of reminds me of a mix of Bute and Hamed.

If Khan and Bradley do ever step in the ring, Bradley will 100% get the stoppage. Easy money.

I khan't believe I'm saying this but I like Khan in that fight. I think he beats Bradley, I'm not sold on that guy.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Feb 17 2011, 04:20 AM) *
I khan't believe I'm saying this but I like Khan in that fight. I think he beats Bradley, I'm not sold on that guy.

I khan't believe what I just read! Only a khunt would think that, lol. I am telling you, Khan khan't beat Bradley.
Maxy
McCloskey is a good fighter. I dunno, maybe this has come too early for him but at the end of the day it's just an interim fight anyway. Paul don't have the greatest footwork and he does box with his hands low from what I have seen. Decent power, which has already been proven to be enough to hurt Khan, but nah, I can't see him springing an upset.

As for Bradley, I ain't impressed at all and from being convinced he was the man at 140 a while ago, I'm now genuinely sitting on the fence with regards to a fight with Khan. 50-50 all the way for me at the minute.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 17 2011, 03:31 AM) *
McCloskey is a good fighter. I dunno, maybe this has come too early for him but at the end of the day it's just an interim fight anyway. Paul don't have the greatest footwork and he does box with his hands low from what I have seen. Decent power, which has already been proven to be enough to hurt Khan, but nah, I can't see him springing an upset.

As for Bradley, I ain't impressed at all and from being convinced he was the man at 140 a while ago, I'm now genuinely sitting on the fence with regards to a fight with Khan. 50-50 all the way for me at the minute.

i agree maxy... i cant call it either... i hate to say it but if i just had to pick a winner... just had to i'd have to go with khan tho id be rooting for bradley... but then again i can see bradley winning... either way i bets its another clash of styles type of fight... i dont think its very entertaining... it would mirror the bradley alexander fight in entertainment value i believe... and i, by no means, think its an easy fight for either fighter... they both had better come 110% prepared...
Big Slim Sweet
I also think Bradley and Khan would make for a really unappealing hug-and-mug type of fight. Khan throwing mostly jabs then tying Bradley up on the inside, and Bradley trying to find a home for his cranium as he does. There would be a ton of holding and grappling and bitching to the ref. My pick would be Khan on points in ugly fashion and getting crucified by the boxing public after.
Snoop
Nice to see the top guys in a division actually facing each other. Hope this fight comes off.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Feb 17 2011, 03:20 AM) *

Sig bet?
blackbelt2003
Bradley is overall the better fighter, but styles make fights and I think Khan has the right style to beat him.

To beat Alexander you've got to be slick but work hard at the same time. You can't be slick like Alexander or Witter but let Bradley do all the work. Khan is fiery, fit and enthusiastic enough to keep his hands moving whilst utilising his long jab and footwork to nick a decision.

I'm not saying Khan is better than Bradley as I think Bradley is the no.1 in the division, but I just think stylewise this does not match up well for the American.

Of course there is also every chance Bradley can land the equaliser in the form of a big overhand right like the one that decked Witter.

Black
gravytrain
if they fight i think Bradley will beat him. Bradley can counter him, is tough enough to take his shots and keep coming, and will keep Khan on the move so he'll be getting tired in the later stages of the fight. i see him winning by a couple rounds.
Fitz
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Feb 18 2011, 08:01 AM) *
Sig bet?

Haha, I still never gave you the sig from out bet. Lucky for you I am being lazy.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Feb 17 2011, 04:01 PM) *
Sig bet?

I'm saving it for SENTRAL laugh.gif

Yeah y'know if this fight goes ahead I may just be tempted to take this.
SENTRAL
Overlooking Paul McCloskey, Amir Khan and Timothy Bradley are close to agreeing terms for a July 23rd fight in Vegas. I'm all for this fight but won't the distraction of knowing his biggest fight is around the corner affect Khan in this McCloskey bout?  Paul must surely have a chance to spring an upset or is he simply there to pass the time?
The CEO
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 17 2011, 04:18 AM) *

You've been on top of your game for a while now, L-L....yet another good judgement...it would be "Easy" at the least, stoppage or decision...

For those who think otherwise, watch their last performances...focusing only on Khan and Bradley...one survived, and one thrived.

and what were their actions after those fights?...one licks his wounds with a tune up, while the other guns for Elite competition....yeah...I see Timothy Bradley literally running Amir Khan out of the ring.

but like some others have noticed...we shouldn't look too far ahead...this McDonnell kid might derail Khan (for the 2ND time).
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 18 2011, 12:14 PM) *
I do happen to think there are a couple of ingredients for an upset here myself. Khan has a LOT ahead in the future and with a big Unification fight against Bradley most likely being next is one of them ingredients. Another is the fact that this will be his "home coming" fight back in England since his US debut on a big stage & against an undefeated fighter who happens to be a English fighter himself. I do think Khan is walking into this particular fight with a little extra pressure.

Not to mention based on that vid posted this dude McCloskey looked much better than I was expecting, although I won't put a great deal of emphasis on that, as it's the reason it's called "highlights". But yeah he seems to have power and has come across at least ready. He even stated a couple of days ago that he will target Khan's temple as he realised that it's not the jaw Khan gets hurt but more so along the head. If he is pickin' up things like that it shows the guy has at least half an idea of what he is doing and has some form of a plan.

As for who wins Bradley-Khan, off the top of my head Bradley seems like the guy to take it, but I'm not so sure. I think Khan gives Bradley trouble and Bradley gives Khan trouble, as it won't be easy for neither but at this point in time I think it's a real close one that I can't give a solid pick yet.

Hope to see Khan look good and win against McCloskey.

Well as they say, you cant't put muscles on a temple!

Last time I watched McCloskey was against Guiseppe Lauri, fight before last. Maybe Maxy or Black or someone can correct me, but I seem to remember thinking that he looked a little shitty and I think at the time I felt he kinda cheap shotted Lauri with the KO. Point being I dont think McCloskey is really ready for this level. What I know for certain is that he will be as game as fuck! Them crazy Nordy fuckers are all the same! He will make Khan beat him.
Maxy
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Feb 18 2011, 03:15 PM) *
Well as they say, you cant't put muscles on a temple!

Last time I watched McCloskey was against Guiseppe Lauri, fight before last. Maybe Maxy or Black or someone can correct me, but I seem to remember thinking that he looked a little shitty and I think at the time I felt he kinda cheap shotted Lauri with the KO. Point being I dont think McCloskey is really ready for this level. What I know for certain is that he will be as game as fuck! Them crazy Nordy fuckers are all the same! He will make Khan beat him.

You're right Lloyd. The vid Sentral stuck up makes McCloskey look a shit load better than he actually is. It's a gimme fight, an easy win for Khan because Paul McCloskey ain't ready and will probably never be ready for this level. No slate on him, I actually hope he fucks me off and knocks Khan spark out but realistically I don't see the fight going more than 5 or 6 rounds. He will however, fight for his life and make Khan work to win.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 18 2011, 09:02 AM) *
You've been on top of your game for a while now, L-L....yet another good judgement...it would be "Easy" at the least, stoppage or decision...

For those who think otherwise, watch their last performances...focusing only on Khan and Bradley...one survived, and one thrived.

and what were their actions after those fights?...one licks his wounds with a tune up, while the other guns for Elite competition....yeah...I see Timothy Bradley literally running Amir Khan out of the ring.

but like some others have noticed...we shouldn't look too far ahead...this McDonnell kid might derail Khan (for the 2ND time).

Thanks for the props. thumbsup_anim.gif

I am actually irked and confused how so many have changed their tune now and say Khan will now beat Bradley. Why? Because Tim came to fight and Devon the slick southpaw was more concerned with running and surviving? How was Tim supposed to look like against that style?

Last I remember is that Khan was one punch from being not even talked about again. Maidana gassed and could not stop a gutsy Khan, credit to Khan, but bottom line is his chin is suspect as is his defense. So Khan wins a close one where he gets almost KO'd and Bradley dominates someone who doesn't want to fight and now people are picking Khan? I am seriously confused. This fight is just too easy to see the outcome.

Khan's only chance is to HOPE that he catches Bradly early and hurts him and gets him out of there.

Bradley is going to pressure the heck out of Khan and take his heart and either give him a big long beatdown or get a TKO sometime early.

I actually find it humorous to think people actually think Khan will outbox him all night, lol. Bradley is too good for that. Khan will get hit and get hurt and get stopped. Period.

Please anyone feel free to sig bet me if this fight gets made.

I will say Dmarv from what I remember has been rolling with Khan for a while now, even before their last fights which have influenced so many's decisions to change their minds.
lloyd mayflower
I'm not confident enough to go down the sig bet road. Plus I would never look to profit from an Amir Khan win. But iv said from the beggining of Khans 140 career that I think he takes Bradley. It's not about the Alexander fight for me, I just thought when he moved up that none of the guys in the 140 mix would be able to handle him and I stand by that. Its no lose for me tho cos whatever way it lands, someone I dislike will be beaten!
D-MARV
I'm not willing to sig bet on this fight either. I think Khan will win but I'm not that confident. Bradley ALWAYS finds a way to win. I feel that Khan will control the fight at distance. Bradley doesn't possess the size and strength that Maidana has and he surely doesn't hit as hard as him. His determination can't be denied though and that, alone, may be enough to get him the victory. I'm leaning towards Khan via close decision.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.