Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxings Brightest Prospects...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
I came up with this topic actually a few minutes ago as i set here watching the undercard to felix sturm vs ronald hearns... I didnt want to make a topic just on shawn porter as i am interested in you guys thoughts on any of the up and comers you may think about and feel are the real deals or more hyped than substance...anyways...

I was setting here thinking about shawn porters fight last night and i know he has been highly touted by the media and press and while i havent seen all of his fights, in my opinion the guy seemed a lot more explosive earlier in his career when he was fighting real no hopers... i couldnt help but think last night while watching the guy that if his opponent simply had a higher work rate and a constant jab he very possibly could have won the fight... i seemed to see a fighter with several limitations in there and although he won in dominant fashion in my mind it was a win that showed a tall rangy fighter with a jab and higher skill set than the guy he fought last night will give him all kinds of problems... I could be wrong but he seems to be nearing his peak as far as how good he will become.. anyways... what was some of your thoughts on shawn porter?.. and im interested to know what you think about other highly touted prospects rather good or bad....

on other prospect notes i just saw deontay wilder is fighting tonight and it seems james kirkland has 2 fights scheduled in the next 2 months... it will be interesting to see how he looks...

Maxy
Deontay Wilder is a fuckin train wreck waiting to happen.

I'd like to see him and Tyson Fury fight. Two unbeaten heavyweights and it'll get one of them out of the way. Just watched Fury win tonight, beautiful knockout...5th or 6th round ain't sure. Fella he beat was crude as fuck but better than anything Wilder has met so far.

James DeGale is the future though. Straight up, he's going to be a world champion, no doubt about it.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 19 2011, 09:55 PM) *

I'd like to see him and Tyson Fury fight. Two unbeaten heavyweights and it'll get one of them out of the way. Just watched Fury win tonight, beautiful knockout...5th or 6th round ain't sure. Fella he beat was crude as fuck but better than anything Wilder has met so far.

James DeGale is the future though. Straight up, he's going to be a world champion, no doubt about it.

MAXY!!!......

Just remembered those fights were on when I read your post, who did Fury beat? Frankie Gavin looks a quality prospect. Little disappointed but not surprised to see big Larry getting beat, there was a sort of charm about how amateurish he was yet he could knock guys the fuck out!

As far as DeGale goes, well fuck him!!!

But seriously it has to be him vs Groves for the best prospect on this side of the pond. Whoever wins that fight will go on to have some wordl success.

I dont think Nathan Cleverly can be considered a prospect anymore I think he is now definitely world level but hes still young and only just started devoting all his time to boxing after getting his maths degree so if hes not on yor radar already JLUV keep your eyes open for him
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 19 2011, 03:55 PM) *

i think i read yesterday fury is scheduled to fight michael grant next... im not sure he wins that fight...
Maxy
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 19 2011, 05:13 PM) *
i think i read yesterday fury is scheduled to fight michael grant next... im not sure he wins that fight...

Haven't heard anything about Michael Grant but after he beat this Brazilian fella tonight he said Kevin Johnson had called him out and asked his promoter to make the fight. He also called out Chisora.

Lloyd, I like Gavin, he's obviously good but he doesn't seem to have much power and I reckon that'l be his undoing.

DeGale takes Groves to school but it's not looking like it'll happen at the minute even though purse bids have been won and dates have been spoken about.

Lloyd, James will make you love him one day....
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
It's hard calling people "prospects" these days. Honestly, it seems like they get 10 or so easy fights, then get some shot at a minor title, and they're contending then. I think Wilder is a solid prospect. He hasn't fought anybody, but he's learning the professional game every fight. I think if they develop him right, he'll make noise in a shitty division.

Another dude I like is Demetrius Andrade. I know ESPN criticizes him for not stepping up, but he's only had 12 pro fights. He's 22 years old, so I just don't seee the need to rush him. They tried to rush Jermain Taylor, and look how that's turned out. I say let the kid grow into his body at 22, develop those great skills even more, and make noise in 2-3 years. I think this kid will be p4p material in 2-3 years.

Dominc Wade seems to be a strong prospect. He's fought some decent fighters in his first 11 bouts. Mike Faulk went to the golden glove nationals and made it to the finals I believe. He was no stiff, and he handled him with ease. He needs to use that height better, but he could make some noise as well.

The last prospect I look at is Jamal James. I think he's only 3-0, but he was something like 120-10 as an amatuer and made it to the national finals. He's really tall and wiry at 140. Actually, he sparred with Jason Litzau before his bout with Caballero. Apparantly, he gave Litzau great work. He's one hell of a fighter, and has great speed.

As to answer your question JLuv: I think Shawn Porter is a train-wreck waiting to happen. This dude just gets hit WAY too easily. That dude last night was dropping right hands on him non-stop. I think he could have won the fight if he just picked the damn pace up a bit. Ray Robinson also gave Porter hell in his last fight as well. A lot of people thought Robinson won 5 of 10 rounds against Porter just by putting all the pressure on him. He struggles against tall fighters, and at his height, he's gonna see many tall fighters. Eventually, he'll meet a fighter who will throw more than 20 punches a round and he's going to take a beating.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Feb 19 2011, 05:45 PM) *
As to answer your question JLuv: I think Shawn Porter is a train-wreck waiting to happen. This dude just gets hit WAY too easily. That dude last night was dropping right hands on him non-stop. I think he could have won the fight if he just picked the damn pace up a bit. Ray Robinson also gave Porter hell in his last fight as well. A lot of people thought Robinson won 5 of 10 rounds against Porter just by putting all the pressure on him. He struggles against tall fighters, and at his height, he's gonna see many tall fighters. Eventually, he'll meet a fighter who will throw more than 20 punches a round and he's going to take a beating.

and im gonna love watching it... he looks like the kind of guy that when he gets beat its gonna be a thing of beauty... lol...
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Thing is though, maybe Shawn Porter has a good chin. He seems to take a lot of shots, but you don't ever see him hurt. This could be a thing of beauty also, as he could make for some exciting fights. He has a fun style to watch and has some good speed.

Who are your favorite prospects out there?
and the NEW
I would say look out for Will Tomlinson. He has sparred with Mosley and was bought in by both Chris John and Gamboa for sparring and held his own. Undefeated and some good power and technique. Not going to be a world beater but could definately take world titles.

Also, going to be hard in a stacked divisoin, but Alexander Bakhtin definately has a future.

Most over hyped, one name and one name only for me, on the undercard of tonights Donaire v Montiel fight, Jones, that kid is a good fighter, but the hype he is getting is way past his potential. He will be decimated if he ever fights a top Welter.
BigG
Jose Benavidez Jr...18 year old future champ...

And a fighter named Omar Henry is also a good prospect...but I don't what the fuck he's doing outside the ring...

kidbazooka1
Yeah Jose Benavidez will do big things.

Mercito Gesta is another name to look out for.
JLUVBABY
King Eugene
This kid Willie Jones is pretty damn good. He trains at my gym sometimes.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 21 2011, 09:56 PM) *

they say he's floyd mayweathers half brother...
King Eugene
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 22 2011, 01:08 AM) *
they say he's floyd mayweathers half brother...

Willie Jones and Jon Jones are two different people man. This Willie Jones kid is like 19 and he fights out of Charlotte. He is in no relation to Floyd.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 22 2011, 12:41 AM) *
Willie Jones and Jon Jones are two different people man. This Willie Jones kid is like 19 and he fights out of Charlotte. He is in no relation to Floyd.

id never heard of him... lol... just found it messin round on youtube... i got that off the comments and found it interesting...
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 21 2011, 07:56 PM) *

Dudes bodywork in the 2nd fight is the most impressive part of the vid.
gravytrain
Raushee Warren. he's a good amateur but i think he'd be even better as a pro. lots of amateur experience, Olympian, fighting in WSB right now, and most likely going to the Olympics again. once he makes the switch to pro, if he does, i think it'll be an easy transition for him since he already has a nice style. plus he's fast, decent power, and can box. if he gets with a good trainer this cat could really do something in the lower divisions. i don't know if he'd get on a PPV star level though since he's pretty small, only 5'4" and fighting at 114. if he were a little bigger i think he probably would have turned pro already and most likely would have whooped Berto's punk ass already.
Maxy
As I've already said, Olympic Gold medalist James DeGale is a shoe-in for professional stardom but not far behind him is Frankie Gavin, a former world amateur champion. These two are going to known the world over by mid 2012, no doubt about it.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Maxy @ Feb 26 2011, 05:23 PM) *
As I've already said, Olympic Gold medalist James DeGale is a shoe-in for professional stardom but not far behind him is Frankie Gavin, a former world amateur champion. These two are going to known the world over by mid 2012, no doubt about it.

from what i remember of DeGale at the olympics he really wasn't a bad fighter, his post-fight interview was horrible though. it was like an Ali G skit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.