Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Featherweight Soup
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
and the NEW
This on another forum and thought V interesting.

I haven't been following boxing lately closely enough so I couldn't answer them for myself, but what are your guys thoughts on these Qs?

What on earth is Chris John doing, does anybody know why he isn't in any big featherweight fights (is it his promotor or what)? After he 'beat' (see lost) to JMM in Indonesia, he seems to have gone to the States and done absolutely nothing, happy to beat contenders but not take on other champions.

After Donaires win, everyone is talking about him taking out the 'featherweight king' of Lopez, but Lopez seems to want no part of a fight with Gamboa or John, to proove he actually is the feather king (not only that, but WTF is he doing on P4P lists (including the Ring P4P list) when he hasn't beat one good feather yet and beat an old Rafael Marquez).

Now you have Hasegawa who has moved up and taken the vacant WBC belt, how do you guys see him doing against the top feathers? He is a real good addition to a strong division, but WTF are these guys doing, nobody will fight any other top guy? At this rate, I would rather him have stayed down at Bantam and fought the other big guys (Moreno, Mares, Agbeko, Darch, Perez), which is also what I hope Montiel does now, instead of moving up straight after a loss which a lot of guys seem to be doing these days.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Feb 20 2011, 08:53 AM) *
This on another forum and thought V interesting.

I haven't been following boxing lately closely enough so I couldn't answer them for myself, but what are your guys thoughts on these Qs?

What on earth is Chris John doing, does anybody know why he isn't in any big featherweight fights (is it his promotor or what)? After he 'beat' (see lost) to JMM in Indonesia, he seems to have gone to the States and done absolutely nothing, happy to beat contenders but not take on other champions.

After Donaires win, everyone is talking about him taking out the 'featherweight king' of Lopez, but Lopez seems to want no part of a fight with Gamboa or John, to proove he actually is the feather king (not only that, but WTF is he doing on P4P lists (including the Ring P4P list) when he hasn't beat one good feather yet and beat an old Rafael Marquez).

Now you have Hasegawa who has moved up and taken the vacant WBC belt, how do you guys see him doing against the top feathers? He is a real good addition to a strong division, but WTF are these guys doing, nobody will fight any other top guy? At this rate, I would rather him have stayed down at Bantam and fought the other big guys (Moreno, Mares, Agbeko, Darch, Perez), which is also what I hope Montiel does now, instead of moving up straight after a loss which a lot of guys seem to be doing these days.

Interesting points. Chris John hasn't seemed to have capitalized on his victory over Marquez which is always a waste when a fighter doesn't take advantage over a victory over a respected fighter. Gamboa has shown interest in taking on John and I also know that little shit Dibb has also shown interest.

As for Lopez, he is the man at featherweight but would not even consider Donaire as an opponent at the moment as he only just arrived at 118 as he is two divisions below. I'm also not very keen on Lopez being keen on a rematch with Marquez.. it's not really needed.

As for Montiel and Hasegawa, they should both just stay put in their divisions as it's gotta be one of the hottest divisions at the moment, there is plenty of options for both fighters. Either fighters could get fights with Darchinyan or Perez, if not the loser of the finals.

I agree, it's too bad when fighters move a division when there is more than enough to keep the fighter occupied in the division they're already in. That's why it would be a shame to see Donaire move to 122 or 126 instead of facing the winner of Agbeko-Mares! He only recent moved to 118 and now that he's the new king there is talks of already leaving 118? There is so many great fights for Donaire to take at Bantamweight that would really add and benefit his career and the same goes for the rest of the division.
JLUVBABY
To try and answer that chris john question... i was at his first fight with rocky juarez and tho juarez made a run in the fight late he lost that fight... the judges scored the fight a draw but chris john won that fight... the audience booed the hell out of that fight... i think he is leery of fighting here in the states where most of the big fights go down... at this point i think he is happy fighting in indonesia, and most fighters dont want to go there to fight him... the guy can fight and i dont see him losing a close fight in indonesia.. just my take but i believe he finds himself in a catch 22... he doesnt want to fight abroad and nobody wants to go to him... lol...
and the NEW
Interesting guys. Thanks for the input. A lot of talent down in the lower weights, it's a shame they don't do at Feather, what is currently happening at Bantam.
blackbelt2003
I thought the win over Marquez was legit. And since John beat Marquez and has remained unbeaten ever since, I don't really see how anyone can rate a johnny-come-lately like Juanma Lopez over him, esepcially since Lopez hasn't beaten anyone except lil' old Raf Marq and hasn't fought for a legitimate title belt yet.

The fight for the 'real' top spot is John-Gamboa, and since Gamboa is WBA no.1 as well as IBF champ that fight should happen soon for both belts. I'm hoping Jhonny Gonzalez knocks off Hasegawa for the WBC belt, then we can get a war between Gamboa (I think he beats John) and Gonzalez for the undisputed title.

Lopez needs to get in the mix, Gamboa-Lopez could be the biggest featherweight fight since Hamed-Barrera or Morales-Barrera II.

Black
Mean Mister Mustard
John fought well against JMM, and though I think JMM did better in the fight, the point deductions are what cost him the fight,

Chris John is good. He has good foot movement, quick hands, a decent jab and is a smart boxer. He fought Juarez twice in the U.S but has never fought there since. The only time we will see him in North America again is for a big fight, but he seems to have regressed back to his 2006-2008 self, where he only wants to fight in Asia. That's too bad because I think he has what it takes to beat the best from 122 to 130.
and the NEW
Blackbelt, good post.

I honestly thought the Marquez vs John fight was a close one, but I had JMM winning by a comfortable margin.

That said, the I also think Hasegawa will defend his title unless he is caught by a big shot as per the Montiel fight. He looked much more slick and a better boxer than Montiel, but was just caught as happens in fights.

Wouldn't mind seeing Gamboa go head to head with Marquez, that would be a war and a Hasegawa fight against John would be a chess match. Put the winners against eachother to see a real entertaining battle of contrasting styles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.