Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Someone Please Save Roy Jones
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Box in Hand
I'm not sure what the consensus is on Roy Jones round here but I happen to be a long standing fan of his and have been since I saw him wax Toney. However he had a major downfall and fell harder than any other boxer I have ever seen from the top of the sport. I still supported him though and rooted for him to beat Calzaghe which was a massacre. Still he continued and got knocked out again yet still he continued. Now he has another fight coming up on foreign soil again a guy who isn't a killer but has punching power. My question is why are those closest to him even allowing this if there care for his safety. His legs are gone, his reflexes are gone, his chin is paper, and he doesn't have the power to hurt anyone. What will it take, the death of Roy Jones to make everyone wake up?
gravytrain
RJJ will never give it up, in his mind the losses are just part of the game and he thinks he's still the prime RJJ.
JLUVBABY
i cant lie it bothered me to see him faced off with haye... i just knew they where going to announce that fight... smh... in a strange way he is putting himself in the position he swore he never wanted to be in after the mcclellan/benn fight..
Box in Hand
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 25 2011, 08:20 PM) *
i cant lie it bothered me to see him faced off with haye... i just knew they where going to announce that fight... smh... in a strange way he is putting himself in the position he swore he never wanted to be in after the mcclellan/benn fight..

Exactly so what happened and why ain't his folks saying something? Or they should bow out as his trainer if they cared, WTF?
Box in Hand
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Feb 25 2011, 07:17 PM) *
RJJ will never give it up, in his mind the losses are just part of the game and he thinks he's still the prime RJJ.

That's sad cause I can see him getting killed in the ring. Once his back hits the ropes he's a fucking sitting duck waiting for the kill.
Mean Mister Mustard
Jones still has some hand speed, some pop and a whole lot of experience. Fighting a heavyweight puncher like Haye though, is just asking for trouble. Funny that this is the guy who was always cautious about who he fought and now he's facing one of the biggest risks he could take. Maybe he needs the money, I don't know. The point is that with the attributes he has left, he could still beat a bunch of people.
Box in Hand
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 25 2011, 10:03 PM) *
Jones still has some hand speed, some pop and a whole lot of experience. Fighting a heavyweight puncher like Haye though, is just asking for trouble. Funny that this is the guy who was always cautious about who he fought and now he's facing one of the biggest risks he could take. Maybe he needs the money, I don't know. The point is that with the attributes he has left, he could still beat a bunch of people.

I agree but once he goes to the elite level he has no chance and I say just lay back and get into something else before he gets killed or put in a coma.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 25 2011, 10:03 PM) *

word i got on roy was he was flat broke... im talking common man kind broke not the broke as in, like a mike tyson kind of broke... lol... all his money is gone is what im lead to understand... hope thats not true...
Box in Hand
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 25 2011, 11:14 PM) *
word i got on roy was he was flat broke... im talking common man kind broke not the broke as in, like a mike tyson kind of broke... lol... all his money is gone is what im lead to understand... hope thats not true...

Wow, I mean dude still has star power so he should use that instead of fighting. He's an excellent commentator for HBO so needs to capitalize on that. His style requires legs and reflexes and lost both after that insane drop in weight and muscle.
King Eugene
I wouldn't mind seeing Roy start up his own gym and training some fighters. He has a ton of boxing knowledge. You can tell just by listening to him commentating. Question is would he be able to teach what he knows. Hell its worth a shot.
gravytrain
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Feb 26 2011, 01:04 AM) *
I wouldn't mind seeing Roy start up his own gym and training some fighters. He has a ton of boxing knowledge. You can tell just by listening to him commentating. Question is would he be able to teach what he knows. Hell its worth a shot.

i think Tommy Hearns would make a great trainer, the way he worked with Bradley was nice even if it's only for promo. RJJ could work a corner good but i don't know how he'd do training fighters, he might be someone trying to teach them to fight like him instead of letting them do their own thing.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 26 2011, 04:14 PM) *

thumbsup_anim.gif Hope its true.
AussieLad
Jones should go hard on the roids for 6 months, and focus on chewing tobacco while he's at it to put some muscle on his jaw. Build himself back up as much as he can on the roids, and then have a short training camp for a fight and stay clean. Just enough time for the roids to be out of his system, but not so long as that he loses all the benefits. Then slap in a bit of epo and he's laughing all the way to the bank
Mean Mister Mustard
I think the odds that Haye knocks out RJ are very high. The man dropped the normally iron chinned John Ruiz with a 1-2.

At this point in his career Jones's defense consists of covering up, he can no longer dodge shots with his hands down like he used to in his prime, and when he tries he gets caught. It doesn't even have to be a shot to the chin, we know he can be dropped by shots to the temple. He's just asking for trouble if he fights Haye.

gravytrain
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Feb 26 2011, 06:01 PM) *
Jones should go hard on the roids for 6 months, and focus on chewing tobacco while he's at it to put some muscle on his jaw. Build himself back up as much as he can on the roids, and then have a short training camp for a fight and stay clean. Just enough time for the roids to be out of his system, but not so long as that he loses all the benefits. Then slap in a bit of epo and he's laughing all the way to the bank

lol what are roids gonna for RJJ? he could take just about anything but it wont help him, he lost it. now if he could completely change his style i could see him winning but that isn't going to happen.
neophyte7
JOnes never mastered the nuances of the sport such as defense and infighting... he relied on roids and reflexes... stick a fork in him...
Run and Gun Game Calls
Sad deal if they fight. Roy jones is the most athletically gifted fighter I ever saw. And since dropping down from heavyweight his body went all to hell. Pre-ruiz I would give Jones a hell of a shot to beat haye, but this version of Jones has "NO" shot.
Lil-lightsout
If Danny Greene can stop Jones in a round, Haye will stop him during the ring introductions. I just wish he would retire for good and move on.
AussieLad
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Feb 27 2011, 03:26 AM) *
lol what are roids gonna for RJJ? he could take just about anything but it wont help him, he lost it. now if he could completely change his style i could see him winning but that isn't going to happen.

All i'm sayin is, if he gets some good roids and really chews hard on the tobacco and tough over cooked steaks, he'll get huge jaw muscles and be able to take a better shot flush on the chin... simple logic
Run and Gun Game Calls
funny how a man accomplishes every thing rjj did, and yet the haters try do undermine everything the man accomplished. Roids, lol funny how I dont hear the same talk everytime holyfields name is brought up.
Extant
I don't see any signs of Sup being broke (Hbo Comentating, Square Ring etc). Until FACTS are presented to support that statement I'm not subscribing to that.

Despite the fact that the man has obviously has slipped, I'm still gonna ride with him until the end. It appears that he is merely doing what he loves to do, going out in style, and is too proud (not always a good thing) to ride off into the sunset on his last two performances with "loaded gloves" Green and "dirty works" Hopkins.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Feb 28 2011, 08:08 PM) *
All i'm sayin is, if he gets some good roids and really chews hard on the tobacco and tough over cooked steaks, he'll get huge jaw muscles and be able to take a better shot flush on the chin... simple logic

Yeah he needs to chew some damm pine bark & tree sap like Dempsey.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 28 2011, 09:59 PM) *
What kind of "style" is that?

Hopefully it won't be drooling and slurring his words for the rest of his life "style."

roy is going out like the rest of the palooga's... his exit is no worse than tysons, ali's or many of the other greats.... its just sad to watch it again... you'd think they'd learn..
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Extant @ Feb 28 2011, 01:45 PM) *
I don't see any signs of Sup being broke (Hbo Comentating, Square Ring etc). Until FACTS are presented to support that statement I'm not subscribing to that.

Despite the fact that the man has obviously has slipped, I'm still gonna ride with him until the end. It appears that he is merely doing what he loves to do, going out in style, and is too proud (not always a good thing) to ride off into the sunset on his last two performances with "loaded gloves" Green and "dirty works" Hopkins.

Until facts are presented, I'm not subscribing to that.
Extant
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 1 2011, 10:23 AM) *
Until facts are presented, I'm not subscribing to that.

LMAO!!! Okay... I'm not afraid to admit when I just got GOT... True indeed.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (Extant @ Mar 1 2011, 06:00 PM) *
LMAO!!! Okay... I'm not afraid to admit when I just got GOT... True indeed.

I'm just kidding man. I just heard that on the net, so who knows if it's true or not. I hope he has some money stashed and he's not fighting to survive. If he keeps passing the medical tests and wants to keep fighting, then I say let him.
Fitz
Haha. It's not true. Green just knocked Jones out in 1 with sheer strength and power.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 1 2011, 07:35 PM) *
Haha. It's not true. Green just knocked Jones out in 1 with sheer strength and power.

i think RJJ's old ass just doesn't want to come to terms with being a fighter out of his prime and complete shit. so of course he's going to say Green had loaded gloves, the fight got stopped early, and whatever else he can come up with to cope with getting his ass whooped in a tuneup fight.
ViperSniper
Jones needs to focus on his commentating at HBO as he seems to do a very good job doing so. No need for him to continue as it's hard to believe he can add anymore to his legacy at this point in time.
Spyder
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 28 2011, 02:39 AM) *
If Danny Greene can stop Jones in a round, Haye will stop him during the ring introductions. I just wish he would retire for good and move on.

Word.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 2 2011, 11:35 AM) *

My favourite fight is the Johnson vs RJJ one. Purely because he beats Roy like a dog before brutally seperating him from his senses.
Fitz
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 4 2011, 02:23 PM) *
My favourite fight is the Johnson vs RJJ one. Purely because he beats Roy like a dog before brutally seperating him from his senses.

He has a habit of getting iced in tune ups, doesn't he?
caneman
QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Mar 3 2011, 10:23 PM) *

It was beautiful...he looked like he was taking a nap on the couch rolleyes_anim.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
From what I read Roy may be looking to make a fight with Denis Lebedev. Roy should be careful coz that guy is no joke.
AussieLad
Looks like Wlad read this thread and decided to save RJJ from a beatdown.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 5 2011, 08:57 PM) *
Looks like Wlad read this thread and decided to save RJJ from a beatdown.

No doubt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.