Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Showtime@7PM(PT)/10PM(ET):Rios vs. Acosta: SPOILERS 15 Minutes Later
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
For all on-going action and reaction to tonight's WBA Lightweight Title Fight. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
kidbazooka1
This should be a good one. Acosta is under appreciated but he is the real deal. If Rios wins this i see him as the future of the LW division.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Feb 26 2011, 12:51 PM) *
This should be a good one. Acosta is under appreciated but he is the real deal. If Rios wins this i see him as the future of the LW division.

Rios has got some pop, but the dude lacks solid head movement and speed. Even if he can pull off a victory tonight he will probably end up getting exposed against a better skilled boxer
The CEO
Lookin' forward to the guaranteed action tonight....tough one to call.

I kinda like that wild dipshit, Rios, but I'm in a may the best man win mood...

aggressive.gif

The CEO
DeMarco's gonna hurt Sanchez bad sooner or later...looks like the Valero loss hasn't done too much to him...

On a related note, it sucks I didn't get to see Valero get exposed before he went off the deep end and uninstalled his life...nice, hot appetizer in Nebraska...
Mean Mister Mustard
I was impressed with the way Valero had outclassed Demarco, he outboxed the boxer.
The CEO
Sanchez is sloppy and weak with his charging...DeMarco better show him who's boss soon, or he could get in trouble...
The CEO
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 26 2011, 10:45 PM) *
I know. He was always going to get exposed, I thought he was extremely overrated. We could have had a pretty good and successful hate wagon for that one.

For real...he was fairly popular for whatever reasons...maybe it was all that mainstream Fischer hype...

QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Feb 26 2011, 10:50 PM) *
I was impressed with the way Valero had outclassed Demarco, he outboxed the boxer.

It looked like DeMarco got scared after he fluke cut him...lol

Fight goin on in there...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 26 2011, 10:56 PM) *
For real...he was fairly popular for whatever reasons...maybe it was all that mainstream Fischer hype...

It looked like DeMarco got scared after he fluke cut him...lol

Fight goin on in there...

That and the fact that he had power and knockouts. I think a good technician like JMM would have beaten him but whenever you have a guy that's fast and has power, he will always have the advantage over most fighters.
The CEO
Yeah....Power and KOs over many unknowns though...I think DeMarco was his best win, right?...and he was disappointing to me right there...should have taken this crude, skinny brawler out...

but I virtually agree with you....hype and KOs are attention getters...like with that Lemieux kid (who will eventually get exposed)...

and another "exposed", with a "duck" and a "shot" for good measure...lol
Mean Mister Mustard
The Demarco win and the Mosquera brawl were his best performances.
JLUVBABY
i like rios but i got to go with acosta in this one... better technician imo but i hope im wrong...
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 26 2011, 11:21 PM) *
i like rios but i got to go with acosta in this one... better technician imo but i hope im wrong...

Let's see if Acosta can keep it on the outside.
BigG
Chat?
JLUVBABY
yeah lets do a chat for this one if yall dont mind....
The CEO
Acosta is ready...Rios will have to be at his best to win...
JLUVBABY
its gonna take some choppin but i think acosta is going to get him late...
The CEO
I'm sitting in bed on my phone...I'll hit chat later on...
Mean Mister Mustard
Acosta is landing a lot of uppercuts. Wonder if Rios will be able to last.
JLUVBABY
sorry mmm.... my chat got to acting up... i had to reset fh... is anybody else coming to chat?
The CEO
Acosta might give Rios Parkinson's if it goes on like this all night...
The CEO
Rios is fucking GAME...DROPS Costa in the 6th....Costa recovers well...
The CEO
Costa is goin' through Hell...noticeably gassed...down again in round 8...close fight....I don't think he's gonna make it...
The CEO
And Rios FINISHES HIM BRUTALLY in the corner in the first of the 10th....WOW.
KookedKrack
Rios was looking like a small version of Hands of Plaster out there
Mean Mister Mustard
It looked after the third that Rios would get dissected but the man's chin and resolve was too much for Acosta. Rios was a beast in there and I doubt that there are any boxers out there with better foot movement than Acosta.

By the way, I think Acosta has nothing to be ashamed of and I'd pick him over Antillon again or Soto.
The CEO
Much respect to Acosta...he's a badass...he just got broken down...

Donaire and now Rios...American fighters are HOT right now, MMM...lol
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (The CEO @ Feb 27 2011, 12:16 AM) *
Much respect to Acosta...he's a badass...he just got broken down...

Donaire and now Rios...American fighters are HOT right now, MMM...lol

Why you...
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 26 2011, 07:45 PM) *
I know. He was always going to get exposed, I thought he was extremely overrated. We could have had a pretty good and successful hate wagon for that one.

Edwin Valero=Pipino Cuevas
mexi-cutioner
This fight looked pretty damn similar to Margarito vs Cotto, they should check Rios' wraps after the bout...lol
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Feb 27 2011, 12:13 AM) *
Rios was looking like a small version of Hands of Plaster out there

That's what I was thinking. Rios REALLY needs to work on his head movement, that will help his game a great deal. It was a pretty good fight to watch overall.

While watching this fight, I kept thinking how a 135 pound Whitaker, Mayweather, or Mosley would have embarrassed these two guys. Sorry had to say it.
kidbazooka1
Damn Rios is a freakin monster!!!!

Acosta is no joke he has good boxing skills with power i thought he was gonna take this after the first few rds but Rios showed a helluva chin and heart. Rios aggression, chin and power will make him a very dangerous man for any LW. I see big things from him in the future.

Acosta fought a good fight and i agree he'll beat most LW's around with the exception of Rios and Marquez.

Also Robert Garcia is on a roll right now first Donaire and now Rios both with huge wins back to back.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Feb 27 2011, 04:50 AM) *
This fight looked pretty damn similar to Margarito vs Cotto, they should check Rios' wraps after the bout...lol

C'mon bro i know he's not pinoy but no need to hate though. The guy in your avatar was there celebrating with Rios big time.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 27 2011, 04:52 AM) *
While watching this fight, I kept thinking how a 135 pound Whitaker, Mayweather, or Mosley would have embarrassed these two guys. Sorry had to say it.

And Armstrong and Duran would have probably embarrased Mosley, May and Whitaker so.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Feb 27 2011, 04:01 AM) *
And Armstrong and Duran would have probably embarrased Mosley, May and Whitaker so.

LOL! Whatever. Didn't mean to upset your feelings because I was making an honest observation against one of your beloved hispanic fighters(yeah I know he is American also).

Also like a prime Roy Jones would have wiped the floor with anyone today at 160-175.

Or a Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Ruddock, Holyfield, etc. would have killed 99% of todays heavies.

Geez, got to take a comment like that so personally.

Rios is a tough fighter no doubt, and I like him a lot and love his attitude and fighting spirit, but he is limited and I do not see a great fighter right now. He is young and can improve and maybe one day he will be great. But right now I just see a one dimensional slow plodding methodical fighter. He reminds me a lot of Margarito the way he fights.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Feb 27 2011, 04:22 AM) *
LOL! Whatever. Didn't mean to upset your feelings because I was making an honest observation against one of your beloved hispanic fighters(yeah I know he is American also).

Also like a prime Roy Jones would have wiped the floor with anyone today at 160-175.

Or a Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis, Ruddock, Holyfield, etc. would have killed 99% of todays heavies.

Geez, got to take a comment like that so personally.

Rios is a tough fighter no doubt, and I like him a lot and love his attitude and fighting spirit, but he is limited and I do not see a great fighter right now. He is young and can improve and maybe one day he will be great. But right now I just see a one dimensional slow plodding methodical fighter. He reminds me a lot of Margarito the way he fights.

Rios just fought for his first title and your already trying to compare him to all time greats c'mon lights i know you know better than that.

No one including myself is getting carried away by Rios but the kid had a very good win in very good fight he deservs props for beating one of the top LW's in the world in brutal fashion.

By the way no hard feelings here just saying.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 27 2011, 06:27 AM) *
IMO, this is a early FOTY candidate.

Rios takes too much punishment currently to be able to compete for an extended period of time in the weight classes where his body is certainly taking him. He will be exciting along the way though.

I don't know Rios is still young he has a good trainer in Garcia right now so i can see him improving on his defense he may never be a willie Pep but he can still sharpen things up. Along with his chin, heart, and punch i see him going pretty far as long as he doesn't let things get to his head that is.

Also IMO Acosta was the second best LW in the world with his skill set you knew he was gonna land alot but i don't see anyone else at LW with the exception of Marquez being as competitve with Rios not even Soto who i feel is on the downslide.

mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Feb 27 2011, 12:59 AM) *
C'mon bro i know he's not pinoy but no need to hate though. The guy in your avatar was there celebrating with Rios big time.

haha i implied a hint of jokingness in there with the "...lol" but yeah i won't lie when i say i'm not that big on Rios. Big props for overcoming adversity in the first 6 rounds to come back and win the fight in dramatic fashion, but the dudes skillset is so limited...it's too bad acosta succumbed to the pressure cus he woulda won that by a shutout otherwise. I have no doubts that another boxer-puncher (i.e. marquez type fighter) will come along at either 135 or 140 and end this kid's reign
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Feb 27 2011, 05:47 PM) *
haha i implied a hint of jokingness in there with the "...lol" but yeah i won't lie when i say i'm not that big on Rios. Big props for overcoming adversity in the first 6 rounds to come back and win the fight in dramatic fashion, but the dudes skillset is so limited...it's too bad acosta succumbed to the pressure cus he woulda won that by a shutout otherwise. I have no doubts that another boxer-puncher (i.e. marquez type fighter) will come along at either 135 or 140 and end this kid's reign

I don't know about that like i stated in an earlier post Acosta was arguably the second best in his weight class. Rios is hungry that coupled with a good chin, power and relentless pressure can take you pretty far in this sport it has worked for several other greats from the past aswell.

The CEO
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 27 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Can't find anything to dispute in your post except possibly your take on Soto. We will know more after his rematch with Antillon.

If Rios can continue to make weight, I have to agree that there is only JMM that might be able to handle him at 135. In fact, I am not convinced that anyone at 140 could stop him. But that is getting way too far ahead of the train.

I think Rios could take both Khan and Maidana out (if he can keep working like he did last night)...he cuts off the ring the way you're supposed to and is technically better than Maidana...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Feb 27 2011, 08:18 PM) *
I was a Cuevas fan way back in the day, but I consider it a tad harsh to suggest post mortem that Valero was equivalent to Cuevas. Valero was faster and had better defense, believe it or not. I don't think that Valero was any world beater but he was tough and obviously crazed.

I know you are being sarcastic, but I honestly think it is time for boxing to reevaluate the hand wrap issue. Have the wraps evolved into clubs under the guise of protecting the boxers' hands?

A professional fighter should not need massive cast like hand wraps to protect their weapons if they have developed technically sound striking technique. Yes I understand the differences but why don't you see MMA combatants protecting their hands like that? Their strikes are more varied but they manage with relatively minor wraps and striking gloves.

IMO, this is having the opposite effect of what was supposedly intended; protecting the health of the boxers.

Tightly regulated thinner wraps would lesson the likelihood of brain trauma and it would force the boxers to improve their striking technique in order to avoid hand injuries.

If a combatant is properly trained in striking technique, there is no need for excessive hand protection, although relatively greater protection during heavy bag work and sparring would lower the risk of training injuries.

I don't get it why is the handwrap issue coming up.

Is it because Rios and Nonito who both scored impressive KO's are both trained by Garcia who trained Marg for the Pac fight if so Marg got caught before he hooked up with Garcia.

Rios and Nonito are known for being very good punchers they didn't just start hitting hard over night. But if were gonna bring up these issues up why not bring them up when say Bute KO'ed Miranda easly or Abrham stopped Taylor or when Mayweather who's not known as a big puncher stopped Hatton.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Feb 27 2011, 04:36 AM) *
Rios just fought for his first title and your already trying to compare him to all time greats c'mon lights i know you know better than that.

No one including myself is getting carried away by Rios but the kid had a very good win in very good fight he deservs props for beating one of the top LW's in the world in brutal fashion.

By the way no hard feelings here just saying.

My bad Bazooka. Definitely a great win for Rios, and it was not a fair comparison.

I guess I expected too much from him last night. He looked awesome against Peterson IMO and did not look as good to me last night. BUT that could have been due to fighting a better opponent.
Jack 1000
Anyone else thought the scoring was too one-sided for Demarco-Sanchez? I was more impressed by Sanchez coming forward and putting pressure on Demarco than what Demarco was able to do. Antonio did ok for the first 4 rounds, in fact, I thought he took those rounds pretty well. But I could not find many middle rounds for Demarco at all and I thought Sanchez took most of them. I think I gave Demarco the last two rounds for a 114-114 draw. I could not believe the lopsided commentary score of something like 88-82 for Demarco going into the 10th round! What did Demarco do that was so great?

This was a draw to NO MORE than a two point win for either fighter. Only the local Nebraska judge, who had it 115-113 Demarco had it close to reality.

In contrast the commentary was spot on for Acosta-Rios! A great fight! Acosta taking the early rounds and Rios coming on huge in the later rounds, but neither man stopped trying. I had it 5-4 for Acosta, but with those two 10-8's for Rios, he was up by 2-3 points. Great scoring by the judges, and for the first time in a long time, decent ref job from Cortez!

Jack
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Feb 28 2011, 05:05 AM) *
Anyone else thought the scoring was too one-sided for Demarco-Sanchez? I was more impressed by Sanchez coming forward and putting pressure on Demarco than what Demarco was able to do. Antonio did ok for the first 4 rounds, in fact, I thought he took those rounds pretty well. But I could not find many middle rounds for Demarco at all and I thought Sanchez took most of them. I think I gave Demarco the last two rounds for a 114-114 draw. I could not believe the lopsided commentary score of something like 88-82 for Demarco going into the 10th round! What did Demarco do that was so great?

This was a draw to NO MORE than a two point win for either fighter. Only the local Nebraska judge, who had it 115-113 Demarco had it close to reality.

In contrast the commentary was spot on for Acosta-Rios! A great fight! Acosta taking the early rounds and Rios coming on huge in the later rounds, but neither man stopped trying. I had it 5-4 for Acosta, but with those two 10-8's for Rios, he was up by 2-3 points. Great scoring by the judges, and for the first time in a long time, decent ref job from Cortez!

Jack

Im wiht you on that one Jack.

Demarco looked like sh*t to me. Sanchez was nothing special he should have taken him out but Demarco looks like one of those guys that fights down to the level of his opposition.
flazi
just curious, did anyone catch or did they mention Rios' fight night weight? i swear that kid puts on at leat 12lbs after weighin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.