Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Filght Night Champion
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
TheFonz
I have the demo and the graphics are sick, the rhythm of fighting is good, and they added some cool features. I wish they hadn't messed with the controls from round 4 but I guess I will get used to it.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Mar 2 2011, 06:08 AM) *
I have the demo and the graphics are sick, the rhythm of fighting is good, and they added some cool features. I wish they hadn't messed with the controls from round 4 but I guess I will get used to it.

That's one of my main beefs with video games, man. They keep fucking with the controls from game to game. I jumped into the demo, and got destroyed because the uppercuts and hooks were different. I still have no clue, as I only tried it that once.

I wanna get the game, but right now 60 bucks is crazy. Once I get the hang of the demo, and the game goes down a bit (to at least 40 bucks) then I'll get it, if I don't luck out and get it via Gamefly first.

The Graphics are indeed incredible.
JLUVBABY
i got the demo too... as i never bothered with punching with the analog stick (i use the buttons) i was able to jump right into it... i may need to learn that analog stick cuzz it seems you can do a lot more when using it...
Byrd Man
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 2 2011, 09:46 AM) *
i got the demo too... as i never bothered with punching with the analog stick (i use the buttons) i was able to jump right into it... i may need to learn that analog stick cuzz it seems you can do a lot more when using it...

I don't believe the new one uses the sticks. At least the demo doesn't.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Mar 2 2011, 04:31 PM) *

the demo on the ps3 uses the right analog stick to punch cuzz ive played around with them... it gives you the choice between analog stick or buttons...
Fitz
QUOTE (Byrd Man @ Mar 3 2011, 09:31 AM) *

My demo did.
TheFonz
Mine used the analog stick.
BlueMercury
Pretty bad ass game.
Byrd Man
Ah I just jumped in with the buttons, so I didn't know.
The Original MrFactor
They have an IPHONE version for 4.99. The entire roster is not included. It may be just about 10 or 12 fighters. It was only 4.99. I'm having a ball playing it...
Fitz
Bought it today.

Only played 3 games to get the hang of it before I do legacy.

First game was Hopkins vs Taylor. I gave him a beating and stopped him in like the 5th. Dropped him once before I dropped and finished him in the end.

Then I went DLH and had a tune up with Zab Judah. I knocked him out cold with a left hook half way through round 1, then the referee didn't count, and waved it off.

Then went Mosley and had a fight with Ortiz, and Ortiz then fucking stopped me with one shot in the first. Had an immediate rematch, and was beating him, got dropped in the second. Then buzzed a few rounds later, and even though I was winning. Mosley began to gas. Then I had to turn it off as I had to get off. But I am going to have to give Ortiz a fucking whipping next time I play, and it won't be with Mosley. Fucking cunt Ortiz.
ViperSniper
I think the graphics are pretty impressive and I like the layout to the game, the entrance and the knockdowns are pretty sick. It looks like your watching a fight on tv. But the roster is weak, specially with all those custom made boxers they added in instead. Not feelin how the blocking to the head or body is out of your power nor do I really like how they have once again changed the punching system. At the moment I think the gameplay is very average which is all I care about, not the whole movie like career mode they put their efforts into. I'm all for a game evolving, improving, and adding features but I feel they change and take away too much of the gameplay.

The more games they bring out, the more I think FNR1 is a classic.
and the NEW
With you there Viper. I loved the gameplay of earlier versions. The gameplay of the newer FNs really sucks! :-(

Haven't even bothered to get this version yet, will do when I get more spare time to spend playing it!

But for me also, it's ALL about the gameplay!
ViperSniper
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Mar 4 2011, 06:28 AM) *
With you there Viper. I loved the gameplay of earlier versions. The gameplay of the newer FNs really sucks! :-(

Haven't even bothered to get this version yet, will do when I get more spare time to spend playing it!

But for me also, it's ALL about the gameplay!

Absolutely! Game play is everything to me. You can have a game that has all these nice features and the latest up to date graphics n what not, but if the gameplay is average or frustrating then it kinda takes away the purpose of playing the game to begin with. For me, the FN's will get one thing right in one game, but then remove or change a feaure that needed no tampering with in the next..they just can't get the balance right. For me my favourite Fight Nights in order are..

FNR1 (Classic FN with great gameplay & solid roster)
FNR2 (Possible the best roster, most animated and arcade like of them all but gameplay didn't match 1)
FNR4 (This one grew on me, with good new features)
FNR5 (Poor roster, & average gameplay)
FRN3 (Solid roster, but gameplay was very average and was too slow)
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Mar 4 2011, 08:04 AM) *
Absolutely! Game play is everything to me. You can have a game that has all these nice features and the latest up to date graphics n what not, but if the gameplay is average or frustrating then it kinda takes away the purpose of playing the game to begin with. For me, the FN's will get one thing right in one game, but then remove or change a feaure that needed no tampering with in the next..they just can't get the balance right. For me my favourite Fight Nights in order are..

FNR1 (Classic FN with great gameplay & solid roster)
FNR2 (Possible the best roster, most animated and arcade like of them all but gameplay didn't match 1)
FNR4 (This one grew on me, with good new features)
FNR5 (Poor roster, & average gameplay)
FRN3 (Solid roster, but gameplay was very average and was too slow)

Although there were some fuck ups in FNR1, for example, not being able to punch as you move, and no clinching, it was still one of the best games of the franchise possibly better than the 4th one. However, one of the best boxing games ever was Knockout Kings 2001.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 4 2011, 02:42 PM) *
Although there were some fuck ups in FNR1, for example, not being able to punch as you move, and no clinching, it was still one of the best games of the franchise possibly better than the 4th one. However, one of the best boxing games ever was Knockout Kings 2001.

Great point. This was a big thing that the 1st game lacked that they ended up improving in the next couple of games. I like how they have added features that made the game(s) grow such as clinching, pushing, ducking and weaving ect. in the later games. But in some of the later games the actual game play just wasn't the same I feel. If your talking about the KK01' that I think you my be, I have only played it on psp and also really enjoyed that game.
SENTRAL
Played it on demo and liked it. I'm a PS3 user after two successive 360's died on me.
The Original MrFactor
This latest version of fightnight looks good, but...

Its too geared for button pushing. In most of my fights with my son, it turns out the fastest button pusher wins. Strategy go out the door in favor of rock 'em/sock 'em robots. Defense and slipping punches is non existant. You can still lean and hold your guard up, but the other guy can still hit you. The controls suck. Each year they have changed the controls... WHY??? What worked for FNR4 should still work for this, but they changed a few things. Then, who are all the stiffs that they loaded into the game?? I'd rather they left us the extra space to create more boxers to share online.

Then online, why is it that people feel the need to make Harry Potter or Eminem or Tupac for the boxer share.. AAAAHHH!!! I wish they had a moderator for the silly stuff that gets uploaded.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 4 2011, 05:16 PM) *
This latest version of fightnight looks good, but...

Its too geared for button pushing. In most of my fights with my son, it turns out the fastest button pusher wins. Strategy go out the door in favor of rock 'em/sock 'em robots. Defense and slipping punches is non existant. You can still lean and hold your guard up, but the other guy can still hit you. The controls suck. Each year they have changed the controls... WHY??? What worked for FNR4 should still work for this, but they changed a few things. Then, who are all the stiffs that they loaded into the game?? I'd rather they left us the extra space to create more boxers to share online.

Then online, why is it that people feel the need to make Harry Potter or Eminem or Tupac for the boxer share.. AAAAHHH!!! I wish they had a moderator for the silly stuff that gets uploaded.

i got knocked out by michael jackson last year on fnr4... lol....
JONdaCON817
SPOILERS****

IDKKK. i bought this game the day it came out and have been addicted to it ever since...
ive played all the FNs. (including Knoccout Kings) but this one isnt too bad. The story mode is great. The graphics look like a movie. You dnt have to necessarily fight whole fights in story mode, the game juss puts you in certain points of the fight that go according to the movie.. (ie. at one point you have to fight with one hand cuz you get yours broken in prison) The Controls havent changed much, idkk i guess the demo is diff.

X- Left Hook
Square- jab
Triangle- Straight
O- Right Hook

X+Square= left uppercut
Triangle+O= Right uppercut
R1- power punch
R2- blocc
L1- ?
L2- Lean

D-Pad is taunting, headbutt, lowblow, ect.
You can also still punch with the Analog sticc. (ive found KOs are easier when using the Analog)

**one thing i deff like is the way the punches flow... (if you push something 3x he'll swing three times even if you pushed them 20 sec before) so button mashing can actually hurt you. Youll also notice you have to be more conscious of how many power punches you throw.. on the old one i would juss throw the same haymaker uppercut over and over but with the new one its pretty easy to gas your fighter (esp. HWs) if you juss throw haymakers, so in my opinion its set up better to combo punch.

The Roster isnt bad. there was very little BWs, FWs, LWs, and LHW.. with a alot of fighters in HW, MW, and WW as youd imagine.

i dont wanna give away to much (sorry if i already have) but the fights are pretty sicc. Theres alot of Flash KOs in this one. its not as easy to KO someone whos had there Bell Rung but sometimes if you catch em on the button the camera zooms in and lets you hit some nasty Slow Motion Combos to drop your opponent.

umm.. if you wanna kno anything else juss ask. but all in all the game is great. i encourage all to purchase it.
and the NEW
Thx for that wrap JON.

Quick Q, is the gameplay realistic enough that you can fight as a boxer, i.e box and move, use angles, use the jab to keep distance and score points etc? I really can't get into a boxing game unless you can actually use the sweet science and a lot of them you can't.
Byrd Man
My thoughts on this:

I kinda dig the Champion Mode, although it's got it's issues.

I like the fact that it FORCES you to learn the game and how to fight using all styles. Some fights you get a bad ass cut right away, and you have to keep him from tagging your cut. If he hits you 15 times in a round on that cut, you go down.

Another one you break your hand, and you end up having to fight left handed ONLY, otherwise your health goes down rapidly using your right hand.

There's ones where you can't go to the body for reasons I'm not going to spoil, and there's times when you HAVE to go to the body.

There's ones where you just have to survive the first two rounds before you have to go the body for three rounds, and ..well...I got my ass kicked in that fight so I don't know what happens after that.

So those who come in trying to just do a single dimensional fighting style, will not make it past a few fights, no matter HOW good you are, because certain things mean automatic losses.

The acting in the storyline is pretty good, if a bit cliched. You pretty much know everything that's going to happen, but it's still entertaining.

The last guy you fight is a BITCH to fight, and I still haven't beaten him, although I've only fought him once.

The controls are easier to use this time, as it combines the TPC and the buttons to create an all around punching system. They lose the haymaker option, or at least I can't find it if it's still there.

I think the selection of the fighters could be better. They have ONE bantamweight fighter, and that's Nonito. They couldn't get ANY more bantam weights? You can't even match him up against another bantamweight in the "FIGHT NOW" section.

You got Eddie Chambers and fucking Butterbean as heavyweights, but no Chris Byrd???? What the fuck is that shit?

Tessitore and Atlas are back and annoying as ever when they start repeating shit they've already said. Would have liked to see Kellerman doing some commentating, but he's HBO so that wasn't going to happen.

I like how they implemented Brian Kenny into the Champion Mode. That was interesting.

Byrd Man
Just beat Champion Mode. DAMN that motherfucker at the end was tough as shit. I think that was kinda bullshit how you had to fight that last fight, but I'll give them this much, it was definitely difficult. At least for me.

I hate that so many of the PS3 trophies are for ONLINE. Wish games would do away with that shit.
JD
Without giving anything away...once you get to the 8th round, he is insanely easy.
Byrd Man
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 16 2011, 06:24 AM) *
Without giving anything away...once you get to the 8th round, he is insanely easy.

yeah but GETTING to the eighth round is a bitch. lol
Byrd Man
Question about Rosters.

I'm kind of disappointed in the rosters. They have the MAIN fighters that you would think, but there's a lot of glaring omissions and some questionable inclusions.

In the HW division they included Butterbean, who was NEVER a legitimate fighter, and I'm not sure if he ever fought outside of the 4 round matches. Yet they don't have any fighters like Chris Byrd (two time HW champ), Ike Ibeabuchi, John Ruiz or David Tua.

Welterweight, they obviously are missing Floyd Mayweather Jr., but that could be a money thing. I've heard that rumor before, but don't know if it's ever been proven that he wanted a bunch of money to be included in the game.

Then you get down to Bantamweight and Flyweight and there's ZERO flyweights and only one Bantamweight (Nonito Donaire). No Vic Darchinyen? No King Kong Agbeko? Come on now.

I'm guessing some might be included in DLC, and I love the game, but the rosters leave something to be desired.

EDIT: found this post by a developer on the EA forums.
It's that time of year again. You win some, you lose some.

I'm not happy about it either. This is what Fight Night and KO Kings has gone through every year and it's never easy. Contracts are signed with fighters for a certain period of time and when they expire, we can't be certain we'll be able to reach another agreement with any of them.

- Some boxers were signed to deals over 3 years ago when things were pretty different, financially-speaking.

- All of the boxers that we lost were contacted, some of them several times by myself personally.

- I'm not kidding when I say this, sometimes we just don't hear back. Even from people we worked with previously.

- I personally had communications with one boxer - and his three different managers - over the course of 6 months.

- Arturo Gatti died under very suspicious circumstances. Sorry that we weren't able to re-do that contract in the wake of that. We would have signed him for an extra 2 years way back if we had known he was going to die. rolleyes_anim.gif

- Some guys we had to drop because of a lawsuit last year, you might recall.

- Sometimes we have have verbal agreements in place with guys we really want and because of time-pressures we spend thousands of dollars making them. Only to have them make further demands, attempt to renegotiate, or simply fail to send us signed paperwork. So poof! They're off the roster and we just burned that money. I can tell you how much Mike looooooves that.

- Some guys just have unrealistic demands.

Now, I know you probably don't care about this. The game doesn't have some of the guys you want, end of story. But like I've been saying for years, its not like boxing is chock-full of stand-up guys accustomed to a strict code of business ethics - nor is it populated by an abundance of athletes with a realistic perception of their brand value and/or mainstream appeal.

NOTE: Some guys are absolutely great. Very professional and very helpful.

All I'm saying is, we try our best and we didn't make the business of professional boxing an absolute clusterf**.
and the NEW
Awesome news there Fitz!! Thx.

2k makes a better NBA game than EA IMO, the gameplay is MUCH more realistic. Hopefully they will do the same for boxing!!!
Byrd Man
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Mar 27 2011, 12:45 AM) *
Awesome news there Fitz!! Thx.

2k makes a better NBA game than EA IMO, the gameplay is MUCH more realistic. Hopefully they will do the same for boxing!!!

you seem to have a higher opinion of 2K than I do (or a lot of people I know) lol.

I'd LOVE for HBO to make a good boxing game but with 2K involved...eh.

and the NEW
Well not really an opinion on 2k, just on the NBA game which I liked. Apparently EA has better graphics than 2k on NBA generally, but 2k gameplay is far better. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of graphics, a game is all in the gameplay to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.