Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Judah-Marquez
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
ViperSniper
Well the newly crowned IBF champ Zab Judah is calling out Juan Manuel Marquez! Interesting matchup.

Who do you guys take at 140?
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Mar 9 2011, 06:40 AM) *
Well the newly crowned IBF champ Zab Judah is calling out Juan Manuel Marquez! Interesting matchup.

Who do you guys take at 140?

Marquez. He'd probably suffer 1 or 2 flash knockdowns from Judah left hands, but like always would recover from them and give back better than he got. I think he KILLS Judah to the body and by the last third of the fight Judah would just be giving rounds away. Marquez 115-112.
Mean Mister Mustard
I don't know. Judah is a strong, fast 140 pounder who could easily drop JMM. The closest opponent Marquez fought to Judah would have to be Casamayor (in terms of counter punching style, and punch output). I really have doubts about whether a 37 year old Marquez could handle Judah's speed.
SmartyBeardo
It would be an interesting fight. JMM would definitely have a hard time catching up with the current incarnation of Zab. But I have to believe that JMM would impose his will on him. While this is certainly a new and improved (though older) version of Judah, I still do not see him having the fortitutde to withstand 12 rounds of JMM.

I also think it is a bad move. Alexander would probably pull a Sister Wlad to fight Zab. That would be a battle of more equal wills.
D-MARV
I'm gonna go with the minor upset and pick Judah by decision.

Judah would be the bigger, faster, stronger fighter in there. His mental capacity is that of a two year old so Marquez will definitely have a shot at breaking him down but I think Judah will have enough left in the tank to hold off a late rally. It is definitely an intriguing fight.
HaydelHammer
I'm taking JMM by UD. Like most I expect a flash knockdown in judah favor early on.

I can see JMM going all JMM and Judah going Judah and fall apart/tire then get caught with every counter possible and each round getting worse and worse for him on the way to a UD loss in 12.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 9 2011, 06:51 AM) *
Marquez. He'd probably suffer 1 or 2 flash knockdowns from Judah left hands, but like always would recover from them and give back better than he got. I think he KILLS Judah to the body and by the last third of the fight Judah would just be giving rounds away. Marquez 115-112.

That sounds about right.
neophyte7
Marquez gets dropped more than once and possibly KOd... above 135 he is not the same fighter and I don't think he hits hard enough above 135... Judah's confidence is back and he and Pernell will be even better...
JLUVBABY
i saw nothing in judahs ko over mabuza besides a solid punch that suggest he can beat marquez... marquez would dismantle judah and stop him late (8-12)...
dhoward126
It would be tremendously hard to pick Marquez against ANY top 140 pounder to be honest. Marquez is already slowing down, he's become much more hittable and while he's one tough son of a bitch he was getting knocked around by Juan Diaz in their first fight and he's not a hard puncher at all. Not to mention the Katsidis fight where he absorbed good shots early on but didn't have a world class opponent (like Judah would be) that knew how to make adjustments. Judah's speed and power would be much too much for Marquez, but if Mayweather couldn't stop him at 147 I'd be very surprised if Judah ended up stopping him.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 9 2011, 07:22 AM) *
Marquez gets dropped more than once and possibly KOd... above 135 he is not the same fighter and I don't think he hits hard enough above 135... Judah's confidence is back and he and Pernell will be even better...

If he evolves even further, the scenario you describe is possible. The weight is not an issue for JMM, IMO. He generally comes into the ring in the low to mid 140's.

How much does JMM have left? How much more can Zab absorb from Sweet Pea?

At this point I have to go with the proven heart. Judah's is still in question.
KookedKrack
Judah just doesn't throw enough punches for a guy like Marquez even this version of him....maybe a flash kd or two like others have said but I would take Marquez by decision.
mexi-cutioner
I went out on a limb and predicted Judah to win...looks like i'm the only one that thinks he can pull it offf so far lolol
Fitz
I haven't seen all of Judah's last fight. But call me stupid for picking Judah in a big fight, but I think I might like Judah in this one at the moment.
BrutalBodyShots
I don't see Judah being able to do enough damage on Marquez, outside of the occasional straight left (which Marquez certainly is vulnerable to) getting in. Katsidis and Diaz IMO on paper give Marquez a tougher fight because they were younger, fresher, swarming type opponents that made the older Marquez work. I don't see Judah really making Marquez work in there. Also Marquez IMO puts his shots together better than any opponent Judah has faced... yes, even Mayweather in terms of combination punching, so Judah will take precision shots even if they are from a guy that doesn't hit incredibly hard at 140. Marquez' body work is top notch, and that will be a big factor if they fight. I think Cotto is a similar gauge for this fight... in that Cotto puts his combinations together well and goes to the body. Not suggesting of course that Marquez has the size/power of Cotto naturally, but timing and accuracy are huge pros for Marquez here.

I think Judah and Marquez probably split the first 6 rounds 3 apiece with Judah taking a slight leads on the cards due to a knock down or two, rounds 7-8 are close but likely Marquez rounds and 9-12 is when Marquez basically runs away with the fight having landed a lot of shots on Judah, especially to the body where Judah would be more in survival mode, but not ever really hurt bad or in danger of being stopped.

Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 9 2011, 06:40 PM) *
I don't see Judah being able to do enough damage on Marquez, outside of the occasional straight left (which Marquez certainly is vulnerable to) getting in. Katsidis and Diaz IMO on paper give Marquez a tougher fight because they were younger, fresher, swarming type opponents that made the older Marquez work. I don't see Judah really making Marquez work in there. Also Marquez IMO puts his shots together better than any opponent Judah has faced... yes, even Mayweather in terms of combination punching, so Judah will take precision shots even if they are from a guy that doesn't hit incredibly hard at 140. Marquez' body work is top notch, and that will be a big factor if they fight. I think Cotto is a similar gauge for this fight... in that Cotto puts his combinations together well and goes to the body. Not suggesting of course that Marquez has the size/power of Cotto naturally, but timing and accuracy are huge pros for Marquez here.

I think Judah and Marquez probably split the first 6 rounds 3 apiece with Judah taking a slight leads on the cards due to a knock down or two, rounds 7-8 are close but likely Marquez rounds and 9-12 is when Marquez basically runs away with the fight having landed a lot of shots on Judah, especially to the body where Judah would be more in survival mode, but not ever really hurt bad or in danger of being stopped.

Very good points there Brutal. Judah is a highly economical fighter, and the slow pace might favour JMM. Marquez though, likes it when guys go to him, that way he has more options for his attack, but when guys fight him from a distance and lure him in (Norwood, John, Pacquiao II) his offense is somewhat blunted. You bring up the point about whether Marquez has the power to hurt Judah, but I also question if at this stage he has the speed to land on Judah. True, Judah has been exposed as a guy, who despite his speed, is not an outstanding defensive fighter like Mayweather. However, against a slower, smaller Marquez, he might look like Willie Pep in there.
JONdaCON817
I voted Judah... i juss cant help but remember how bad he looked against May.. and him and Judah have somewhat similar styles with the counters and speed. Mayweather made him look slowwwww. judah can too to some extent, he would juss have to be the busier fighter.. i see Judah tryin to land that sneaky uppercut early and often.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 9 2011, 06:40 PM) *

Interesting you bring up the Cotto fight. Zab faced what was probably close to a prime Cotto, when he himself was coming off a decent period of inactivity and gave Cotto all he could handle for 11 rounds and had Cotto hurt so bad at times that he resorted to trying to punch Zab's balls off. In fact I think it may have been Zab's finest performance. He also gave a prime Mayweather his hardest fight in probably 10 years.

Certainly Zab looks a bit shop worn now, but then so does Marquez. Due to size alone I'd make Zab a live dog in this one and trust me I'm no Zab Judah fan.
JLUVBABY
another plus for jmm is him having to make 140 instead of 135 at this point means less time making weight and more time refining skill set.. this is jmm's fight... i am not sold on judahs win over mabuza... it was one punch in desperation when he was hurt in a fight he was losing... had he appeared to turn the clock back i'd be saying something different but he didnt... yes he got the win... ultimately he the knockout was impressive, but.... it was still the same judah that fought mathysis only with a tad better defense... you could see whitakers work on defense... that defense kept him in the fight.. just saying... if the fights made and judah some how beats marquez.. ill give him more credit but he wont beat marquez... no way...
Provo2O9
this would be a interesting match,i picked judah! even though i see JMM pulling out a Decisicon..LOL.its just JMM gets caught and gets droped im wondering if he will be able to take Zab's punch.
AussieLad
Judah will take this. He is a mental midget, but he has the size, the speed and power on his side. He will drop marquez early, before JMM can adjust to the speed. Maybe drop him a couple of times
and the NEW
I'm surprised how much credit Judah is getting.

I love him, his explosive, flashy and fast boxing is exciting to watch, but the Surgeon JMM would be way too much for super Judah. Judah can't stop him nor outboxing him, Marquez could either pressure and dominate the late rounds, or sit back and counter him to a decision win.
neophyte7
If I am sweet pea I send Judah straight at JMM behind the right jab... try to get JMM hurt early jump on him like Pac did when they met.
gravytrain
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Mar 12 2011, 07:39 AM) *

I love him, his explosive, flashy and fast boxing is exciting to watch, but the Surgeon JMM would be way too much for super Judah. Judah can't stop him nor outboxing him, Marquez could either pressure and dominate the late rounds, or sit back and counter him to a decision win.

i think it really depends on how JMM can recover from some KDs. i think he'll get knocked down but be able to recover, if Judah doesn't take rounds off it might be hard to come back. what i'm really wondering is why the fuck Judah is going for Marquez instead of a 140lber.
Fitz
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 13 2011, 12:43 PM) *
i think it really depends on how JMM can recover from some KDs. i think he'll get knocked down but be able to recover, if Judah doesn't take rounds off it might be hard to come back. what i'm really wondering is why the fuck Judah is going for Marquez instead of a 140lber.

Probably because a fight with Marquez is the easiest for him and also has the most upside with that name on his resume as well. That's what I think anyways, and I don't blame him for trying to take this path.
He will have less of a chance against the big boys at 140, he will just milk it for what he can.
BigG
I'll go for Marquez to outbox Judah but Judah looks good at 140....I think he'll give Marquez some problems but I pick to win Marquez in the end.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 12 2011, 10:13 PM) *
Probably because a fight with Marquez is the easiest for him and also has the most upside with that name on his resume as well. That's what I think anyways, and I don't blame him for trying to take this path.
He will have less of a chance against the big boys at 140, he will just milk it for what he can.

that was more of a "this isn't a real comeback" comment than wondering why he was wanting it lol.
ViperSniper
As unpredictable and at times disappointing as Judah can be, I feel he may be overlooked a bit in this match up, coupled with JMM giving too much of a pass in a division he will loose some of his strengths in. I think we are used to Marquez always getting up from KD's, but he can't keep doing that forever. Not only does have rubbery legs, Marquez is getting old and doesn't belong at 140 to begin with. Judah will make JMM look slower than usual, with his boxing and moving, not to mention he still has fast hands and KO power in both fists.

As great as Marquez is, he hasn't faced a fighter with the power of Judah and with his southpaw style and aggressive offense, all Judah needs is to put Marquez down to take this fight. With JMM shown to be put down many times, and Judah with his speed and power I think this match up falls in favour of Zab Judah.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 12 2011, 01:52 PM) *
If I am sweet pea I send Judah straight at JMM behind the right jab... try to get JMM hurt early jump on him like Pac did when they met.

But if a monster like Pacqiuao couldn't finish or decisively beat Marquez what makes you think Judah can.

lloyd mayflower
I think i'd die a little inside if a knobhead like Judah put the nail in the career of one of my favourite fighters of all time.
AussieLad
QUOTE (and the NEW @ Mar 12 2011, 12:39 PM) *

Its not about the skill, or the will, as marquez would win that fight hands down. Its the size. Marquez does not belong at 140 or above.
caneman
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 13 2011, 04:36 PM) *
Its not about the skill, or the will, as marquez would win that fight hands down. Its the size. Marquez does not belong at 140 or above.

I agree 100% aussie!
ViperSniper
QUOTE (AussieLad @ Mar 13 2011, 10:36 PM) *

That's exactly right, it's no knock on Marquez, it's not about Judah being a greater or more skilled fighter at all. There has got to be a point in a fighters career where you gotta draw the line in a fighters expectations and capabilities. As great as Marquez is, he is only human & being a former 126 fighter would not be a good idea for him to fight past 135 & against a dangerous fighter in Judah (specially early where Marquez has shown to be hurt) he has the boxing skills, size & one punch power to beat Marquez.

The weight and style would be a bad combination for the great talent of Marquez.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.