Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HBO: Martinez vs. Dzinzirk@10:30pm(ET)/7:30PM (PT)-SPOILERS 15 Mins Later
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
For all on-going and post-fight comments about tonights HBO card. Keep everything in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
D-MARV
Apparently, Andy Lee just scored a dramatic, last minute knockout... most reports had him down on the cards!
lloyd mayflower
Fuckin tattie howkin bastard!
Mean Mister Mustard
Wow, Martinez is good. He out jabbed the jabber. He took a couple of flush shots but his speed and power are too much for these guys.
gravytrain
Martinez TKO 8.

RJJ can be hilarious on the telecasts, dude said something like "Martinez thinks he's a superhuman fighter, like RJJ type of fighter".
Cheesey1
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Mar 13 2011, 12:04 AM) *
Wow, Martinez is good. He out jabbed the jabber. He took a couple of flush shots but his speed and power are too much for these guys.

Definitely. Well done Sergio, nice show.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 12 2011, 11:21 PM) *
Apparently, Andy Lee just scored a dramatic, last minute knockout... most reports had him down on the cards!

It was a good fight. Nice, crisp punching with from two guys who knew what they were doing. Congrats to Andy Lee, well deserved.
kidbazooka1
Wow martinez just outboxed and stopped a very good undefeated fighter in very impressive fashion and like the HBO crew kept saying most experts thought it was gonna be a back and foth fight where martinez would have had to adjust and comeback to win yet he pretty much dominated almost every rd. Also at 36 Martinez really does seem to be getting better.

I love Martinez style lots of mevment but none of it running. The guy is as athletic as they come in boxing and you could clearly see he has way more confidence in his power.

I don't see anyone beating Martinez right now not Manny not Mayweather not anyone.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Mar 13 2011, 12:20 AM) *
It was a good fight. Nice, crisp punching with from two guys who knew what they were doing. Congrats to Andy Lee, well deserved.

Crisp Punching?

HAhahahah are you kidding me that sh*t was horrible they threw punches like they just began boxing especially that Mcewan fella.

Lee better give it up or not get in with an elite fighter cause that guy is an accident waiting to happen.
ThePrevailingWindz
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Mar 12 2011, 09:32 PM) *
Wow martinez just outboxed and stopped a very good undefeated fighter in very impressive fashion and like the HBO crew kept saying most experts thought it was gonna be a back and foth fight where martinez would have had to adjust and comeback to win yet he pretty much dominated almost every rd. Also at 36 Martinez really does seem to be getting better.

I love Martinez style lots of mevment but none of it running. The guy is as athletic as they come in boxing and you could clearly see he has way more confidence in his power.

I don't see anyone beating Martinez right now not Manny not Mayweather not anyone.

I'd still pick Mayweather over Martinez. I'd also give James Kirkland and Dmitry Pirog a good chance.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (ThePrevailingWindz @ Mar 13 2011, 01:45 AM) *
I'd still pick Mayweather over Martinez. I'd also give James Kirkland and Dmitry Pirog a good chance.

No way bro krikland as tough as he is is too one dimensional for Sergio he would get worked over do doubt in my mind. Plus who the hell has Kirkland fought any way to show that he belong or could evne hang with Martinez same thing goes for Pirog.

As for Floyd like Smarty said it will never happen cause we all know Floyd will never step up(but i bet Pacqiuao has the balls too) but if they did Sergio has the speed, power and overall style to give Floyd his first loss.
Fitz
Martinez looked excellent in that fight. Really, really good. His jab was the most impressive in the fight, he used it extremely well.

I cannot rate Donaire above Martinez at this point. I think Martinez has been as impressive and been fighting better opposition as well. Though the top half of p4p lists are getting really, really close now.
ViperSniper
Wow! Sergio Martinez!!

I was very curious and nervous for this fight as I thought after all the high quality fights and exposure it may have been a fight where Sergio may have not had the motivation needed for this fight. Also based on all reports I was expecting a tough, possible ugly fight for Martinez, but he was very relentless with his jab and didn't get trigger happy either..just fought a smart composed fight and over matched his opponents biggest weapon.

There may be few who may possibly have Sergio at P4P #1, as he has created some arguments as I feel he doesn't need to get in the ring with Mayweather or Pacquaio to dethrone there P4P title, all he needs to do is keep fighting the way he is, and if he continues putting on performances like that he could get there much sooner, rather than later. (same goes for Donaire).

It's hard not to respect, nor be impressed with a fighter like Sergio Martinez who has shown to do a bit of everything in the ring against top notch fighters and do so in impressive fashion. The guy has fought everyone and had just took out a tough, respected, undefeated fighter who had never been dropped in his life.

Really looking forward to his next move!
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 13 2011, 12:37 PM) *
Martinez looked excellent in that fight. Really, really good. His jab was the most impressive in the fight, he used it extremely well.

I cannot rate Donaire above Martinez at this point. I think Martinez has been as impressive and been fighting better opposition as well. Though the top half of p4p lists are getting really, really close now.

Although Donaire to me seems more of a threat to those around him & perhaps as more opportunity than Sergio, I do agree that the consistency of competition is definitely in Martinez favour at the moment. The P4P gap is closing extremely fast, it's really packed at the moment smile.gif
D-MARV
Martinez is really good.
JD
I honestly don't think some people appreciate how impressive of a win last night was.

D-MARV
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 13 2011, 09:53 AM) *
I honestly don't think some people appreciate how impressive of a win last night was.

Not many people will appreciate it JD... It was one of the finer wins I have seen in a very long time. Martinez is on another level right now and I really have a hard time finding someone around his weight that can beat him. I'm a HUGE Cotto fan and I'm praying that they don't make this fight.
Fitz
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 14 2011, 01:08 AM) *
I'm a HUGE Cotto fan and I'm praying that they don't make this fight.

They won't. Not for the next fight at least. I'm about 95% sure that Margarito is his next fight.
JD
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 13 2011, 10:08 AM) *
Not many people will appreciate it JD... It was one of the finer wins I have seen in a very long time. Martinez is on another level right now and I really have a hard time finding someone around his weight that can beat him. I'm a HUGE Cotto fan and I'm praying that they don't make this fight.

For anyone that had seen Dznziruk before, to make him look like Sergio did was really something special.

Neither Pac nor Floyd will go near him...and in fairness they shouldn't. The only way I see Martinez getting challenged is if he goes up to super middle. Cotto would get hammered in there, I would actually rather see him fight Dznziruk, that would be a damn good matchup.
Big Slim Sweet
Sensational performance by Sergio Martinez. That's three fights in a row now where he's dominated top level guys, each of whom presented completely different styles.

A couple weeks ago I scoffed at the idea of Sergio being rated p4p #1. That's not the case anymore. He has been making his case emphatically.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Surprised more people are not talking about the Lee-McEwan fight. I felt that will be candidate for fight of the year, right behind the Rios fight. I mean Lee starts out hurting McEwan, then McEwan takes over and almost gets Lee out of there, then BAM. What a fight, and what a huge comeback for Andy Lee. He does not get back on HBO if he doesn't win that fight. Now HBO would love to have him on after a fan friendly performance like that. He's easy to hit, but he can come back. Gotta love Andy Lee.

Sergio Martinez fought great. He has such slickness and a great jab. I'd love to see him fight Kirkland, but would rather see him in against Floyd or Manny. That'd be a great opportunity for the p4p best fighters to duke it out.
caneman
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Mar 13 2011, 01:32 AM) *

I agree with you 100% right now...he is a beast! I wonder if PBF & his camp will say he is on roids now!? lolz! Both are way to small for him right now though & don't see either guy going any where near Martinez. I think he could stop both of them with no problem!

QUOTE (ThePrevailingWindz @ Mar 13 2011, 01:45 AM) *

PBF gets stopped IMO but those 2 guys might be on point but they both get stopped right now too! I think he would have to fight Ward to even get tested & I think I would take Martinez TKO there as well!
D-MARV
QUOTE (caneman @ Mar 13 2011, 02:42 PM) *
I agree with you 100% right now...he is a beast! I wonder if PBF & his camp will say he is on roids now!? lolz! Both are way to small for him right now though & don't see either guy going any where near Martinez. I think he could stop both of them with no problem!

PBF gets stopped IMO but those 2 guys might be on point but they both get stopped right now too! I think he would have to fight Ward to even get tested & I think I would take Martinez TKO there as well!

Slow down now Caneman, LOL...

Martinez is a beast! But I'm not ready to say he stops anyone at 168...

People should really leave Manny and Floyd's name out of this. Martinez is 2 weight classes bigger than them. I guess Cotto should fight Carl Froch next!
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 13 2011, 03:23 PM) *
Slow down now Caneman, LOL...

Martinez is a beast! But I'm not ready to say he stops anyone at 168...

People should really leave Manny and Floyd's name out of this. Martinez is 2 weight classes bigger than them. I guess Cotto should fight Carl Froch next!

I just said stop Ward by TKO not anyone...I think @ 168 there could be a few that have a style that COULD beat him but I still take Martinez by the TKO in 9 roulds! I do feel Martinez has the stuff of what true champs are made of!
D-MARV
Ward is a different beast then PWIll, Pavlik, and Dzinzirk. Ward is every bit of the athlete that Martinez is and is just as skilled.
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 13 2011, 02:46 PM) *
Ward is a different beast then PWIll, Pavlik, and Dzinzirk. Ward is every bit of the athlete that Martinez is and is just as skilled.

AGREED!!! I still got Martinez!
TheFonz
P4P #1 In my book.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 13 2011, 03:46 PM) *

Maybe just as athletic but Ward doesn't have Sergios's power and most importantly hasn't shown heart martinez has shown he has what it take to win in any situtation Ward on the other hand is always content to punch, grab and hold his way to victory.

Ward to me is like a more skilled version of John Ruiz.

Martinez stops ward brutaly IMO.
Big Slim Sweet
Ward has shown nothing whatsoever to indicate that he does not have a champion's heart.

But I'd rather see Martinez stay at 160 as well. He can fight Sturm, Abraham maybe, Pirog, and eventually see some of the guys coming up like Kirkland and Angulo. I honestly think he can forget about Mayweather or Pacquaio, or any of the other established stars controlled right now by Top Rank or Golden Boy.

He just needs to stay patient for a year or two and follow the blueprint Bernard Hopkins laid out before him. Eventually if he keeps winning guys are going to have to come up and see him.
D-MARV
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Mar 13 2011, 06:07 PM) *
Ward to me is like a more skilled version of John Ruiz.

LMAO.
D-MARV
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 13 2011, 06:24 PM) *
After a closer look at the Middleweight picture, The Man v Felix Sturm is the fight to be made. Nobody else deserves a shot at SMartinez yet.

Pirog has not earned a shot with his distant past victory over the overrated Jacobs. His next fight v Javier Francisco Maciel (rated somewhere over the horizon) will not get it done.

Meanwhile, N'Dam N'Jikam is fighting who? Giovanni Lorenzo?

Lemieux is continuing to pad his overblown KO record with Marco Antonio Rubio.

Daniel Geale and Gennady Golovkin have nothing scheduled.

Come the fuck on man! These dudes need to fight each other. A four man (single elim) tourney would make sense. Pirog v Golovkin or N'Dam N'Jikam or Geale or Lemieux would be great on the undercard of SMartinez v Sturm or Bradley v Khan or whichever Sister Klit v Haye. One or even two of these guys could be the future of the Middleweight Div, but none of them have earned a shot.

Step up to the plate Felix. Its your turn.

I have more of a chance of having a threesome with Rhianna & Nicki Minaj then Sturm stepping up and fighting Martinez.
Big Slim Sweet
I think Sturm would fight Martinez if he got paid enough. That's on HBO.

Andy Lee's another guy he can face while he waits for bigger fish. Lee was willing to do it last night, and with his big win HBO may be willing to approve him this time around.
caneman
I think Martinez could clean out 160 easy & do the same @ 168! I like that he stays busy & fights top notch op. And the super 6 still might not even have a winner! lolz!
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 13 2011, 06:42 PM) *
He is a larger version of Bradley, IMO, but he has more gears and adjustments under the hood.

Bradley doesn't pull that hit, grab and hold sh*t. Thats Wards keys to victory in almost every fight.

And like i have said in the past this is coming form a guy who is from the same town as Ward.

Nonito is repping the Bay the way it should be Ward has never impressed me though.
Big Slim Sweet
Kermit the Frog is another guy Sergio could face later this year. They have a built-in storyline with that horseshit draw, plus a lot of folks think he was on his way to knocking out Paul Williams before Martinez did it.
D-MARV
Cintron gave Air Force 1 the blueprint.

Kermit doesn't deserve a fight with Martinez, he was already beaten twice by Martinez.
EAlbian

I am very impressed with Sergio Martinez right now. What he did was great but Knocking out a 154lb champ and a former 154lb champ doesnt mean he's gonna stop Andre Ward. I think Ward is extremely talented and hasnt even been in a close fight. He destroyed Kessler when no one was picking him and wasnt in trouble ever with Sakio Bika who is a way bigger puncher than Martinez. Abraham has stated many times he cant make 160 anymore and thats why he went to 168 and he doesnt deserve a Martinez fight. Martinez should pursue greatness and that isnt felix sturm. he should look for Bute or Ward or even Hopkins. I think he's a live dog in any of those fights. If i'm Martinez i look for Sturm then Pavlik rematch and then super six winner or Bute followed by the winner of the Hopkins Dawson and Pascal triangle just my opinion
EAlbian
Cintron is garbage and deserves nothing but a swift kick in the testicles
ViperSniper
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Mar 13 2011, 11:22 PM) *
But I'd rather see Martinez stay at 160 as well. He can fight Sturm, Abraham maybe, Pirog, and eventually see some of the guys coming up like Kirkland and Angulo. I honestly think he can forget about Mayweather or Pacquaio, or any of the other established stars controlled right now by Top Rank or Golden Boy.

He just needs to stay patient for a year or two and follow the blueprint Bernard Hopkins laid out before him. Eventually if he keeps winning guys are going to have to come up and see him.

Agree.

He was only fighting a 154 not long ago, I don't think he should move up just yet, he still has fights to take at Middleweight. Sturm would be a good fight, but apparently Felix is aiming for a Pavlik fight. Maybe in a year or two if neither the P4P bests step up to the plate he could move up to 168 once that clears up, until then I think he should remain at Middleweight, stay busy, and wait for the fights to come to him. Would be nice for him to get his original title back and hand Chavez Jr. his 1st professional defeat already, as he stated he was disappointed he can no longer defend the same title Monzon once held.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 13 2011, 06:54 PM) *
You're from Oakland? I worked at the foot of Adeline for several years.

Yup born and raised.

Jack 1000
Sergio Martinez is right up there with Manny and Floyd right now. I think he is too big for Manny. Floyd might take him though. Hard to believe that this guy had a draw, although a bad draw with Cintron!

Jack
D-MARV
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 14 2011, 04:17 AM) *
Sergio Martinez is right up there with Manny and Floyd right now. I think he is too big for Manny. Floyd might take him though. Hard to believe that this guy had a draw, although a bad draw with Cintron!

Jack

Terrible draw indeed. Martinez Knocked Cintron out in the 7th on top of winning 9 rounds!
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 14 2011, 06:13 AM) *
Terrible draw indeed. Martinez Knocked Cintron out in the 7th on top of winning 9 rounds!

His confidence has also gone up since that fight.

If Martinez fought Cintron now he would stop him easly.
Big Slim Sweet
I also wasn't suggesting that Cintron is necessarily a worthy opponent for Martinez, just that it's a marketable fight for Sergio right now in lieu of something bigger and better.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 14 2011, 06:13 AM) *

Yea,

They fucked up there. I think the only time in boxing that I have ever seen a KO overturned during the fight. He was still down when the ref said 10. The commission, sanctioning body, even HBO's commentary bought into his "act."

The funny thing would be, what would Cintron try to do to get out of a Martinez fight in the ring, if he ever got another crack at him?

Jack
gravytrain
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 14 2011, 04:18 PM) *
Yea,

They fucked up there. I think the only time in boxing that I have ever seen a KO overturned during the fight. He was still down when the ref said 10. The commission, sanctioning body, even HBO's commentary bought into his "act."

The funny thing would be, what would Cintron try to do to get out of a Martinez fight in the ring, if he ever got another crack at him?

Jack

who knows with Cintron, he's a bitch. he'll probably tell the doc he can't continue then lie and say the doc wanted to stop it again.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 14 2011, 05:11 PM) *
who knows with Cintron, he's a bitch. he'll probably tell the doc he can't continue then lie and say the doc wanted to stop it again.

Hahaha

yeah that sounds like something his ass would pull.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.