Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NFL Lockout and boxing...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
JLUVBABY
I saw something Sunday evening that i found very interesting... ESPN talked boxing in detail in a way i havent seen in a very long time... they covered the cotto vs mayorga ppv which i found very interesting... my only thought was wow this lockout is the only reason this fight is getting this type of coverage on this channel... it was a good 5 or 6 minute piece on the card and it brought back memories of yesteryear when usa thursday and tuesday night fights made the channel if the fights where good enough... my question to you guys is do you think the nfl lockout will bring more exposure to some of the bigger fights on channels like espn or cnn sports due to a lack of topics on football?... if that is any indication i would say yes... they highlighted all 4 of the televised fights with that tommy z guy getting a good 2 minutes of the coverage being a pro player...
Method
No.
JD
The lockout itself is huge news and occurred at midnight on Friday, I don't think the fact that the CBA expired and the owners and players cannot come to an agreement had anything to do with the coverage of Cotto - Mayorga. Both fighters are well known and ESPN gave it a little press.

In the end, I don't see what is going on with the NFL doing anything for the sport of boxing - I see making good, interesting fights that are marketed well doing something for the sport.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (JD @ Mar 15 2011, 12:11 PM) *
The lockout itself is huge news and occurred at midnight on Friday, I don't think the fact that the CBA expired and the owners and players cannot come to an agreement had anything to do with the coverage of Cotto - Mayorga. Both fighters are well known and ESPN gave it a little press.

In the end, I don't see what is going on with the NFL doing anything for the sport of boxing - I see making good, interesting fights that are marketed well doing something for the sport.

what im asking tho is did the lack of nfl coverage have anything to do with this fight getting coverage?... not it necc. being good for the sport... there have been much bigger fights with better named fighters that didnt get coverage at all... just wondering... there wasnt a football lockout going on for those other fights... theres one now and all of a sudden boxing gets coverage... if there is boxing next sunday on espn there maybe be something to my theory... lol..
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 15 2011, 12:18 PM) *
what im asking tho is did the lack of nfl coverage have anything to do with this fight getting coverage?... not it necc. being good for the sport... there have been much bigger fights with better named fighters that didnt get coverage at all... just wondering... there wasnt a football lockout going on for those other fights... theres one now and all of a sudden boxing gets coverage... if there is boxing next sunday on espn there maybe be something to my theory... lol..

it's probably because some NFL players want to try boxing and Cotto/Mayorga was a recent fight to use with a PPV fighter like Cotto. they'll be giving coverage to the football players boxing though, that's without a question.
JD
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 15 2011, 01:18 PM) *

What lack of coverage?

We have had the CBA negotiations and lockout jammed down our throats for months now. That Friday night and Saturday the NFL was the hottest topic there was.

I don't think the coverage of Cotto - Mayorga had anything to do with the NFL lockout.
Method
If ANYTHING, the lockout INCREASED NFL coverage.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 15 2011, 02:24 PM) *
If ANYTHING, the lockout INCREASED NFL coverage.

but sportscenter cant fill a whole hour about the lockout... my point is maybe the lack of actual game coverage maybe helped that fight card get mentioned... there have been bigger fights than cotto vs mayorga that didnt get mentioned but in this case they showed highlights from all 4 fights... had a mini discussion of what might be next... i was like wow... i hadnt seen them cover that thoroughly since maybe dela hoya or back in the days when tyson was fighting and they would have cameras set up at the events... OR maybe they are just reporting on the sport in more detail again... just seemed strange they would cover that fight all of a sudden...
JD
There is no game coverage in March anyway.

The lockout coverage surpassed free agency coverage.

gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 15 2011, 02:41 PM) *
but sportscenter cant fill a whole hour about the lockout... my point is maybe the lack of actual game coverage maybe helped that fight card get mentioned... there have been bigger fights than cotto vs mayorga that didnt get mentioned but in this case they showed highlights from all 4 fights... had a mini discussion of what might be next... i was like wow... i hadnt seen them cover that thoroughly since maybe dela hoya or back in the days when tyson was fighting and they would have cameras set up at the events... OR maybe they are just reporting on the sport in more detail again... just seemed strange they would cover that fight all of a sudden...

they might do a little more than usual but i don't think there will be a lot more coverage for boxing. there are still lots of other sports to cover and boxing is largely irrelevant between the big PPVs since there's no real marketing, personality, or ass whipping to keep it in the spotlight. personally i think they'll discuss MMA and boxing cards a little more and devote some nice time to NFL players boxing if the players actually get some fights.

if Mayweather and Pac fight and the NFL is still gone i think that could get some real coverage though.
Method
"my point is maybe the lack of actual game coverage maybe helped that fight card get mentioned" - JLUV

What fucking GAME COVERAGE is taking place in March, dude?
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 15 2011, 03:55 PM) *
"my point is maybe the lack of actual game coverage maybe helped that fight card get mentioned" - JLUV

What fucking GAME COVERAGE is taking place in March, dude?

lol... goes to show how much i know about football... i dont follow any other sport really other than boxing so forgive my ignorance on not knowing... lol... point is it was strange for them give boxing that much time on sports center... i figured there'd be talking possible team matchups etc if not for the lockout... to further explain myself i dont really watch sports center or espn other than for fights... but i noticed years ago that they had quit reporting on boxing almost all together... 5 minutes (and it was probably longer but that bout how long it lasted when i flipped to the channel) for that fight, too me, was major... maybe the lockout has nothing to do with it... just asking everyones opinion...
Method
There's plenty of NFL coverage, IMO. I think much of it has obviously turned to the negotiations, but if not that, theyd be covering draft, etc.

I think the fight got the coverage it did on its own merit, whatever that is/was.

gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 15 2011, 04:34 PM) *
lol... goes to show how much i know about football... i dont follow any other sport really other than boxing so forgive my ignorance on not knowing... lol... point is it was strange for them give boxing that much time on sports center... i figured there'd be talking possible team matchups etc if not for the lockout... to further explain myself i dont really watch sports center or espn other than for fights... but i noticed years ago that they had quit reporting on boxing almost all together... 5 minutes (and it was probably longer but that bout how long it lasted when i flipped to the channel) for that fight, too me, was major... maybe the lockout has nothing to do with it... just asking everyones opinion...

i think it's probably just some filler for the episode, they never really do big reports on boxing anyway. it's usually just taking a couple mins to announce a fight, talk about one of the PPV fighters, or talk about the outcome of a fight. 5 minutes is usually the amount of time they give to Mayweather or Pac though so maybe things are looking a little up for boxing.

and as other people have been saying the NFL is getting more coverage right now than it usually would be.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 15 2011, 05:09 PM) *
i think it's probably just some filler for the episode, they never really do big reports on boxing anyway. it's usually just taking a couple mins to announce a fight, talk about one of the PPV fighters, or talk about the outcome of a fight. 5 minutes is usually the amount of time they give to Mayweather or Pac though so maybe things are looking a little up for boxing.

and as other people have been saying the NFL is getting more coverage right now than it usually would be.

the five minutes seem strange... and they talked about the other 3 televised cards as well.. lol... normally they dont show parts of those under card fights... just give outcomes... oh well... like i said i dont follow football or basketball... this is the main sport i follow so dont shoot me thinking there would be pre season games going on right now.. lol...
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 15 2011, 08:05 PM) *
the five minutes seem strange... and they talked about the other 3 televised cards as well.. lol... normally they dont show parts of those under card fights... just give outcomes... oh well... like i said i dont follow football or basketball... this is the main sport i follow so dont shoot me thinking there would be pre season games going on right now.. lol...

i think it's strange too, usually something like this will get maybe 2 minutes of coverage and that's just the main event. it'd be nice to see boxing get more rotation on there but unfortunately it takes a super fight most of the time.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 15 2011, 10:18 AM) *

Lol, this is one interesting and funny thread. JLUV are you not American? Did you grow up in a different country or something? I mean how could you not know that its not football season or did you not play sports as a kid growing up? Lol. Or are you working so much that you don't have time for the news on tv or to read the newspaper. Any american kid who's a sports fan knows when it's football season its ingrained in us when we were kids. Like you I'm a die hard boxing fan and I also don't follow football. It's boxing and baseball for me. But to not know it's not football season is as easy as turning on your TV. You can't get away from football coverage when it is season because it's always top headline on sports news on tv, the paper or Internet. Your post are really funny and entertaining to read though. But a basic answer to your question is no way.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Mar 16 2011, 03:32 PM) *
Lol, this is one interesting and funny thread. JLUV are you not American? Did you grow up in a different country or something? I mean how could you not know that its not football season or did you not play sports as a kid growing up? Lol. Or are you working so much that you don't have time for the news on tv or to read the newspaper. Any american kid who's a sports fan knows when it's football season its ingrained in us when we were kids. Like you I'm a die hard boxing fan and I also don't follow football. It's boxing and baseball for me. But to not know it's not football season is as easy as turning on your TV. You can't get away from football coverage when it is season because it's always top headline on sports news on tv, the paper or Internet. Your post are really funny and entertaining to read though. But a basic answer to your question is no way.

I never have followed football, basketball, baseball, hockey or any other sport other than boxing... boxing is the only sport ive ever and or will follow... with the exception of some mma... nope... didnt play sports in highschool as i was never interested tho i did like to fight and wished there was still boxing on the high school level... so i never was a sports fan tho i was a big fan of michael jordan... as far as me watching the news i dont watch much of current events... didnt know about the tsunami till probably close to 8 hours or more after it happened but i could have told you the goings ons in the great sport of boxing during that time frame.. guess my point is being from the usa doesnt automatically make you someone that knows what is going on in the sports world or automatically make you aware of the current sporting season... only people i know of in major sports besides kobe and and lebron james is the guy malar that plays baseball he's from my area and kendrick perkins formerly of the celtics not sure where hes at now but he owns a house in my neighborhood and is from here so i see him at the store by my house when he is in town buying snacks after smoking weed all day...im usually buying another case of beer... but im glad that you enjoy my post.. i try to keep them up beat when i can...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.