Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prime Mayorga vs Prime Margarito
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Fitz
Who wins?

I like Mayorga in this. Close fight, but Mayorga will take Margarito's shots, and was quicker than him also. Close fight that I would have loved to have seen, but I like Mayorga in a prime fight at 147.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
I'm not sure how Mayorga would react seeing Margarito taking his bombs and just smiling back at him. If Ricardo can deal with that he wins over 12, if it rattles him Margarito by brutal late round stoppage.
salvador
Marg would take all of Mayorga's shots and return fire with combos to the smoker's body in an all action fight.

Marg by ko inside of 8.
BrutalBodyShots
Mayorga 115-113 over Margarito at 147 in their primes.

Fitz
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 18 2011, 12:23 AM) *
Marg would take all of Mayorga's shots and return fire with combos to the smoker's body in an all action fight.

Marg by ko inside of 8.

Can't see Margarito stopping Mayorga, especially inside 8. Trinidad gave Mayorga a thorough beat down and hit harder than Margarito ever could and even then, it took a whole lot to break Mayorga down. Would be a close fight, but I think a prime Mayorga takes Margarito's shots.
That would have been one hell of a fight though.
AussieLad
Mayorga all the way. He had some heavy hands and an awesome chin in his prime. Which is why so many somewhat optimistically gave him a chance vs cotto, despite him being several years past his use by date.
blackbelt2003
Awesome fight. Awesome.

I'd go with Mayorga, albeit tentatively. I think he had a litle extra speed and got started a bit quicker than Margarito. Tony would take a few rounds to get into it, and although he'd close the show stronger, Mayorga would have landed enough leather to win a close majority of rounds.

Wish it could have happened. Fucking Cory Spinks.

Black
Big Slim Sweet
I was salivating for this fight in 2003 and would still pay to see it for all the same reasons that if they made Michael Myers vs. Leatherface I'd put it on my netflix queue faster than you can say Jack Robinson . I had Margarito then and I'll take Margarito now. I don't believe he was loading his gloves til after the fight with Williams.

Margarito TKO 12 in an epic war.
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 17 2011, 04:46 PM) *
Can't see Margarito stopping Mayorga, especially inside 8. Trinidad gave Mayorga a thorough beat down and hit harder than Margarito ever could and even then, it took a whole lot to break Mayorga down. Would be a close fight, but I think a prime Mayorga takes Margarito's shots.
That would have been one hell of a fight though.

Marg would have broken his body.
The Original MrFactor
Mayorga wanted no parts of a prime Margarito. Margarito by slow beatdown. Margarito KO9.
Fitz
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 19 2011, 02:51 PM) *
Mayorga wanted no parts of a prime Margarito. Margarito by slow beatdown. Margarito KO9.

How? Mayorga has fought Forrest, Trinidad, DLH, Mosley and Cotto, but scared of Margarito? That's strange.
D-MARV
QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Mar 18 2011, 11:51 PM) *
Mayorga wanted no parts of a prime Margarito.

LMAO.

The CEO
Mayorga stops Margarito in a battle...
EAlbian
Magarito is too slow of foot to beat Mayorga, Mayorga would land bombs that would have broken Margarito. Mosley did it, Mayorga in his prime would also of
neophyte7
Both are inferior pugilists with limited skills. Both are getting their asses kicked in the ring... a toss up
Warlord
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Mar 22 2011, 08:12 PM) *
Both are inferior pugilists with limited skills. Both are getting their asses kicked in the ring... a toss up

One of those inferior pugilists with limited skill beat a top P4P fighter twice. Actually he beat two, regardless of what the final decision was. Mayorga did more with what he had than most. That has to count for something.
Mean Mister Mustard
I agree that Margarito wasn't really ever that sharp or crisp so I don't see him landing as many flush shots on Mayorga as Trinidad and DLH did. I would still take him to wear Mayorga down by the late rounds and take the fight on a close decision. Mayorga has a shot, especially the 2003 version who was pretty quick with his overhand rights, and we know Margarito is no defensive fighter.
kidbazooka1
At there best both guys had heavy hands, stamina and an iron chin but very limited skill wise. Mayo won't have to look for Margarito this would be a phone booth war all the way.

I would lean towards Mayorga but it would be a very close fan friendly fight.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Warlord @ Mar 22 2011, 08:32 PM) *
One of those inferior pugilists with limited skill beat a top P4P fighter twice. Actually he beat two, regardless of what the final decision was. Mayorga did more with what he had than most. That has to count for something.

You're not counting Cory Stinks as a top P4P fighter are you?? laugh.gif

That fight and the horsecrap decision still piss me off.
Warlord
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Mar 23 2011, 11:52 PM) *
You're not counting Cory Stinks as a top P4P fighter are you?? laugh.gif

That fight and the horsecrap decision still piss me off.

Hey, I NEVER ranked Stinks as a P4P fighter, lol. I HATED that mother fucker. But there was an ass-load of people who did rank him.

And yeah, that decisions was horse shit. I still get burned thinking about it.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (Warlord @ Mar 24 2011, 02:07 AM) *
Hey, I NEVER ranked Stinks as a P4P fighter, lol. I HATED that mother fucker. But there was an ass-load of people who did rank him.

And yeah, that decisions was horse shit. I still get burned thinking about it.

I get burned just thinking about the speech that followed it. Cory all welling up and saying that the fight he wants next is "Shame Mow-slee." Lucky for him he didn't get it.
AussieLad
The power is the difference here. Neither guy is a defensive wizard, so they would both land their shots. Sure, Margs can absorb alot of punnishment, but Mayorgas chin was no joke either. Mayo had the one punch power, and with both guys trading that gives him the edge. I can see mayo stopping margs
RyanTical
How is this even a contest? Margarito would have dusted Mayorga.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.