Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Showtime@10PM(ET)/7PM(PT):Bute vs. Magee (SPOILERS 45 Mins. Latter) Cotto-Mayorga Rep. 1st
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
For all on-going and post-fight reactions to the Bute-Magee fight on Showtime. Note that the Cotto-Mayorga replay is scheduled first.

Jack

Administrator
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 19 2011, 01:42 PM) *
For all on-going and post-fight reactions to the Bute-Magee fight on Showtime. Note that the Cotto-Mayorga replay is scheduled first.

Jack

Administrator

This will be an easy KO win for Bute. Don't know why showtime decided to televise this.
The CEO
Ottke, Calzaghe, and Bute.

Ryan McPhee?
caneman
It was a win but I am not really impressed! He will have to step it up if he really wants the winner of the tourney cause he will get scuffed bad!
salvador
It really is impressive that Bute fills that arena every time he fights - it makes Canada look good. And it makes sense that Showtime would sign him to a big contract.

That said, I'll take Ward, Froch, and Kessler over Bute all day all night.
D-MARV
I would take Bute over Kessler
caneman
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 20 2011, 10:47 AM) *

I'd go with Kessler myself but it would be a decent scrap! Kessler 115-113.
salvador
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 20 2011, 10:47 AM) *

Bute had trouble taking Andrade's shots. Kessler by ko in the 8th.
D-MARV
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 20 2011, 05:41 PM) *
Bute had trouble taking Andrade's shots. Kessler by ko in the 8th.

LOL... I thought he took them well in his 4 round disposal.

Kessler is a robot. Bute by WIDE Decision, possible late stoppage.
Fitz
salvador I have noticed always backs the pressure puncher to win in most fights laugh.gif
gravytrain
i'm not too impressed with Bute yet, i think there's a lot of hype with him. for some guy that's supposed to be the best in the division it lasted longer than i expected and was closer than i expected especially with KDs included. i could easily see Ward, Froch, and Dirrell beating him.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 20 2011, 11:32 PM) *
i'm not too impressed with Bute yet, i think there's a lot of hype with him. for some guy that's supposed to be the best in the division it lasted longer than i expected and was closer than i expected especially with KDs included. i could easily see Ward, Froch, and Dirrell beating him.

i agree gravy... just something about bute... but i will say i think most of the super 6 will be leaving 168 after the tournament so bute may become the man by default... only guy im not sure about is dirrell as i think he will stay at 168 but from my understanding ward, froch and im sure johnson will be going to 175... and aa is going back down to mw... be interesting to see how that pans out and if ward moves to 175 its gonna be interesting to see how he deals with those bigger fighters.. mostly a guy like dawson or cloud whom im starting to feel deserves a bigger fight...
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 20 2011, 07:46 PM) *
salvador I have noticed always backs the pressure puncher to win in most fights laugh.gif

Pressure punchers virtually always win fights - whether or not they win boxing matches really only matters to the more sensitive among us.
EAlbian

I still think Martinez vs Bute is a great fight. Bute can only throw one punch at a time. If kessler can stay behind the jab and keep his weight on his back foot he could win by wide UD. On that note i think Bute stops kessler.

Bute is hurt by any clean punch that lands on the chin and i think Martinez has the speed to catch him and the power to hurt him. Bute is very accurate and has a very sneaky left uppercut that could catch Martinez coming in under a lazy or misguided jab. Ether way i think it would be a real fun fight with multiple knockdowns on both sides.

I think Bute beats froch and AA pretty easy. Ward is a good fight, tends to rush in over ther front of his feet with his hands wide, invites the uppercut. Dirrell if he fight to his potential has the easist time with him, too fast and long, stays on the outside and outboxes him. same with Dawson.
gravytrain
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 21 2011, 12:15 AM) *
i agree gravy... just something about bute... but i will say i think most of the super 6 will be leaving 168 after the tournament so bute may become the man by default... only guy im not sure about is dirrell as i think he will stay at 168 but from my understanding ward, froch and im sure johnson will be going to 175... and aa is going back down to mw... be interesting to see how that pans out and if ward moves to 175 its gonna be interesting to see how he deals with those bigger fighters.. mostly a guy like dawson or cloud whom im starting to feel deserves a bigger fight...

well since Showtime owns the division i see them giving us a fight between Bute and the winner of the S6. i think it'll turn out to be a Bradley/Alexander disappointment.

i'd like it if Ward moved up because he'd have to box again, he wouldn't be able to really muscle guys around anymore. if Hopkins is still on top of his game i think him and Ward would be a really interesting fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Mar 21 2011, 10:38 AM) *
I think Bute beats froch and AA pretty easy. Ward is a good fight, tends to rush in over ther front of his feet with his hands wide, invites the uppercut. Dirrell if he fight to his potential has the easist time with him, too fast and long, stays on the outside and outboxes him. same with Dawson.

nobody beats froch easy...
King Eugene
I dont see Bute beating Froch, Ward, or Dirrell. He'd have a better shot at Dirrell but I think Ward would rough him up and Froch would just out will him. Froch is game as hell, dont let the Kessler fight fool ya.

He blows Abraham out the water by a decision.
SENTRAL
Bute and Froch is hard to call but I lean towards Bute.
gravytrain
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 22 2011, 09:52 AM) *
That's shocking drag.gif

you and me both Beardo. i can't wait til he gets a real fight at 168 so the hype will be over. it's hard to believe some people can rate him over guys like Ward and Froch. maybe they should fight B fighters at home and they can get some respect?
EAlbian
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 22 2011, 04:16 PM) *
you and me both Beardo. i can't wait til he gets a real fight at 168 so the hype will be over. it's hard to believe some people can rate him over guys like Ward and Froch. maybe they should fight B fighters at home and they can get some respect?

Would you take Bute over Martinez though?
EAlbian
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 22 2011, 06:39 PM) *
Good fight at 164. I think SMartinez finishes him late.

I think it would be fair to go to 166, but i also think Martinez could take him at the full 168. Martinez looks very big at 160, he was 176 30 days out against Williams and cut. I mean he was already 2 months plus into camp, what did he start at?
EAlbian
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 22 2011, 07:10 PM) *
I think the dude just stays ripped. He's totally focused and goal oriented. Whoever beats him will have to bring the game of their life at this point.

I have to agree, i think he makes great fights because of this. Looking forward to seeing how his career wraps up, next 2 years will be very interesting. I think he will seek out the challenges and eventually move up to get the better fights, plus i think DiBella is good for boxing. He's a fight fan before anything else
Jack 1000
I thought for the first 5 rounds Bute did not look good. I had Magee up 3-2. But was unable to give Brian any rounds after the 5th. Once the knockdowns and body punches began, they had more and more of a cumulative effect as the rounds went by. This Irish guy was much tougher than anyone expected.

Jack
The CEO
QUOTE (caneman @ Mar 20 2011, 12:16 AM) *
It was a win but I am not really impressed! He will have to step it up if he really wants the winner of the tourney cause he will get scuffed bad!

Same here...old Lefty Loosechin was gettin' touched up and affected by a McKee... haha.gif

QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Mar 20 2011, 07:14 AM) *
LOL!

I see your not impressed, but Lucian Bute is still a developing fighter. You don't think he has skills or potential at all?

As for Calzaghe, as much of a douche bag that he is, why is it you would compare Ottke to Calzaghe?

Anyways, I'm curious to see how Bute looked, and what he does with his tools inside the ring.

You should be unimpressed when you watch it...lol...as far as the comparisons...a tougher question would be what DON'T they have in common...

They're frauds of a feather.

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 22 2011, 05:16 PM) *

Bootay's competition is so bad/dumb they repeatedly walk into his only good punch...lol...boxers dream of having opponents like that...

I gave Bute a full edge over Martinez before this fight...now I give Martinez a slight edge...
gravytrain
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Mar 22 2011, 04:54 PM) *
Would you take Bute over Martinez though?

in Montreal? he'd never win there. he'd have to beat him 3 times. i think he'd have a decent outing with Bute losing by 1-2 points if he did lose, Bute is a lot of hype though so it'd be hard to know where that would put Martinez in the division.

i think a game fighter like Martinez would give him a lot of trouble. he's athletic, he can jab, he can counter, and this would be Butes first time really having to dig deep. with his showing against Magee i've my doubts if he could beat Martinez, Bute looked apprehensive in there when he wasn't a pushover but since Martinez is a much better fighter Bute wouldn't be able to sit back and calculate his moves.
EAlbian
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 23 2011, 10:45 AM) *
in Montreal? he'd never win there. he'd have to beat him 3 times. i think he'd have a decent outing with Bute losing by 1-2 points if he did lose, Bute is a lot of hype though so it'd be hard to know where that would put Martinez in the division.

i think a game fighter like Martinez would give him a lot of trouble. he's athletic, he can jab, he can counter, and this would be Butes first time really having to dig deep. with his showing against Magee i've my doubts if he could beat Martinez, Bute looked apprehensive in there when he wasn't a pushover but since Martinez is a much better fighter Bute wouldn't be able to sit back and calculate his moves.

They could fight in Montreal with nuetral judges, 3 American judges i think would give the fight a fair shake. I think it would make for a good fight, both guys are there to be hit and niether like the clinch. Hard to call
gravytrain
i really don't see them fighting for 2-3 years for a couple reasons. 1 Bute isn't going to fight him when he still has fights on the horizon, it's low risk no reward. he's going to wait until someone wins the S6 then fight them. 2 Bute is a Showtime fighter and will be until after he gets that fight. 3 Bute isn't going to give anything up to him, Martinez doesn't have the clout. i think it'd be a mix of judges and a Canadian ref.
EAlbian
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 23 2011, 11:58 AM) *
i really don't see them fighting for 2-3 years for a couple reasons. 1 Bute isn't going to fight him when he still has fights on the horizon, it's low risk no reward. he's going to wait until someone wins the S6 then fight them. 2 Bute is a Showtime fighter and will be until after he gets that fight. 3 Bute isn't going to give anything up to him, Martinez doesn't have the clout. i think it'd be a mix of judges and a Canadian ref.

Martinez is worth as much as any of the fighters in the supersix, he was an HBO fighter now he back on showtime. He'll go where the money is especially if HBO wants to offer him a PPV. What does Bute have to give up? Maybe Bute thinks its an easy win because he's coming up in weight? I don't think DiBella would make a fight in Canada with Canadian Judges and a Canadian Ref. If Bute beats Kessler and then the S6 winner that fight could be made in a year and a half from now. That gives Martinez time to fight Manfredo and then Sturm in a unification fight or move up and test the waters at 168, he said he wanted 3 fights this year.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Mar 23 2011, 10:53 AM) *
They could fight in Montreal with neutral judges, 3 American judges i think would give the fight a fair shake. I think it would make for a good fight, both guys are there to be hit and neither like the clinch. Hard to call

The problem is there is some bullshit Canadian law, which MANDATES,(over any sanctioning body rules), for boxing, two of the four officials involved (Ref and judges) must be from Canada.

Jack
EAlbian
QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 23 2011, 03:24 PM) *
The problem is there is some bullshit Canadian law that MANDATED (over any sanctioning body rules) that says for boxing, two of the four officials involved (Ref and judges) must be from Canada.

Jack

wow... did not know that
gravytrain
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Mar 23 2011, 02:27 PM) *
Martinez is worth as much as any of the fighters in the supersix, he was an HBO fighter now he back on showtime. He'll go where the money is especially if HBO wants to offer him a PPV. What does Bute have to give up? Maybe Bute thinks its an easy win because he's coming up in weight? I don't think DiBella would make a fight in Canada with Canadian Judges and a Canadian Ref. If Bute beats Kessler and then the S6 winner that fight could be made in a year and a half from now. That gives Martinez time to fight Manfredo and then Sturm in a unification fight or move up and test the waters at 168, he said he wanted 3 fights this year.

not for Bute as a SMW, Martinez is a JMW/MW. he's also going to have a deal with Showtime that'll carry over until the end of the 168 pound tourney is really over and that's after the winner and Bute fight. Martinez is probably too big of a risk for him when he can just fight a fringe top 10 fighter in the SMW division and pack an arena while making the same he'd get for Martinez. i see Martinez fighting the top 154 and 160 pounders he can get because other than Abraham he really wont have anyone, even then Abraham has been exposed and will most likely go back to MW.

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 23 2011, 03:24 PM) *
The problem is there is some bullshit Canadian law, which MANDATES,(over any sanctioning body rules), for boxing, two of the four officials involved (Ref and judges) must be from Canada.

Jack

Jack coming through in the clutch.

personally i didn't think he'd get it but i didn't know about this law, this is why i think it'd be a bad fight for Martinez. Martinez is going to be in there giving Bute a run for his money and if some of the officials are local i really doubt they want try to help there man out. it's like with Hopkins and Pascal, you couldn't expect him to win with KDs or get a close one. he'd have to win every round to win half of the rounds at most.
EAlbian
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 23 2011, 08:03 PM) *
not for Bute as a SMW, Martinez is a JMW/MW. he's also going to have a deal with Showtime that'll carry over until the end of the 168 pound tourney is really over and that's after the winner and Bute fight. Martinez is probably too big of a risk for him when he can just fight a fringe top 10 fighter in the SMW division and pack an arena while making the same he'd get for Martinez. i see Martinez fighting the top 154 and 160 pounders he can get because other than Abraham he really wont have anyone, even then Abraham has been exposed and will most likely go back to MW.

Jack coming through in the clutch.

personally i didn't think he'd get it but i didn't know about this law, this is why i think it'd be a bad fight for Martinez. Martinez is going to be in there giving Bute a run for his money and if some of the officials are local i really doubt they want try to help there man out. it's like with Hopkins and Pascal, you couldn't expect him to win with KDs or get a close one. he'd have to win every round to win half of the rounds at most.

Martinez hasnt been a JMW for over two years, he's a middleweight. Martinez carries as big if not a bigger name than all the SMW, he's beaten more well known fighters on HBO which has a much larger viewing audience then SHO. He's got a fight with Kessler being setup, Martinez is almost locked in with Mafredo. Bute could then fight the S6 winner and Martinez have his first PPV on HBO which is what HBO is looking to do. At that point Bute's contract could be up with SHO( 3 fight deal) and the fight could be made in a years time. Bute will have to step up his competition if he wants to continue to fight on SHO or HBO, the TV money he receives is much greater than the live gate money. He will have to fight the oppponent that SHO or HBO selects
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.