Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solis injury news
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Sunni6Killer
BERLIN -- Odlanier Solis has sustained serious knee injuries in his first-round knockout defeat by WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko on Saturday.

The 30-year-old Cuban was taken to hospital, where a scan revealed tears to his anterior cruciate ligament and external meniscus, as well as cartilage damage in his right knee.

The crowd in Cologne was disappointed by the 179-second bout. The fans booed and whistled for several minutes after it ended.

Klitschko said he's "sorry for the spectators. I don't fight for me, I fight for them."

The 39-year-old Ukrainian had delivered a right to Solis' left temple, when the Cuban wobbled back and fell on his back before clutching his knee.

It was Solis' first defeat in 18 pro fights. Klitschko improved to 42-2.

Sunni6Killer
His right knee gave out when he tried to plant it.
Would've interesting to see how the fight played out, since Solis was willing to let his hands go.
Maxy
Yeah this makes sense, exactly what it looked like he'd done too. Any cruciate ligament injury is extremely painful and there is no way he could have fought on with that.

When he went down he held his right knee and it appeared obvious he had injured it. Glad a scan has revealed he had indeed done some damage to it cos otherwise we'd be looking at a dive.
Fitz
He says weight doesn't effect his speed and conditioning.

How is your knee tubby?
mexi-cutioner
Solis woulda taken home that first round if it wasn't for that freak knockdown. He was boxing well, and made sure not to stand in front of Vitali, threw nice combos too
JLUVBABY
i've finally had a chance to watch the fight now that im back home and i thought soilis was doing good up until the point of the injury... should they fight again and solis heals properly i'd give him the same chance i did before this fight against either klit... he looked the way i'd figured he would from the little we got to see of him... its a freak accident and they happen its just messed up it happened in the first round... its no more messed up then that happening in the 12th round of a good fight in my opinion... shit happens we'll see how he heals up... he heals up correctly he will be right back in his position again and having been in there even for this little bit of time will give him even more of an edge...
Fitz
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Mar 21 2011, 12:25 PM) *
Solis woulda taken home that first round if it wasn't for that freak knockdown. He was boxing well, and made sure not to stand in front of Vitali, threw nice combos too

He maybe would have taken that first round, but guess what? There were still 11 more, haha.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 20 2011, 10:12 PM) *
I agree that Taters & Gravy was holding his own for over 2 minutes JLUV, but then he heard little birdies and his legs couldn't hold up his fat assed self. It wasn't just a freak accident. He got clubbed, lost control of motor skills and his failure to get into professional fighting shape cost him.

BTW, it is much, much more messed up than it happening in the 12th round for all those poor bastards that paid the big bucks to see Taters & Gravy's legs fail to hold his fat ass up.

You got a whole lot of ifs, ands n butt rationalizing your argument dude.

im not trying to rationalize what happened... what happened is what happened... but that doesnt take away from this guys pedigree as a fighter... im not gonna shit on the guy cuzz he had such an injury so early in the fight... i hope he heals right and comes back and during his healing process finds it within himself to realize it would benefit his career to lose some weight... solis is a good fighter rather one considers him overweight or what not... my point is that injurys do happen in sports and as messed up as it is its not like the guy just out right quit.. he had a legit injury... some talk like the guy should have or could have fought on with that type of injury and its just not possible.. ive had the same injury he has with a few more issues to my knee, from a motorcycle accident 4 yrs ago and i can tell you you can stand on the leg till ample pressure is put on it and your leg gives... that punch had nothing to do with him going down... you can actually see the point where the knee gives in the fight... they showed it several times without even knowing it on the replay... his knee gives while he's backing away and it gives the effect of a delayed punch when actually its his knee giving out... again not making an excuse for the guy but it is what it is... and im not saying had solis not gotten injured he goes on to win the fight.. not saying that at all... but i do know had he not gotten injured he gives a good account of himself in the fight... once healed and he shows he can fight on the knee again without ill effects i for one would welcome a rematch... i dont feel sorry for the paying crowd either... they got what they wanted... a win for their heavyweight... lol...
JLUVBABY
i'll also add at least at this point in his career a fighter with speed and movement and a punch gives vitali all kinds of trouble so haye has a very legit shot in that fight if sister vlad doesnt or isnt healed by that the time hayes fight comes...
Provo2O9
just watched the fight on Youtube.that punch was nothing,you could tell his knee was hurt ,"he didnt pull a alexander" LOL..
i would have liked to see how this fight would have played out without the injury.
lloyd mayflower
I must say it was disappointing to see him get injured. He looked like the first guy in a long time that was in the mood to have a real crack at a Klitschko. No part of me thought he bitched out. Why would he have?
flazi
Spot on. I also had the same injuries from a motorcycle accident in 07 and from playing soccer in 95. there is no way u can put pressure on the knee. Seems to me though that some of the damage was already there, probably the meniscus which made it way easier to give out. Not training won't do it, he tweaked it training and finished the job during the fight.
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 21 2011, 12:22 AM) *
im not trying to rationalize what happened... what happened is what happened... but that doesnt take away from this guys pedigree as a fighter... im not gonna shit on the guy cuzz he had such an injury so early in the fight... i hope he heals right and comes back and during his healing process finds it within himself to realize it would benefit his career to lose some weight... solis is a good fighter rather one considers him overweight or what not... my point is that injurys do happen in sports and as messed up as it is its not like the guy just out right quit.. he had a legit injury... some talk like the guy should have or could have fought on with that type of injury and its just not possible.. ive had the same injury he has with a few more issues to my knee, from a motorcycle accident 4 yrs ago and i can tell you you can stand on the leg till ample pressure is put on it and your leg gives... that punch had nothing to do with him going down... you can actually see the point where the knee gives in the fight... they showed it several times without even knowing it on the replay... his knee gives while he's backing away and it gives the effect of a delayed punch when actually its his knee giving out... again not making an excuse for the guy but it is what it is... and im not saying had solis not gotten injured he goes on to win the fight.. not saying that at all... but i do know had he not gotten injured he gives a good account of himself in the fight... once healed and he shows he can fight on the knee again without ill effects i for one would welcome a rematch... i dont feel sorry for the paying crowd either... they got what they wanted... a win for their heavyweight... lol...

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 21 2011, 05:31 PM) *
Then he got clubbed on the noggin, he became disoriented and his bone and cartilage structure couldn't handle the momentary loss of balance at his weight. That is not a freak accident. It is the direct result of a professional athlete's refusal to properly train for his job.

see this is where we differ in opinion... i dont think the punch hurt him... like i said, and maybe im wrong, but to me it appeared he was touched by the punch, backed out of vitalis distance and in doing so caused the injury that caused him to go down... it was a freak accident... now as far as his weight and him being in shape... he doesnt have to be cut up and muscle bound to be in shape... for him i think he was in shape... his frame has been holding him on a heavier body than what he fought on saturday.... seems like the injury would have happened in the past.. i beg to differ.. i think for him he was in shape for the fight... people are giving the guy a magic weight of 230 or what not but who is to say he can even make 230 comfortably... i would trust the fact that the guy and his team know what they have to do and from the little i saw of the guy i believe they have a nice formula going on... the guy seems to have had knee troubles in the past and it popped up at a crazy time... it happens... could him fighting at a lower weight help him?... i dont know... you could argue him coming in too light could hinder him as well... so for now, i will trust his team... im sure they will keep updates coming and if they feel weight loss would help we will hear that from them... they seem too have him as finely tuned as he is going to be as long as his knee stays healthy... lol...
JD
QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 20 2011, 11:42 PM) *
He maybe would have taken that first round, but guess what? There were still 11 more, haha.

Fitz...he looked good for 2 minutes plus, stop hating.

All in all, Solis put on a hell of a performance.
JLUVBABY
i dont blame the sarcasm.... the fight was a let down.. my question is should a fighter be shit on by the fans for a freak accident?... personally i dont think so but to each his own...
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 21 2011, 10:13 PM) *
Yeah, JLUV, they have him as finely tuned as he is going to be as long as he stays on that Twinkies and HoHos diet. 230 was an arbitrary weight that I suggested might make sense for him. There is no doubt that he can't make that weight comfortably on the James Toney Turn the Lights Out and nobody will see you stuffin' down dat bag o' Whoppers training regimen. If that don't work blame it on a thyroid condition.

If you want to compare him to the Tittyolas and D-cuporas of the world, fine. But don't try to convince anyone (including yourself) that Taters & Gravy was in shape for a fight with a Sister Klit. That is ludicrous and you know it. He has waddled his way through a forest of fat slobs masquerading as professional heavyweights. He gets his big break and the best he can do is come in less chubby.

There is no excuse for this generation of fat fucks who look like they are still trying to work off their baby fat. The fact that you are reduced to ridiculous rationalizations for his flat out lack of discipline and work ethic emphasizes the pathetic state of the heavyweight division. The fact that his fat ass (along with flabby fucks like Arreola and Chisora) even get an opportunity to get their lazy butts beat around the ring by the Klit Sisters is an insult to boxing fans worldwide. No wonder they won't televise this putrid fecal matter in the USA. They are doing boxing a favor.

Somebody do a motherfukin situp for omnipotent being's sake.

the guys weight had nothing to do with the injury is my point, rather you wish to believe that or not is your business... lol... he more than likely had a pre existing injury that manifested itself at that point in time of him moving out of vitalis range when he did... fucked up for the fans but it is what it is... as far as his weight im not rationalizing what he weighs nor am i trying to convince you are anyone else what i feel about the fight or his weight... lol... he's not the first nor the last fighter we will see that is skilled that fights with that added weight on him... i can name fighters from the past that looked like doughboys but where very highly skilled fighters and in shape even though their bodies seemed to tell another story and to mess with their weight too much would be to take away who they where as fighter... one thing i will tell you right now is solis is not arreola or chisora... you have the right to look at him as you wish and i understand yours and others viewpoint on the guy but the guy is a legit contender in my opinion... i feel he can come back and win a belt (from either of the reighning champs) which is something that cant be said about probably the rest of the division... thats my opinion on the guy... you and no one else have to agree with me just remember im saying this..

and for the record i never picked solis to win... i did say he would give vitali a great fight and i feel had the injury not occured we would have gotten that... with that said i stand fast on what i have been saying... solis rehabs properly from his surgery and he will come back right in the mix... as long as he is skilled in the ring i could care less what his physique looks like as long as his body is healthy and he delivers in the ring... i'm not in his camp... i cant say when he is in shape or what in shape is supposed to look like for the guy... thats why i say thats for his camp to decifer...
lloyd mayflower
As much as I agree with Beardo regarding pro athletes who cant get in reasonable shape, I am also kinda with you JLUV, I felt Solis came in for this one looking not too bad. I slated him a bit in the run up, but kinda took it all back when I seen him in the ring. I wont say Solis was going to win based on 2 minutes of action, but what I will say is that two minutes of action made me perk up and think that we might be on for a decent heavyweight scrap after so much bullshit bouts.

As for Chisora, Smarty iv always felt youv been a bit harsh on him, specially putting him in the category of Arreola.

I dont think thats a man who deserves mentioned in the same breath a sack of shit like Arreola, or Toney.
I realise this is off point, just thought id mention it.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Mar 22 2011, 01:09 AM) *
As much as I agree with Beardo regarding pro athletes who cant get in reasonable shape, I am also kinda with you JLUV, I felt Solis came in for this one looking not too bad. I slated him a bit in the run up, but kinda took it all back when I seen him in the ring. I wont say Solis was going to win based on 2 minutes of action, but what I will say is that two minutes of action made me perk up and think that we might be on for a decent heavyweight scrap after so much bullshit bouts.

As for Chisora, Smarty iv always felt youv been a bit harsh on him, specially putting him in the category of Arreola.

I dont think thats a man who deserves mentioned in the same breath a sack of shit like Arreola, or Toney.
I realise this is off point, just thought id mention it.

my whole thing is im not gonna down solis for getting injured... 3 minutes of action doesnt show much but i know ive watched the sport and understand the sport long enough to know that i saw a fighter more than capable of holding his own vs a very solid heavyweight champ (i saw that before the fight and during those 3 minutes the fight lasted)... lets say he doesnt injure himself do i think he pulls off the win?... i dont know... i think he had a very good shot i will say that... had solis quit id be the first person on here saying, "guys... i was wrong on this one"... never have i held back when i was wrong on a prediction or something i said... this fight in my mind is inconclusive... and that SHIT vitali is now saying that he landed a hard shot that knocked out solis is bullshit... it wasnt a hard enough punch saturday but now it is a ko punch?... lol... crazy them damn germans are... lol.. that is bull shit... nothing about that blow hurt solis... people have blown their backs out bending over to tie their shoes... sometimes shit happens and it happened this time... not the first time and not the last time we will see it in a major prize fight... it sucks but its part of the sport.. deal with it life goes on and the sport goes on is what i feel about it... if im right in what i have to say, they will be destined to meet again or he'll get another shot at who ever happens to be on top at the time as i feel as long as solis has a clean surgery and recovers properly no reason he wont be back in contention....
AussieLad
Watching the fight it was clear that Vitali did not land a hard shot. Oldanier twisted his knee pressing forward. Hence Vitali's reaction after the stoppage. If he had landed a decent shot, he would have known it, and wouldnt have been so angry.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 22 2011, 02:30 AM) *
Fair enough, JLUV, but your argument that his weight problem had nothing to do with his injury is just flat out wishful thinking. The likelihood of that kind of an injury goes up significantly if you are overweight. It does not matter whether he injured it before the fight or not, it is very likely that his weight problem contributed to the injury.

I also disagree with your opinion that he was not effected by the club to the noggin. I think that it was very clear that it caused the loss of balance which led to (at the minimum) the exacerbation of the injury.

I honestly hope that you are right and that he will make a complete recovery and get another chance to prove himself. He appeared to be ready to mix it up with Sister V. I hope this experience also leads him to the realization that his weight is an issue, and a few less Snickers might be a good career move.

but you are saying yourself the weight likely caused the injury.... its not a given... the question is, is 250 too heavy a weight for his legs to hold up?.. its been holding him heavier than that for fights and im sure his walking around weight has to be around 270 or 280 plus... pro football players run the field a lot more obese than this guy and never get injured and they are getting hit etc etc... ill use a very good friend of mine as an example... frank middleton, played for a few teams but was a fat sloppy bastard but never got any serious injuries... then you'll get guys that are in shape that injure their knees or ankles to the point that it destroys their careers just running the ball barely being touched... marcus dupree is a fare example of this... so im not gonna say where this guy needs to weigh to fall into the category of being in fight shape... at 246 he looked better than ive seen him body wise since early in his career... like i said i have to think he and his team is doing what they have to do to get him into FIGHTING shape...

As far as that punch... we can agree to disagree on it but im adding a video of what happened... what i saw was a punch glance off solis's glove... punch didnt land and you can see that at the 1:00 mark of this video... its a very clear angle of the punch... solis makes what ever movement he makes at that point to cause the injury and the rest is history... but the punch grazed his glove... unless solis broke his knee getting hit in the hand vitalis punch didnt land to do any damage but then again vitali knew that his punch didnt land thats why he was all in solis's corner figuring solis was quitting or what not and issued his apology to his fans after the fight...

mexi-cutioner
Do u think they'll give this guy a rematch??? As long as the injury is indeed legit, I think he deserves it sometime down the road...
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 22 2011, 07:55 AM) *
As far as that punch... we can agree to disagree on it but im adding a video of what happened... what i saw was a punch glance off solis's glove... punch didnt land and you can see that at the 1:00 mark of this video... its a very clear angle of the punch... solis makes what ever movement he makes at that point to cause the injury and the rest is history... but the punch grazed his glove... unless solis broke his knee getting hit in the hand vitalis punch didnt land to do any damage but then again vitali knew that his punch didnt land thats why he was all in solis's corner figuring solis was quitting or what not and issued his apology to his fans after the fight...

Hi dude, from the vid clip it looks to me like the punch misses the glove and bounces off his head. I've no doubt the shot stopped him in his tracks a little and caused him to put weight unexpectedly on his knee, which caused it to give out, hence the injury.

It really wasn't a legit knockout, more of an unlucky injury. But like Beardo said, I do think a more svelte, in shape Solis might have had a better chance at avoiding the injury, simply because less weight on the knee might have stopped it buckling and blowing out.

For the previous two minutes I had seen a decently skilled guy who, for once, was actually able to hit Klitschko. Of course we didn't get the chance to see Klit open up properly, but it still might have been competitive all the way through. I'd be happy with a rematch.....

...but I'd be even happier with Haye KO'ing Wlad and getting an undisputed title fight.

Black
JD
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 21 2011, 10:53 PM) *
i dont blame the sarcasm.... the fight was a let down.. my question is should a fighter be shit on by the fans for a freak accident?... personally i dont think so but to each his own...

When people come on talking about how great he looked in the fight after getting caught, and in turn injuring his leg because of the way his legs reacted and he stepped from the punch...all after 2 minutes of action - without question. It's not so much the fighter people are mocking.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Mar 21 2011, 11:31 PM) *
True. Nobody has ever made Vitali look like that, EVER.

EVER! There can be little doubt how this fight would have gone.
D-MARV
LOL... I love the sarcasm.

It's hard to judge how a fight will turn out after 1 round but one thing I noticed about Vitali in past fights is that he's not to good when he's forced to chase a fighter. One thing Solis had going for him before he got his bell rung was he had the quicker hands. He landed some flush shots on Vitali in that first round... shots that other fighters like Arreola, Peter, and Albert were not able to land. I'm not willing to say that Solis was on his way to a victory (which is pretty silly to say) but Someone with quicker hands, constant movement and good counter punching ability is very capable of beating Vitali.
thehype
Ummmmmmmm...it's heavyweight boxing....who cares?

dntknw.gif
JD
At 1:15 of the video, it is obvious he gets clipped on the temple. Vitali may not look good doing what he does, but his hands are undeniably heavy.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 22 2011, 09:47 AM) *
Alright JLUV, this is bullshit! You are either just arguing for the fuck of it, or you are simply intent on completely embarrassing yourself. Just stop it man. Your own evidence condemns your position.

The punch led to the stoppage. The evidence is clear. Your man was dazed by a solid shot that he slightly leaned into; a clubbing blow. His fat assed body was too fucking much for his legs and ligaments, sans motor control.

I've been trying to be nice, JLUV. Your position is full of shit on this one; a big fat 249 pound bag of it.
Taters & Gravy
was dazed and his fat self saved him from a severe beating.

The truth will set you free JLUV. Try actually watching the video you provided. You obviously haven't bothered up too now.

ive watched the video and the punch glances the guys glove... 1:15 mark shows a behind the back shot so the punch appears to rock solis's head back when at 1:00 mark you can see it grazes the guys glove... im not embarrasing myself telling what i feel i see in the video nor what i feel about the fight or the fighter... just because i dont take your position or others position on the fight doesnt make me wrong....
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 22 2011, 08:14 AM) *
LOL... I love the sarcasm.

It's hard to judge how a fight will turn out after 1 round but one thing I noticed about Vitali in past fights is that he's not to good when he's forced to chase a fighter. One thing Solis had going for him before he got his bell rung was he had the quicker hands. He landed some flush shots on Vitali in that first round... shots that other fighters like Arreola, Peter, and Albert were not able to land. I'm not willing to say that Solis was on his way to a victory (which is pretty silly to say) but Someone with quicker hands, constant movement and good counter punching ability is very capable of beating Vitali.

for the record i have never said he was on his way to a victory... lol... ive always said he would have HAD A CHANCE....
Maxy
I think the punch did momentarily stun him, it definitely catches the top of his head. However, the fight ended purely and simply because Solis suffered a knee injury.

JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 22 2011, 02:09 PM) *
JLUV you are living in a fantasy world on this one. :59 through 1:05 clearly illustrates a blackjack like shot to the temple and the reverberating shock of it. Your man was momentarily stunned and his legs failed him during the period of lost motor skills thanks to their inability to deal with his heft.

1:16 clearly illustrates the force of the blow catching Tators & Gravy on the temple while his head is moving into the blow. He was saved by his body's failure to hold up his weight.

It was about to get ugly for him.

BTW, I think that Sister V Klit's wraps should be investigated. Maybe they are legal but they should not be. They are clubs wielded by a near giant.

would vitali have eventually gotten him?... maybe, maybe not... i dont think that punch hurt solis as i dont think it landed (best proof of the shot being a nothing punch was vitali himself saying the shot wasnt hard enough to do damage immediatly after the fight, put his arm out like W.T.F?...)... that gif maxy has shows the rear shot of the punch and it doesnt show the punch glancing off solis's glove as the shot at 59 seconds of the vid... the rear vid gives the appearance of the shot hitting his head which maybe it did graze his forehead but that shot bounced off solis's glove which forces solis's glove into the side of his head which is what you see on that rear vid that maxy posted... looks like he is punched when actually its force from his glove being hit and slapping the side of his head... lol... but in all honesty, im through its not like we can change the outcome.. i feel what i feel and i respect you guys feelings on the outcome of the fight and your thoughts on the validity of the punch actually hurting the guy, i just dont feel that is the case at all... remember, mark this down... as long as solis's injury heals properly we will see him at the forefront of the division fighting for a strap again and no matter who it is he will give them a run for their money.. im calling that right now... Tators & Gravy will be back... lol... and will one day hold a peice of the crown if not all of it...
AussieLad
QUOTE (Maxy @ Mar 22 2011, 07:21 PM) *
I think the punch did momentarily stun him, it definitely catches the top of his head. However, the fight ended purely and simply because Solis suffered a knee injury.

Clearly it hits his gloves before hitting his head.

What i think is, this is a classic example of a chinese death punching, Ali-esque WHIPSMASH. The power travelled through the glove, into his temple, ricochet's down his osophagus, bounces off his diaphragm, does several 360 movements in his lower intestines, then explodes in his knee

DIM MAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 22 2011, 06:25 PM) *
All good, JLUV. You see what you see I guess. I just gotta ask though, you don't see Sister V Klit's glove making clear contact with Taters & Gravy's noggin and his head jolting towards his right shoulder?

That is not his own glove slapping the side of his head. To me that is an Ace Bandage club tapping that gourde like a blackjack. He was dazed and Sister Vitali was about to hurt him bad.

Hope he makes a complete comeback at a more realistic weight for those poor legs.

like i said... to me, the front view clearly shows what happened to my eyes... that rear camera view gives the special effect of a punch landing to the temple but that is not what happens... ive looked at that sequence more times than i care to to try and find an error in what im saying and i dont see it.. vitali even said himself that punch wasnt hard enough to cause damage... well he said that in the ring now i suppose his people is telling him to change his tone on that... but we can go on and on about it and its worthless... rather the punch landed or not it didnt kill the fight an injury did and that is where we stand on the issue.. it sucks it happened that way but thats boxing and a part of life... there are other fights to look forward to coming up....
blackbelt2003
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 23 2011, 01:00 AM) *
like i said... to me, the front view clearly shows what happened to my eyes... that rear camera view gives the special effect of a punch landing to the temple but that is not what happens... ive looked at that sequence more times than i care to to try and find an error in what im saying and i dont see it.. vitali even said himself that punch wasnt hard enough to cause damage... well he said that in the ring now i suppose his people is telling him to change his tone on that... but we can go on and on about it and its worthless... rather the punch landed or not it didnt kill the fight an injury did and that is where we stand on the issue.. it sucks it happened that way but thats boxing and a part of life... there are other fights to look forward to coming up....

Sorry dude, but even on the front view I don't see the shot landing on the guard. It looks to me like it's just in front of his hand and makes clear contact with the head.

Now I don't think the shot 'stunned' Solis in the neurological sense, but it did physically shift him to one side, causing him to put his weight on the knee awkwardly which led to the injury.

Now I know people are saying it's a freak injury, it's a fluke etc, but to me I think that if a light shot like that was able to do what it did, what would have happened when Klit landed a real solid shot? Solis won the opener (well actually he didn't because he got stopped), but there's still no evidence to support the fact he could handle Klit's power. Quite the opposite in fact.

Ah, well. Bring on Adamek...perhaps a guy with the speed, skills and RESILIENCE to finish what Solis started?

Black
The CEO
After reading the threads, I see most people are conscious of what happened in this one.....here's my take on it...hopefully it will help put the issue to bed...

Go to 5:20 for a wide overhead replay...

Solis comes charging in...right before Vitali connects, Solis' left leg slides awkwardly forward instead of planting...this left him very little support for impact...

If you know a lot about shots to the head...you would know that where he got hit is a very vulnerable spot, and it doesn't take that much to throw you off....I wouldn't say he was "stunned"..."discombobulated" is appropriate....it was a good punch where the effect was exacerbated by the state of Solis' left leg and foot at the time of impact...

Shit happens.

You can see the tweaking of the right knee in another replay at 6:20....
The CEO
You know...that's a good catch...I remember thinking "Those look a little high..." when I saw that live, but I was too caught up in the other shit to dwell on it...

VERY chunky and high around the pinky knuckle...
gravytrain
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 23 2011, 08:35 AM) *
The only point I want to make clear is Sister Vitali's hand wraps are motherfucking clubs. Maybe they are legal but they shouldn't be. They are clubs. That is bullshit.

Go to about 7:00 and take a good long look at that bullshit.

Why do boxers have to go into the ring with clubs wrapped around their hands? Do all have that same advantage? What should be considered reasonable hand protection and where does it cross the line into becoming an offensive weapon?

Why even wear gloves? Why not change the sport to club wielding?

It is a disgrace that professional boxers need that level of protection for their hands. It is more than a disgrace. It is just flat out bullshit.

well Vitali is about 6'7" and 250 pounds, he's bound to have more padding than most other fighters because he's going to have some giant hands. as long as they're not stacking gauze and tape or anything like that it's just a bigger version of a regular wrap. if he didn't use enough padding then it'd basically be getting hit with his knuckles and that would be worse than the big wraps of his.

caneman
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 22 2011, 08:15 AM) *
Ummmmmmmm...it's heavyweight boxing....who cares?

dntknw.gif

EXACTLY!!! Yet we get 5 pages on this crap!

laugh.gif
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (caneman @ Mar 23 2011, 10:44 AM) *
EXACTLY!!! Yet we get 5 pages on this crap!

laugh.gif

hey!!! this has not been crap... lol... neither one of us want to stand down and we all have to be right... lol...
gravytrain
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 23 2011, 06:16 PM) *
There is a difference between padding and layer upon layer of tape. The padding and the tape are meant to protect the hands from damage. An over taped hand becomes a club. A club is far more damaging than a fist in most cases. Also, if your hand is wrapped into a cousin of a plaster cast you need not worry about punching wrong and breaking your pinky knuckle etc.

Notice how the punch (which appears to be a glancing blow) effects Taters & Gravy's gourde. According to some on here Sister Vitali claims he didn't hit him hard. That is exactly what I was describing about the effect of a blackjack. The strike doesn't look like much but the effect is substantial. It looks like the Klit Sister catches T & G with the smaller knuckles, which could easily lead to injury if the hands weren't wrapped. But if they are over wrapped with tape it could give the effect of a near miss or whiff to the thrower while seriously damaging the receiver.

the amount of padding is suspect, the rest of it looks legit to me. looks like his trainer used 2 rolls on each hand lol. the only really bad wraps i can think of recently were Pac's wraps for the Margarito fight since it'd the layer of tape down first.

any boxing wraps turn your hands into clubs really, i remember when i'd my hands wrapped i thought i could punch through a brick wall and not feel anything. there's not much else to do in a sport like boxing though, if it went back to old style wraps it'd be too big of a health risk. the rules in place are about the only thing to do and they exist because stacking really does turn your hand into a club.
BGv2.0
I have not even seen the fight but know what it came down to.

YET ANOTHER supposed worthy opponent for one of the Klits coming in too fat and making himself look pathetic!

I'm not at all a Klit fan...but I'd almost bet that deep down inside, they have to HATE how they happen to come up in such a shallow pool of HWs...

While I blame a lot on them...I've always siad they cannot force their oppoenents to come in ready to fight, and it's too bad they get a raw deal on this situation.

On paper Solis SHOULD have been able to provide a fight for the bros. BUT...as we have all seen too often in this gen. of HWs his lack of desire to actually train and keep himself in shape was his downfall.

Solis was never an actual contender in my mind. I recall a few people really seeming to put him on a pedistal due to his ability and Olympic past....

Ability and Past mean ZERO when you are fat and out of shape...which this guy has been his entire profeassional career.

It's just sickning the lack of drive and work ethic in today's HW division....Solis, Toney, Peter, Arreola....ALL despite their shortcomings could be extremely good compitition if they only kept themselves in shape!

It really pisses me off too!

I mean, this is your F'N JOB....I would kill to be able to earn massive amounts of money due to my ability to fight. I really cannot imagine how a person manages to come in that shape when it is your job to run, workout, stay fit.

For most of us...our jobs do not allow for us to run 10 miles a day, spar rounds and hire a nutritionist to keep us eating properly...YET...there are many that are in better shape than these guys!

It's pure VULGAR on their part and insults me as a fan.

I'm glad he got his Cuban blocked knocked off!

People can say what they will about Haye...that he runs his mouth too much, that he is arrogant, that he has a questionable chin....

the one thing they cannot complain about is that he at the very least keeps himself fit and in fighting shape and that alone is worthy of priase in this pitiful HW division.

I'm with Beirdo.....this fight ended all screwed up because this guy was in awful shape.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Mar 24 2011, 01:06 PM) *

YET ANOTHER supposed worthy opponent for one of the Klits coming in too fat and making himself look pathetic!

I'm not at all a Klit fan...but I'd almost bet that deep down inside, they have to HATE how they happen to come up in such a shallow pool of HWs...

While I blame a lot on them...I've always siad they cannot force their oppoenents to come in ready to fight, and it's too bad they get a raw deal on this situation.

On paper Solis SHOULD have been able to provide a fight for the bros. BUT...as we have all seen too often in this gen. of HWs his lack of desire to actually train and keep himself in shape was his downfall.

Solis was never an actual contender in my mind. I recall a few people really seeming to put him on a pedistal due to his ability and Olympic past....

Ability and Past mean ZERO when you are fat and out of shape...which this guy has been his entire profeassional career.

It's just sickning the lack of drive and work ethic in today's HW division....Solis, Toney, Peter, Arreola....ALL despite their shortcomings could be extremely good compitition if they only kept themselves in shape!

It really pisses me off too!
\
I mean, this is your F'N JOB....I would kill to be able to earn massive amounts of money due to my ability to fight. I really cannot imagine how a person manages to come in that shape when it is your job to run, workout, stay fit.

For most of us...our jobs do not allow for us to run 10 miles a day, spar rounds and hire a nutritionist to keep us eating properly...YET...there are many that are in better shape than these guys!

It's pure VULGAR on their part and insults me as a fan.

I'm glad he got his Cuban blocked knocked off!

People can say what they will about Haye...that he runs his mouth too much, that he is arrogant, that he has a questionable chin....

the one thing they cannot complain about is that he at the very least keeps himself fit and in fighting shape and that alone is worthy of priase in this pitiful HW division.

I'm with Beirdo.....this fight ended all screwed up because this guy was in awful shape.

Watch the fight before u come up with such a hasty summary of the fight. I, as well as most others, had Solis clearly winning. if not for the injury, could have turned into a VERY interesting fight.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Mar 24 2011, 03:14 PM) *
Watch the fight before u come up with such a hasty summary of the fight. I, as well as most others, had Solis clearly winning. if not for the injury, could have turned into a VERY interesting fight.

WHY? I don't have to watch it, that's 2 min. of my life that I have no reason to waste watching what I already KNEW prior to the fight was going to take place.

There is no "hasty" summary, when the dudes entire run as a professional has shown us time and time again what to expect.

So he looked great for 2 min. it's a 12 round fight with a massive opponent in his home town...you think any of Solis's past fights/conditioning should make a person think he had a snowball's chance in hell to last 12 rounds?

From day one when people started to attempt to label Solis as a possible Klit remover...I knew it was all smoke and mirriors built up on his past.

His mammoth, spectacular 2 minute showing proved me right.

Bottom line....is this:

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 24 2011, 03:40 PM) *
his legs couldn't hold up his fat self.

gravytrain
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Mar 24 2011, 03:06 PM) *

i haven't watched the fight but i really don't think 1 round means much in a boxing match unless you win by KO, there are still 11 more rounds and boxing is a sport of stamina. i think the worst thing about the situation is that fighters tend to make pretty good money, if you get a good audience and are marketable you could be making a million+ a fight. if they tried to have muscle instead of flab they'd be in such a better position than coming into the ring with a Klits looking like you belong on The Biggest Loser. i mean damn, Holyfield is in better shape than most of the young cats and he's about 50 years old.

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 24 2011, 08:18 AM) *
I understand what you are saying, and I never said that I thought that they were illegal. What I am saying is that the current rules protect the hands but not the boxers' health. I think that the current wraps are designed to produce KOs, and I think that is bullshit. I also believe that the current wraps make it harder to regulate.

I think Pac's wraps were bullshit and I said so at the time. But, my point is that too many boxers' wraps are bullshit (Donaire comes to mind) thanks to regulations designed to protect boxers' hands while increasing KO percentages.

Punching technique is largely lost in this scenario. It takes considerable time and effort to develop striking technique that limits your exposure to hand injury. Club like wraps limit the need for that. That is one of the reasons my Dad told me from when I was quite young that boxers are generally not much good on the street; because their hands are too soft.

i think the soft hands are from the gloves and not the wraps lol. they make things a lot different.

i can see what you're saying but in boxing there's not much to do. boxing is only punching so they've to wrap the hands to endure the sustained punching and make wraps that will last for the fight. if you make a shitty wrap and the knuckles get exposed you're going to get into trouble. other than making stacking illegal[unless you're in Texas] i can't think of much else to do.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 24 2011, 06:13 PM) *
Yeah, you have to give Haye credit for that. He takes his profession seriously enough to get into proper fighting condition.

Nothing like a lengthy stay in hospital to get out of shape.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.