Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sergio Martinez on HBO PPV in November
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BlueMercury
Newly crowned WBC Diamond middleweight champion Sergio Martinez (47-2, 26 KOs) will return to the ring in the month of July on HBO, followed by a potential return in November on pay per view, according to Martinez’s adviser Sampson Lewkowicz, adding that an opponent will be named in the next two weeks.

One of the possible names Lewkowicz is interested in is the WBA junior middleweight champion Miguel Cotto (36-2, 29 KOs), who defeated Ricardo Mayorga by 12th round technical knockout on March 12, the same night Martinez defeated Sergiy Dzinziruk.

“If Miguel Cotto really has balls, he will take the fight with Sergio Martinez no matter what his promoter Bob Arum says,” Lewkowicz said.

(Round1 Mag)
JLUVBABY
cotto wont be fighting sergio in november.... seriously doubt that fight happens... sergio needs to call out some fighters that have a legit chance of happening...
King Eugene
Kirkland will be ready by November. I'd love to see that one. Or hell trilogy with Paul if he gets another fight in before then.
SENTRAL
Bigger guys bury him.
D-MARV
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 22 2011, 04:52 AM) *
Kirkland will be ready by November. I'd love to see that one. Or hell trilogy with Paul if he gets another fight in before then.

Martinez would have another highlight reel KO if he fought Kirkland.
thehype
I think the more important question here is if Sergio is fighting on HBO PPV in November, does that mean Pacquiao, who Arum already said is returning in November, is fighting on a Showtime PPV again?

Hmmmmmmmm. Very interesting.
D-MARV
QUOTE (thehype @ Mar 22 2011, 09:14 AM) *
I think the more important question here is if Sergio is fighting on HBO PPV in November, does that mean Pacquiao, who Arum already said is returning in November, is fighting on a Showtime PPV again?

Hmmmmmmmm. Very interesting.

Maybe they will be fighting each other?.......hmmmmmmmmmm
thehype
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Mar 22 2011, 09:27 AM) *
Maybe they will be fighting each other?.......hmmmmmmmmmm

Not!

nea.gif

Cheesey1
QUOTE (King Eugene @ Mar 22 2011, 03:52 AM) *

I wouldn't be surprised if the ppv is Martinez vs. Williams. You're right that it would be good for Williams to have a tune-up before then, but not necessary (IMO). I'd watch that fight on PPV.
blackbelt2003
The only big fight I wanna see Cotto in is a unification with Saul Alvarez, that makes great sense for 154.

As for 160, there are few true PPV matches, but some great fights that have the potential to be built up into genuine PPV matches.

Let's agree that Sturm, as good as he is, just isn't PPV material. He's German, fights only in Germany, isn't a marquee name and has largely fought lesser opponents. Sylvester, the IBF champ is even further down the list.

Kirkland and Pirog are both exciting prospects but untested for now. JC Chavez Jr would be good financial sense, but, let's face it, would be out of his depth in a competitive sense. Pavlik would be good if he can get a little momentum, returning in, say, summer, looking good and booking a PPV rematch with Martinez for November. But can Pavlik get off the booze and get his head set in time? Williams would be the ideal PPV guy for me. Get him back in the summer, let him blow out an overmatched opponent to set the stage for the final fight of a great trilogy.

Hopefully, by that time, Kirkland or someone would have gone to Germany and knocked Sturm and/or Sylvester off the titles they are desperately clinging to and we can get another middleweight PPV for next year.

But please, let's keep the jr middles out of the middleweight picture for now. They need to sort their own shit out.

Black
mexi-cutioner
Too soon now, but David Lemieux vs Sergio Martinez sometime down the road....OH CANADA!!!!!!!!!!
EAlbian
QUOTE (blackbelt2003 @ Mar 22 2011, 10:49 AM) *
The only big fight I wanna see Cotto in is a unification with Saul Alvarez, that makes great sense for 154.

As for 160, there are few true PPV matches, but some great fights that have the potential to be built up into genuine PPV matches.

Let's agree that Sturm, as good as he is, just isn't PPV material. He's German, fights only in Germany, isn't a marquee name and has largely fought lesser opponents. Sylvester, the IBF champ is even further down the list.

Kirkland and Pirog are both exciting prospects but untested for now. JC Chavez Jr would be good financial sense, but, let's face it, would be out of his depth in a competitive sense. Pavlik would be good if he can get a little momentum, returning in, say, summer, looking good and booking a PPV rematch with Martinez for November. But can Pavlik get off the booze and get his head set in time? Williams would be the ideal PPV guy for me. Get him back in the summer, let him blow out an overmatched opponent to set the stage for the final fight of a great trilogy.

Hopefully, by that time, Kirkland or someone would have gone to Germany and knocked Sturm and/or Sylvester off the titles they are desperately clinging to and we can get another middleweight PPV for next year.

But please, let's keep the jr middles out of the middleweight picture for now. They need to sort their own shit out.

Black

I agree 100%
gravytrain
his adviser seems half retarded to think Arum is going to put Cotto in the ring with Martinez. i really don't expect to see him in a PPV either, he doesn't have a promoter with enough clout or a big enough name for an opponent.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 22 2011, 12:19 PM) *
Lemieux needs to get in with somebody like Golovkin or Geale or Pirog or N'Dam N'Jikam. Enough of the punching bag exhibitions.

IMO the kid is being brought up and managed VERY well. He just turned 22 a few months ago and is slowly upping the level of competition, which is evident in his last few fights vs Ayala, Smichet, Camacho Jr. and he's fighting Marco Antonio Rubio in a few months. Give him another 2-3 fights, about a year or so, and he'll be more than ready to fight for a title. and when he does...BRING ON MARTINEZ
EAlbian
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Mar 22 2011, 06:16 PM) *
IMO the kid is being brought up and managed VERY well. He just turned 22 a few months ago and is slowly upping the level of competition, which is evident in his last few fights vs Ayala, Smichet, Camacho Jr. and he's fighting Marco Antonio Rubio in a few months. Give him another 2-3 fights, about a year or so, and he'll be more than ready to fight for a title. and when he does...BRING ON MARTINEZ

I agree, i think many fighters are brought along too quickly these days ie Devon Alexander. Just because a guy is physically ready it doesn't mean that he is ready mentally.

I think Rubio is the right fight for Lemuiex at this time. I think he should stay away from Martinez at least for the next two years. I think a Sebastian Sylvester fight would be a nice step up following the Rubio fight, followed by a Vera fight. At that point he would be ready to take on a top 5 fighter.

I Don't think a fighter should be fighting the top of the division until they are close to 25
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Mar 22 2011, 05:18 PM) *
I agree, i think many fighters are brought along too quickly these days ie Devon Alexander. Just because a guy is physically ready it doesn't mean that he is ready mentally.

I think Rubio is the right fight for Lemuiex at this time. I think he should stay away from Martinez at least for the next two years. I think a Sebastian Sylvester fight would be a nice step up following the Rubio fight, followed by a Vera fight. At that point he would be ready to take on a top 5 fighter.

I Don't think a fighter should be fighting the top of the division until they are close to 25

I think a part of it all depends on the fighter as well. Some guys aren't mature enough to handle big fights at such a young age, but other guys such as the Tysons, Mayweathers, DLH's of the world etc. didn't need much time to become world champions.

But yeah, I'm definitely excited for this kid. I read an ESPN article saying the winner of Lemieux-Rubio becomes the mandatory challenger to face the winner of Chavez Jr (if Chavez gets past Lyell) and Sebastian Zbik; however the winner between Chavez-Zbik has the option of another fight b4 facing the winner of Lemieux-Rubio so yeah...around 2-3 fights and I expect to see Lemieux challenging for a title. Don't mean to jump the gun too soon, but I expect him to do fairly well, and probably win, against either Zbik or Chavez Jr...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.