Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shannon Briggs goes to (Twitter) war against Dan Rafael
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
So apparantly Briggs is suing some people for not paying him his purse from the Vitali fight. Said he only got 25k. Rafael kinda laughed off the lawsuit and said he got a bunch of advance cash + he ran up a hotel bill or some shit and that came out of it.

Briggs then just went ballistic on twitter.

NOTE: even though it says that his lawyers convinced him to back off, he's still shitting on Raf. lol

http://twitter.com/#!/Shannon_Briggs

In an online boxing chat on January 28, 2011, Rafael, when asked about the merit of Briggs' lawsuit, said:

"I don't believe it. Supposedly, he got hundreds of thousands in advances, which is part of the purse anyway. Was also told he ran up something like $70,000 on his promoter's credit card bill that they covered. But who knows the truth? That's why a judge will decide."

The Brooklyn-born fighter goes so far as to question the boxing scribe's journalistic ethics.

Today on his Twitter account, Briggs said, "After my fight with Vitali Dan Rafeal [sic] disrespected me totally. Today the Empire is falling. Dan you fat piece of shit I hope you get fired."

"Empire" is a reference to Empire Sports and Entertainment, the former business partners who Briggs claimed ripped him off after the Vitali fight, even deducting his hospital bills from his overall purse, according to the fighter. Briggs says Rafael will soon be "working in Alaska writing about seal fights."

"Dan Rafeal is a Shelly Finkel fan" Briggs tweets (Finkel is a main player at Empire). "He should be fired from ESPN for taking a position without the facts. Fat piece of shit.

"The things you said about me after the Vitali fight where [sic] bad coming for a 43 pig feet sandwich eating ass fuck like yourself," an irate Briggs tweeted at Rafael.

Briggs goes on to tweet that Rafael, who is one of the first mainstream boxing journalists in America to take a more supportive view of the heavyweight reign of the Klitschko brothers, is in his opinion likely being financially rewarded by Finkel, a long-time Klitschko associate, to write favorably about the Ukrainians.

"He's probably and getting paid by Shelly the fetus Finkel," Briggs tweets. "ESPN needs to look into his so called journalism ... Because he knows what his daddy Shelly will do if he ever goes against him. I hope that ESPN see's him for what he really is.

"When I was part of the empire [Rafael] was TOLD to write nice of me. I lost they released me. He went back to trashing me & eating."

Briggs wants Rafael either fired or reassigned, and intends to take up his grievances with ESPN.

"I'll be on the phone with the heads at ESPN tuesday. He'll be working in Alaska soon writing about seal fights," Briggs says of Rafael.

So far, Rafael has not publicly responded to Briggs, who also says that he is finished with boxing.

"I'm done," Briggs, who says he now "despises" the sport, writes. "The managers, promoters the entire [boxing] business is full of bad energy. Im doing bigger & better things. Raising my sons."

March 22, 2001 -- UPDATE

Shannon Briggs has for the moment called off his Twitter war against Empire Sports and Dan Rafael.

"My lawyer told me to lay off the douche bags that stole food from my kids due to the fact that they are trying to use twitter against me," Briggs tweets. He has now gone private with his Twitter account.

Rafael responded in his chat earlier today basically saying he feels bad for Briggs, but isn't to blame, and that Briggs better watch out with what he's accusing Rafael of.
jlupi
I haven't been a briggs fan since he lost to wilson and blamed it on dustmites. And atlas saying the whole asthma angle was BS - first he had heard of it.

He's always been a sideshow. I fail to see what Raf said wrong. If briggs is telling the truth a judge will decide.
Sunni6Killer
Looks like ODLH is also involved laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
Screw Briggs. Traditional underachiever.

His most notable performance IMO was his LOSS to Lennox Lewis where he had his moments early on.

I guess the bullet he dodged for the Liakhovich win was a decent win for a "title" but other than that Briggs has accomplished very little considering his physique and potential.

Byrd Man
QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Mar 26 2011, 09:06 AM) *
Screw Briggs. Traditional underachiever.

His most notable performance IMO was his LOSS to Lennox Lewis where he had his moments early on.

I guess the bullet he dodged for the Liakhovich win was a decent win for a "title" but other than that Briggs has accomplished very little considering his physique and potential.

Wasn't he in Transporter? That's an achievement. I always liked Shannon, even if he WAS an underachiever.
lloyd mayflower
Good ranting skills from Shannon. Whether Briggs right or wrong, this is for the greater good, because Rafael does look like a deviant, and should be punished on some level for being such a fat chap.
lloyd mayflower
Only if his cankles could support him long enough to get out his chair
gravytrain
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Mar 26 2011, 11:50 AM) *
Only if his cankles could support him long enough to get out his chair

i wouldn't be surprised if he rolled around events in one of those electric wheelchairs for fat people.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 26 2011, 06:00 PM) *
i wouldn't be surprised if he rolled around events in one of those electric wheelchairs for (lazy) fat (bastards) people.

Good post, just thought id make a couple of suggestions, and also while i'm at it, suggest that one day he might be involved in a scooter death race to the burger stand with James Toney. I'd pay to see it.
gravytrain
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Mar 26 2011, 01:03 PM) *
Good post, just thought id make a couple of suggestions, and also while i'm at it, suggest that one day he might be involved in a scooter death race to the burger stand with James Toney. I'd pay to see it.

man anytime somebody tries to beat Toney to a BK cashier it's a a death race lol.

JLUVBABY
lol.. death race to a burger stand... yall are crazy... lol..
BGv2.0
I have zero doubt Briggs's case most likely holds water. We all know how sleazy the suits in the sport can be. And Briggs took his loss like a true warrior in that fight....so he deserves to be paid his rightful sum....you can bet those nasty Krauts made plenty on that whole deal.

The best part of the article is that he says he is done. He is still young, SHOULD have some coin put away dispite this little incident and he still has his health.

Even though he was for me one of the single most frustrating HWs to ever watch and without a doubt an underachiever...I always liked the guy overall.

It's too bad he could not go out with a W. It would have been nice to have him leave the sport with a nice KO win over maybe a Tye Fields type opponent.

I hope he wins his lawsuit, over the years he provided me as a fan quite a few decent fights, some nice KO's and interesting moments...so IMHO he deserves it.

AND, do NOT forget he is one of the few mortal men to survive The White Buffalo! He literally drew even with a Man-God....I have seen countless interviews where he has said that the only thing that got him the last second win over Sergi was that right before he threw the KO punch, he closed his eyes...took a deep wheezing breath through his strained brochial tubes, and thought of the BLUE EYES of the Man God-WB. In that instance, his air way cleared, he was able to bull back with all his might and SMASH Sergi down for the win.
salvador
"...a 43 pig feet sandwich eating ass fuck like yourself" -

pretty damn funny. If he'd used this talent to hype fights he might have been richer than Haye. Speaking of, I think I'd probably take a prime Briggs over Haye.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.