Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gamboa is 29 - Lopez turns 28 in June
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
It's not difficult to understand why Arum is delaying Lopez-Gamboa as much as possible. As long as HBO is willing to give each fighter headliner status (even BAD), that's just more money for Bob and more chances for him to fill undercards with his prospects. That said, unless Arum puts Gamboa in with R. Marquez or de Leon or ANYBODY that general fans might have heard of, there isn't much chance that Gamboa-Lopez is going to be any more lucrative than it would be right now. The sad fact is that they are both little guys and there aren't any superstars in the division to raise either guy's visibility any higher than they are right now. Serious boxing fans know who they are and that's about all that ever will know them UNLESS THEY FIGHT AND HAVE A BARRERA-MORALES or VASQUEZ-MARQUEZ type of trilogy.

If these guys were in their early 20s it would be one thing, but they're not. In all probability, both are at their peak physically and very soon will be on the downside - AND EVERYONE INVOLVED KNOWS IT. Both fighters know it. Arum knows it. And HBO knows it.

Gamboa has been my favorite fighter for a while now, but the truth is that I really don't have any interest in seeing him fight again until he has a real opponent in front of him - John, Marquez, or de Leon would all work. But I don't see Arum risking a Gamboa loss any time soon as it would crush his leverage with HBO.

At some point HBO has to take the blame for this.
SmartyBeardo
With performances like last night, Gamboa is building a damned good reputation for exciting fights. Everyone at my house last night (all casual fans besides maybe myself) were impressed and want to see Gamboa fight again. They were electrified.

How bout a 4man tourney with Gamboa v JuanMa and John v Hasegawa? Probably a pipe dream but it would be fun. By that time Garcia would be ready to fight the winner.

Gamboa is electrifying, period. JuanMa is no slouch. John might be willing to go for the $$ and legacy at this point. Hasegawa will fight Godzilla.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 27 2011, 07:45 AM) *
truth is that I really don't have any interest in seeing him fight again until he has a real opponent in front of him - John, Marquez, or de Leon would all work. But I don't see Arum risking a Gamboa loss any time soon as it would crush his leverage with HBO.

it has seemed to me for some time now that arum has been protecting lopez more so than gamboa... gamboa has been calling out lopez for at leasta year and a half now... and also lopez's comp is not that much better than gamboas so its not like he is being just overly protected... if anything lopez has been fighting guys from the lower division... common opponents the same thing.. not that it dictates who would win the fight but lets take matagwa... lopez went life and death with that guy... barely won... gamboa wiped the floor with him... just saying .. it seems to me arum is protecting lopez before id say he's protecting gamboa.. im sure arum is looking at lopez as his money maker... not gamboa... skill wise lopez may be better technically but gamboa has what it takes to whack lopez outta there...
gravytrain
i think Gamboa wasn't just talking shit and Arum wants to protect Juanma because any PR fighter with success is gonna have a draw. Gamboa just doesn't have that draw yet so Juanma is gonna get favored between the 2, money talks.
Big Slim Sweet
I think when Bob first started trumping this match-up he thought Lopez would win, but in the past couple of years Lopez has begun to look more vulnerable while Gamboa has gotten more dominant, and now he's not so sure. No question, Juan Ma is the one with the bigger fan base. Kellerman addressed that with Gamboa at the opening bell Saturday.

Also, Lopez fights regularly on Showtime now.
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 27 2011, 06:01 PM) *
it has seemed to me for some time now that arum has been protecting lopez more so than gamboa... gamboa has been calling out lopez for at leasta year and a half now... and also lopez's comp is not that much better than gamboas so its not like he is being just overly protected... if anything lopez has been fighting guys from the lower division... common opponents the same thing.. not that it dictates who would win the fight but lets take matagwa... lopez went life and death with that guy... barely won... gamboa wiped the floor with him... just saying .. it seems to me arum is protecting lopez before id say he's protecting gamboa.. im sure arum is looking at lopez as his money maker... not gamboa... skill wise lopez may be better technically but gamboa has what it takes to whack lopez outta there...

I think you misunderstood me.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Arum sees Lopez as his moneymaker. And putting his moneymaker in with guys like a well-worn Marquez makes a lot of sense because it increases Lopez's visibility in a big way - a risk worth taking. Putting Gamboa in with Marquez or de Leon (who, no matter how slow and one dimensional he is would undoubtedly test Gamboa's chin) would be a bigger risk because Arum wouldn't make as much money from the fight and because HBO CLEARLY WANTS GAMBOA-LOPEZ.

Gamboa-Lopez will be hyped as the FOTY and nobody wants either guy to have a loss beforehand. As long as Arum controls both guys the fight is like a carrot to HBO and HBO, seemingly, is going to bend whichever way Arum wants. And, unfortunately, Gamboa has a weak chin which is why Arum isn't going to put him in with a puncher or a dynamic boxer like Marquez before the "megafight".

I was under the impression that HBO was going to have Gamboa-Lopez this year. I believe Kellerman said that after Gamboa's last fight. And it doesn't look like that's going to happen which is too bad for boxing and too bad for Gamboa, who is 29 and probably still not a millionaire.

And I believe that there is every chance in the world that Arum is shooting himself in the foot by postponing this fight because Gamboa becomes a better fighter every time out.

Arum is clearly protecting Lopez from Gamboa.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 28 2011, 08:40 AM) *
I think you misunderstood me.

There is no doubt whatsoever that Arum sees Lopez as his moneymaker. And putting his moneymaker in with guys like a well-worn Marquez makes a lot of sense because it increases Lopez's visibility in a big way - a risk worth taking. Putting Gamboa in with Marquez or de Leon (who, no matter how slow and one dimensional he is would undoubtedly test Gamboa's chin) would be a bigger risk because Arum wouldn't make as much money from the fight and because HBO CLEARLY WANTS GAMBOA-LOPEZ.

Gamboa-Lopez will be hyped as the FOTY and nobody wants either guy to have a loss beforehand. As long as Arum controls both guys the fight is like a carrot to HBO and HBO, seemingly, is going to bend whichever way Arum wants. And, unfortunately, Gamboa has a weak chin which is why Arum isn't going to put him in with a puncher or a dynamic boxer like Marquez before the "megafight".

I was under the impression that HBO was going to have Gamboa-Lopez this year. I believe Kellerman said that after Gamboa's last fight. And it doesn't look like that's going to happen which is too bad for boxing and too bad for Gamboa, who is 29 and probably still not a millionaire.

And I believe that there is every chance in the world that Arum is shooting himself in the foot by postponing this fight because Gamboa becomes a better fighter every time out.

Arum is clearly protecting Lopez from Gamboa.

Sal.. i honestly dont think we see that fight happen... did you see lopez the other night?.. he looks huge right now.. no way he's on weight (or maybe that was just his clothes).. rumor is he is going to lightweight at the end of this year... and even tho lopez got in the ring sat. night i think that was all show (i think both fighters want it but uncle bob wont let that fight go down i dont think)... hopefully im wrong... lol... i want to see that fight more so than a pac/may fight.... its a legit suoerfight... well hard core fight fan super fight... i doubt the fight appeals much to the casual fan but its one of the best most explosive fights that can be made in boxing right now... i.m.o...
salvador
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Mar 28 2011, 10:50 AM) *
i honestly dont think we see that fight happen...

rumor is he is going to lightweight at the end of this year... and even tho lopez got in the ring sat. night i think that was all show (i think both fighters want it but uncle bob wont let that fight go down i dont think)...

its one of the best most explosive fights that can be made in boxing right now... i.m.o...

I hope you're wrong about it not happening. If it doesn't then Gamboa should put out a hit on Arum.

If Lopez is going to 135 then he should be comfortable dominating Gamboa at 130 - but I think Lopez knows that Gamboa is the most dangerous guy out there for him right now.

We totally agree on this being the best fight that can be made in the sport right now - and if it doesn't happen then I hope HBO says fuck you to Arum for the rest of his life.
gravytrain
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 27 2011, 07:45 AM) *

you serious? what are they gonna do, put their foot down and have Arum just get further in bed with Showtime?

Bob Arum doing what is best for Bob Arum is what's to blame, not a network. networks can cut deals for fights but at the end of the day the promoter has to make the fights.
salvador
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Mar 28 2011, 04:23 PM) *
you serious? what are they gonna do, put their foot down and have Arum just get further in bed with Showtime?

Fuck yes! What's HBO supposed to do, keep showing Gamboa on BAD fighting guys nobody's ever heard of when Gamboa is clearly the most exciting guy in the sport?

Arum needs HBO a lot more than HBO needs Arum. Showtime might love to have the little guys - great. The little guys are great fighters but, generally speaking, terrible money makers.

And if fighters knew Arum was out with HBO he'd have a hell of a hard time signing new talent. Not to mention, Showtime would be able to dictate terms to Arum unless Arum wanted to do more of those ridiculous "latin fury" PPVs.

The truth is that boxing has been hijacked by 3 promoters and 2 networks and that is very sad. HBO is the big dog in the group and as such HBO has a responsibility to boxing to make sure that the sport doesn't suffer simply because Arum signs these guys to long term contracts.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 28 2011, 04:40 PM) *
The truth is that boxing has been hijacked by 3 promoters and 2 networks and that is very sad. HBO is the big dog in the group and as such HBO has a responsibility to boxing to make sure that the sport doesn't suffer simply because Arum signs these guys to long term contracts.

very well said... that is one of the major problems in the sport.... the smaller promoters with good fighters dont have the free range with their guys to move them like they see fit (and may have a better interest out for the fighter in the long run)... seems like they have to sell their fighter at some point if the fighter wants a shot at bigger times... the monopoly on the sport is hurting a lot of the bigger fights that are out there... fighters with any pedigree really have no other choice but to sign with gbp, top rank or to a lesser degree these days king if they want any exposure.... king is only partially involved so once arum ages to the point he can no longer work then maybe we will see some things really get to moving and shaking again in the sport... there are too many fights to be made for the sport to not be considered a major sport...
gravytrain
QUOTE (salvador @ Mar 28 2011, 04:40 PM) *
Fuck yes! What's HBO supposed to do, keep showing Gamboa on BAD fighting guys nobody's ever heard of when Gamboa is clearly the most exciting guy in the sport?

Arum needs HBO a lot more than HBO needs Arum. Showtime might love to have the little guys - great. The little guys are great fighters but, generally speaking, terrible money makers.

And if fighters knew Arum was out with HBO he'd have a hell of a hard time signing new talent. Not to mention, Showtime would be able to dictate terms to Arum unless Arum wanted to do more of those ridiculous "latin fury" PPVs.

Pac is also the only real PPV fighter and if HBO tries to tell Arum anything he's going to do what he already did and that's work with Showtime, Showtime is giving them a better deal with marketing anyway for big fights.

if people want networks to act like promoters then networks should be able to be promoters again. the current system isn't working, the promoters have too much power and networks have to kiss too much ass. HBO doesn't have any responsibility to make sure the sport doesn't suffer when the promoters are getting better deals than them. if people want to see these 2 guys fight then they need to look no further than Arum because that's the man making the decisions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.