Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Morales-Maidana undercard looks damn good!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
This is actually a really good PPV event. Usually I'm thrilled if there's a single fight on the undercard worth watching, but here there's 4 - and the main event, though it's 2nd tier on a good day, is definitely interesting.

Morales is one of everybody's all time fighters (including myself - top 10 - though I really wish he would retire) and Maidana is one of my favs of current fighters and I'm thrilled that HBO is giving him this chance so I'm excited to see this fight. And the undercard is unusually good:

Guerrero-Katsidis - awesome
Kirkland's return - very interested to see how he looks
Malignaggi-Jose Cotto - pretty interesting and would typically be the top fight of most recent undercards
Danny Garcia-Nate Campbell - Garcia is an interesting prospect in a hot division and though it's sad that Campbell apparently needs money, I always love to see him fight - talk about a guy who'll fight anybody

This is 3 or 4 solid hours of entertainment. What a concept!
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 5 2011, 01:33 PM) *
This is actually a really good PPV event. Usually I'm thrilled if there's a single fight on the undercard worth watching, but here there's 4 - and the main event, though it's 2nd tier on a good day, is definitely interesting.

Morales is one of everybody's all time fighters (including myself - top 10 - though I really wish he would retire) and Maidana is one of my favs of current fighters and I'm thrilled that HBO is giving him this chance so I'm excited to see this fight. And the undercard is unusually good:

Guerrero-Katsidis - awesome
Kirkland's return - very interested to see how he looks
Malignaggi-Jose Cotto - pretty interesting and would typically be the top fight of most recent undercards
Danny Garcia-Nate Campbell - Garcia is an interesting prospect in a hot division and though it's sad that Campbell apparently needs money, I always love to see him fight - talk about a guy who'll fight anybody

This is 3 or 4 solid hours of entertainment. What a concept!

I think i'm gonna order this fight as well, watch with my pops as we hold our collective breaths once the opening bell sounds for the main event. The undercard is pretty solid with alot of notable fighters, but imo there are really only 2 fights that have some kind of substance and that is the Kirkland bout as well as Katsidis vs. Guerrero. Malignaggi vs. Jose Cotto is a meaningless fight, and I don't know too much about Garcia, but I did see his fight vs theophane and didn't seem like anything i haven't seen before.

I'm praying Morales makes it to the final bell, maybe pull off the upset of a decade and win, but I really don't see that happening. My heart's gonna be pounding once that fight starts lol

lloyd mayflower
Seemingly Morales v Maidana is for the WBA belt, with Khan now being super champion. How absolutely fucking ridiculous
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 5 2011, 02:42 PM) *
Seemingly Morales v Maidana is for the WBA belt, with Khan now being super champion. How absolutely fucking ridiculous

After his last fight, I think it's deserving that Maidana gets another shot at the title. Morales doesn't deserve the shot, but Maidana will almost certainly be taking home the belt anyways. TBH it's not as bad as Alvarez fighting matthew hatton for the WBC welterweight title as neither fighter were deserving of it at that point in time.
lloyd mayflower
I dont see how losing to Khan, regardless of how close it was, merits an instant shot at the title, and what is much more bullshit than that, is this super champion nonsense. There are already too many champions and these fuckers want to manufacture ANOTHER champion so that they can have 2 "champions"
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 5 2011, 03:12 PM) *
I dont see how losing to Khan, regardless of how close it was, merits an instant shot at the title, and what is much more bullshit than that, is this super champion nonsense. There are already too many champions and these fuckers want to manufacture ANOTHER champion so that they can have 2 "champions"

Maidana won the interim title as an underdog vs Ortiz, defended it 3 times and lost it controversially to Khan in a very close, competitive fight. Name 1 or 2 other fighters at 140 pounds who are more deserving at a shot at a title than Maidana. If Maidana wins the interim title he can once again get in line for a rematch with Khan. Khan's side will likely try to avoid sucha scenario,but it remains a fight alot of people think Maidana should get and could come out victorious
D-MARV
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 5 2011, 07:43 PM) *
The undercard is good and as a big Morales fan, the main event isn't. It won't be boring, but it shouldn't be happening at all. A total mismatch, and this fight should do absolutely nothing for Maidana and he will get absolutely no credit what so ever for this win.

Have a little bit more faith my friend...

You're one of the only dudes that can see the fraud that Maidana really is.

WAR MORALES

This is the shit that legends are made of!
gravytrain
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 5 2011, 06:12 PM) *

i think they just looked at as a chance to get more sanctioning fees. that's about all a belt is anymore other than the Ring belt.
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 5 2011, 08:12 PM) *
You give Morales a shot?

I haven't bothered watching his fights since his come back, but I saw his 3rd fight with Pacquiao, and that was enough for me to realise he is only going to be worse years older, and divisions higher. I can't see how he can win, he would need to box for 12 full rounds and not fall to into a fight with Maidana or the pressure, and I just cannot see that happening.

I can't either and it breaks my heart. But that said, he does have far superior skills and just the fact that he wants the fight is enough to make me like him even more. That said, clearly HBO is looking to keep Maidana in the mix and I can't help but believe that that is anything other than positive.

Hopefully Morales is getting enough from this fight to make it worth his while.
EAlbian
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 5 2011, 09:08 PM) *
I can't either and it breaks my heart. But that said, he does have far superior skills and just the fact that he wants the fight is enough to make me like him even more. That said, clearly HBO is looking to keep Maidana in the mix and I can't help but believe that that is anything other than positive.

Hopefully Morales is getting enough from this fight to make it worth his while.

Doesn't matter how much he is getting because i seriously think he may die in the ring, this fight is all wrong for morales. He couldn't handle Diaz he's got no shot against Maidana. What good is it for a man to gain worldly riches, yet forfeit his life in the process?
salvador
QUOTE (EAlbian @ Apr 6 2011, 11:25 AM) *
What good is it for a man to gain worldly riches, yet forfeit his life in the process?

The problem is, of course, a bit more complicated when he and his family have gotten used to a certain lifestyle and an expectation for the financial security of his children and grandchildren only to find out that he's not quite as secure as he had once thought.

All kidding aside, I wish Morales had retired after the second Pac fight.
EAlbian
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 6 2011, 11:47 AM) *
The problem is, of course, a bit more complicated when he and his family have gotten used to a certain lifestyle and an expectation for the financial security of his children and grandchildren only to find out that he's not quite as secure as he had once thought.

All kidding aside, I wish Morales had retired after the second Pac fight.

Of course but i think his family would agree that his health and well being are of more importance than making their lives more comfortable. I agree, he probably should have asked for an immediate rematch with pac instead of losing some of the luster by losing to raheem. Terrible match making by the way from Top Rank.

I wish Morales the best, although i have always favored Pac and barerra over him.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 5 2011, 08:12 PM) *
i think they just looked at as a chance to get more sanctioning fees. that's about all a belt is anymore other than the Ring belt.

Yea,

And plus if you win a WBO or IBF world title, or already have it. when you hold the WBA belt at the same time, you are promoted to WBA Super Champion. This idea was actually suggested to the WBA by Lennox Lewis when he had the multiple championships to avoid having to fight so many people in a short time frame. Super Champions are generally given 18-27 months between defenses, where as if you just hold the WBA belt, you are supposed to fight at least once a year or present medical reasons why you cannot.

I would not mind the Super Champion thing, if there was no "regular champion" along side of him in the WBA, OR the top contender is just made the mandatory for the Super Champion. The WBA says they can't do that because they don't want to have a division with a vacancy for up to two years while the Super Champion bides his time between defenses.

No interim titles, no Silver belts for the top two mandatory contenders in eliminations, (Which is what the WBC does.) Just have the Super Champion when he gets more than one major alphabet belt, and than anyone else is a contender.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.