Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going to my first pro boxing fight! Pascal vs. Hopkins II
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mexi-cutioner
So i'll be travelling to Montreal in May and although I haven't bought my tix as of yet, I expect to be attending the Pascal vs BHop rematch and it'll be my first live boxing event!

Being a big fan of the sport, i'm pretty damn excited to be going and mayb even a little bit nervous lol. With that being said, i kinda wanna hear from u guys about what it's like attending a fight and some of the best fights you've attended? How early should I arrive? Is anyone else on fighthype planning on going? How drunk should I get lol
neophyte7
Sounds good. I saw BHOP live when he mauled Keith Holmes in the middleweight tournament prior to him thrashing Felix Trinidad
caneman
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 9 2011, 05:17 AM) *
So i'll be travelling to Montreal in May and although I haven't bought my tix as of yet, I expect to be attending the Pascal vs BHop rematch and it'll be my first live boxing event!

Being a big fan of the sport, i'm pretty damn excited to be going and mayb even a little bit nervous lol. With that being said, i kinda wanna hear from u guys about what it's like attending a fight and some of the best fights you've attended? How early should I arrive? Is anyone else on fighthype planning on going? How drunk should I get lol

Hurry and buy your tickets and enjoy yourself!
Snoop
Depends on where you're sitting. From my limited experience (Mayweather vs Mitchell/Morales vs Pacquiao II), I didn't really go to "see" the fight, but to be at the fights. Let's be real. You'd get a better view watching it from home, but being in the stands, you can literally feel the energy in the crowd and that's an experience worth having in and of itself.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 9 2011, 05:17 AM) *

the electricity in my opinion is like no other event ive ever been to and ive been to baseball and foot ball games and even concerts... i love the crowds as well cuzz no matter what walk of life you are coming from you are mixing and mingling with a little of every body and you see some crazy things going on... last fight i went to was pac clottey and they where picking up prostitutes left and right (arresting)... i was like damn.. lol... and the women... oh my you will see some women chopped to death at the fights... truly dressed to kill... its just cool in my opinion to be around the different ethnicities... seems like i make new friends every time i go to the fights... lol.. and the different fighters and personalities that you bump shoulders with is cool too... i cant name all the fighters and boxing people ive met from going to even the small cards... its a great experience mexi.. you never forget your first fight card...
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 9 2011, 03:17 AM) *

Congratulations, that is awesome. You are going to have a great time. There is nothing like going to the fights. The atmosphere and the energy is amazing. It should be a pack arena there in Montreal, since Canadians fill the seats. For your sake you better hope Pascal has a great night as it will pump up the crowd much more.

The first fight I ever went to was the all-time classic Bobby Chacon vs Bazooka Limon. It was at the historic Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento which packed in about 5,000 crazy fans. It was a crazy atmosphere and my pops took me for my 16th birthday. Everyone there was going wild throughout the whole fight. Chacon and Limon put on a performance of a lifetime as they went back forth the whole fight. That was the fight that made me love boxing so much.

Mexicutioner eat lots of food have lots of beers and enjoy a great night. Just don't drink so much where you become sloppy, you still want to be coherent enough to enjoy the fight.
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 9 2011, 11:43 AM) *
Depends on where you're sitting. From my limited experience (Mayweather vs Mitchell/Morales vs Pacquiao II), I didn't really go to "see" the fight, but to be at the fights. Let's be real. You'd get a better view watching it from home, but being in the stands, you can literally feel the energy in the crowd and that's an experience worth having in and of itself.

thats a good point snoop... ive had some pretty good seats at a few of the fights ive been too and truth is none of them beat the view of the television... but the experience of beingatthe fight can not ever be matched by a television screen....
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 9 2011, 09:43 AM) *

I'm sitting balcony lower level, 4th row I believe. It's pretty far back i'd say, but most of the tix were going for $100+ and being a student on a strict travel budget, i didn't wanna spend too much on a ticket, especially since I had to buy my gf's ticket as well and roundtrip flight to montreal from vancouver is $700+ threaten.gif TBH though I probably will end up watching most of the fight from the jumbotron, but simply being at the arena for my first live card in an expected capacity crowd is definitely what i'm truly looking forward to!

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 9 2011, 09:52 AM) *
the electricity in my opinion is like no other event ive ever been to and ive been to baseball and foot ball games and even concerts... i love the crowds as well cuzz no matter what walk of life you are coming from you are mixing and mingling with a little of every body and you see some crazy things going on... last fight i went to was pac clottey and they where picking up prostitutes left and right (arresting)... i was like damn.. lol... and the women... oh my you will see some women chopped to death at the fights... truly dressed to kill... its just cool in my opinion to be around the different ethnicities... seems like i make new friends every time i go to the fights... lol.. and the different fighters and personalities that you bump shoulders with is cool too... i cant name all the fighters and boxing people ive met from going to even the small cards... its a great experience mexi.. you never forget your first fight card...

hahaha that sounds crazy Jluv, Montreal is a crazy party city too so I expect to see some crazy shit going down in and out of the arena lol. I definitely can't wait and i'll probably be posting pics from the event once I get back from my trip.

QUOTE (True-Boxing-Fan @ Apr 9 2011, 01:50 PM) *
Congratulations, that is awesome. You are going to have a great time. There is nothing like going to the fights. The atmosphere and the energy is amazing. It should be a pack arena there in Montreal, since Canadians fill the seats. For your sake you better hope Pascal has a great night as it will pump up the crowd much more.

The first fight I ever went to was the all-time classic Bobby Chacon vs Bazooka Limon. It was at the historic Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento which packed in about 5,000 crazy fans. It was a crazy atmosphere and my pops took me for my 16th birthday. Everyone there was going wild throughout the whole fight. Chacon and Limon put on a performance of a lifetime as they went back forth the whole fight. That was the fight that made me love boxing so much.

Mexicutioner eat lots of food have lots of beers and enjoy a great night. Just don't drink so much where you become sloppy, you still want to be coherent enough to enjoy the fight.

THanks, and yes i'm definitely looking forward to the atmosphere and just being at my first live fight. Which fight fight was it between Chacon and Limon? From what I recall, they went through like 3-4 wars together that's incredible to have attended such an intense fight for ur first live boxing match. TBH, I'm still deciding on who I want to root for lol, I like Pascal simply cus he's Canadian and I feel as if i've gotta back my fellow Canuck, but at the same time I have MAD respect for BHop and it'd be amazing to be there to witness history and see BHop b the oldest fighter to win a title. I think i'll just have a good dinner, get nice and loaded and see who the alcohol decides to root for lmao.
mexi-cutioner
How early do u guys suggest is a good time to arrive? The doors open at 7pm, but i don't think the HBO broadcasts will start till around 10pm.
True-Boxing-Fan
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 9 2011, 02:59 PM) *
Which fight fight was it between Chacon and Limon? From what I recall, they went through like 3-4 wars together that's incredible to have attended such an intense fight for ur first live boxing match.

To be honest I'm not sure if it was there 2nd or 3rd fight, I'd have to check boxrec. But it was there famous 15 round fight of the year war. It was the best fight i have ever seen. As a 16 year old youngster i was more caught up on the atomsphere then the fight itself as the crowd was in hysterics the whole fight.

I say get to the fights early and take in some of the preliminary fights. Those can be very entertaining and they will get you primed up for the main event.
neophyte7
but at the same time I have MAD respect for BHop and it'd be amazing to be there to witness history and see BHop win his first world title.
[/quote]

BHOP'S first WORLD TITLE??? please explain
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 9 2011, 04:12 PM) *
but at the same time I have MAD respect for BHop and it'd be amazing to be there to witness history and see BHop win his first world title.

BHOP'S first WORLD TITLE??? please explain

hahaha, jesus christ that's embarassing. I meant to say "it'd be amazing to witness history and see Bhop be the oldest fighter to win a world title. Been having too many brain farts lately, I had a similar one in another thread about BHop and Pascal. THe post has since been edited.
gravytrain
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 9 2011, 06:01 PM) *
How early do u guys suggest is a good time to arrive? The doors open at 7pm, but i don't think the HBO broadcasts will start till around 10pm.

it depends on how many fights you want to see really. if you want to watch the whole card go early but if not just wait til later and see all the televised fights.

QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 9 2011, 12:43 PM) *

i think it's like that with every sport. i went to watch the Bucs vs the Vikings and i was hyped up to see AD and Favre live but having people over and watching it on a nice tv in HD beats that shit 10/10. same with when i went to see Jones/Tarver III, it's nice but seeing it on TV just gives you so many more angles and it isn't a few grand to be up close lol.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 9 2011, 06:07 PM) *
it depends on how many fights you want to see really. if you want to watch the whole card go early but if not just wait til later and see all the televised fights.

i think it's like that with every sport. i went to watch the Bucs vs the Vikings and i was hyped up to see AD and Favre live but having people over and watching it on a nice tv in HD beats that shit 10/10. same with when i went to see Jones/Tarver III, it's nice but seeing it on TV just gives you so many more angles and it isn't a few grand to be up close lol.

I've heard from some other people that arenas such as the MGM Grand is designed so "every seat is supposed to be a good seat" which is what i've heard dntknw.gif but yeah i'm definitely gonna be tehre just to "be" there and if anything, i have the good ol' jumbo-tron to rely on to better see the action
lloyd mayflower
Get totally shitfaced! Im going to Pac Mosley and thats integral to my plan. Get shitfaced and let the blood lust flow freely through you. Iv never gone to a fight sober, its always served me well
JLUVBABY
QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 10 2011, 02:25 PM) *
Get totally shitfaced! Im going to Pac Mosley and thats integral to my plan. Get shitfaced and let the blood lust flow freely through you. Iv never gone to a fight sober, its always served me well

i learned a long time ago in my younger days not to get to fucked up before going to the fights.... first fight card i ever went to i was so fucked up and buzzin i missed most of the action... lol... i was full of gin and everything else that night... lol... now i drink a little before going and just drink beer once i get there.. lol...
ROLL DEEP
I'm terrible at drinking, so I stay away from it as I would never remember anything, haha.

Saw Hatton - Tyzsu. What an incredible night. One of the best nights I've had. Atmosphere was amazing and really enjoyed it.

Got there pretty early and watched the early fights when the arena was empty. Man, you don't realise how hard those guys hit until you've heard them land live - it's actually pretty sickening!!!

Have a good one, dude!
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Apr 10 2011, 08:36 PM) *
i learned a long time ago in my younger days not to get to fucked up before going to the fights.... first fight card i ever went to i was so fucked up and buzzin i missed most of the action... lol... i was full of gin and everything else that night... lol... now i drink a little before going and just drink beer once i get there.. lol...

Haha I remember at Hatton Castillo a Vegas taxi driver told us that there was no beer sold at the Thomas and Mack, so me and my mate got pretty steamin before it, then of course when we got there we were surrounded by beer sellers! A messy night!

Your right about that Roll, the sickening dull thud you get doesnt come across on tv!
mexi-cutioner
hahaha, nice input everyone. I think i've decided i'll get drunk, but not too shitfaced. I wanna be able to remember my first live fight and dont wanna hv to rewatch it again in the morning to remember who won.

Is anyone on this board planning on going to the fight btw????
SmartyBeardo
The girlfriend thing is risky at best (especially if you are planning on getting shit faced), unless she is built like a gorilla and can carry your ass out. I mean, if she is flat out smoke, like Mrs. Beardo, she may well become the show for the shit faced peanut gallery crowd. Happened to me last weekend at The Rainbow Room in West Hollywood. She started a fukin' melee between a group of head bangin' biker fuks and their sloppy leather halter topped bitches just walkin through the crowd.

Dull thuds and whip cracks all around. Mrs. Beardo was not amused. She prefers accordion with her hip hop.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE (ROLL DEEP @ Apr 11 2011, 05:49 AM) *
Got there pretty early and watched the early fights when the arena was empty. Man, you don't realise how hard those guys hit until you've heard them land live - it's actually pretty sickening!!!

I agree. I watched Paul Briggs vs Glen Kelly & was 4 rows from the front. The shot Briggs knocked him out with was like a pistol shot crack & the thump as Kelly hit the deck was brutally audible. Watching fighters live you earn a new respect for how tough they are even the palookas as it takes some balls to get into a ring.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.