Itchi The Killer
Dawon Of The Dead
Night Of The Living Dead
Jeepers Creepers
Pet Semetary
Pet Semetary 2

Can anyone give me films not mentioned?
ViperSniper
I used to be massive on my horror flicks, you've covered alot of the top ones. Maybe elaborate on some of the Nightmare on Elm Streets..also..

Psycho 1 & 2
Halloween 1, 2, 4 & 5
Friday the 13th 2-Manhattan
Poltergeist
Warlord
QUOTE (BigG @ Apr 10 2011, 09:12 PM) *
I have

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
Friday the 13th
Exorcism Of Emily Rose
The Exorcist
The Thing
The Shining
Predator
Alien
Aliens
Audition
Childs Play
Childs Play 2
Wrong Turn
It
Audition
Scream
Itchi The Killer
Dawon Of The Dead
Night Of The Living Dead
Jeepers Creepers
Pet Semetary
Pet Semetary 2

Can anyone give me films not mentioned?

Any of the old Universal films. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Wolfman, The Mummy. Hammer's versions of Dracula (called 'Horror of Dracula' in the U.S.), Frakenstein ('The Curse of Frankenstein' in the U.S.), and The Mummy.

I give the old Universals a slight edge, with Bela Lugosi setting the standard for all future Draculas, and Boris Karloff setting the standard for all future Frankenstein monsters. Bela maybe moreso than Karloff, as Bela not only set the standard for Dracula, but for ALL vampires. Before Bela vampires were grotesque, such as Max Schreck's 'Count Orlak' in Nosferatu. After Bela, vampires were sexy; dark and seductive. Karloff did well portraying the monster as pathos, but this has both been done before and since in many different mediums and contexts. NO ONE ever again captured the seductive darkness that Bela put onscreen.

That said, Hammer's films are by no means second rate, as most of their classics featured all-time great actors in Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee; perhaps unknown to those of you smothered and murdered in modern popular culture. You probably saw these fine actors dozens of times without realizing it. Cushing portrayed Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars: A New Hope (he was the one who told Vader to release one of those mugs getting force-choked), while Lee portrayed Count Dooku in episodes 2 and 3 of the same franchise.

For real horror, however, no one does it better than the Japanese. With the exception of the first Saw film, there has been nothing of worth coming out of American cinema for years, as it pertains to the horror genre. Unless you count schlock as good cinema. In that context, they have come out in droves, and Hollywood is king.
Warlord
QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Apr 10 2011, 10:24 PM) *
I used to be massive on my horror flicks, you've covered alot of the top ones. Maybe elaborate on some of the Nightmare on Elm Streets..also..

Psycho 1 & 2
Halloween 1, 2, 4 & 5
Friday the 13th 2-Manhattan
Poltergeist

I wouldn't count any of Hitchcock's films as horror, at least in the most specific of terms. Hitchcock films were closer to suspense than horror, in my opinion. But that's just my opinion. I know there are plenty who do classify Hitchcock as a horror director.

To me he is in his own category, separate and distinct from mainstream genre directors. As most great artists are.
BigG
I have all pyscho's and the first 2 halloweens just forgot to mention.

warlord have any recomendations for Japanese Horror/killer films besides Audition and Itchi The Killer?
Fitz
I haven't seen it, but this Korean movie is supposed to be good. I Saw the Devil

ViperSniper
QUOTE (Warlord @ Apr 11 2011, 04:38 AM) *
I wouldn't count any of Hitchcock's films as horror, at least in the most specific of terms. Hitchcock films were closer to suspense than horror, in my opinion. But that's just my opinion. I know there are plenty who do classify Hitchcock as a horror director.

To me he is in his own category, separate and distinct from mainstream genre directors. As most great artists are.

That's true, Hitchcock films aren't 'horror' & I've always considered Psycho a 'Thriller' rather than anything. Just figured to throw it in there as it may have also cross over to a killer/slasher movie.

Pyscho may not be the scariest or bloodiest but it is my personal favourite out of these genres! Anthony Perkins plays the roll of Norman Bates is classic. The scene where he gets questioned the day after the murder is very impressive acting when he starts stuttering and choking up!!

Started watching a little more Hitchcock movies and the guy makes some very impressive movies and has a great selection of actors. Dial M for Murder is one my new favourite movies, I truly was blown away by that movie!
Snoop
Anything by Takashi Miike is generally kinda fucked up.
Warlord
QUOTE (BigG @ Apr 10 2011, 11:40 PM) *

warlord have any recomendations for Japanese Horror/killer films besides Audition and Itchi The Killer?

Battle Royale, first and foremost. Not technically a horror film, though I have seen it put into that category. It is without a doubt a film about killing, however. A group of middle school students sent to an island and forced to kill one another until only one remains. A classic, and one of my favorites.

2LDK is another good one. Only 2 characters in the entire film. Girls. Room-mates. Fighting for the same role in a film. Chain saws, swords, toilet lids, ice picks, and bleach are just a few of the weapons they use on each other. A great film with a great twist, as only the Japanese can do.

Suicide Club, more than the other 2, might be the one that is closer to being a true horror film. Another great, great film.

Kuya (English title 'Cure') is another good one, but like all Japanese horror this is an ultra-cerebral film, one that has a deep underlying message to go along with it. If you're into schlock, the 3 I mentioned already should satiate your appetite, even if the point of the films fly over your head. Kuya invariably disappoints those who go into it expecting a typical slasher. It is so densely layered that multiple viewings are needed before you can start to make sense of it. And even then, not everything is explained. That being one of the main differences (generally speaking) between western and Japanese audiences. Most western movie studios pound the plot and subsequent plot point(s) (if there is one) over your head with a mallet. Japanese films, for the most part, do not.

Some older classics would be Ringu and Ju-On, though they have been greatly over-hyped, to the point that they now disappoint due to the massive expectations people take with them.

Kwaidan, though, is pure awesome. It's old, but it's still fucking awesome. If you can't get down with that film, you need to get your head checked for malformation. Kwaidan, based on the book of the same name, is a collection of ancient Japanese ghost stories. Great sets, great costumes, great makeup, great source material. Just fucking great.

That's it for now. Definitely check them out if you're interested in expanding your scope or refining your palate. If modern American horror is the epoch of art in your book, however, you should stay far, far away from these films. They will disappoint.
Warlord
QUOTE (Snoop @ Apr 11 2011, 03:06 AM) *
Anything by Takashi Miike is generally kinda fucked up.

I don't get down with Miike's stuff. It's just too brutal for me. Sadists would probably love Miike and worship at his throne. There's a difference between using violence to tell a story, telling a story using violence, and using violence as a story. Miike opts for the 3rd in most cases. It's okay, I guess, and definitely commercial. But it's just not my cup of tea.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (BigG @ Apr 10 2011, 10:40 PM) *

Warlord beat me to it. Battle Royale is a must-see. FanTAStic premise. It some cheesy romantic crap in it for sure that it doesn't need, but there are some great, great moments. Quentin Tarantino referenced it quite a bit in Kill Bill 1.

I'm actually stunned Hollywood hasn't tried a cheap U.S. remake, though it sounds like this new Hunger Games thing might be pretty similar.
BGv2.0
I'm not a huge fan of Japanese Horror...but I did recently see the trailer for "I saw the Devil"...it looks pretty good.

`Here are some worth checking out the trailer for...I'm sure YouTube will have them.

Taxidermia
Visions of Suffering
In My Skin
The Reflecting Skin
Begotten (over rated IMHO)
Flower of Flesh and Blood
Men Behind the Sun
Aftermath
Necromantic 1 & 2
Singapore Sling (the French film not the crappy B title with Gene Simmons wife)
lloyd mayflower
Have to bow down to the extensive knowledge of horrors on this board! I just dont get it tho, why fuck with your mind and deliberately scare the shit out of yourself?

I'm afraid I am, as we say in Scotland, a shitehouse
Warlord
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 11 2011, 12:28 PM) *
Warlord beat me to it. Battle Royale is a must-see. FanTAStic premise. It some cheesy romantic crap in it for sure that it doesn't need, but there are some great, great moments. Quentin Tarantino referenced it quite a bit in Kill Bill 1.

I'm actually stunned Hollywood hasn't tried a cheap U.S. remake, though it sounds like this new Hunger Games thing might be pretty similar.

They've been trying for awhile, but the Japanese studios were demanding too much money for the rights. A polite way of telling Hollywood to fuck off. I don't blame them. Hollywood would just fuck it up. There isn't a young actor today that could match Masanobu Ando's mesmerizing performance as the silent Kazuo Kiriyama. They'd bitch about not having any lines and then storm off set until they got themselves some cheesy one-liner written into the script.

Look at this pic guys. This is Kiriyama walking away from an explosion so hot that his pupils melted down his face. If you can't get down with this type of bad assery you need to check your nuts at the door and start rinsing dishes in the kitchen.

Spyder
Wow, good thread. Surprised no one said Candyman yet. There's nothing scarier than a black man coming to kill you in the bathroom with a meat hook...makes you think twice about those middle of the night pisses.

I saw Jeepers Creepers listed. I always thought Jeepers Creepers 2 was a better flick.

Also, don't forget Jaws. It has scared generations of people from swimming in the ocean. Another old school flick, Rosemary's Baby. Being a pedophile must give him a slight advantage, because Roman Polanski knows how to bring the creepy.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Spyder @ Apr 11 2011, 09:39 PM) *
Another old school flick, Rosemary's Baby. Being a pedophile must give him a slight advantage, because Roman Polanski knows how to bring the creepy.

You need to make sure you check out some of his other works....for sure The Tenant and Repulsion.

It's really hard to see Natalie Portman win an Oscar for crazy in Black Swan after you've seen Catherine Denuve in Repulsion....

NOTHING beats Repulsion when it comes to psycho women.

And...on a side note, as I'm seeing it quite a bit on here...I've always thought Battle Royale was WAY OVERRATED....I recall the first time I watched it and being so let down....BUT...then again, as I've said before...I am not a huge fan of Japanese horror.

Big Slim Sweet
An American Werewolf in London (not that garbage Paris one) is another older horror flick that I think is vastly underrated.
Warlord
QUOTE (BGv2.0 @ Apr 12 2011, 12:07 PM) *
And...on a side note, as I'm seeing it quite a bit on here...I've always thought Battle Royale was WAY OVERRATED....I recall the first time I watched it and being so let down....BUT...then again, as I've said before...I am not a huge fan of Japanese horror.

If you went in expecting a horror film, then you were no doubt let down. Battle Royale was a coming-of-age story set to a violent background. The film, and especially the novel, was more focused on what it means to be young, and to be alive, than it ever was on the violence that went along with it. I get the feeling most western audiences would've been more happy just to see a non-stop bloodbath for 90 minutes, forgoing any semblance of the humanity that really drove the film.

If there ever is a Hollywood remake, you might even get that wish.

As it was, the film was perfect to me. I cared about those characters, and their relationships and motivations rang true. You had people choosing to play the game, people choosing to die, people who lived by a code, and people willing to break that code. You had people willing to kill friends, and people willing to die for friends. Just good, good stuff.
caneman
Wow, y'all brought up some good ones...I know 13 ghosts was a freaking trip.
BGv2.0
QUOTE (Warlord @ Apr 12 2011, 10:34 PM) *
If you went in expecting a horror film, then you were no doubt let down. Battle Royale was a coming-of-age story set to a violent background. The film, and especially the novel, was more focused on what it means to be young, and to be alive, than it ever was on the violence that went along with it. I get the feeling most western audiences would've been more happy just to see a non-stop bloodbath for 90 minutes, forgoing any semblance of the humanity that really drove the film.

If there ever is a Hollywood remake, you might even get that wish.

As it was, the film was perfect to me. I cared about those characters, and their relationships and motivations rang true. You had people choosing to play the game, people choosing to die, people who lived by a code, and people willing to break that code. You had people willing to kill friends, and people willing to die for friends. Just good, good stuff.

Well....I guess I should clarify...it's a good film, a very good film...BUT...you have to remember it was like 1997 or so (can't recall specific dates)....and this was before you could rip stuff off the net left and right....and all you heard about was how violent and terrible this film was...and let me tell you...it was work to get a copy...so by the time I did...the hype that surrounded it was huge.

And for me, an admitted gorehound....it was boring and not what I expected.

AND...I think the film still to this day creates that expectation with some viewers.

Icebeast
my horror movie time was about 10 years ago, but here a few ones i remember were quite decent:

Evil Dead Trilogy
Dead Alive (aka Braindead)
Maniac
New York Ripper
The Burning
Phantasm
Hellraiser
Tenebre
Phenomena
Suspiria
The Beyond
Woodoo (aka Zombi 2)
High Tension (Haute Tension)

happygocampy
Martyrs - A pretty epicly F'd up horror flick. Maybe hard to find, it's a French film, must see for any true horror film enthusiast

Pandorum - A sci-fi mystery horror type film, the plot is badass

Event Horizon - Another sci-fi horror flick, it was pretty good when i saw it in theaters over 10 years ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.