Full Version: HBO: Berto vs Ortiz@9:45(ET)/6:45(PT): SPOILERS 45 MINS LATER
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
KookedKrack
drinks.gif drinks.gif drinks.gif
caneman
I will be pissed if this is a bad score card! ORTIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Wow what a fight. I didn't even try to score it, but Ortiz clearly took that fight. He really stepped it up tonight, and was mentally strong in rounds 1-12. I knew Ortiz had the talent to hang with Berto, but he showed the mental capacity as well. I'd love to see Ortiz fight the top guys at welter, but we'll see what happens. I'd also love to see a rematch here.
Nay_Sayer
I don't know who's more pathetic, Andre "Henry Akinwande" Berto or that sorry assed Ref for not calling him in on all of that damn holding...
HaydelHammer
that was a nice left ortiz landed on that knock down...just turned it over berto ran right into it.
gravytrain
Ortiz got my respect tonight but staying in it or not i still don't like Berto. overhyped, overpaid and with different opposition he wouldn't have held onto a title this long.
True-Boxing-Fan
Ortiz finally fought to his moniker, vicious. He fought real real hard, with heart, determination and viciousness and like a man. He showed a great performance, he took some great shots and didn't fold like he's had in the past. Berto got a beat down. Damn there has been some great upsets lately. I love it.
True-Boxing-Fan
Ortiz finally fought to his moniker, vicious. He fought real real hard, with heart, determination and viciousness and like a man. He showed a great performance, he took some great shots and didn't fold like he's had in the past. Berto got a beat down. Damn there has been some great upsets lately. I love it.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 16 2011, 11:31 PM) *
Ortiz desrves all credit. Hopefully no PEDS

Yeah, he looks ripped for a Mexican. Not saying Mexicans are out of shape, it's just that you don't usually see one as cut as Ortiz is.
HaydelHammer
congrats to the dude...he came a long way from that night he wore his tampon to the ring years back
PR316
Ortiz EARNED my respect tonight.

Thats how you come back from being hurt and knocked down.
lloyd mayflower
What were the scores then?
KookedKrack
"I had no RESPECT for the world champ"

lmaooo this is great
HaydelHammer
guy sounds like he's twelve years old
The CEO
Mission Accomplished.

couldn't come at a better time too...makes perfect room for the forthcoming "Khan is KRAP!" Caravan...
HaydelHammer
QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Apr 16 2011, 11:37 PM) *
"I had no RESPECT for the world champ"

lmaooo this is great

yeah that was cold. LMAO
Mean Mister Mustard
Ortiz sounds like he's out of it.
HaydelHammer
in there looking like a mini john ruiz
Big Slim Sweet
The Berto bash bus has reached the station.
caneman
115=111 114-112 X2
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 17 2011, 04:40 AM) *
115=111 114-112 X2

Thank you Caneman!!!
KookedKrack
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 16 2011, 11:40 PM) *

smile_anim.gif Another one bites the dust.

Pac Man you are next. mad.gif
TheFonz
And I say again...................Berto Sucks!!!!!!!!!
HaydelHammer
We got one or two "OH MY GOD" from manny tonight?

LMAO. He kills me with that sh*t.
Nay_Sayer
Larry Merchant sounds like an Alchie...
KookedKrack
QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Apr 16 2011, 11:43 PM) *
We got one or two "OH MY GOD" from manny tonight?

LMAO. He kills me with that sh*t.

Yeah I know one for certain when Ortiz got up from the knockdown and dropped him.
mexi-cutioner
I hated on both guys and said Malignaggi could beat both. I deserve to get beaten and gang raped.
KookedKrack
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 16 2011, 11:46 PM) *
I hated on both guys and said Malignaggi could beat both. I deserve to get beaten and gang raped.

and you are a Khan supporter.
BigG
What a fight...Ortiz fought very well. Scored it 9 rounds Ortiz 2 Berto 1 Even
Box in Hand
Bert'os defense looked like Kirkland's. He slept on Ortiz thinking Ortiz was a coward and got what he deserved. I voted for Berto to win but Ortiz proved me wrong. I do think however that Ortiz will not be champ for long since his defense is suspect as well and he doesn't use a jab.
kidbazooka1
Wow this is boxing at it's best.

Ortiz is f*cking back he redeemded himself big time tonight. Hellevua fight.

Berto deserves big props too he was hurt throuhgout the whole fight but never stopped trying. Ortiz was on top of his game that hook thah he dropped berto with after being badly hurt was epic type sh*t.

Ortiz finally looked like the fighter he was build up to be he kept coming and i do believe that cutting down to 140lb was hurting him he'll be a big time force at 147lb.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ Apr 16 2011, 11:46 PM) *
I deserve to get beaten and gang raped.

Yes you do. thumbsup_anim.gif
The CEO
Lots of good posts...but I selected these to explain and showcase our successful agenda...lol

QUOTE (KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN @ Apr 16 2011, 10:53 PM) *
And now that bitch is starting to hold. I really hope Ortiz can ko him. Both guys are landing huge shots in there. Everytime Ortiz lands somthing clean, it seems like Berto is stunned badly.

QUOTE (KookedKrack @ Apr 16 2011, 10:54 PM) *
of course the fucking holding the reason I joined the bash bus

QUOTE (HaydelHammer @ Apr 16 2011, 10:56 PM) *
berto a mini pascal. lol

That's him alright.

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 16 2011, 11:02 PM) *
Does anyone have a stream?

I was watching on TV, or I would have given you one...

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 16 2011, 11:06 PM) *
Berto is just showing the skills of a champion tonight. making a round you were winning an even round is the perfect strategy.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 16 2011, 11:20 PM) *
Berto you little bitch

Exactly...bitches can have Heart too...

QUOTE (lloyd mayflower @ Apr 16 2011, 11:24 PM) *
Appreciate you guys are watchin the fight and hopefully drunk, but could someone put a bit more info in their posts for me, i'm at work and cant watch. Just what round we're in, whose winning rounds etc. Cheers lads.

Sorry, Lloyd...I think we were all into it so much we couldn't elaborate...lol

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 16 2011, 11:33 PM) *
Ortiz got my respect tonight but staying in it or not i still don't like Berto. overhyped, overpaid and with different opposition he wouldn't have held onto a title this long.

You have great taste and judgement here....not liking him and knowing where he really stood.

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 16 2011, 11:40 PM) *

TSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Congratulations to all those who came together to seal Berto's fate...

We did it again, boys.

thumbsup_anim.gif

PS~ I just heard a roar on the TV from the other room...wonder what's goin' on with that...
BGv2.0
WOW....what a great fight!!!!

THIS IS WHAT RESTORES WHAT LITTLE FAITH I HAVE IN THE SPORT!!!

Two great fighters giving it their all.....no crazy shananigans....excellent judging.....

this is what the sport is all about....too bad we don't always see it as much anymore.
Cheesey1
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Apr 16 2011, 10:57 PM) *
Wow this is boxing at it's best.

Ortiz is f*cking back he redeemded himself big time tonight. Hellevua fight.

Berto deserves big props too he was hurt throuhgout the whole fight but never stopped trying. Ortiz was on top of his game that hook thah he dropped berto with after being badly hurt was epic type sh*t.

Ortiz finally looked like the fighter he was build up to be he kept coming and i do believe that cutting down to 140lb was hurting him he'll be a big time force at 147lb.

Agreed. Good performance by both boxers. Ortiz definitely deserved to win, but Berto shouldn't be ashamed of anything. He should be disappointed in knowing that he could've been more active, but then again Ortiz was keeping up the pressure. Congrats to both, especially to Ortiz.
happygocampy
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH! Justice hath been served!
Jack 1000
Going in I thought "Please KO Mark Breland #2" (Berto) But both fighters had a shit of huge balls tonight. This was a wonderful fight! I wish that the MMA people who bash boxing could see fights like this and Maidana-Morales!

BTW I stopped scoring about half-way through and just enjoyed the action. Mike Ortega was much too intrusive in there. It was like Berto's body language was asking Ortega to take the point from Ortiz and he did. I also believe that he missed a knockdown in the first, but it came fast so it was hard to tell.

Jack
Imperius3
I had a lot of doubts about Ortiz's mentality, especially after the Maidana and Peterson debacles, but he totally redeemed himself tonight. For him to drop Berto right after getting dropped himself showed that not only does he have heart, but he has what it takes to be a true champion.

The first six rounds of the fight were sensational too. After that, Berto fought to survive and spoiled the fight by holding way too much. That ruined this fight from being FOTY for me. It was still very good though, and I hope to see Ortiz take on the best from here on out. A rematch with Maidana would be interesting too...
Fitz
I caught this fight from round 8 onwards. I know I missed that great round where they both get dropped (should catch the whole fight in the next day or so), and I saw people were calling this FOTY and so on, but from round 8 onwards, the fight was just ok for me. Nothing great, and kind of ugly. Berto looking for one shot, and struggling to land clean and Khan just landing clean shots.
Was the fight really that good from rounds 1-7? From 8 onwards, the fight was nothing special. Just a pretty decent fight. So not sure if I missed some major war for rounds 1-7 or not, but 8-12 certainly didn't look like a FOTY type fight, but I will wait and see. I missed 2/3 of the fight.
I never minded Berto, he isn't great, but I didn't mind him, but he looked like absolute junk.
I see similarities and why people call him a mini Pascal, but I would call him a poor mans version of mini Pascal, not just mini Pascal, haha.
neophyte7
Berto asked the ref to take a point when he got grazed in the back of the head.... that shows me what he really has inside of him. Don't look for him to rebound. He has been exposed. He was rocked by a guy who was fighting at 147 for the first time. I don't believe Berto belongs at 147 and should go to 140. Someone called him a mini PASCAL and I agree. Both have monkey built upper bodies and they tire and gas easily... poor stamina and quite chinny. Mayweather would have a field day on Berto LMAO -- I see why Berto did not go near Mosley... he would have had a KO loss prior to last night's ass kicking!!!
salvador
Amazing fight! Both guys took huge shots and kept coming.

But I can't get over Ortiz. Never would have guessed he had it in him. And I never would have guessed he could have lasted 12 rounds at that pace. Maybe, as some on this board (not me) pointed out before the fight, 147 really is a much better weight for him.

There's no other sport where this kind of profound redemption is possible.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 17 2011, 06:03 AM) *
I caught this fight from round 8 onwards. I know I missed that great round where they both get dropped (should catch the whole fight in the next day or so), and I saw people were calling this FOTY and so on, but from round 8 onwards, the fight was just ok for me. Nothing great, and kind of ugly. Berto looking for one shot, and struggling to land clean and Khan just landing clean shots.
Was the fight really that good from rounds 1-7? From 8 onwards, the fight was nothing special. Just a pretty decent fight. So not sure if I missed some major war for rounds 1-7 or not, but 8-12 certainly didn't look like a FOTY type fight, but I will wait and see. I missed 2/3 of the fight.
I never minded Berto, he isn't great, but I didn't mind him, but he looked like absolute junk.
I see similarities and why people call him a mini Pascal, but I would call him a poor mans version of mini Pascal, not just mini Pascal, haha.

Fita, definitely, the first 6 rounds of this fight were all-out.

Ortiz it seems was clearly hurting himself getting down to 140. Very interested to see what's next for him. I could easily see Ortiz-Maidana 2 being made now and would be all for it. Ortiz redeemed himself tonight from a balls standpoint but still needs to avenge that embarrassing loss.
KookedKrack
Does anyone has the prefight stuff? the HBO announcers said that Ortiz was giving Berto Tyson quotes during them.

edit found it

Victor Ortiz: “Preparations have been as I anticipated: nothing easy about camp. Mike Tyson once said, ‘Everyone has a plan until he gets hit.’ Everyone says he’s powerful, well, so am I. He’s speedy, so am I. I’m taking that green belt at the end of the day. I’m going to do whatever it takes to bring that belt home with me. I know where I’m going, I know what I want. I don’t just want to be, but I must be champion of the world. Berto has been touted as being the next big thing. I completely disagree. I’m just trying to dare to be great. Berto was the only one to give me a shot, and I just want my belt. I’m going to be crowned no matter what.”
Lil-lightsout
Great great fight! I enjoyed it so much. It is a shame Fitz you joined in too late while it was live.

IMO Ortiz has redeemed himself. That dude showed big heart in there and came to win. He took tat HUGE right from Berto and got up and never gave up. I can not believe he did not get KO'd in that round, and then he even dropped Berto at the end of the same round. I think Ortiz needs to learn to hold when hurt, he is very lucky Berto didn't land one more monster shot.

I rarely believe the BS fighter say after or before fights, BUT for some reason I DO believe Andre when he said he didn't feel right. He didn't look all there mentally, but maybe it was that 1st round KD that did it too.

Either way both fighters showed big balls and reminded me why I love boxing so much.
Snoop
Just finished watching the fight. Nice bout. Didn't think it was as epic as people were making it out to be, but I imagine it to be much more exciting live. Ortiz redeemed himself in my eyes. Berto holds way too fucking much.
Jack 1000
I thought those first 6 rounds were FOTY and round 6, one of the great rounds! There was some Corrales-Castilo I in that 6th round!!!

From 8-12 the fight was more or less above average. Berto held too much, in fact both looked exhausted. I will say that this was the best 6 round fight seen in some time though!

Jack
kidbazooka1
Im thinking GBP is gonna look for a maidana rematch so Ortiz can erase that lose and then get back in with the big names. with a few more wins Victor will be huge and pick up right where he left off befoer loseing to maidana.

I don't think it would be wise for berto to get back in with ortiz right away it will turne out like another Mosley/Forrest.
salvador
QUOTE (kidbazooka1 @ Apr 17 2011, 04:37 PM) *
Im thinking GBP is gonna look for a maidana rematch so Ortiz can erase that lose and then get back in with the big names. with a few more wins Victor will be huge and pick up right where he left off befoer loseing to maidana.

I don't think it would be wise for berto to get back in with ortiz right away it will turne out like another Mosley/Forrest.

I agree that Ortiz-Maidana seems like the most obvious fight for both Maidana and Ortiz right now, but I think you're wrong about Berto Ortiz 2. I think if Berto got back in the ring with Ortiz he'd do a lot more boxing. If Berto hadn't been rocked in the first round, that fight could have very easily gone the other way.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 17 2011, 03:02 PM) *
Great great fight! I enjoyed it so much. It is a shame Fitz you joined in too late while it was live.

IMO Ortiz has redeemed himself. That dude showed big heart in there and came to win. He took tat HUGE right from Berto and got up and never gave up. I can not believe he did not get KO'd in that round, and then he even dropped Berto at the end of the same round. I think Ortiz needs to learn to hold when hurt, he is very lucky Berto didn't land one more monster shot.

I rarely believe the BS fighter say after or before fights, BUT for some reason I DO believe Andre when he said he didn't feel right. He didn't look all there mentally, but maybe it was that 1st round KD that did it too.

Either way both fighters showed big balls and reminded me why I love boxing so much.

i think it's because he thought he was about to have another Freddy Hernandez but he got his title taken away. it's like when you beat someone in Madden and they start making a bunch of excuses but wouldn't have said anything if they won. i guess controllers are only messed up when people start losing.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE (salvador @ Apr 17 2011, 04:47 PM) *
I agree that Ortiz-Maidana seems like the most obvious fight for both Maidana and Ortiz right now, but I think you're wrong about Berto Ortiz 2. I think if Berto got back in the ring with Ortiz he'd do a lot more boxing. If Berto hadn't been rocked in the first round, that fight could have very easily gone the other way.

Berto has never been the type of fighter to just box you he likes to trade and against fighters like Ortiz who can crack thats bad news for Berto.

Like i said If they rematch i see it being another Mosley/Forrest and Mosley/Wright type situation for him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.