Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Why is HBO Even Bothering With Chavez Jr. Zibik in June?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
The criticisms of this fight have been dutifully noted by the public and press for many months. From the WBC making Sergio Martinez an Emeritus Champion just to pave the way for Julio's kid to get a title shot against the potential game, but not a puncher Zbik.

Is this a fight were one could say, "The fix is in" for Chavez Jr. to win? No matter what happens, the prognosis is that Zbik could win every round and the best he gets is a draw? Zibik is going to have to KO Chavez Jr. to win. Moving the fight from Mexico to California is not going to make that much of a difference. The huge LA Latin-American, Hispanic contingency will be out in full force to support Chavez Jr. Sure, he's a crowd pleaser, However, the real boxing fans know that the real Middleweight Champion of the World is King Sergio Martinez who will damn near murder Chavez Jr.

Just for insurance the WBC could resurrect Dalby Shirley and Gale Van Hoy as judges. But that won't be necessary. The point being, why televise something with an obvious forgone conclusion? There's no way that Sebastian is going to win this thing barring a KO and let's say he shocks everyone and unofficially wins something like 116-112 with good boxing, and Chavez walks away with the inevitable win around 115-113 on all cards, just because it's Julio's kid.

This is even worse than the accusations around the Net that Joshua Clottey was bribed to look bad for Pacquiao. Boxing is going so well with the classic fights that we have had with Morales-Maidana, and Ortiz-Berto, great action fights with very fair and impartial judging in many fights exciting fights.

Is it wrong to televise a fight that has such a strong possibility of being a robbery before the bell even rings?

Jack
gravytrain
i think a big aspect of it is this fight was HBO's lips on Arum's ass when he took his talent to Showtime.

i don't see this as a question as whether or not it's wrong to televise bullshit like this, it's why the boxing fan puts up with this shit.
Big Slim Sweet
What's shit is that HBO refused to air a Martinez fight with Zbik when Zbik was his mandatory, forcing Martinez to give up his belt and paving the way for Julio Junior to get a shot at that same belt and then choosing to show that fight instead. This coming after Martinez had his breakout year in 2010 beating Pavlik and clobbering Williams.
TheFonz
HBO boxing sucks and they are as much at fault as Arum and GBP for the current state of boxing. I almost want boxing to completely fall off the map for few years so it can rebuild itself from the ground up.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 19 2011, 06:14 AM) *
What's shit is that HBO refused to air a Martinez fight with Zbik when Zbik was his mandatory, forcing Martinez to give up his belt and paving the way for Julio Junior to get a shot at that same belt and then choosing to show that fight instead. This coming after Martinez had his breakout year in 2010 beating Pavlik and clobbering Williams.

Princess JCC jr must be Queen!

Old school Mexican boxing enthusiasts must be enraged.

QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 19 2011, 06:39 AM) *
HBO boxing sucks and they are as much at fault as Arum and GBP for the current state of boxing. I almost want boxing to completely fall off the map for few years so it can rebuild itself from the ground up.

I agree that HBO sucks, but they do not compare to The Organ Grinder at sucking, IMO.
D-MARV
Mark my words right now!

Manny Pacquiao Vs Chavez Jr for the MIDDLEWEIGHT championship of the world @ 155!
gravytrain
it wouldn't surprise me to see Pac go up to 155 for a MW title. probably while having a sprained ankle, horrible training camp, Roach doing cocaine off of strippers asses instead of training him and Pac being too busy with politics. they'll need to pull out all the stops for this shitty fight.

i think networks wouldn't be as bad if they could sign fighters. right now they pretty much have to cut as many deals as possible to get the fights they want. just like HBO wants Arum's fighters back on their network so they'll probably have to give Pac more money, let him have the reigns on PPVs, and gave him Chavez Jr vs Zbik.
JONdaCON817
I really cant stand JCC jr... someone, anyone. whether its Pac, Mayweather, Martinez, Zbik, whoever... plz KO this guy.
Jack 1000
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 19 2011, 08:14 AM) *

I remember this! Good call.

Jack
Tha Docta
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Apr 19 2011, 09:14 AM) *

everyone knows there are plenty of fighters more deserving of this date on HBO. but lets not kid ourselves into thinking that martinez is a bigger draw than Junior. at least junior puts asses in the seats. i do however, hope to witness his near decapitation in the ring someday.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE (D-MARV @ Apr 19 2011, 10:39 AM) *
Mark my words right now!

Manny Pacquiao Vs Chavez Jr for the MIDDLEWEIGHT championship of the world @ 155!

Not an outrageous statement at all.
Lil-lightsout
I want to see this way overhyped kid get stretched real soon.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 19 2011, 02:52 PM) *
Roach doing cocaine off of strippers asses instead of training him and Pac being too busy with politics.

Not sure I'd want to see that. Poor Freddy with his shakes that coke would be going everywhere!
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 20 2011, 02:51 AM) *
Not sure I'd want to see that. Poor Freddy with his shakes that coke would be going everywhere!

LOL. TRUE!...ya jerk
mexi-cutioner
I hope Chavez Jr. loses simply cus I hate Bob Arum and it felt good to seee Juan Manuel Lopez, a fighter hes been protecting dearly from Gamboa, suffer his first loss to a fighter with 11 of them
TheFonz
Chavez Jr needs a hate vehicle.
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 20 2011, 05:36 AM) *
Chavez Jr needs a hate vehicle.

Princess Julio already has a parade float, don't s/he?
gravytrain
QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Apr 20 2011, 05:51 AM) *

i'm sure that for 30% of the coke a promoter can match him up with pure Bolivian, a trainer can get him ready for 15% of it, a manager can schedule his coke party for a nice %, and a cutman can prevent any nose bleeds for 3%.

or he can just go by Home Depot and get a Mexican to just funnel it into his nostrils for $5 if he doesn't want to stay true to boxing.
Jack 1000
So how do you think HBO will commentate this fight?

Will they pop-pom Chavez Jr? On the assumption that the powers that be, (Davis and Greenberg) want to get Arum, who promotes Chavez Jr. back on HBO's good side after losing Pacquiao to Showtime?

Or will they bash the WBC for sanctioning this as a world title fight like they did with Alverez-Matthew Hatton?

Or will the commentary be mixed? If it is mixed depending on who is doing the commentary, I could see:

Lamply=Will do a big 20 minute soliloquy on Chavez Sr. and the son of a legendary fighting for his first title. Jim loves to taste the networks cool water and feel the ocean breezes for the house fighter that HBO promotes. However, when a fight is thrilling, he is still the best commentator.

Kellerman= Might go on a rant about how bad the Chavez-Whitaker decision was, and would likely portray this fight as a farce.

Papa= Don't know how he will take it. But would probably go in whatever direction the consensus goes with this fight.

Merchant= Will almost bash it for sure. He calls it like it is and has no reason not to do that. That is, if he is sober enough by air time to know what is going on! Larry has REALLY slowed down!

Jack
Mean Mister Mustard
Everyone is correct when they say that this fight is only being aired on HBO because the network wants to get back in Arum's good graces after he took his ball (in this case his best ball) and left for Showtime.

But Jack, you said that JCC jr is a crowd pleaser. Maybe in the sense that he has fans but I only remember a couple of fights in which he has been mildly entertaining. Most of the time he just averages about 27 punches a round and coasts against inferior opposition. He has good technique but he's no dazzler, and we have all heard about his dislike for hard training. I've never seen Zibik fight but if he's any good, he should beat Junior.
Jack 1000
But you know Chavez-Zibik has all the makings of Zibik getting a little cut or some shit, and let's say he's actually winning in the eyes of everyone but the judges. The doctor will stop the fight like Zibik's got some threatening blindness injury against Sebastian's protests and they will go to the scorecards with Chavez Jr. getting the win on a technical decision with Jose Sulaiman beaming from ear to ear with him on one side and Arum on the other, while Lamply, Papa, Merchant, or Kellerman, whoever's doing it expresses their disgust.

I'm DVRing it, but I am only recording it off the SD channel. This fight is does not deserve to be shown in HD quality!

I wish I was wrong about all of this and that the referee and judging will be fair and impartial, but given even the way Top Rank is promoting this, "The Son Also Rises" has it really set a precedent on paper that the only way Sebastian wins is by KO?

Jack
kidbazooka1
From what i've seen of Zbik this will be a tough fight for Chavez to win.

Zbik has good boxing skills and speed Chavez will have to outwork him from the begining IMO to win this.
flip
I'd like to see the fight with Cotto, Martinez, or Alfonso Gomez
SmartyBeardo
The fact is that SMartinez was gonna fight him. That suggests that he could be a very tough W for Princess Julio.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.