Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pascal is favored?!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Imperius3
Found these odds for Hopkins-Pascal II:

Pascal -165
Hopkins +125

I'm not complaining, but I don't understand what the oddsmakers are thinking here. I personally had Hopkins winning 9-3 in the first fight, and I think most people had Hopkins winning clearly. I guess the age of Hopkins will always be taken into account, but I certainly look forward to watching Hopkins take Pascal to school again and making some money along the way.
Snoop
I love it. Hopkins always makes me money.
Lil-lightsout
Pascal dropped him twice and it is in his hometown yet again, and Hopkins has got to get old over night one of these days. This might be the night.
Imperius3
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 20 2011, 03:32 AM) *
Pascal dropped him twice and it is in his hometown yet again, and Hopkins has got to get old over night one of these days. This might be the night.

Hopkins has one of the best boxing minds in the game, and he figured Pascal out after 3 rounds. I guarantee you Hopkins doesn't get "dropped" again. I'm more interested to see if Pascal has recovered mentally from the last fight because I think deep down he knows he lost. Pascal will fight the same, and he will fade late again.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Apr 20 2011, 09:32 AM) *

Agree with this. Lets not forget BHop gets a second chance to convince the judges, but the much younger man is getting a second shot at redemption. BHop pulled out a pretty special performance last time round, but performances like that are special cos they dont happen everytime.

Its the same situation as Morales v Maidana. The old lion took the young lion to school, but its not inconceivable for a rematch between those two to result in a brutal KO that many expected first time round.

I will say that BHop getting the win is a lot more likely than what I think Morales would be. I dont doubt that Pascal has been mentally damaged by the events of the first fight.
gravytrain
QUOTE (Imperius3 @ Apr 20 2011, 02:52 AM) *
Found these odds for Hopkins-Pascal II:

Pascal -165
Hopkins +125

I'm not complaining, but I don't understand what the oddsmakers are thinking here. I personally had Hopkins winning 9-3 in the first fight, and I think most people had Hopkins winning clearly. I guess the age of Hopkins will always be taken into account, but I certainly look forward to watching Hopkins take Pascal to school again and making some money along the way.

i think they're going by the judges scorecards and not unofficial cards. they're all that matters. the odds are closer this time though so they respect Hopkins more, it's just about impossible to think he's going to be the favorite though.
SmartyBeardo
Pascal should be favored. Everything stacked in his favor once more.

No lose situation once more for BHop.
Big Slim Sweet
Perhaps the odds makers are taking into consideration the location of the fight once again.
JD
Those odds are not surprising at all when you consider Hopkins age, the location of the fight, the fact that Hopkins was dropped twice, and most importantly - the likely backing from Pascal's fanbase.
D-MARV
I actually agree with these odds. The fact that Pascal is fighting in his backyard once again is huge.
neophyte7
Pascal is limited. He has occasional explosive quickness, yet his monkey type upper body and poor relaxation betrays his suspect stamina. He really is limited aside from his quickness that only seems relevant early. After the first few rounds of the first bout Hops seemed faster of hand and was hitting Pascal at will.. Honestly.. Pascal got pounded and people seem to underestimate what Hops not only took out him mentally but physically as well. There were a few times when it looked as if this guy was almost out on his feet against Hopkins after eating right hands. LMAO at Pascal bringing up steroids.. He actually reveals that he is in awe and disbelief that a 46 year old got up and whipped his ass. He is scared shitless. If he loses, especially in dominant fashion his career may be FINITO --- no fighter is the same after a Hopkins whipping mentally or physically... Sergundo Mercado, Joe Lipsey Robert Allen, John David Jackson, TITO, Kelly Pavlik, Keith Holmes, Antwun Echols, Jermain Taylor, Car Daniels,... LMAO... I am banking on Hopkins beating Pascal and mentally raping him to the point his career will be FINITO
SENTRAL
I've got $500 on Pascal. crazy.gif
caneman
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Apr 23 2011, 01:04 PM) *

Poor thing, I am sorry girl!
SmartyBeardo
QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 23 2011, 12:11 PM) *
Poor thing, I am sorry girl!

Where theee fuck did you find that emoticon, caneman? That is just fuckin hilariously disturbing (and horrifically crude). scare.gif
caneman
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Apr 23 2011, 11:20 PM) *
Where theee fuck did you find that emoticon, caneman? That is just fuckin hilariously disturbing (and horrifically crude). scare.gif

I forget but I laughed when I seen it and kept it! Never know when a bitch might need a facial! rolleyes_anim.gif
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Apr 23 2011, 01:04 PM) *

Seriously are you born in Canada or got Canadian parents? Whats the deal with these damn Canadians? You've never explained it. Maybe it's also time to take that pic of Lemeiux down a as well. Remove Bute down while your at it and replace them with 2 more action shots of Gamboa, that sounds about right.

Good on you for having the stones to admit this bet on these boards but if there is one thing you should never do in boxing it's to bet against Pop Hopkins. That shit should be written into law somewhere. What kinda odds you get?

I'm sure you'll enjoy the fight.................hidden behind your sofa with your hands covering your eyes, praying for some Canuck home cooking. focus.gif
TheFonz
This fight will be a carbon copy of the first fight with Pascal doing slightly better down the stretch, earning him another controversial decision ober B-Hop.
neophyte7
A carbon copy??? I don't think so... Pascal will try not do better down the stretch.. his fear will have drained a great deal of his poor stamina before the bell rings... His mind is not strong enough to win this match. Honestly, Pascal only won the rounds he scored knockdowns in the first fight.. The first knockdown was fluke back of the head shot.. the second shot was weird landing on the shoulder area... Hopkins was not hurt at all... Funny how even in his forty's Hopkins after a few rounds looks faster of hand than his opponents. Pascal has explosive quickness early only... He looks like a poor mans Roy Jones, yet Jones had explosiveness from opening bell to the end.. As the fight goes on Pascal is more vulnerable and slows-- looks sloppy in there--- easy to hit. This was evident when he fought Dawson who even though he had a lackluster performance looked en route to stopping the chinny Pascal.
TheFonz
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 25 2011, 08:27 AM) *
A carbon copy??? I don't think so... Pascal will try not do better down the stretch.. his fear will have drained a great deal of his poor stamina before the bell rings... His mind is not strong enough to win this match. Honestly, Pascal only won the rounds he scored knockdowns in the first fight.. The first knockdown was fluke back of the head shot.. the second shot was weird landing on the shoulder area... Hopkins was not hurt at all... Funny how even in his forty's Hopkins after a few rounds looks faster of hand than his opponents. Pascal has explosive quickness early only... He looks like a poor mans Roy Jones, yet Jones had explosiveness from opening bell to the end.. As the fight goes on Pascal is more vulnerable and slows-- looks sloppy in there--- easy to hit. This was evident when he fought Dawson who even though he had a lackluster performance looked en route to stopping the chinny Pascal.

There will be "fluke" knockdowns early again.
lloyd mayflower
QUOTE (SENTRAL @ Apr 23 2011, 07:04 PM) *

Don't think thats as bad a bet as some here are making out. Have to give u credit for having the balls tho, $500 is a lot to bet either way after their first fight. Enough to give me a nosebleed anyway!
neophyte7
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 25 2011, 08:44 AM) *
There will be "fluke" knockdowns early again.

With Hopkins being a master and having studied up on the first fight.. how are you so sure??? elaborate a bit... I know, I know... age right---
TheFonz
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 25 2011, 11:05 AM) *
With Hopkins being a master and having studied up on the first fight.. how are you so sure??? elaborate a bit... I know, I know... age right---

B-Hop doesn't have the reflexes nor the physicality to keep Pascal from imposing his will when the kid is fresh. He will work himself back in the fight once Pascal starts to gas, the only difference is that Pascal won't blow his load so early this time.
gravytrain
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 25 2011, 01:21 PM) *
B-Hop doesn't have the reflexes nor the physicality to keep Pascal from imposing his will when the kid is fresh. He will work himself back in the fight once Pascal starts to gas, the only difference is that Pascal won't blow his load so early this time.

lol. how did he blow his load early? dude got schooled by Hopkins plain and simple
neophyte7
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 25 2011, 03:33 PM) *
lol. how did he blow his load early? dude got schooled by Hopkins plain and simple

Exactly... It was Hopkins underestimation of the speed and explosiveness of Pascal that got him caught... he will not do the same here. Pascal is going to graduate to the second grade after this fight because I see him being taken to school again...
gravytrain
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Apr 25 2011, 03:37 PM) *
Exactly... It was Hopkins underestimation of the speed and explosiveness of Pascal that got him caught... he will not do the same here. Pascal is going to graduate to the second grade after this fight because I see him being taken to school again...

i agree with you on that one. and once Hopkins got adjusted to Pascal i'd him winning every round, i think my card had him up 9-3. Pascal just isn't going to bring anything new to the table and Hopkins had the tools to beat him last time, this time i think he's more cautious and doesn't give up anything. Pascal won that fight in my opinion because of the KDs and a 12th with Hopkins trying to end it since he was on foreign soil, if Hopkins just plays chess with him he's going to be losing by a few rounds at home and maybe even shutout anywhere else.

TheFonz
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 25 2011, 05:38 PM) *
i agree with you on that one. and once Hopkins got adjusted to Pascal i'd him winning every round, i think my card had him up 9-3. Pascal just isn't going to bring anything new to the table and Hopkins had the tools to beat him last time, this time i think he's more cautious and doesn't give up anything. Pascal won that fight in my opinion because of the KDs and a 12th with Hopkins trying to end it since he was on foreign soil, if Hopkins just plays chess with him he's going to be losing by a few rounds at home and maybe even shutout anywhere else.

Thats where disagree with both of you. I think it had more to do with Pascal gassing than Hop adjusting.
gravytrain
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 25 2011, 06:55 PM) *
Thats where disagree with both of you. I think it had more to do with Pascal gassing than Hop adjusting.

what did he do to wear himself out in those 3 rounds? he only threw a combined 76 punches. a big reason he got 2 of those rounds was because he scored KDs. i think it makes a lot more sense that Hopkins adjusted to him than Pascal running out of gas because Pascal kept fighting the same fight and averaging the same 20-30 punches per round. the difference was Hopkins didn't leave himself open and wasn't trying to fight him, from 3 on he boxed him every minute of every round up until round 12 where he was more aggressive. that's a big change from a Pascal who averaged 30-40 punches against Dawson, the opportunities to throw weren't there.

if 3 rounds with this version of Hopkins killed your stamina then you didn't take the fight too seriously and didn't train hard because that shit is ridiculous.
caneman
I have to say this, win (which I think BHop will) or not, it is amazing to see a fighter of 46 fight @ such a high and elite level! I mean being able to do it @ HW right now wouldn't appear to be so hard but to do it vs top guys who are 20 years younger is freaking insane! I say we might never see this again in our lifetime @ least not in mine. I think the old man will do it again! WAR HOPKINS!!! Hopkins wins 117-111
TheFonz
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 25 2011, 07:16 PM) *
what did he do to wear himself out in those 3 rounds? he only threw a combined 76 punches. a big reason he got 2 of those rounds was because he scored KDs. i think it makes a lot more sense that Hopkins adjusted to him than Pascal running out of gas because Pascal kept fighting the same fight and averaging the same 20-30 punches per round. the difference was Hopkins didn't leave himself open and wasn't trying to fight him, from 3 on he boxed him every minute of every round up until round 12 where he was more aggressive. that's a big change from a Pascal who averaged 30-40 punches against Dawson, the opportunities to throw weren't there.

if 3 rounds with this version of Hopkins killed your stamina then you didn't take the fight too seriously and didn't train hard because that shit is ridiculous.

HE GETS WINDED AFTER 3 ROUNDS OF EVERY FIGHT!
TheFonz
QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 25 2011, 07:42 PM) *
I have to say this, win (which I think BHop will) or not, it is amazing to see a fighter of 46 fight @ such a high and elite level! I mean being able to do it @ HW right now wouldn't appear to be so hard but to do it vs top guys who are 20 years younger is freaking insane! I say we might never see this again in our lifetime @ least not in mine. I think the old man will do it again! WAR HOPKINS!!! Hopkins wins 117-111

I think he will "win" but I don't think he will get the decision, just like the last time.
caneman
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 25 2011, 07:10 PM) *
I think he will "win" but I don't think he will get the decision, just like the last time.

He will leave no doubt this time! Without the KD's he won that fight even on their cards !
gravytrain
QUOTE (TheFonz @ Apr 25 2011, 08:08 PM) *
HE GETS WINDED AFTER 3 ROUNDS OF EVERY FIGHT!

why did he average about 10 punches less per round against Hopkins than in previous fights?
Mean Mister Mustard
Check out this article and try not to laugh as you read it.

http://boxingworldtitlepreview.weebly.com/...rd-hopkins.html

The current WBC Light Heavyweight champion Jean Pascal, is one of the finest specimens in the world of boxing today (just look to the side) and is a man who takes on all comers. If you run through his record you'll see he fought (and was unlucky not to beat) Carl Froch, prior to that he had taken the 0 of Jermain Mackey and since the Froch fight he has faced a number of top fighters. Included on the ever growing resume of Canada's finest are Adrian Diaconu, twice (who was unbeaten the first time), Chad Dawson (who was unbeaten) and most recently a draw with Borenard Hopkins.

The draw with Poppa Hopkins late last year was seen as one of the most controversial results of 2010, my boy dropping the greying American twice early then cruising to what, to me felt like a landslide result. The knockdowns in the 1st and 3rd round said it all, Hopkins' punch resistance had gone with old age, the old codger had claimed he had been caught by a rabbit punch though it was just one of his tricks. Lets not forget this was the man who had cried foul against Joe Calzaghe to buy himself time.

Whilst the punch stats from compubox told one story. A story in which Hopkins dominated the fight landing 153 punches to Pascals 86 and throwing over 500 shots to Pascal's 350, the honest result was that Hopkins was lucky, the judging was atrocious and Pascal had easily won the fight, I had it by a few points myself. Hopkins landed pity patty punches late in the fight, including an apparent 45 in the final 2 rounds though as is often the problem with compubox the figures are just unreliable. Apparently Pascal landed JUST 5 punches in both round 1 and round 3 which would be saying they were easily the best shots as they dropped Hopkins.

Although Hopkins had claimed he'd won the fight clearly and had given Pascal a “schooling” the old skool fight had been the one taught a lesson, a lesson in being knocked down. My boy had been the one giving out classes from the nu-skool. Now the two meet in a rematch to settle the score and to prove the youthful energy of Pascal is just simply too much for the aching bones and greying hair of Borenard.

5 months on from their first meeting the two clash, this time the fight is being staged in the Bell Centre (the first was in the Pepsi Coliseum) and this time Pascal will prove he's the master. In fact my guy has already proven he's the clever man. A pre-fight press conference almost erupted into a brawl when Pascal gave Bullynard some of his own mental medicine and demanded Hopkins took blood tests. Pascal had learned from one of the best and was copying the tactic of Floyd Mayweather, demand the blood tests and get into the head of the opponent. Hopkins was visibly riled by Pascal's incredibly fair demand and basically stormed off in a strop. Before they've even gotten into a ring Pascal has scored a hurtful blow to “The Executioner's” ego and cracked the ex-con mentally.

In the ring Pascal knows he hurt Hopkins every time he landed, he knows he can do that again. Hopkins is 5 months older and 5 months further away from his supposed “prime”, he's turned 46 and has been caught on telly wearing glasses. Whilst Hopkins is getting old and blind Pascal is just about to peak physically, and this is the major difference. Pascal has not only the speed, the firepower and stamina to beat Hopkins' but he has his sight, his natural hair colour and a memory of the first fight. Hopkins might not quite be senile yet but he'll end up that was after Jean ends his career and dreams. Hopkins to be stopped for the first time in his career with in 9 one sided rounds.

Details:
The result of the fight will decide the WBC Diamond Belt holder at Light Heavyweight, as well as the WBC's world champion and will be fought on May 21st. The IBO belt will also be on the line (but no one really cares about that). The fight will be shown on HBO (unlike the first bout which was shown on rival network Showtime) and the referee will be Ian John-Lewis from England.

Preview courtesy of Small Pith.
gravytrain
lol is that shit serious? it almost seems like it's satire. unfortunately i think they're either Canadian or Sentral.
caneman
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 25 2011, 09:20 PM) *

That's some crazy shit right there! laugh.gif
kebark
QUOTE (Mean Mister Mustard @ Apr 26 2011, 03:20 AM) *

Small said his article had been featured on FightHype, I thought he was taking the piss. He's a bit of an odd one though does have a good seized and legit wager on Pascal by KO
FinitoElDinamita
I dont like the judges going into this bout. They're all neutral but they've been involved with alot of shady decisions and with the fight being in MOntreal, they just might want the belt kept in their backyard.
neophyte7
BHOP emphatically...
mexi-cutioner
Pascal should be favored cus hes gonna putting that haggard old man into a retirement home once it's all said and done.
WAR PASCAL!! WAR CANADA!!!
neophyte7
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ May 21 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Pascal should be favored cus hes gonna putting that haggard old man into a retirement home once it's all said and done.
WAR PASCAL!! WAR CANADA!!!

BOW DOWN TO HISTORY.. BHOP among the boxing Immortals.. Pascal got beaten soundly...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.