Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
RyanTical
How do you think, the now 34-year old, Floyd Mayweather would fair against the young phenom; Victor Ortiz?

Would the realization of fighting, whom I consider the #1 P4P Boxer in the World, Floyd Mayweather get to him on fight night?

Or do you think he would overcome the fear of going against top competition and give Mayweather a fight that most couldn't muster up?
gravytrain
i think it'd be a big mismatch. Mayweather is just on a completely different level and Ortiz isn't about to beat someone with the skills of Mayweather. he'd put on a show but i wouldn't be surprised to see him get shutout unless Mayweather got old overnight and i really doubt that.

leonthegee
10 rounds to 3, 9 to 2, or something like that. Typical floyd walking through ortiz like he walks through everybody else.
caneman
QUOTE (leonthegee @ Apr 25 2011, 05:21 PM) *
10 rounds to 3, 9 to 2, or something like that. Typical floyd walking through ortiz like he walks through everybody else.

so 13 round fight or 11 round fight?

laugh.gif

Floyd should handle him easily I would think!
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 25 2011, 06:29 PM) *

laugh.gif

Floyd should handle him easily I would think!

laugh.gif
gravytrain
i'm really wondering what kind of numbers Mayweather can pull these days. most casual fans i talk to really had their opinion on him change once ESPN sided with Pac, Pac has really been the only fighter getting exposure too. that and unless he comes back against Pac i could really see people keep saying he's too scared.
dominicbuilder9k1
QUOTE (RyanTical @ Apr 25 2011, 10:10 AM) *
How do you think, the now 34-year old, Floyd Mayweather would fair against the young phenom; Victor Ortiz?

Would the realization of fighting, whom I consider the #1 P4P Boxer in the World, Floyd Mayweather get to him on fight night?

Or do you think he would overcome the fear of going against top competition and give Mayweather a fight that most couldn't muster up?

I certainly will pick Floyd to win...but it surely will not be as exciting as Ortiz and Maldana 2... i mean, if you want to see an exciting fight then count Floyd out...he just is not a risk taker to make his boxing fans happy...the fans pay no bills for me says Floyd!...but I'm sure Ortiz will not win against Floyd...
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 25 2011, 06:29 PM) *

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
caneman
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 25 2011, 07:53 PM) *
i'm really wondering what kind of numbers Mayweather can pull these days. most casual fans i talk to really had their opinion on him change once ESPN sided with Pac, Pac has really been the only fighter getting exposure too. that and unless he comes back against Pac i could really see people keep saying he's too scared.

It's funny, while I don't think he can pull the numbers he thinks he can without the right dance partner, he can do more than I think for a few reasons! No matter what, he does have his die hard fans but he also made it where peeps hate him so much, that they will pay to see him lose as well. The other thing that MIGHT help is the fact he isn't active so more may tune in! No matter what, I believe Pacman vs Mayweather is the biggest fight in boxing history!!! I truly believe if they fought in Cowboy's stadium it could do 100k @ the gate alone! It's hard to say what PBF could do all by his self but I do know before DLH & Hatton, he was doing 300k to 350k in PPV buys! I truly wonder how much he really wants to fight anymore. You would think this fight has already been made & peeps can say that it's about a cut off on testing or it's Arum & Golden Boy can't do business but this fight could be made easy & personally I am starting to blame PBF more than Pacman! But hey, that's just me & I know many here won't agree with me!
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 26 2011, 10:42 AM) *
It's funny, while I don't think he can pull the numbers he thinks he can without the right dance partner, he can do more than I think for a few reasons! No matter what, he does have his die hard fans but he also made it where peeps hate him so much, that they will pay to see him lose as well. The other thing that MIGHT help is the fact he isn't active so more may tune in! No matter what, I believe Pacman vs Mayweather is the biggest fight in boxing history!!! I truly believe if they fought in Cowboy's stadium it could do 100k @ the gate alone! It's hard to say what PBF could do all by his self but I do know before DLH & Hatton, he was doing 300k to 350k in PPV buys! I truly wonder how much he really wants to fight anymore. You would think this fight has already been made & peeps can say that it's about a cut off on testing or it's Arum & Golden Boy can't do business but this fight could be made easy & personally I am starting to blame PBF more than Pacman! But hey, that's just me & I know many here won't agree with me!

well personally i can't see him fighting Martinez and most of the other fighters out there are kind of questionable or are signed with TR. would GBP really want Alvarez in the ring with him? i hope not because the golden ginger would get dominated. if he's not coming back against some people fans want to see then i could see him not breaking the million mark and if he isn't then Pac will legitimately have a lot more power in negotiations. i think if that happens then the fight is never going to happen.
caneman
QUOTE (gravytrain @ Apr 26 2011, 02:58 PM) *
well personally i can't see him fighting Martinez and most of the other fighters out there are kind of questionable or are signed with TR. would GBP really want Alvarez in the ring with him? i hope not because the golden ginger would get dominated. if he's not coming back against some people fans want to see then i could see him not breaking the million mark and if he isn't then Pac will legitimately have a lot more power in negotiations. i think if that happens then the fight is never going to happen.

FLOYD WOULD BE CRUSHED IF HE WASN'T CASH COW TOP DOG! HE MIGHT KILL HIMSELF BUT HIS EGO WON'T LISTEN!
gravytrain
QUOTE (caneman @ Apr 26 2011, 10:09 PM) *
FLOYD WOULD BE CRUSHED IF HE WASN'T CASH COW TOP DOG! HE MIGHT KILL HIMSELF BUT HIS EGO WON'T LISTEN!

Money May must not be too crushed talking about coming back against Spadafora and fighting 1 time a year lol.
caneman
lol, good for Floyd!
neophyte7
A FRIEND OF MINES SAID THIS BOUT IS inked for 9/17/2011... any one hear this???
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 9 2011, 12:41 PM) *
A FRIEND OF MINES SAID THIS BOUT IS inked for 9/17/2011... any one hear this???

I've been reading reports and looking into it, but the most confirmation i've gotten out of it is Ortiz saying the following in an interview:“I just need to look at the contract and make sure everything is OK. It’s not 100 percent sure yet, but that’s what I’m setting my sights on.”--the rest of that article is here: Mayweather set to fight Ortiz

Nonetheless, this is a VERY positive sign for the sport. Regardless of his inactivity,I feel a Mayweather return would definitely bring some excitement back into the sport and give casual fans another fight/fighter to look forward to aside from Pac. The Ortiz matchup is intriguing with him recently upsetting Berto to win the title and Mayweather coming offf lengthy legal battles and a year and a half worth of ring rust, Ortiz definitely has the momentum on his side coming in. I feel if Ortiz can once again come out like a man possessed like he did vs. Berto he can definitely make this fight more competitive than expected.
neophyte7
Agreed... he will put up a good scrap and will not be belittled in losing...
Imperius3
If the fight is a tuneup fight for Pacquiao, then I have no problem with it. A young aggressive southpaw like Ortiz is a good opponent to help prepare for Pacquiao. If Mayweather retires after this fight though, I will be severely disappointed.
Big Slim Sweet
Fuck Ortiz. If Floyd's coming back he needs to fight Manny, period. He doesn't need a tune up. He took 2 years off and toyed with Marquez and Mosley.

mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ May 9 2011, 02:18 PM) *
Fuck Ortiz. If Floyd's coming back he needs to fight Manny, period. He doesn't need a tune up. He took 2 years off and toyed with Marquez and Mosley.

As much as we all want it to happen it's just not realistic at this point. And besides, an Ortiz-Mayweather matchup isn't all that bad really, and while it isn't everyones dream mathcup, it won't hurt the sport either. I see most people on this forum and casual fans in general getting interested in this fight during the prefight buildup. Besides, i'm liking Ortiz' chances to do more damage than either Marquez or Mosley (besides that 2nd round) were able to do. The dude has all the confidence and momentum on his side after that HUGE potential FOTY upset over Berto, not to mention he's fought 4 times since Mayweather's last outing
The Original MrFactor
Ortiz is no young phenom. He's the 2nd coming of Fernando Vargas. Floyd is a much tougher guy than Berto. Ortiz beat Berto, but I never was big on Berto. Ortiz would get beaten soundly by Mayweather. I dont think Mayweather would stop Ortiz, but i do think that he beats him, maybe by close to a shutout.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 9 2011, 10:57 PM) *
PBF v Ortiz and Pac v Bradley beats holy hell outta what we have been seeing outta these little pricks for the last couple years. Ortiz and Bradley may be outta their depth but they are young, hungry gifted athletes, not old damaged thespians.

I dont think either fight would be competitive. Pac walsk through Bradley. Bradley's game falls right into Pac's hand. Pac is the stronger faster guy. Bradley's burden to bear is always gonna be his lack of power. Once Manny sees that his punches dont hurt, he's gonna crank it up and stop Bradley.

As a collective body of fans we should stop buying PPV's until we get the one we want. Mayweather vs Pacquiao is what we want. I aint buying another fight until we get that type of matchup.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.