Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mosley-Pac Advertising Spending
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
I have no idea of what the PPV numbers will be on this, but I'm starting to get a little shocked by the amount of money Showtime is spending advertising this fight that so many in the boxing world thinks is a nonevent. I have to admit, the only commercial tv I really watch is CNBC and a few other news channels (so maybe my impression is skewed by a new marketing strategy that focuses on a different demo than promoters usually target), but it seems as if there's an add for the fight every hour or two. I can't remember seeing this many adds since Floyd-Oscar.

I really do love how aggressive Showtime is being in trying to make sure Pac is happy with his new network.
JD
Keep in mind that CBS owns Showtime.
salvador
One critique: the add isn't very good.

It is informing the public of a fight with the assumption that the public just needs to be aware that these particular guys are fighting rather than having a boxing writer like Burt Sugar saying "two of the most aggressive, offensive-minded punchers of the last decade are going to collide and there's no way this goes 12 rounds!" - or something to that affect. But maybe the promoters assume that if someone doesn't know either of their names there's no chance that that person will buy the fight anyway. Who knows?

It's almost as if they made the add for FNF (where everyone would know both guys) and just decided to put it in the mainstream channels.
salvador
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 3 2011, 04:35 AM) *
They can beat this dog with a Chinese sperm collector and it still won't go off . . . anyone remember about 365 days ago?

No comparison.

I don't remember seeing nearly the amount of ads for Floyd-Mosley. As I said above, my commercial tv viewing is essentially limited to the news networks and I don't recall ever seeing any real deluge of ads for any boxing match except for DLH-Floyd. Maybe Showtime has decided to spend the same money they would normally spend but they have just allocated it in a different way for this fight.

JLUVBABY
i may be wrong but it kinda seems like it takes the die hard fans to help get the casual fans juices rolling to want to watch these fights... and truth is fans are growing tired of the pac game as well as the mayweather game... for pac its he isnt fighting the best available comp and mayweather just isnt fighting... ive seen all kinds of advertisement on dish network.. there is even a special channel dedicated to the fight... well there is a channel dedicated to all major ppv fights once the fight is within a week or so close.. but point is no one really gives mosley a chance and these manny fights are becoming side show attractions... of course this fight is going to sell but it will become increasingly interesting after this fight and lets say manny fights marquez later in the year how people react to who he chooses to fight... i have a hunch the excitement will start waning a little.. people only want to see easy fights for so long even from their hero...

maybe im in the minority on this but why dont pacs team just call mays bluff and except the test up till the fight and see what happens... its the only way they can say for sure mayweather is ducking if they accept unlimited testing and all of a sudden he still turns the fight down... thats my two cents on it all... neither guy have anything left to prove but to fight each other.. its the only fight they have that matters... martinez dont matter at this point or anyone else... they are forever linked... rather for a fight or a non fight but they are forever linked to each other now...
gravytrain
i don't think Pac really has to call any bluffs at this point J. i watch ESPN a lot and i think a lot of people get fight news from HBO and ESPN. it's like back when Pac and Margarito fought, my friends would always ask me about the fight and it was all shit from HBO and ESPN. people are just gonna go with what they get told most of the time. Pac talks about the issue every chance he gets for whatever reason and he says Mayweather is scared, some cats on ESPN said he was scared, and back when Mayweather didn't do anything when Arum was calling him out got a lot of people talking. Pac can pass on the fight completely and i think a lot of people wouldn't side with Mayweather on it. there was even a poll on ESPN for sportsnation and it asked who was the GOAT and had SRR, Joe Louis, Ali, and Marciano. Ali got like 12%, Louis 2%, Marciano barely anything and SRR was behind Pac by i think 5%. a lot of people have bought into the hype and since he puts on a show that's all the people are caring about.
King Eugene
QUOTE (gravytrain @ May 4 2011, 09:10 PM) *
i don't think Pac really has to call any bluffs at this point J. i watch ESPN a lot and i think a lot of people get fight news from HBO and ESPN. it's like back when Pac and Margarito fought, my friends would always ask me about the fight and it was all shit from HBO and ESPN. people are just gonna go with what they get told most of the time. Pac talks about the issue every chance he gets for whatever reason and he says Mayweather is scared, some cats on ESPN said he was scared, and back when Mayweather didn't do anything when Arum was calling him out got a lot of people talking. Pac can pass on the fight completely and i think a lot of people wouldn't side with Mayweather on it. there was even a poll on ESPN for sportsnation and it asked who was the GOAT and had SRR, Joe Louis, Ali, and Marciano. Ali got like 12%, Louis 2%, Marciano barely anything and SRR was behind Pac by i think 5%. a lot of people have bought into the hype and since he puts on a show that's all the people are caring about.

This use to frustrate the hell out of me when talking to "casual" fans. Its gotten to the point that if I'm not on the boards or actually at the gym I wont talk boxing to anybody.
caneman
QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ May 4 2011, 03:14 PM) *
i may be wrong but it kinda seems like it takes the die hard fans to help get the casual fans juices rolling to want to watch these fights... and truth is fans are growing tired of the pac game as well as the mayweather game... for pac its he isnt fighting the best available comp and mayweather just isnt fighting... ive seen all kinds of advertisement on dish network.. there is even a special channel dedicated to the fight... well there is a channel dedicated to all major ppv fights once the fight is within a week or so close.. but point is no one really gives mosley a chance and these manny fights are becoming side show attractions... of course this fight is going to sell but it will become increasingly interesting after this fight and lets say manny fights marquez later in the year how people react to who he chooses to fight... i have a hunch the excitement will start waning a little.. people only want to see easy fights for so long even from their hero...

maybe im in the minority on this but why dont pacs team just call mays bluff and except the test up till the fight and see what happens... its the only way they can say for sure mayweather is ducking if they accept unlimited testing and all of a sudden he still turns the fight down... thats my two cents on it all... neither guy have anything left to prove but to fight each other.. its the only fight they have that matters... martinez dont matter at this point or anyone else... they are forever linked... rather for a fight or a non fight but they are forever linked to each other now...

Pacman is gonna have to take the test it would seem to fight PBF!!! I gotta question though since everyone is always shitting on Pac's comp...I admit to catch weights suck but who is he suppose to fight? I mean really he should have went right after Berto & go that belt but really. For the most part it's Pacman vs Mayweather or nothing barring either one having enough balls to step up to Maravilla which I honestly think it would be Pacman who does that before PBF & it would be at a catch weight! Other than that the only fight that would be interesting is JMM but even @ 140, these days Pac will eat him up!
I really wanna know who y'all think Pacman should be fighting thogh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
King Eugene
QUOTE (caneman @ May 4 2011, 11:06 PM) *
Pacman is gonna have to take the test it would seem to fight PBF!!! I gotta question though since everyone is always shitting on Pac's comp...I admit to catch weights suck but who is he suppose to fight? I mean really he should have went right after Berto & go that belt but really. For the most part it's Pacman vs Mayweather or nothing barring either one having enough balls to step up to Maravilla which I honestly think it would be Pacman who does that before PBF & it would be at a catch weight! Other than that the only fight that would be interesting is JMM but even @ 140, these days Pac will eat him up!
I really wanna know who y'all think Pacman should be fighting thogh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bradley or Judah are two fights I wouldn't mind seeing.
caneman
QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 4 2011, 10:22 PM) *
Bradley or Judah are two fights I wouldn't mind seeing.

Not bad but those guys are light @ 140 and should be looking to fight each other if Bradley vs Khan ain't made! But these guys are more worthy than Cotto, Clottey & mosley? Or Margarito even off a loss & I ain't blind, I think the catch are bull shit but it is a smaller guy taking on bigger fighter who have been @ that weight. I swear when I read some of these post I think the Mayweather family wrote it sometimes & I am not referring to you Ryan! Thing is while there might be a few smaller non mega fights out there, we really only have Pacman vs PBF for the most part...I think both would be crazy to fight Maravilla even @ 154!
caneman
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 4 2011, 10:39 PM) *
Bradley, JMM, Maidana, Khan, Ortiz, Rios, Matthysse . . . just someone with a pulse that is coming up and prime. Is that too much to ask? I don't care if none of them have a chance, supposedly. Fight live bodies. Enough of the damaged eggs and heavy bag impressionists.

Those ain't bad but Pacman & Khan will NEVER fight & I think it crazy that gets brought up so much & other than Ortiz, those guys are smaller...and a few too freaking slow! Robert Guerrera would be better than most those guys I think!
King Eugene
QUOTE (caneman @ May 4 2011, 11:34 PM) *
Not bad but those guys are light @ 140 and should be looking to fight each other if Bradley vs Khan ain't made! But these guys are more worthy than Cotto, Clottey & mosley? Or Margarito even off a loss & I ain't blind, I think the catch are bull shit but it is a smaller guy taking on bigger fighter who have been @ that weight. I swear when I read some of these post I think the Mayweather family wrote it sometimes & I am not referring to you Ryan! Thing is while there might be a few smaller non mega fights out there, we really only have Pacman vs PBF for the most part...I think both would be crazy to fight Maravilla even @ 154!

Thats the thing though, not EVERY fight has to be a megafight.

Sergio is way to big for either, neither should look in that direction.

They guys at 140 aren't too small. Hell they are all relatively the same size as Pac. I mean really though you cant count them all out because they are slower than Pac or doesn't to hit as hard as him. Hell KT wasn't faster than most of his opponents but his timing was superb. Thats why fights are fought. Anything can happen on any given night.
The Ollie Reed Fan Club
Pac stays at 147. Marquez could come up. Even if you disagree with the judging he has drawn one and lost one to Pac. Pac is the bigger draw. If he wants some he should go to 147. I'm not a fan of him at this weight based on his performance against Floyd but he and Pac have obvious chemistry and the closeness of the previous fights mean he has earned the right for a 3rd go round.

If he is so confident he should take the 5 mill and make the fucken fight. The last I guy I saw turn a 3rd fight down for more money was Mosley and it still rates as one of the dumbest business moves I've seen in boxing.

Other than that Bradley could have some at 147. Only problem is he can't draw flys to shit. I think Pac would destroy him, however as Fitz often says better to see him prove it rather than speculate it.
ViperSniper
QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ May 5 2011, 03:39 AM) *
Bradley, JMM, Maidana, Khan, Ortiz, Rios, Matthysse . . . just someone with a pulse that is coming up and prime. Is that too much to ask? I don't care if none of them have a chance, supposedly. Fight live bodies. Enough of the damaged eggs and heavy bag impressionists.

Even Berto would have been a good fight. Even past WW challengers in Cintron, Collazo and Quintana would show Pac something different than past opponents!

QUOTE (King Eugene @ May 5 2011, 05:09 AM) *
Thats the thing though, not EVERY fight has to be a megafight.

Sergio is way to big for either, neither should look in that direction.

They guys at 140 aren't too small. Hell they are all relatively the same size as Pac. I mean really though you cant count them all out because they are slower than Pac or doesn't to hit as hard as him. Hell KT wasn't faster than most of his opponents but his timing was superb. Thats why fights are fought. Anything can happen on any given night.

Excellent point!!!

I've always thought the same thing. They have gotten so greedy where Boxing (on the big stage anyways) has been put in a position where every PPV has to be bigger than the last which is bullshit. How can there be so many megafights out there with no legitimate fights being made inbetween??

Mosley is old n shot and has been selected to not only get a beating but to be taken out! But they are spinning the fight on small possibilities of an upset with the whole "Manny is not taken him lightly!" Well if Mosley is a live opponent..why would Manny take him lightly to begin with?

Even if all the fighters above don't have a great chance, they have a better chance than Mosley who has not looked good for the past 3-4 years. With all these young fresh guys they could still use the same selling point as well! It's upsetting that these poor fights continue to be made and the worst part is, Manny's stock rises after every one of them!
salvador
QUOTE (caneman @ May 4 2011, 10:06 PM) *
I gotta question though since everyone is always shitting on Pac's comp...I admit to catch weights suck but who is he suppose to fight?

I totally agree. If anyone had asked about this fight the night Mosley ko'd Marg nobody would have had a problem with it. Since then, Mosley came closer than anyone to actually beating floyd (with the possible exception of Castillo in their first fight.) I'd much rather see Pac fight big wws than walk through all the Bradleys and Khans of the world - which he would, easily. Pac fighting all these huge wws is something we're all going to remember when we're old.

In the meantime, he's getting paid tons of money while he waits for Floyd. The drug tests are the best thing that's ever happened to Pac's wallet.

And I like your Guerrero idea in a later post. Very interesting.
salvador
QUOTE (Fitz @ May 8 2011, 08:47 PM) *
Do you still agree with this statement? Time after time, it is proven that old shop worn fighters aren't up to it with Manny. Do you seriously still believe that these old bigger guys are going to do better and put in more of an effort than smaller, hungrier and fresher fighters?

Obviously I was wrong about Shane and that was very sad. In the 3rd round it dawned on me that in his youth he would have been bouncing quickly like a meth addict and now he was lumbering and a bit oafish compared with pac - and that there's no way a lumbering fighter is ever going to beat the best in the world.

That said, when I line up Clottey, DLH, Marg, and Cotto as opponents for a guy who started out at 106 and got kod twice at 112, I think those fights will end up being as impressive as his fights with Morales/JMM/Barrera ect. And yes, I know, the fights with the little guys were much better fights. My point is that the bigger/older guys were more dangerous and when he was fighting them in his mid/late 20s, the thought of him competing at 147 was unthinkable. Every one of those guys could have ko'd Pac.

I would still much rather have seen Pac fight the guys above rather than Bradley, Khan, or Maidana - all of whom Pac will blow through.

mexi-cutioner
QUOTE (salvador @ May 9 2011, 05:57 AM) *
Obviously I was wrong about Shane and that was very sad. In the 3rd round it dawned on me that in his youth he would have been bouncing quickly like a meth addict and now he was lumbering and a bit oafish compared with pac - and that there's no way a lumbering fighter is ever going to beat the best in the world.

That said, when I line up Clottey, DLH, Marg, and Cotto as opponents for a guy who started out at 106 and got kod twice at 112, I think those fights will end up being as impressive as his fights with Morales/JMM/Barrera ect. And yes, I know, the fights with the little guys were much better fights. My point is that the bigger/older guys were more dangerous and when he was fighting them in his mid/late 20s, the thought of him competing at 147 was unthinkable. Every one of those guys could have ko'd Pac.

I would still much rather have seen Pac fight the guys above rather than Bradley, Khan, or Maidana - all of whom Pac will blow through.

That's an ambitious statement to say the least. Maidana yea probably, but I doubt Pac would "blow through"either Khan or Bradley with ease...
salvador
QUOTE (mexi-cutioner @ May 9 2011, 08:10 AM) *
That's an ambitious statement to say the least. Maidana yea probably, but I doubt Pac would "blow through"either Khan or Bradley with ease...

Bradley doesn't have the power to keep Pac off of him and would therefore have no chance whatsoever. I'd almost like to see this fight just because I think Bradley is so overrated. And with Khan it would just be a matter of time before his chin got cracked.
neophyte7
I agree Bradley would get overwhelmed.. throw his overrated pillow fisted ass out of the pac discussion. Someone above said that Shane came close to beating PBF.. LMAO wow... a guy gets buzzed for a few seconds and he almost lost???
salvador
QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 9 2011, 12:19 PM) *
I agree Bradley would get overwhelmed.. throw his overrated pillow fisted ass out of the pac discussion. Someone above said that Shane came close to beating PBF.. LMAO wow... a guy gets buzzed for a few seconds and he almost lost???

It was the most buzzed of Floyd's career - including Corley. If Shane had landed one more good shot Floyd would have lost. With the exception of the first Castillo fight, I can't think of any time Floyd was ever closer to losing. If you can think of one, tell me.
neophyte7
people feel he lost Castillo I, yet it looked like any other PBF fight to me despite him being injured. What prevented Shane from landing the one more shot that you say would have resulted in him losing? It was PBF's awareness and ring smarts which tells me he was aware enough to hold and therefore not in danger of losing... He was buzzed for a no more than 30 seconds and came right back to hammer Mosely... If he had been unable to answer back then I would agree, yet that was not the case.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.